Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Dec 2022 at 11:10 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Having trouble placing the Elixir Shop Sign back in its original location after a mishap occurred
A couple of days ago while modifying the Aleister's Elixirs and Sundries lot, I accidentally saved the lot after deleting the roof to see what the lot would look like with a flat roof. I didn't intend to save the lot with no roof. But I accidentally saved it when I pressed the 'Live Mode' button while reaching for the 'Change Wall Mode' button while it was expanded.

The button retracted as I was about to click it, which caused me to click the 'Live Mode' button which was right behind the 'Change Wall Mode' button. Since I had made lots of unsaved changes to my Bridgeport save, I was forced to save my game and then rebuild the roof. I managed to rebuild the roof. But now I can't move the Elixir Shop Sign back to its correct location.

I don't have any recent backups to revert to. All recent backups were saved over since they were too outdated or irrelevant to keep. If I had kept a backup and had to recover the lot via the Lots and Houses Bin, the chances are that the terrain height would be messed up. Since the location of the lot didn't originally have terrain there. As you can see by the screenshots and thumbnails I've posted, the first position of the Elixir Shop Sign was too low. While the current position of the Elixir Shop Sign is too high.

Trying to place the Elixir Shop Sign in the right place causes it to be too low. The same issue happens with the unedited copy of the lot if you try to move the Elixir Shop Sign and then try to move it back. I was going to use NRaas' Master Controller Mod to record the horizontal and vertical radiuses of the Elixir Shop Sign before and after the mishap. But the Elixir Shop Sign doesn't appear on the list of objects to display the object info of.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Dec 2022 at 12:14 AM
I've repainted the entire lot. And replaced various objects with similar but more expensive items. I often replace objects if there are more expensive but similar looking objects on the market. I do have a few backups. But none of them are recent enough to be worthwhile copying the lot. I do use 'Save As' but because the lot isn't built on flat terrain, I didn't want to risk any issues with the uneven surface if I had to copy the lot from a recent backup. There is actually water where the terrain is by default.

I had to place several lots on Hamming Pier Road which is mostly surrounded by water by default. Since Bridgeport, unlike Moonlight Falls, doesn't have much routable terrain that isn't already occupied. I didn't accidentally hit 'Save'. I accidentally hit 'Live Mode'. And unfortunately once I hit 'Live Mode', I was unable to go back and undo the changes I accidentally made to the lot. There aren't any recent existing backups. Since I always tend to use 'Save As' instead of 'Save'. And I only keep two copies of my saved game, minus a few backups dating from last year.

I already tried using 'Alt' before starting this thread. But I was unable to adjust it to the right height. If you're able to, you may want to try and see if you can move the sign, and then try and move it back to its default position, like I'm trying to do right now.

Side note: The surface of virtually all the pre-made lots that I placed on Hamming Pier Road from the Lots and Houses Bin aren't level with the surface of the road. Similar to how the surface of the Curious family household in The Sims 2 isn't even with the ground level.

I would have used the 'constrainfloorelevation false' cheat to fix the ground level. But unlike in The Sims 2 where pretty much everything apart from the staircases will be adjusted automatically with the terrain level, the height of most objects in The Sims 3 including the walls won't be adjusted automatically, and have to be adjusted manually.

I would rebuild the lots from scratch. But that would require a lot of time and patience.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Dec 2022 at 12:54 AM
Sadly it isn't possible to adjust the height of the Elixir Shop Sign using the mouse. I haven't tried using ; or ' though. So that might work. The Elixir Shop Sign is a special sign that only seems to be placeable on roofs unless moveobjects on is used.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Dec 2022 at 3:00 AM
Trying to move it with Alt does work. Except that what I'm trying to do doesn't work. As I need to adjust the height of the sign. I can move the sign just fine. It's just the height that's the problem.
Instructor
#8 Old 2nd Dec 2022 at 4:10 PM
do you mind sharing more screenshots where you actually put extra lots in Bridgeport?

