Replies: 42 (Who?), Viewed: 1859 times.
Page 1 of 2
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 4:00 AM
Default Do You Still Play The Sims 1 Or Have You Replaced It With A Later Game
I love the sims 1, I still played it even 5 years after The Sims 2 base game came out but then stopped sometime after The Sims 2 Apartment Life came out. One of my favorite worlds of all time is the Old Town recreation Neighborhood for the sims 2, now I only play or want to play The Sims 2 and The Sims 3, I don't think I'll ever go back to playing the original series as is, unless it's a reboot with 3D gameplay. To me I don't have any reason to play the sims 1 anymore, I've replaced it with the sims 2 because the sims 2 with all expansion packs offers so much more then The Sims 1 with all Expansion packs, such as cars, garages and just so much more detail and much more things to do.

The biggest thing is the aging for me, in the sims 1 the sims will never grow any older past babies to children growing up their is no teen elders, toddlers. or young adults, babies become children but, children stay children forever and the adult's head can never change grow old or anything, you can't even have gay marriages in the sims 1, but you can still have gay couples though that can adopt a baby believe it or not. The sims 2 and The Sims 3 in my opinion is the best 2 sims on PC game series

Now that I have a faster computer I don't plan on ever returning to the original sims series on PC because I found the sims 2 have most things that the sims 1 has.

But missing from the sims 2 is magic and fame 2 things that make me sorta want to change my mind though how about you

My personal radio station link in first post (commercial free and all music) listen with ANY web Browser now enjoy, this is a gift
me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheAngelClassicRocKMix
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 5:06 AM Last edited by HarVee : 21st Jul 2022 at 5:18 AM.
I still have the TS1 Complete Collection installed, last time I played it I was rebuilding old town into a fantasy tudor town where all the "freaks" live. We're talking skeleton pirates, magical elves, even a couple fairy Sims and the like. Mortimer and most of the original Sims died long time ago in my game, so it's kind of a new generation that has moved in and rebuilt the town anew.

While TS2 and TS3 offer more in terms of simulation and customization TS1 still holds a special place in my heart to me as it was my first Sims game, though I started with the PS2 version first then moved to the PC version, so I wasn't really around much in the community in the early days. Hell, even in these later days I'm still not around much. Heh.

The only real thing that bothers me in TS1 isn't even the lack of aging, genetics, 2D graphics and such. But rather the fact you can't customize and build custom neighborhoods. You're stuck with old town regardless of how much of a makeover you do to it. And as a person that rather enjoys creating neighborhoods and "worlds" as TS3 calls them, that lack of ability to do so does, on occasion, cause some demotivation to play TS1.

As for the TS2 and even TS3 remakes of old town, I feel they just don't capture the essence of the original no matter how hard they try. This is probably due to not having all the same buy and build objects so a lot has to be substituted.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Lab Assistant
#3 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 7:08 AM
I would like to play Sims 1 but installing with CDs isnt possible and I can't play Games with low resolutions :/ there is a version where you can hack it to be 1080p but still a pain and I cant handle that so I never tried
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 10:08 AM
A lot of my early sims nostalgia is centered on Bustin Out (consoles)—that was truly the first sims game I enjoyed. After watching a few YouTube gameplay videos of TS1, theres a temptation to reinstall my copy of the complete collection and explore the game myself. TS1 motive decay makes the game quite difficult imo and never clicked with me.

I’ve had such a miserable experience with it on modern hardware too. People complain about setting TS2 up on modern hardware when it’s a breeze to me (after doing it so many times over the years) but I haven’t ever been able to get TS1 to run as smooth.

