Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Aug 2020 at 2:11 AM
Default Hair transparency after converting hair from The Sims 4 to The Sims 2

I've been converting meshes a lot lately and have run into lots of transparency issues like this. I'm following this tutorial , and if it helps, I always put 5 as the opacity in hair_alpha5's comments. Should I not be doing this?

I have attached the mesh and recolour file.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  LIONCUTHAIR.rar (1.42 MB, 10 downloads)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Aug 2020 at 7:45 AM
That issue happens because of mesh layering, a common problem with meshes that only have one layer. One way to fix it is to separate the individual layers and piece them together again in the correct order, maybe also leave them separated with different opacity in the mesh comments (if using Milkshape) but with the same group name (so you don't need extra textures).

It can be a lot of work, though.

In Milkshape, top to bottom, correct order is head/scalp first, then back layer to front layer for each layer, innermost to outermost layer. Separating layers is easiest in Blender, but getting a proper layer sequence and the afterwork is often easiest in Milkshape.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Aug 2020 at 6:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
That issue happens because of mesh layering, a common problem with meshes that only have one layer. One way to fix it is to separate the individual layers and piece them together again in the correct order, maybe also leave them separated with different opacity in the mesh comments (if using Milkshape) but with the same group name (so you don't need extra textures).

It can be a lot of work, though.

In Milkshape, top to bottom, correct order is head/scalp first, then back layer to front layer for each layer, innermost to outermost layer. Separating layers is easiest in Blender, but getting a proper layer sequence and the afterwork is often easiest in Milkshape.

The scalp is the first layer and the only "separating" I did was take the full mesh out of the layers in blender; the other two were hat groups.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 31st Aug 2020 at 1:28 PM
What I meant is that the mesh may need to be more separated and layered properly to not get the alpha issues. TS2 usually computes the layers in a mesh in a spesific order when you use transparency, and prefers them more like clothes on a winter day - thet need to be in the right viewing order, or things start looking a little wonky. If it can't distinguish the "bra, shirt and jacket" from each other, or the outer/inner layers of these, you get the alpha issues. It tries to show the "bra" on the outside, so to speak (in hair terms, of course), which means the bottom transparency overrules the top transparency in the same layer (has to do with vertex order/numbering and some other things, too).

By parting up the mesh, you tell the layers where they are supposed to go.

Some 3t2/4t2 meshes don't have this problem, some only have a small problem area, and other again are just a big problem all over.