Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Dec 2020 at 12:29 AM
Default Menstrual Cycle/Pregnancy Mod - Advice, Tips, Etc
Because I love to complicate my life I decided I want to start working on exactly what the title says: a menstrual cycle and pregnancy mod. I've had several ideas since 6 months ago when I started to get interested in modding and creating my own stuff (I even did a presentation because I tend to forget stuff). I was focused on other things lately (like learning some modding stuff and real life) but I want to start working on this before the year ends.

Pregnancy Ideas:
- Pregnancy tests (I already did a small rabbit hole interaction that needs polishing and I'm currently working on how to fix the shadow of my object, the objects isn't scrippted yet tho)
- Custom moodlets and motive changes for each trimester, for example anxiety and irritability during the first trimester, or an increase in libido during the second
- Worse pregnancy symptoms like acne, constipation, heartburns, fatigue, insomnia, etc
- More social interactions like 'Ask for advice/support' to sims with children, 'Tell to relax' to pregnant sims, 'Choose baby name', 'Tell partner the baby is not theirs', more romantic interactions, etc
- More interactions/activities like 'Blog about pregnancy', 'Search for nursery ideas on Simterest', maybe knitting or embroidery, scrapbooking (I wanted to add yoga but I saw someone's working on that)
- Check-ups & ultrasounds in the second trimester (health, due date, gender, no. of babies)
- Changes in weight and breast size (I think there's a mod that does that here but maybe I'm wrong)
- Unwanted pregnancies
- A pregnancy tracker app with tips and progress of the pregnancy

Menstrual Cycle Ideas:
- Variable fertility for menstrual phase, considering life stage
- Short, regular and long menstrual cycles, irregular ones too
- Tampons, pads/liners and menstrual cups
- First menstruation and menopause
- Premenstrual Syndrome including acne, cramps, sleep problems, mood changes, etc
- More social interactions like 'Talk about period' to teenage sims
- Birth control and contraceptives
- High and low fertility
- A Period and Ovulation Tracker app, fertility treatments

I think this is a complex and very conssuming project but I really want to do it. I have some questions and I want advice too if it's not too much to ask.
- Is something about this list impossible or really hard to achieve?
- How can I load this mod to every female sim on the world and assign them a random phase automatically?
- What is the easiest thing to start working on it first? (I think the moodlets but maybe I'm wrong)
- How can I disable 'Try for baby and make variable fertility for each menstrual phase?
- How can I disable the 'Pregnant' buff until the sim has taken a pregnancy test (and a positive result)? I think it would be fun if I don't know if my sim is pregnant until birth if she doesn't take a pregnancy test, maybe she's too fat or is in denial?
- About the ultrasound, is it possible to determine the number of babies at the second trimester and locked it until birth? I was thinking in using the way the game determines the number at birth, I don't know if the same way the doctor can lock the gender of the baby.

And I think that's all, for the moment. If you have more ideas I'd like to read them.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 8th Dec 2020 at 5:23 PM Last edited by MissPat : 8th Dec 2020 at 5:41 PM.
Heya @nitzims! I love all your ideas. I did think about such a mod over the summer but my script modding skills are too humble for now. Here is what my initial research for such a mod brought up:

Hope that helps!

Feedback for your ideas:

I'm going to tag @lizcandor as she did work on a pregnancy mod here: https://modthesims.info/d/645254/mi...-pregnancy.html

I do believe Lyralei constantly recommends to start with a moodlet tutorial as it helps gain understanding of the game's code: http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp..._Script_Mod.pdf
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Dec 2020 at 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MissPat
[*] the TS3 adult mod "Kinky World" does include a menstrual cycle / fertility cycle (period of time when a female sim can become pregnant), however it achieves this feature by injecting a lot of extra stuff in EA code, which makes the mod unstable. In short - it is good for gameplay inspiration, not code implementation.

First of all, thank you so much for replying this. I'm a newbie at modding but I really want to create this mod. I'm checking all the links you shared, and regarding OKW mod I'm checking its code on ILSPY since yesterday morning. It seems the fertility system is using eggs, a 'womb' and other stuff, I'll try to take what is useful but I don't want to make an unstable mess either.