If and when I do get around to reinstalling it, I will definitely try it with that dgVoodoo wrapper because it can really help those stubborn old PC games.
Instructor
#5 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 10:20 AM
I played it a lot when I was a kid and I still couldn't play sims 2. But nowadays I wouldn't be able to. At a minimum I would need aging and family tree.
Just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 11:26 AM
Yes! I play it from time to time. I have all four iterations of The Sims installed, at the moment I play Sims 2 most, Sims 3 second, Sims 1 third and Sims 4... hardly ever.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 2:54 PM
Ever since I got Sims 2 running I haven't been able to get Sims 1 or 3 to run on my computer without random or frequent crashes. My Sims 1 CDs are too scratched to really use them, so I grabbed a version off of an old gaming archive, but that one would constantly crash to the point where I gave up playing it. Sims 3, for whatever reason, just refused to cooperate no matter if it was base game or with expansion and stuff packs. Still have the CDs, but don't have the patience to figure out how to make them work again when I have Sims 2 to keep me busy.
Theorist
#8 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 3:15 PM
I played Sims 1 as a young child. And sometimes I think about installing it to give it a try again. But the fact that Sims don't age tends to bother me, and I also don't own any disks or download version of the game, and I'm pretty sure Origin doesn't even offer it any more, so I wouldn't know how to get it.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Instructor
#9 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 3:17 PM
Although it is a fact that Superstar and Making Magic are great. Also House Party and Vacation.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 3:52 PM
Personally never cared for Superstar, only thing I really like from the EP is the Botox Forever song. But Makin' Magic on the other hand... that is an EP I really wish TS2 had. They tried to shoehorn magic into Apartment Life but It wasn't really the best it could've been. Magic really should be its own EP and if there was ever a 10th EP (M&G counts as EP9 internally) I wish TS2 had it would be a Makin' Magic-esque pack.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 3:53 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 21st Jul 2022 at 6:14 PM.
I played TS1 briefly on an old family computer, but never installed it on my first laptop or any of my newer computers.

I only had one or two EPs for TS1, and not the most interesting ones (I had a set called deluxe-something. Dunno where the box went, but it's probably around somewhere, because pretty sure I haven't thrown it out. Found it while looking around a while back).

I had most fun with how to get babies in the game (no surprise there ). The EPs I had didn't add too much interesting to the whole experience, and I probably didn't know all the things I could do, either. I remember I found it tough keeping sims' motives up (TS1 sims are the worst!), but I was quite inexperienced with playing, so I think I'd probably be better at it now. It's probably 20-ish years ago now...

Would be fun to try it again, though.

After I got TS2, that's become "my game". I played TS3 for a while (in addition to TS2), but it broke after I installed the last EP and after that I've only briefly tried playing when installing it on my new laptop. I play TS4 from time to time - but TS2 is the one I always come back to.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 6:01 PM
I have never played sims 1 but would like to play it. Like sims 2 it's nowhere to be found. I did play the sims bustin' out on the PS2 and it's the closest approximation to sims 1. I liked Mortimer and Bella's lot because the ghosts there would wake everyone up in the middle of the night and they would be too tired for work the next day.
Theorist
#13 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 7:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogrinder
I have never played sims 1 but would like to play it. Like sims 2 it's nowhere to be found. I did play the sims bustin' out on the PS2 and it's the closest approximation to sims 1. I liked Mortimer and Bella's lot because the ghosts there would wake everyone up in the middle of the night and they would be too tired for work the next day.

Personally I'd really like to play the original Urbz game. I never owned any of the Sims titles for consoles. I once played a city building game on a console (can't remember which game or console, I was very young) and what stuck with me was how unwieldy the controls were on the consoles controller when compared to a similar game for the computer where you have a mouse and keyboard, so that soured me against buying a Sims console game (since there's a lot of building and placing of funiture there and all)
But now when I see screenshots of Urbz or see a youtube video about it, I'd kinda like to try it, just for that "early 2000s" aesthetic.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 8:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphalesion
Personally I'd really like to play the original Urbz game. I never owned any of the Sims titles for consoles. I once played a city building game on a console (can't remember which game or console, I was very young) and what stuck with me was how unwieldy the controls were on the consoles controller when compared to a similar game for the computer where you have a mouse and keyboard, so that soured me against buying a Sims console game (since there's a lot of building and placing of funiture there and all)
But now when I see screenshots of Urbz or see a youtube video about it, I'd kinda like to try it, just for that "early 2000s" aesthetic.

jobs in the sims urbz are hard to do, it requires fast and precise button reflexes like Guitar Hero or the Rock Band games, or you'll never get promoted or get further in the game, jobs in the sims urbz are done by you the player controlling your sim at work, if you press the wrong button or are not fast enough you fail and get demoted. It's not like the other sims games but neither is the sims 2 on PS2 either in fact the PS2 version of the Sims 2 is quite complex controlling a sim is more like a traditionall RPG than The sims 1 and Bustin' out, I love bustin' out and the sims 1 on console but urbz is and 2 are my least favorite currently urbz requires reflexes and I suck at rhythm games so

and I never figured out the sims 2, but I need to give the sims 1 2 and 3 and urbz and bustin' out on console another go since I might as well since I have all 5 console sims games so why not I also have the sims 2 pets on PS2 as well, me and my family were HUGE sim fans at one point so we collected almost all sims game on the market. I even used to own The sims 2 pets on the gameboy advance it was awesome

