Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#176 Old 1st Apr 2015 at 8:14 PM
Blargh, this badly needed updating so long ago, I just had so little time to play sims 4 let alone work on the challenge for it. I did a quick first pass and got careers in there at least. Highlights:

1. added new professions for GTW to conventional careers list
2. added support for herbal remedies, insect collecting, photography and retail to unconventional careers.
3. added rule about selling stuff in retail - you can if you rolled to normally be able to sell that stuff, otherwise you need to roll the special career to have a retail shop, and that shop can only sell things that don't fit under other categories.
4. added rule allowing a re-roll in the case of rolling multiple "professions", such as the new GTW careers and retail careers.

I've got to run off because I'm still sort of busy, but I'm going to try to check the last few pages of the thread for suggestions/questions. If anything's been mentioned that's really important, it might bear mentioning again, just so I'll see it.

My sims blog
Currently playing: Katran Random Legacy
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#177 Old 3rd Apr 2015 at 6:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tigger89
I've got to run off because I'm still sort of busy, but I'm going to try to check the last few pages of the thread for suggestions/questions. If anything's been mentioned that's really important, it might bear mentioning again, just so I'll see it.

Thank you for updating the random legacy challenge! One correction to make to the rolls:

C1) Conventional Careers should have us roll 1-23 rather than 1-24, because you skipped number 17 when you numbered them. So Athlete/Bodybuilder should be 17 and etc ending with Scientist as number 23.
Test Subject
#178 Old 3rd Apr 2015 at 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Big Mud
I have a few questions about the "Dependable" roll - does it apply to children in the household as well? and does "missing" work mean not doing the daily task? or does it mean skipping work? And if it's the latter, would you count taking personal days (vacation days/maternity leave) as missing work?

4: Dependable - Your heir, spouse and helpers must complete all daily tasks for school and work, beginning in childhood or upon move-in to the house. If three days are missed in school, or five days missed in work, the goal is failed. Re-roll if no conventional careers are rolled this generation.

The Dependable goal appears to apply to the heir, spouse and helpers. A different generational goal would apply to the children.

Since it is specified that the daily task MUST be done, "missing" appears to apply only to the act of going to work or school. Since the goal provides an allowance for missing some number of days of work/school, it would probably be reasonable to assume that one would do so using the mechanism supplied within the game (e.g. Vacation days or Family Leave). In other words, only 3 days of school vacation, and 5 days of work vacation/leave. I have only just started with GTW, so it will be interesting to see how illnesses play into this. OP could probably address this further.

Speaking of which, thank you for updating the challenge, tigger89!
Test Subject
#179 Old 5th Apr 2015 at 8:44 PM
For aspirations, Joke Star is actually not possible as a Freelance Comedian, as it requires you to join the Entertainer career, but Bestselling Author is possible, as you are allowed to sell comedy books.
Instructor
Original Poster
#180 Old 5th Apr 2015 at 11:01 PM
Alright, made another pass, this time focusing on the goals and fun. And sorry about not being able to count, fixed that.

1. Added Memorial and Themed Display to goals.

2. Added Vacationer to Miscellaneous Fun. Vacationer can be completed with the base game only, as it will require you to take days off of work and have a day trip around town. But if you have the OR pack(or any future pack that allows vacation destinations) you're required to use the OR rule option.

3. Tweaked Dependable. When that was originally written, vacation days were not a thing, so I had to build in some kind of allowance. The new rule is, there are no "miss" days, but you can use any vacation days you're given to skip attending work or school on that day if you're not going to make it.

4. Also went back and tweaked Perfect Attendance. No vacation days for your perfect attendance sims!

I'm going to look at the aspirations and careers again, in light of the patches that made careers much less intensive in terms of additional tasks that earn money. I'm considering scaling back the allowed money making actions for conventional careers, only allowing what's pretty much intended as a part of the career(like selling paintings or books for the appropriate careers) or that's a special ability granted by reaching higher levels of that career(can't think of any off the top of my head, but I know they're there, I'll consult carl's guide when I re-write). Then I'll loosen the aspirations a bit and say that a little bit of making money is allowed(on the order of $500-$1000) if you only do the bare minimum. Thoughts on that?