- "Tell partner the baby is not theirs", I love this, makes me giggle so bad One alternative I thought of, was, having pregnant moms to plan a baby shower or a gender reveal party and the guests would have the interaction with the father "ask who is the real father"! Evil-trait and mean type sims would have a blast.

Oh, I knew I forgot to add something! I have on my presentation (I was not joking, I have several presentations for mods ideas) Baby showers and Diaper parties. I love the gender reveal idea, hopefully it won't start a fire... and that 'Ask who's the real father?' is everything.

- "More social interactions like 'Talk about period' to teenage sims" > I would love for that to be influenced by the sims traits, with "socially awkward" parent sims having cute but awkward outcomes through this, haha! Like the teen would have funny reactions / follow up questions.

I love this and I plan to add it. I was thinking in teen girls freaking out if they get their first period without knowing about it (either having the talk or searching in the web) or getting embarrased if they got it with a lot of people in the same room or at school.

I'll start working on moodlets and my objects then. Thank you again!
Forum Resident
#4 Old 8th Dec 2020 at 7:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitzims
Oh, I knew I forgot to add something! I have on my presentation (I was not joking, I have several presentations for mods ideas)

I love how nerdy you are with your WIPs! I want to know more about this, maybe start a separate thread about your presentations with visual samples? I could def pick up your method (I'm a data nerd too).

Baby showers and Diaper parties.

You had me at "baby showers".
... You lost me at "diaper parties".

We are still talking about babies wearing diapers, right?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Dec 2020 at 1:35 AM
I love how nerdy you are with your WIPs! I want to know more about this, maybe start a separate thread about your presentations with visual samples? I could def pick up your method (I'm a data nerd too).

I'd like to share some of them but I'm not a good data organizer, lol. I'd love to share a calendar I'd made for my future rotational save tho, I'm really proud of that. It has seasons, events, birthdays, and notes; it only needs a playable world but I'm not in the mood to build houses lately.

We are still talking about babies wearing diapers, right?

I didn't know about this but apparently diaper parties are baby showers but for men, I think it would be funny to have that option (I think I've to check how to bachelor's party functions but I'm doing the pregnancy test object, but Milkshape's crashing a lot).

--------------------

So, I have some questions.
1. How can I use all assemblies in my solution? I started to layout my project (I'll attach a screenshot) and I can't export all assemblies into S3PE. Looking into some mods, a lot of them are using assemblies (or what I think are assemblies), so I'm confussed because I don't know what to do. Is it possible to merge them (sounds kinda dumb, I know)?
2. Is there a tuning for 'Try for Baby' and where can I find it? I was thinking in replacing this interaction (or 'Woohoo') for a custom one where I can implement the menstrual cycle.
3. Is it possible to make this compatible with Nraas mods (specially the mod that starts with W)? I like the moodlets and if I'm planning to do a custom Woohoo interaction I'd like to have those options too.

The first question is the one that matters most to me at this moment, because I want to start testing my stuff. I already have an assembly with all the buffs I'm planning to do (I've finished one) and I'm working in some objects too.

Edit: I added some screenshots of the stuff I'm working on.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#6 Old 13th Dec 2020 at 2:53 AM
"Apparently diaper parties are baby showers but for men, I think it would be funny to have that option (I think I've to check how to bachelor's party functions but I'm doing the pregnancy test object, but Milkshape's crashing a lot)." > Wow, I learned something new! I'll have to look it up, sounds like a new parenting trend. Love the pregnancy test object you designed so far. What does the simlish say? Reminds me of this pregnancy test object that I found on simblr a while ago.

About your questions:
1) "How can I use all assemblies in my solution?" The SharpDevelop expert on the forum is @Battery - tagging to see if you can get some help here.

2) I have no idea, I did assume that Nraas Woohooer mod did modify the "woohoo" interaction since it can change how "risky" players want woohoo to be. Can't help further on this point I'm afraid. I'd say look up LostAccount Hospital Overhaul mod. I know that SimsMX has a Hospital Overhaul mod but it seems not to be properly coded as it can break other mods when loading the game.

