Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Elsewhere -- Neighbourhood with lots

by plasticbox Posted 19th Mar 2009 at 7:52 PM - Updated 13th Jan 2015 at 4:21 AM by plasticbox

361 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 325 Feedback Posts, 35 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 15
Scholar
#76 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 8:42 AM
*gaaaaaasp* 0_o Friggin' awesome!!!
Field Researcher
#77 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 8:52 AM Last edited by koololdster : 19th Mar 2009 at 5:55 AM.
I'm totally going to have to download this now!! You are amazing!!! I can't wait to make my Northern Beachy families. Thanks for making my wait for Sims 3 time painless!
I wanted to add that I did download it. It's beautiful! I converted Lot 3 to an apartment lot. I had to take the garbage cans off the 3 back porches. I also deleted all but one mailbox. It wouldn't let me convert it until I put the mailbox and 1 garbage can in the "common" area. I also deleted the car and added a 'fixer upper' from Freetime. (I don't know if the car was a problem.) The hobby car is one I've used in other apartment lots. The residents can actually fix it and drive it. They can't own it and take it when they leave though.
Thanks again!!
Test Subject
#78 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 9:02 AM
Thank you so much! You have completely read my mind! I'd always wanted a neighbourhood with lots of backdoor lane lots but i'm terrible at arranging them without messing up the terrain and overall looks of my neighbourhood. This is absolutely great. I can't wait to play it.
Field Researcher
#79 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 9:12 AM
This neighborhood is really nice. I can imagine how much time it took you to do all of this, since I have a hood I built up for a story that is still a work in progress. (The terrain IS huge, though.)

I'm really posting to thank you so much for that information about flooded lots going from Seasons to BV. My above-mentioned hood has a lot of that type of lot, and I have been toying with the idea of adding another EP to my up to Seasons game install. I definitely don't want that hood to look funny, so I'll definitely forget about BV until I've finished my story and have time to play around with fixing the look of the hood.

Stories (okay, LEGACIES), Tutorials, and Downloads at my sim journal:
http://rikkulidea.livejournal.com
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#80 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 9:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Quinctia
I'm really posting to thank you so much for that information about flooded lots going from Seasons to BV.

The people we *really* need to thank for that info are the testers, not me! =) I'd never have known about this if they hadn't told me that it looks funny for them. In any case, I'm glad it's helpful .. and I'm happy to see that there are people who actually *read* all that stuff!

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 9:42 AM
Ooh, neat-o! I can add my beachy rowhouses and it'll be super spiffy!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#82 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 9:52 AM
Like it says in post #1: There IS NO sc4 of this terrain. It is edited in-game, and there is currently no way to export an .sc4 from TS2, so there is no point in posting about it.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Instructor
#83 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 10:02 AM
A really adorable little village, thank you so much! =)
Instructor
#84 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 10:12 AM
Great work its fantastic

Check out my own site click HERE
Test Subject
#85 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 10:22 AM
Cool neighbourhood!!
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 10:32 AM Last edited by nina-x : 19th Mar 2009 at 2:45 PM.
Thank you so much! This looks like a great neighbourhood, I can tell you worked very hard to get this ready for all of us!
I love all your work
nina

*edit* I have just installed the NBH and it works perfectly Transferred the Harbour into a home-buisiness of home-grown veggies (created a gardenplot for that *lol*), flowers and fishies

I believe that I have seen a *fish anywhere* invisible pond, must go back and get that because such a mod will complete this lot

Thanks again!
Nina
Test Subject
#87 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 10:42 AM
This is beautiful, I almost wet my pants! thank you so much
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 10:52 AM
This is wonderful, I love it. I've had no problems so far and put it in my game this morning, thank you.
Test Subject
#89 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 11:02 AM
Thank You So Much! I Love All OF Your Houses!

I Just Wish I Had The Patience To Do This

Jenni x
Lab Assistant
#90 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 11:12 AM
I LOVE YOU! This is teh best thing evur!
Seriously, I love all of your stuff, especially the Backdoor Lane lots, and you are the most talented builder out there! A full neighbourhood full of pbox's awesomeness, it's to die for. Thank you SO much, I'll put it in my game right away! *feels so happy now*
Lab Assistant
#91 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 11:22 AM
Love the neighborhood but I am having a problem. The lots where there is suppose to be water is just ground. I have been reading everything pb wrote, but am a bit confused. I should move the lot? Put it back and it should show up? I have everything up to M&G.

Thanks!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#93 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 11:42 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 19th Mar 2009 at 4:44 PM.
Soneen,

are you talking about neighbourhood view or inside the lots or both? I don't think moving the lots would change anything, since the terrain already is correct and you don't have a Seasons game in the first place.

It worked for the testers, at least one of whom also has up to M+G, so all I can think of is that there is somehting about your graphics that is different -- in-game settings, graphics card, driver ...

Can you post your system specs? I've seen pictures (unrelated posts in Help) from people with integrated graphics chips and low RAM where the water isn't rendered properly in the first place; I could imagine that in those cases, it simply won't work.

If you want, PM me and I'll add you to the betatesting group where you can see everybody else's screenshots and system specs etc.

nina-x,

I believe you're talking about the invisible pond that already IS in the lot. Near the houses, behind the dock, is a small 3x3 area underwater that is flat -- that's where I put it. Hover your mouse over there and you'll get the "Fish" option in live mode.

