Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2021 at 7:17 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Can I delete a sim I just made? They haven’t met anyone or left the sim bin.
I made a couple. It turns out, I’d already done this. I didn’t want creepy dopplegangers. The couple don’t know anyone but each other, as they have yet to leave the sim bin.

-THEY ONLY KNOW EACH OTHER
-I JUST MADE THEM AND THEY ARE STILL IN THE BIN

Can I delete them?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 19th Jan 2021 at 7:34 PM
No you should not delete them. It may seem safe now, but somewhere down the line their mere existence can lead to neighbourhood corruption. Even though they never left the Sim bin, the game has already created their character files and has written random invisible memories to these sims (you can check this using HoodChecker). The random invisible memories occur regardless of their location in game. The best way to delete them would be by following this tutorial in order to reduce the risk of neighbourhood corruption.

If you simply do not like the sims and do not want to go through the process above, I suggest the better way is to load them to a lot, kill them (whichever way you please- i.e. Rodney's Death Creator, or torture), and relocate their graves to a cemetery in your neighbourhood (it even may give you a good neighbourhood story in the process). Also, make sure to have the mods noted in the Essential Mods thread (nounlinkondelete, and I think there's 2-3 more) so you don't risk any corruption in case you decide to kill them. I'd also suggest getting other mods (and HoodChecker) in that thread in order to prevent other corruption-related issues.

Call me Seth!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jan 2021 at 7:54 PM
If I already deleted them, can Hood Checker remove the data fragments?
Space Pony
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Jan 2021 at 8:09 PM
I ran Hood Checker and it showed “user doesn’t exist and it gave me some files that I think are the fragments. I had it delete them. I hope that fixed it. I’m going into SimPE to double check. I wish SimPE didn’t take so long to load EVERYTHING...
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#5 Old 19th Jan 2021 at 9:19 PM
I'm not super familiar with HoodChecker (and still need to learn SimPE myself), though that definitely has do to with the deleted sims unless you also have a multiple-PT mod or a multiple Ideal Plantsim mod installed? But on top of that, that exceeds the 4-8 character files.

Call me Seth!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Jan 2021 at 9:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by trambling101
I'm not super familiar with HoodChecker (and still need to learn SimPE myself), though that definitely has do to with the deleted sims unless you also have a multiple-PT mod or a multiple Ideal Plantsim mod installed? But on top of that, that exceeds the 4-8 character files.

Okay, well thanks. Hopefully my game will be okay. If all fails, I do have a recent back up.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 19th Jan 2021 at 11:33 PM
If I remember correctly, HoodChecker does not fix the damage caused by deleted character files. The fragments are there now and they won't go, however, that is true if you used the bin. If you followed the tutorial someone else linked above, which I'm not sure is 100% safe, but is much safer when compared to the bin, then you should be fine, somewhat.

In the future, you can either give them plastic surgery to look different then make those changes genetic with SimPE (there are tutorials online), or you could give them different names and clothes and create a sort of clone storyline for the hood. Deleting should not be an option.

It is also recommended to get NoUnlinkOnDelete and NoCorruptDeath, to prevent unlinked character files and memories of death corrupting the hood.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Space Pony
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Jan 2021 at 12:37 AM
I do have all the anti-corruption mods. So hopefully having unlinked data will not cause any problems? These two sims only knew each other as I had just made them. I feel kinda bad for deleting them and not just leaving them in the bin. I feel guilt about stuff like that. But a version of them already existed in my neighborhood...

Oh, I also have Batbox. SimPE got stuck loading the Sim Viewer, so... I suppose I could try to erase the remaining fragments in game somehow??
Mad Poster
#9 Old 20th Jan 2021 at 1:53 AM
Whatever you do, DON'T attempt to delete the fragments. That just makes a bad situation worse. The "fragments" or "shredded files" are the game's way of trying to keep track of deleted Sims.They contain an instance number by which the game can still keep track of them.

Don't delete them at all. Far safer to keep them in the game. Change their appearance and names, and turn them into townies or something. But, if you do delete them, don't make the situation worse by trying to delete their files!!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 20th Jan 2021 at 2:35 AM
If you don't want a sim/sims either make them over and turn them into townies or put them on a small lot, add a prison token to their inventory to stop them showing up places or kill them and add to a graveyard, all far safer. Be sure you have no link on delete because the game will delete graves or sims will smash urns leading to corruption.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#11 Old 20th Jan 2021 at 11:14 AM
Sim has no Character file from Hoodchecker is just a warning not an error, the game will delete from your neighbourhood any sim that has no character file so it's not possible for a sim to actually have no character file, it just means the sim(s) is somewhere other than the Characters folder like in your Downloads folder where Hoodchecker can't find them.

If you have already deleted the sims in game then leave it at that, the game won't delete them but 'unlink' them leaving just enough of them to keep them linked and they may not ever cause a problem if you leave them alone. If you haven't deleted them then don't, find something else to do with them as suggested above.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Jan 2021 at 1:39 PM
I already have. So no need to panic since I have no-unlink? Thanks Chris! By the way, how are you?
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 22nd Jan 2021 at 1:38 PM
So? Can we say it's safe to delete a newly created family, IF, we have NOT started the game. When started, even though the family has not been placed in a home, it will use the binned family as walk-a-byes. Allowing possible interactions with other sims and thus having memories formed. I wouldn't think that fragmented memories would be an issue deleting the family prior to starting the game.

Does anybody know for sure?

Thanks!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 22nd Jan 2021 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Savagegrace
So? Can we say it's safe to delete a newly created family, IF, we have NOT started the game. When started, even though the family has not been placed in a home, it will use the binned family as walk-a-byes. Allowing possible interactions with other sims and thus having memories formed. I wouldn't think that fragmented memories would be an issue deleting the family prior to starting the game.

Does anybody know for sure?

Thanks!

Well... that depends on which side of the fence you are on. Some say always dangerous others say okay. I am with the first group. Why risk it when you can simply kill them or do other things?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~