3) ChainReaction who runs the Nraas website and actively maintains the Nraas mod suite is one of the most helpful modder out there. He actually helps lizcandor with her polygamy mod project. Sign up at Nraas and reach out in the sub "developer" board, he'll definitely get back to you within a few days / weeks.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Dec 2020 at 3:09 AM
@MissPat It says exactly what it says on this image, the stick says 'pregnant' and 'not pregnant'. About your answers: I didn't know about LostAccount's mod, I'll look into it. I knew about SimsMX's one but didn't know about the code. I didn't know I could ask at Nraas, I've already have an account so I'll be posting something soon.
Space Pony
#8 Old 13th Dec 2020 at 11:10 AM
About your questions:
1) "How can I use all assemblies in my solution?" The SharpDevelop expert on the forum is @Battery - tagging to see if you can get some help here.

Im not sure excactly sure what the problem is do you get any compile errors ? if not you can just compile every Project to generate your DynamicLinkedLibrary (assembly) and import them with S3PE. I would suggest using as few assemblies as possible so you might want to merge some of your projects for overall better performance.

If you are interested in an ovulation cycle i might also be able to help, this is one of the features i planned to implement into my Pregnancy mod back in the day when i had more time and motivation.

If you are interested i can share some info on my implementation i worked on back then (if i can still find my work in progress files after all that time and data loss due to my hdd failing some time ago) otherwise i might be able to start from scratch maybe i even update my mod... one day... with all the things i wanted to do
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Dec 2020 at 7:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Battery
Im not sure excactly sure what the problem is do you get any compile errors ? if not you can just compile every Project to generate your DynamicLinkedLibrary (assembly) and import them with S3PE.

First, thanks for coming to my rescue... again. Last time you helped me with a little mod I'm planning to add in this mess I plan to do. I'm not having problems with compiling at all, I think because my project is still in bare bones. My issue (I don't know if it really is a real issue if you say I can import all my assemblies) is, as you can see in a screenshot I attached, in both mods there is only one dll. But when you decompile them, both mods have several assemblies (I attached another screenshot) inside. Also, when I look inside the references of those mods (and others, I've decompiled a lot lately) they only reference sims 3 assemblies, I don't know if the decompiler doesn't show this but I needed to reference every other assembly I had in my solution if I wanted to use something from another assembly.

If you are interested in an ovulation cycle i might also be able to help, this is one of the features i planned to implement into my Pregnancy mod back in the day when i had more time and motivation.

If you do that, I would be so grateful that I would even put an altar and pray to you every day.
Screenshots
Space Pony
#10 Old 13th Dec 2020 at 8:59 PM Last edited by Battery : 13th Dec 2020 at 11:06 PM.
Hey @nitzims,

as far as i know one dll is also always one assembly so you could interchange these. If you mean the things with the {} these are different namespaces within one assembly.

In that picture Battery, Battery.AI, Battery.Buffs etc are all just namespaces within one assembly/DLL so if you were to add

namespace nitzimsLabs.TOM.Gameplay{} in line 10 on picture 3

over

namespace nitzimsLabs.TOM
{

you would have that namespace aswell in one assembly. And i really recommend using just one dll unless you want to split your mod into different *.package files for some reason

I will search my storage next week, i will let you know if i was able to find the cycle code or not.

E:
Quote:
I needed to reference every other assembly I had in my solution if I wanted to use something from another assembly.

That is one of the downsides when using differnt assemblies also when you update one of them all other ones using functionality from it might need to be recompiled in order to work again
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Dec 2020 at 9:16 PM Last edited by nitzims : 14th Dec 2020 at 2:40 AM.
@Battery I feel so dumb now, but I least I laughed for a few minutes.
I'll use namespaces then, thank you so much.