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Dec 2022 at 10:20 AM
Here are the seven additional lots that have been built on Hamming Pier Road. Well the Mahoney Penthouse is the only lot that was actually built on Hamming Pier Road. The other ones are pre-made lots that were copied from other worlds. Since they were pre-made lots, and since they weren't placed over flat surfaces, the terrain level is somewhat uneven. Unfortunately I forgot to take more screenshots showing exactly where I placed each lot. I thought that my previous screenshot of Hamming Pier Road would have been enough. The following lots are:
  1. Fire Department (renamed Community Fire Station, as it is representing the Community Fire Department from the community lot bin, and because I try to avoid using American terms such as 'Fire Department' where possible, as I'm a New Zealander)
  2. Mahoney Penthouse (as this penthouse was built from the ground up, the game doesn't recognise it as a penthouse, and as a result, my Sims sometimes roll wants to live in a penthouse. I flattened and evened out the surface of the terrain, prior to building the penthouse)
  3. Bayless Memorial Junkyard (renamed Grady's Junkstop, as it is representing the Junkyard from the community lot bin)
  4. Aleister's Elixirs and Sundries
  5. Port-A-Party Warehouse (I wanted to use it instead of the Port-A-Party Mini Warehouse from the community lot bin, but there wouldn't have been enough space for me to place it. So I've kept the Port-A-Party Mini Warehouse in its original location, and the Port-A-Party Warehouse on Hamming Pier Road)
  6. Twinbrook Buy and Bargain Consignment Shop (renamed Maunganui Buy and Bargain Consignment Shop, as a reference to the fact that I've been remodelling Bridgeport to look more like Mount Maunganui which is a town in my home country. I wanted to use it instead of the Landgraab Sell n' Swap from the community lot bin, but there wasn't enough space for me to place it. So I've kept the Landgraab Sell n' Swap in its original location, and the Twinbrook Buy and Bargain Consignment Shop on Hamming Pier Road)
  7. Zoomsweeper Test Track

Why? Were you thinking of giving me tips on how to adjust the terrain to ground level without damaging the lots?
Screenshots
Instructor
#11 Old 3rd Dec 2022 at 2:08 PM
Wow, thank you for sharing your idea! I've actually only been able to place 30x20 next to the Floodgate Apartment, across the empty penthouse (what was it called?). I think I'm going to try it, though I hope my laptop would be able to handle Bridgeport with more additional lots.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Dec 2022 at 2:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
? Did you try the cheat code I gave above? "SetImportedTerrainOffset #" Test it in one lot, save that lot into the bin. Bulldoze it. Then using the code above prior to placing the lot to adjust the lot height and plot it in.

For example, if you previously put in a lot that was lower, adjust the lot height to the main part of the lot before replacing it. Then the lot will match the height, but the road edge would be wedged up from previous placement. Simply use the level terrain tool to fix that edge and your lot is perfectly aligned. Same for those which was placed previously higher than the lot.

The only thing I'm not sure is that I don't think I've ever tested it on water front lot... but it should be the same.

I haven't yet. I'm more concerned about getting the sign in the right place. Maybe once I've done that, I will be prepared to try fixing the lots that I've imported that are now on uneven surface.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Dec 2022 at 2:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by legacyoffailures
Wow, thank you for sharing your idea! I've actually only been able to place 30x20 next to the Floodgate Apartment, across the empty penthouse (what was it called?). I think I'm going to try it, though I hope my laptop would be able to handle Bridgeport with more additional lots.

Which empty penthouse? A full list of houses and penthouses can be found here.
Instructor
#14 Old 4th Dec 2022 at 8:12 AM
It's Veranda Villas, the land across it's flat enough to place a few small lots.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#15 Old 4th Dec 2022 at 11:52 AM Last edited by C.Syde65 : 4th Dec 2022 at 12:04 PM.
Is it located under "roof decoration?"

If it can be moved via moveobjects, holding alt should work.... unless it is one of those objects that is forced snap on, like a counter. in such cases you can try the counter trick. place a "treadmill" in the location of the sign, then hold the alt and see if you can move the sign without it autolocking.

Using Alt doesn't help. As I need to adjust it vertically. Not horizontally. Do you know if there are any mods that might be able to help? Currently the sign is placed slightly closer to the back of the roof than it was originally. Placing the sign back in its original location results in the sign being vertically too low. And as a result, part of the sign sinks through the roof. And doesn't look right.

I was planning to redesign the property and make it into a lot with a flat roof. Which would eliminate the need of having to put the sign back in the right place. But I'm not ready to do that just yet. If I ever am ready to do it. Since the unsaved changes that I made to the lot didn't look good enough for me to save. So I undid the changes, restoring the default roof.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 4th Dec 2022 at 7:53 PM
From what you are describing it seems to be a floor sign, which then there is no way to adjust the height. The reason it looks sinked in is because your new roof's pitch is a lot steeper than the original.

There is a mod... that can do what you want these kind of objects, but I am unfamiliar with it.

https://modthesims.info/d/428179/on...2-nov-2011.html

I doubt that. I tested it with the original. And the same thing happened. Since I hadn't accidentally deleted the smaller part of the roof, I was able to rebuild the larger part of the roof to the same height. I'm pretty sure that's a mod that I tried shortly before asking this question. But I was unable to get anything out of it.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#19 Old 13th Dec 2022 at 6:06 AM
I have replaced the roof of the Aleister's Elixirs and Sundries lot as of yesterday, so placing the Elixir Shop Sign back in its original location will no longer be required. The lot's redesign is still under construction. But at least I won't have to worry about trying to place the Elixir Shop Sign back in its original location anymore.