My personal radio station link in first post (commercial free and all music) listen with ANY web Browser now enjoy, this is a gift
Mad Poster
#15 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 9:01 PM
I used to have and play the old TS1 game on our old family computer though I didn't get much more than one starter pack and I've got the Old Town terrain map installed in my TS2 game to get that chance to play Old Town as it's the only way I'm able to play it.I've got Old town's terrain map loaded up and it's about to become an Early American colonial settlement from the late 16th century.I opted for it starting as a colonial settlement so I can just start with basics and slowly grow the town as the residents get on with their lives.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 6:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspersim
neither is the sims 2 on PS2 either in fact the PS2 version of the Sims 2 is quite complex controlling a sim is more like a traditionall RPG than The sims 1 and Bustin' out, I love bustin' out

I love TS2 on PS2 despite its limitations. I really wish the free control, custom ingredients thing, and some of those Simlish songs made it to PC version. Would love to have the Simlish version of Trivium's "Like Light to the Flies", which is one of my all time favourite metal songs... plus imagine being able to plug in your Xbox controller and walk around your lot like in any standard action game how cool would that be?

Instructor
#17 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 6:55 AM
I really liked Urbz at the time, and I played until I became the most popular haha. I also liked the music and the styles. I liked The Sims 2 for ps2 above all for being able to walk with the sims. I haven't played Bustin Out.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 8:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokisims
I really liked Urbz at the time, and I played until I became the most popular haha. I also liked the music and the styles. I liked The Sims 2 for ps2 above all for being able to walk with the sims. I haven't played Bustin Out.

I just fired up my old PS2 and my copy of Bustin' Out shortly before typing this out, I highly recommend buying a copy of the sims 2 Bustin out with it's own separate memory card too if you have a PS2 or GameCube or an original xbox

it, however note 2 player mode and freeplay is something that could technically take days (in real time) to unlock depending on what job career you choose in the beginning of the game, it's like the sims 1 and a half on PC, technically it would seem The Sims Bustin out has lower resolution than the sims 2 on PC yet higher and better graphics than the sims 1 on PC. so Basically Urbz and Bustin out fall between both the sims 1 and the sims 2 series on the PC in the graphics department

Hint if you buy the and Play the original Xbox version of the sims bustin out you can probably save $8-$20 because you won't need a memory card with an original Xbox console, also note original Xbox consoles are cheap but prone to need fixing at this day and age upon buying or obtaining one from anyone

if you are going to buy an Original Xbox I suggest getting it looked at for a leaky copastor issue on the motherboard, because if you don't you Xbox will soon die and be unfixable A PC Laptop techniction might be able to help you get yours looked at after you buy it

Mine was bought with this issue just beginning before I had it looked at and found the issue before losing my console

Instructor
#19 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokisims
I played it a lot when I was a kid and I still couldn't play sims 2. But nowadays I wouldn't be able to. At a minimum I would need aging and family tree.

Agreed. I still get nostalgic for it from time to time, but I couldn't go back to it after playing Sims 2 for so long. I couldn't deal with no aging or family trees (and no days off from work, if I remember right).
Forum Resident
#20 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 6:01 PM
TS1 was an Amazing game! I enjoyed it so thoroughly, with all the EPs! It was so quirky and had this great bit of twisted humor. Maybe because it was my first, it'll always hold a special place in my heart! TS2 is a vastly superior product and a game I love. TS3 never held any appeal. But TS1 was quite exceptional for its time.

I remember when TS2 premiered. I did not get it right away. In fact, it was years! I stuck to playing TS1. I had always thought that, even if i ever did buy TS2, i would never stop playing TS1. It had so much charm to it!! And there's still plenty of aspects of that game that I miss in TS2.

The main issue I had with trying to go back to TS1 was not the aging or the lack of life-states or anything like that... I had a [i]real[/] difficult time going back to not being able to scroll in and out, or swivel the screen! I couldn't get over it! It was just too much to try and play...

I still find myself looking for objects or obscure references, scouring the internet to find a pic of something i remembered and loved! In fact, just this week, I was looking for information on partying... I couldn't remember if it's a function of a party or the DJ booth or the dance floor, but you could select different types, and the accompanying music would play. And the sims would also accessorize accordingly! All i can remember is Techno/Industrial music, and everyone wearing glow bracelets and necklaces. hahah! I know there were other types, but I couldn't remember or find any references to them.