My sims blog
Instructor
Original Poster
#181 Old 8th Apr 2015 at 3:26 AM
Minor fix to Memorial - photography only goes up to level 5, not level 10. So you only need the photographer to be at level 5 in order to take a memorial photograph. And omg, maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but photography has got to be the most grindy, awful skill to level up in the history of the sims. Every other skill has skill books to study, right? Not photography! As far as I can tell, the only way to increase photography skill level is to take pictures, and I can't seem to find anything that makes that process less mind-numbing. I guess I'll have to come up with my own photo collection to complete? How did EA expect us to level this, just spam selfies for a sim afternoon? Am I just missing the incredibly obvious option to help my sim level the skill? I expected this level of BS from sims 3, not sims 4! Argh!

My sims blog
Scholar
#182 Old 8th Apr 2015 at 10:48 AM
Minor fix to Memorial - photography only goes up to level 5, not level 10. So you only need the photographer to be at level 5 in order to take a memorial photograph. And omg, maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but photography has got to be the most grindy, awful skill to level up in the history of the sims. Every other skill has skill books to study, right? Not photography! As far as I can tell, the only way to increase photography skill level is to take pictures, and I can't seem to find anything that makes that process less mind-numbing. I guess I'll have to come up with my own photo collection to complete? How did EA expect us to level this, just spam selfies for a sim afternoon? Am I just missing the incredibly obvious option to help my sim level the skill? I expected this level of BS from sims 3, not sims 4! Argh!

Aw I loved photography, it was the first thing I tried.
I decorated the backdrops, and built a wall in front of the back of one so I could use wallpapers instead of the backdrops, once they'd become overused. I was playing without mods but murals will be really good for backdrop use now. I just wish the finished pics were larger, or more defined. I got some nice landscape shots as well.
These were some of the first shots I took, I have more the entire lot was covered in pics and the photographers store walls filled up really quickly as well.

Instructor
Original Poster
#183 Old 9th Apr 2015 at 4:05 AM Last edited by tigger89 : 9th Apr 2015 at 4:26 AM.
That's a good idea. If I had a career roll for it, I would have gone for an elaborate setup like that, but as it is I was just thinking it would be cool to use a photo of my founder as their memorial object. That's still my plan, just working on skilling it up.

My founder Chaya Harley(the one not in the hospital bed):

Her children:

From left to right, we have Emily(the eldest, and the one with the photography habit), Lily(the youngest, and heir) and Teddy. All three with different fathers, as Chaya...well, let's just say she really knew how to pick them. Teddy's father was actually a coworker of Chaya's, mostly as a proof of concept to see if it could successfully be done. Turns out, it can be, and inviting the father along to the hospital for the birth when both the father and the mother work at the hospital doesn't break your game. And yes, I saved before I tried that one.

EDIT: Oh, and I've also just found out that Lily is half-alien, because apparently her father was an alien in disguise. Figures, he was actually the only one of the three dads that didn't appear to have anything wrong with him, traits-wise - I was using his career as a weak justification for Chaya deciding not to keep him around. I have no idea what her status means, in terms of game mechanics, but she looks normal to me.

My sims blog
Test Subject
#184 Old 10th Apr 2015 at 5:13 PM
hello everyone I started playing this challenge and I am blogging it here
http://westernground.blogspot.com.au/
Instructor
Original Poster
#185 Old 14th Apr 2015 at 10:13 PM
Since I didn't hear any feedback, I went ahead and updated the aspirations and careers list to reflect the simplified requirements present in the game now. More than half of all aspirations are now able to be completed without restrictions, with Musical Genius and Painter Extraordinaire given special dispensation(licensing 1 or 2 songs and selling 3 paintings, respectively). I also removed extra abilities from many careers that had previously been used to get promotions but now had no purpose. If you're in the middle of a generation and your legacy is effected, you may continue performing the tasks you'd been doing before until the end of the generation, at which point the new career rules will take effect. I believe I caught every special career ability and allowed it, but let me know if I missed anything.