Edit: I didn't want to do another post but I'm so happy now! I moved all my classes to my main assembly and when I decompiled it all my namespaces appeared. Also, I kinda fixed a problem with Milkshape so I wanted to show the pregnancy stick I made. I think I'll be working in making it functional first.
Screenshots
Space Pony
#12 Old 15th Dec 2020 at 5:08 PM
Bad news it seems you need to scrap that crazy altar idea ^^, i could not find my prototype files (really should have made a backup back then )

But fortunately my brain has still some grey matter left between all those holes so i remember some things ... not just the excavct implementation down to the character

On a very basic level using a dictionary SimID as key and the current time within the cycle (or a more complex object that holds more information) then create an alarm that cycles through the dictionary if you need to make changes (depending on your implementation you could save on performance by not using an alarm at all and just save a value for the cycle time and compare that value only to the current time if needed.

I know this was very perfunctory, but if you need help with the explicit implementation we can write about that aswell you would just have to supply some more info on what that method needs to do so technically you are not the only one who needs to start from scratch...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th Dec 2020 at 1:16 AM Last edited by nitzims : 18th Dec 2020 at 12:16 AM.
Bad news it seems you need to scrap that crazy altar idea ^^, i could not find my prototype files (really should have made a backup back then )

I can still light a candle in your honor, you're helping me a lot. :lovestruc

(depending on your implementation you could save on performance by not using an alarm at all and just save a value for the cycle time and compare that value only to the current time if needed.

I think it would be better to take this route if I want this system loading on every female sim. I'm still thinking how to make this function while I'm working on some moodlets, but I've been looking at OKW mod and apparently they use a class named "Womb" where menstrual phases are used. These menstrual phases seem ratherly useless to me because they only have a numer of eggs that set the duration of each phase, except for the ovulatory one that makes the pregnancy happen. I'd rather use minutes or hours than eggs, but it's just my opinion.
I'm interested in this part of the code, though.

I'm also interested in making menoupase happen during the adult life stage, similar to Nraas Story Progression where you can disable pregnancy depending on how many days an adult has to age up to elder.

And this is part of a method where they update each phase which I think it can be useful if I want to add moodlets and change the fertility.

I asked before if I can replace the wooohoo interaction with a custom one and it seems possible because Nraas Risky Woohoo exists, but what about replacing Try for Baby with fertility changes during the menstrual cycle?

And lastly, I was working yesterday on a pregnancy test I made. I looked at the cigarrete pack by Cmomoney and I think I'll be doing something similar but how can I make a sim go the toilet when interacting with my object? I want that to happen and then play a custom animation depending on the result of the test, age, traits and maybe funds and relationship status.
Space Pony
#14 Old 18th Dec 2020 at 6:57 PM
I can still light a candle in your honor, you're helping me a lot. :lovestruc
I think it would be better to take this route if I want this system loading on every female sim. I'm still thinking how to make this function while I'm working on some moodlets, but I've been looking at OKW mod and apparently they use a class named "Womb" where menstrual phases are used. These menstrual phases seem ratherly useless to me because they only have a numer of eggs that set the duration of each phase, except for the ovulatory one that makes the pregnancy happen. I'd rather use minutes or hours than eggs, but it's just my opinion.
I'm interested in this part of the code, though.

Hmm hard to tell what the OKW mod does from the code snipped you provided but it doesnt look o disimilar to my implementation at first glance do you have to full code or mod dl ?
Btw the implementation doesnt attach data to your sims it runs data parallel but thats just semantics. Depending on the implementation this mod either has multiple alarms for each Sim Cycledata or one alarm for all of them(my last implementation). You can just assign a delta time to each phase in the cycle and run the desired effects on them.

I asked before if I can replace the wooohoo interaction with a custom one and it seems possible because Nraas Risky Woohoo exists, but what about replacing Try for Baby with fertility changes during the menstrual cycle?

I had the same idea but if i am not mistaking i think nraas already replaces the interaction so it might be safer to remove that interaction and add a custome one instead (thats at least what i am going to do)

And lastly, I was working yesterday on a pregnancy test I made. I looked at the cigarrete pack by Cmomoney and I think I'll be doing something similar but how can I make a sim go the toilet when interacting with my object? I want that to happen and then play a custom animation depending on the result of the test, age, traits and maybe funds and relationship status. cycle?

That "should" be fairly simple to get started i would just copy the use toilet interaction and at the very end add your pregnancy test method. So the sim goes to the toilet and when finished your method gets called with the test result.

If you need some code let me know and i will try to provide it.