Who could forget Claire the Bear? Talking to the wooden bear sculpture, stealing honey from the crafting station and getting chased by bees, tip-toeing down the sidewalk to rummage through your trash, and sobbing if you had a bearskin rug! haha There was also Archie the Archer, Betty the Yeti and Marky Sharky, the Vacation Island mascots. There was that creepy stalker Obsessed Fan, leaving the dead flowers on your doorstep in Superstar! Hot Date included the little dude who would serenade you as you dined with your partner and you could play footsie under the table! I miss the footsie interaction. it was hilarious! Remember WC Friendly? The Old Town Jazz musician, who used to love to stand outside the bathroom stall door while your sims relieved themselves, and trap them inside til their motives went down the toilet? hahaha Rental Shack Jack (and Zach) and their rentable picnic baskets, RC boats and fish food. The picnic baskets and beach blankets offered your sims the chance to oil each other up with tanning lotion (on the beach blanket) and have themselves a nice picnic. I very much miss the cafeteria food kiosk and wish TS2 had something similar to enrich our neighborhoods!

What a fun game! Sometimes I think of reinstalling it, just so i can archive all the data on the Sims Wiki, of each object and all the game features. So much stuff has been lost to time. I don't think i could ever play without all my mods and cc!

Good thread! nice trip down Memory Lane!!

-grinEvilly
>=)
Field Researcher
#21 Old 23rd Jul 2022 at 9:21 AM
I haven't played Sims 1 in a long time, because I can't find my Superstar discs. I like The Sims 2 better anyway.
Alchemist
#22 Old 23rd Jul 2022 at 3:48 PM
I uninstalled Sims 1 the day I got Sims 2, and I didn't look back until about five years ago, when I wanted to make some magic mods and decided to see if there was inspiration to be found in Makin Magic. Like grinevilly, I struggled with the fixed camera, and I couldn't overcome that hurdle. It's too bad, because while Sims 2 is an upgrade, that surreal vibe of Sims 1 is unmatched.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#23 Old 24th Jul 2022 at 1:53 PM
I really thought that the hurdy Gurdy man and the Jazz Musician was unnecessary, in the sims 1 unleashed, first off if you didn't have double doors on every doorway in the old town they would play non stop and lock your sims on the lot, until beyond all of their mood would just decay while they kept on playing their instruments blocking your sims path to go home. there were times I could not exit the lot because my sims were stuck behind one of them and I needed to exit to neighborhood or game in order to play the darn game. I hated that part, a hint is to have your sims listen to their music and sometimes, just sometimes the hurdy gurdy man would move out of the way but the Jazz musician never would move he just would shake his head and then block the doorway again playing his instrument all over and over again.

It seemed that the Jazz Musician had stupid AI and the Hurdy Gurdy man had dumb AI when it came to find a path. It would have not have been as bad if both musicians just stayed in one spot and didn't move around the lot from the beginning it seemed that maxis intended these NPC's to be annoying because they will purposely block your sims exit path by moving and stopping in the doorway or staircase of any room with one of your sims in it.

It still makes me angry just thinking about how many times I've gotten and trapped on the lot while all sims must aboard the bus in order to leave the lot in the sims 1 old town and if one sim or pet is being blocked by them, all sims will be stuck forever on the lot until you exit to neighborhood without saving or game.

The Sim 1 Unleashed was a massive expansion pack with a lot to offer it made the neighborhood bigger and paved the way for the sims 2 and the sims 3 I believe, Thankfully the only annoying NPC in the sims 2 I found is only a minor annoyance Miss Crumplebottom because if you have a bar downtown she will always steal your drinks and if your sim is hungry it can get pretty annoying trying to get a drink from certain lots with no bar counter,

Miss Crumplebottom is not even a real sim so why should she need to keep drinking anyway, I mean I don't care about her non existent hunger bar just my own sim thank you

Mad Poster
#24 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 5:31 PM
'Twas then when the Hurdy Gurdy Man, came singing songs of love...

Anyway, there's one thing I've been thinking about since the TS1 Makin' Magic EP was mentioned earlier in this thread. What if the reason why we never got a Magic EP was because Makin' Magic was merely a product of its time? If I recall things such as Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter were both really popular in the early 2000s, so what if Makin' Magic was merely designed to both promote and capitalize on the popularity of magic at the time? It would explain why TS2 never got a full magic EP. Even TS3's Supernatural expansion isn't quite the same as Makin' Magic despite adding magic to the TS3 game.

Theorist
#25 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspersim
Thankfully the only annoying NPC in the sims 2 I found is only a minor annoyance Miss Crumplebottom be

What about Mr.Humble and the Hobby NPCs that will endlessly barge into your house each time someone gains a point in a hobby?

Page 1 of 2