Obligatory legacy update! Many bugs, still plodding along. I got a better picture of the kids all in one place and in good lighting:

I rolled full house for generation 2, and am currently torn whether to keep Teddy as help or move in 3 new friends. Emily won't be staying as she's too artistic for the weird nerdy-jock party house dynamic that's going to be going on next generation, which is good because somebody has to get married and start making grandbabies, for the sake of Chaya's Big Happy Family aspiration. She did complete the memorial for Chaya though:

My sims blog
Scholar
#186 Old 16th Apr 2015 at 6:17 PM
New Update-https://sims4legacyandoherfunthings.wordpress.com/2015/04/14/chapter-1-2-anabella/
Test Subject
#187 Old 17th Apr 2015 at 12:46 AM
Awesome! Love Legacy Challenges! Meet my founder... Pambo Ferrari! http://i.imgur.com/UqrNzns.png

Here Are My Rolls!:
Marital Status- Couple
Children- 2
Heir: Secret Agent (diamond agent)
Spouse: Entertainer (comedian)
Generation Goal: Perfect Careers
Miscellaneous Fun: Fighter
Woot! Here we go!
Instructor
#188 Old 17th Apr 2015 at 5:47 PM
I always try and play new challenges but get bored quickly. The random legacy challenge is the only one I ever stick and enjoy. I loved it back in sims 3 and actually finished one. I've just made a new legacy in sims 4 and on the 3rd generation but it seems like i've played the family forever. I've decided to name all the members of the legacy flowers, plants or spices names (god help when it gets to q or x haha).

The first generation was a total struggle I rolled a single mother (Anais) with 3 kids (Bay, Camellia & Daisy) who was a fishersim with a generation goal of owning a collection (I did MySim Trophies) and had to make gourmet meals every week. I just never had any money as I didn't have time to fish that often. I finally got enough money to move out to a bigger lot and be able to build the foundations of a big house. As soon as my heir turned into a teen I had her start her rolled career as a freelance painter and began selling these to be able to continue to build and decorate my house. In the 3rd generation the house was worth 350,000 and thats with no cheating.

For my 2nd generation I had Bay as the heir and she rolled Single with 1 help (I picked her sister daisy), with 2 kids (Edelweiss and Fennel) and as I said rolled freelance painter. Daisy rolled retail so I had her open up a wedding dress shop and rather than Bay sell paintings to collector I had her set up her own retail shop for paintings (I know this is a little bit of rule breaking but I find just selling paintings to collector boring and easy, it takes alot more time to sell via retail and only getting a small profit more.) There generation goal was a memorial which I did with photography pics and once again gourmet.

3rd Generation I had Edelweiss as heir (Can't help but have a girl heir, prefer dressing them etc) and she rolled single with 2/helper (I chose her brother Fennel and gave him a partner called Ginger), She rolled 3 kids (I chose 2 to have with random townie and then thought she could be surrogate for Fennel and Ginger (both males) to add a bit of spice to the story (omg didn't even mean that intentionally haha spice= fennel and ginger hehe) called the children Honeysuckle, Indigo (boy) and Jasmine. Edelweiss rolled the doctor career and Fennel Business Investor and his partner Ginger Retail (Bakery Shop), generation goal was Party King/Queen and Homemade.

Just started my fourth generation with Honeysuckle she rolled mixed single (am having her adopt 2 and then have 1 child), 3 kids (Not sure names yet) and she rolled the detective career generation goal is perfect children and hobbyist.

Been really enjoying it so far. I think I might just add the photo's of my legacy in different picture threads instead of her and then at the end just post a pic of all the legacy heirs.
Test Subject
#189 Old 17th Apr 2015 at 10:17 PM
Update: Pambo has found his lady friend http://i.imgur.com/4nAqoc1.png
Test Subject
#190 Old 18th Apr 2015 at 8:13 PM
Her guys, can you help me?
(After a couple of attempts) I finally reached generation 2 of my legacy! I rolled really nice parameters (I'm adding them in spoiler because I'm planning to post my legacy and some of you might read it and I think it's nicer for readers to be surprised about what's going to happen)

So the problem is that I just bought GTW, I already tried most of the basic things in a separate save but I still was to have a roll with at least something new from the expansion pack. Also I think most of the people that will read my legacy will want to see some expansion pack things as well. I rolled again and I got this:

Which is nice too. So can anyone tell me what you would prefer?
Test Subject
#191 Old 19th Apr 2015 at 4:48 PM
Luka, the second one sounds better
Test Subject
#192 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 1:47 AM
Question, if my heir ages up before the generation goal from the previous generation is completed, do I lose? Or should I continue playing with those sims until the generation goal is completed?
Instructor
Original Poster
#193 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 6:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LuminaryPrism
Question, if my heir ages up before the generation goal from the previous generation is completed, do I lose? Or should I continue playing with those sims until the generation goal is completed?