Field Researcher
#94 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 11:52 AM
After several hours of playing I have encountered a problem!I moved a Sim and her cat into the Pink Flamingo Hotel. When I try to get her a job I get the "Application has crashed" message. This has happened twice. I didn't have problems doing anything else, but getting my Sim a job.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#95 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 12:02 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 19th Mar 2009 at 5:16 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by koololdster
After several hours of playing I have encountered a problem!I moved a Sim and her cat into the Pink Flamingo Hotel. When I try to get her a job I get the "Application has crashed" message. This has happened twice. I didn't have problems doing anything else, but getting my Sim a job.
This only happens with this lot, yes?

Can you try taking out the community phone and see if that makes a difference? Perhaps it wasn't a good idea to put it in there, or perhaps it conflicts with a phone-related mod you have. I think I playtested this with sims that already had jobs, so I wouldn't have noticed if it was a general problem.

In any case, please do test without CC first, in case you haven't done that already (take out everything except what's in elsewhere_customcontent) -- there are plenty of CC issues that manifest themselves when getting a job (there's even an old bodyshop download somewhere that makes the game crash when a sim who wears it tries to get a job), so first we should see whether it has anything to do with the lot at all.

transmogrified
retired moderator
#96 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 12:12 PM
As so many others have said, this is simply amazing. I'm blown away by how far you and other modders have been able to push the limitations of the game. (Seriously, rowhouses were impressive. Streetless lots? Mindboggling.) Thank you for sharing your work and taking the time to document so many of the technical details underlying it.

More to the point, the thought of playing this neighborhood has made me excited about Simming again. I was up most of the night developing a storyline and inhabitants for Elsewhere, though I'm a bit stymied by the isolation of Cod Island. I'm treating it as a kind of exile for now, but is there any reason I couldn't/shouldn't use a teleporter to bring other Sims to that lot?
Lab Assistant
#97 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 12:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Soneen,

are you talking about neighbourhood view or inside the lots or both? I don't think moving the lots would change anything, since the terrain already is correct and you don't have a Seasons game in the first place.

It worked for the testers, at least one of whom also has up to M+G, so all I can think of is that there is somehting about your graphics that is different -- in-game settings, graphics card, driver ...

Can you post your system specs? I've seen pictures (unrelated posts in Help) from people with integrated graphics chips and low RAM where the water isn't rendered properly in the first place; I could imagine that in those cases, it simply won't work.

If you want, PM me and I'll add you to the betatesting group where you can see everybody else's screenshots and system specs etc.

6 North Beach Lane – Starter House

That is the lot where I don't get to see water while being on the lot itself. I haven't tried any other lots as of now. The fishing does work, it just looks rather silly seeing my Sims fishing on grass!

What specs do you need pb? I shall leave you a pm pb, because I really want to help figuring out this issue.

-S
Field Researcher
#98 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 12:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
This only happens with this lot, yes?

Can you try taking out the community phone and see if that makes a difference? Perhaps it wasn't a good idea to put it in there, or perhaps it conflicts with a phone-related mod you have. I think I playtested this with sims that already had jobs, so I wouldn't have noticed if it was a general problem.

In any case, please do test without CC first, in case you haven't done that already (take out everything except what's in elsewhere_customcontent) -- there are plenty of CC issues that manifest themselves when getting a job (there's even an old bodyshop download somewhere that makes the game crash when a sim who wears it tries to get a job), so first we should see whether it has anything to do with the lot at all.

Thanks!! It probably was the CC. My Sim had a CC outfit on. When I took CC out she got a job. Not only that when I took her to buy new clothes she met Capt' Bart who lives isolated on Cod Island! You are the best!
Field Researcher
#99 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 12:42 PM
*faints* Ah-mazing.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#100 Old 20th Mar 2009 at 12:52 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 19th Mar 2009 at 6:36 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by mangaroo
Is there any reason I couldn't/shouldn't use a teleporter to bring other Sims to that lot?
You can certainly try that -- I didn't try it and haven't mentioned it, because I did all testing without any hacks/mods whatsoever. For all I can tell i guess it would work; the teleporter I normally use (Inge's) does seem to act like a portal in itself.

Quote: Originally posted by koololdster
Thanks!! It probably was the CC. My Sim had a CC outfit on. When I took CC out she got a job.
Thanks for getting back; good to know it wasn't a problem with the lot. Here's a FAQ that may help you to find the problem CC: http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?..._Custom_Content

Quote: Originally posted by Soneen
What specs do you need pb? I shall leave you a pm pb, because I really want to help figuring out this issue.
Added you to the testing group.

Honestly, I don't *know* what specs are important -- I'm not a Windows person after all. I'm just guessing it might be a general graphics issue, since N515 seems to work fine for other M+G users.

Do you happen to have any mods that affect graphics, water, shading and suchlike? Can you test without CC to rule out that those are causing issues?

It might make sense to post your specs in this thread as well, so that more Windows-knowledgeable people can see them (not only those that are in the testing group). Screenshots might also be helpful, of one of the lots and of neighbourhood view (I don't think we need to look at each lot separately, if they all behave the same for you).

Page 4 of 15