Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Dec 2022 at 8:27 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game Closes After Family Loading Screen?
Hi all, I'm in a bit of a pickle and hoping you all can help me.

I haven't played Sims 2 since like, July or even before then this year, but I was itching to go back to it now that I have time off work. I'm currently playing Veronaville, but I'm encountering a problem. Whenever I load up a specific household in Veronaville, the game flat out closes. No warnings, no crashing sounds, nothing. The loading screen does its thing, then goes right back to my desktop. I don't understand why. When I last played this hood and family months ago, I had absolutely no problems whatsoever. I loaded the family, and the game would continue just peachy. But now it will not let me play this family. Additional info about the problem:

-I have left the game untouched since I last played it. Nothing new has changed.
-I do have a LOT of mods/CC, but it's the same amount as before with no problem.
-I have run HoodChecker after and before each playthrough, removing all problems it encounters.
-I am using Tarla's clean hood templates.
-I haven't changed any files or whatnot.
-I could load up another family just fine.
-I do have all my hoods backed up from before this happened.
-Yes, I have the 4GB patch installed.

So, I'm completely confused. When I loaded up another family, the game seemed to have reset itself as if it's my first time playing (gives me tips, had edge scrolling, all that). I wonder if it happened because of the forced switchover to the EA App once Origin went kaputz. Maybe doing that reset the game entirely? But even so, my hoods are still there as before, but this is giving me problems. Maybe it's because I *just* finished installing a massive Windows 10 update that I had been putting off for a long time due to it throwing me errors whenever I tried...I don't know.

I reeeeeeeeeeeally don't want to have to go back and replay everything. I have everything backed up though, like I said, when everything was totally fine. I don't know what to do, as I haven't played Sims 2 in months, and now that I'm back around doing so, it won't cooperate. I've tried three times already, and it's the same results every time. If it makes any difference, my graphics card is some version of AMD Radeon. Any advice would be appreciated!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Dec 2022 at 3:46 PM
The reappearance of game help tips etc. would indicate that you the change to app did reset your game settings, and presumably your neighborhoods, but as long as your sims really win their memories, makeovers, etc., l would assum that this did not affect your game data and is a separate issue. Redo your game settings and be alert for other changes or anomalies and treat this household’s problem as it’s own issue unless you find evidence to the contrary.

The most common reason for a lot-specific crash like that is corruption on the lot. That could be a problem with the lot, an item on the lot, something attached to a sim on the lot, or actual character corruption. To work through these possibilities systematically, I would:
1. Back up the neighborhood.
2. Open the neighborhood in SimPe.
3. Open each character’s memory in turn looking for weirdness to delete, and delete any found. Memory and inventory are kept in the same place, so this will take care of two possible sourc s of the problem.
4. Open house th game and try to open the house. If it crashes, load the game again and use the neighborhood “more be family” tool to send the family to the family bin. Open the lot. If it crashes again, that should mean that the problem is the lot,and you can just bulldoze it and say that the house was destroyed by a falling satellite or something.
5. If the lot doesn’t crash, move the family into a different lot. If that lot won’t open, either, I am sorry for your loss. If it does, then there must have been some weird interaction between sim and lot that will probably be impossible to track down, and you can resume play.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Dec 2022 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
The reappearance of game help tips etc. would indicate that you the change to app did reset your game settings, and presumably your neighborhoods, but as long as your sims really win their memories, makeovers, etc., l would assum that this did not affect your game data and is a separate issue. Redo your game settings and be alert for other changes or anomalies and treat this household’s problem as it’s own issue unless you find evidence to the contrary.

The most common reason for a lot-specific crash like that is corruption on the lot. That could be a problem with the lot, an item on the lot, something attached to a sim on the lot, or actual character corruption. To work through these possibilities systematically, I would:
1. Back up the neighborhood.
2. Open the neighborhood in SimPe.
3. Open each character’s memory in turn looking for weirdness to delete, and delete any found. Memory and inventory are kept in the same place, so this will take care of two possible sourc s of the problem.
4. Open house th game and try to open the house. If it crashes, load the game again and use the neighborhood “more be family” tool to send the family to the family bin. Open the lot. If it crashes again, that should mean that the problem is the lot,and you can just bulldoze it and say that the house was destroyed by a falling satellite or something.
5. If the lot doesn’t crash, move the family into a different lot. If that lot won’t open, either, I am sorry for your loss. If it does, then there must have been some weird interaction between sim and lot that will probably be impossible to track down, and you can resume play.

Alright. I'll try this out. Thanks for the tips. Sims 2 can be so frustrating sometimes, I swear!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Dec 2022 at 3:48 AM
Update: so far, moving them out and onto a new lot seemingly worked for now! Thanks so much!!!