You have until the sims in the previous generation die to complete their generation goal. However, if the heir ages up, they will be bound by their own rolls, so you will have a lot more to keep track of if you've got multiple generations going at once!

My sims blog
Lab Assistant
#194 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 4:21 PM
So here are my rolls:

For the heir succession law, I'm choosing a tolerant, modern, merit-based, strict equality rule for my heirs. This basically means that anyone (alien or human, adopted or biological) can be an heir provided that their gender is the opposite of the founder and any subsequent heirs. Also, they must work for the title as it will not be handed down to favorites or the underdog.

- Single with Two Help
- FIVE children
- Founder's Career: Freelance Musician
- Spare #1 Career: Athlete (Bodybuilder)
- Spare #2 Career: Gardner
- Perfect Children
- Health Nut

Some of these work really well together. I don't think I'm going to blog this one as I want to get my feet wet and see how far I can go in this. Maybe the next go around, I'll blog the challenge. Off I go!
Test Subject
#195 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 10:09 PM
Ok, thanks Tigger! I really need to get Pambo's wife working harder, they both aged into elders and the heir has about 7 days till he ages up, Pambo thankfully is close to his half of the generation goal
Test Subject
#196 Old 21st Apr 2015 at 5:52 AM
Okay!, this is my first time doing a Random Legacy so here goes nothing...

I rolled
Marital Status 17: Mixed Couple
Children: 5 (!!)
Career: Doctor
Secondary Career: Astronaut (Space Ranger)
Gen Goals: Deadbeat Parents
Misc Fun: Homemade

Oh, man. Homemade is gonna be hard on first gen. Oh well, my luck was pretty good!
Test Subject
#197 Old 21st Apr 2015 at 6:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DeLoure
So here are my rolls:

For the heir succession law, I'm choosing a tolerant, modern, merit-based, strict equality rule for my heirs. This basically means that anyone (alien or human, adopted or biological) can be an heir provided that their gender is the opposite of the founder and any subsequent heirs. Also, they must work for the title as it will not be handed down to favorites or the underdog.

- Single with Two Help
- FIVE children
- Founder's Career: Freelance Musician
- Spare #1 Career: Athlete (Bodybuilder)
- Spare #2 Career: Gardner
- Perfect Children
- Health Nut

Some of these work really well together. I don't think I'm going to blog this one as I want to get my feet wet and see how far I can go in this. Maybe the next go around, I'll blog the challenge. Off I go!

You'll have to think about how you want to do "merit" for picking heirs. It will help if you have the kids in quick succession. I tried to do "merit" with five kids as potential heirs. Of course, since they were mixed parentage, my founder had to go and woo five different fathers, slowing down the process considerably. I ended up basing this on progress towards childhood aspiration completion. As the parents were deadbeats, the kids were often hamstrung and none of them completed. Even so, I've got two-three days before the prospective heir (kid #4) ages up to YA, and kid #5 is (thankfully) ineligible.
Test Subject
#198 Old 21st Apr 2015 at 6:42 PM
So, I rolled Retail owner with Collector as the generational goal. Can I just sell unneeded/duplicate collectibles at my store or does it have to be something else?
Scholar
#199 Old 21st Apr 2015 at 8:13 PM
I have another update, Chapter 1.3
Instructor
Original Poster
#200 Old 22nd Apr 2015 at 5:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ZetshiaGudani
So, I rolled Retail owner with Collector as the generational goal. Can I just sell unneeded/duplicate collectibles at my store or does it have to be something else?

"Manage a retail store that does not sell anything that's covered by any of the other options above."

I believe that all collection items are covered by other non-standard careers. If you can find something to collect that isn't(maybe microscope prints or telescope pictures?), then you're good to go. Otherwise, you can have something like an appliance store, or a furniture store.

My sims blog
Page 8 of 26