Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Nov 2016 at 3:33 AM
Default How do you extract the 3D file for a sim with a custom made/sculpted face?
Not sure if the title of this thread made much sense, but this is what I mean by that: Say, I created a sim in sims 2 bodyshop, and I used the facial feture sliders to size up the nose, eyes, etc. and gave the sim a unique face (not like the default ones). How would I export that as a 3D model that i could import into milkshape?

Is there a way I could save the sim in bodyshop, then open it in SimPE then extract it's faces as a sims 2 mesh? how would I do that?

Please help <3
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Nov 2016 at 11:28 AM Last edited by Nysha : 16th Nov 2016 at 11:50 AM.
It's actually pretty easy!

Edit: I just reread your post and realised that this is a sim made in Bodyshop, not in CAS. Given that, you can skip steps 1-5, just open the sim's file in SavedSims and then start from step 6. I'll leave steps 1-5 here though, in case anyone wants to know how to do this for a CAS made/born in game sim.

1. backup your neighbourhood.
  2. Open SimPE's Object Workshop and click Start. Wait for it to finish loading the object list. (This prevents some memory issues which can make using the Neighbourhood Browser a gigantic pain in the arse)
  3. Go Tools -> Neighbourhood -> Neighbourhood Browser, select your 'hood and click Open.
  4. Go Tools -> Neighbourhood -> Sim Browser, select your sim and click Open.
  5. In the bottom panel of SimPE with the sim details in it, there's a toolbar. Click "More" and then "Open character file"
  6. Select "Geometric Data Container (GMDC)" from the Resource Tree panel
  7. You'll now see a whole bunch of GMDC meshes, corresponding to the different age stages for your sim, and the different LODs (levels of detail). Ignore everything that says LOD15 in the name, and select the mesh for the age you want: for toddler, pick age0; child is age1; teen is age2; age3 and age7 are both adult (I suspect 7 is YA); age4 is elder.
  8. Click the Preview button at the bottom of the Plugin View to check that the face mesh looks how you expect it to.
  9. Export the mesh - you can either click the "Export" button above the Preview button to export it as an OBJ, or you can right-click the mesh in the Resource List and click "Extract" to export it as a GMDC.

You don't need to extract the sim via Bodyshop to do any of this, but in case you ever want to in future, you can: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_gui...of_in-game_Sims

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Nov 2016 at 11:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha

Edit: I just reread your post and realised that this is a sim made in Bodyshop, not in CAS. Given that, you can skip steps 1-5, just open the sim's file in SavedSims and then start from step 6. I'll leave steps 1-5 here though, in case anyone wants to know how to do this for a CAS made/born in game sim.

2. Open SimPE's Object Workshop and click Start. Wait for it to finish loading the object list. (This prevents some memory issues which can make using the Neighbourhood Browser a gigantic pain in the arse)
  3. Go Tools -> Neighbourhood -> Neighbourhood Browser, select your 'hood and click Open.
  5. In the bottom panel of SimPE with the sim details in it, there's a toolbar. Click "More" and then "Open character file"
  7. You'll now see a whole bunch of GMDC meshes, corresponding to the different age stages for your sim, and the different LODs (levels of detail). Ignore everything that says LOD15 in the name, and select the mesh for the age you want: for toddler, pick age0; child is age1; teen is age2; age3 and age7 are both adult (I suspect 7 is YA); age4 is elder.
  8. Click the Preview button at the bottom of the Plugin View to check that the face mesh looks how you expect it to.
  9. Export the mesh - you can either click the "Export" button above the Preview button to export it as an OBJ, or you can right-click the mesh in the Resource List and click "Extract" to export it as a GMDC.

You don't need to extract the sim via Bodyshop to do any of this, but in case you ever want to in future, you can: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_gui...of_in-game_Sims

ok thank you! <3
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Jun 2022 at 4:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha

one more question, how do we extract the hair styles if they're default hairstyles that are in the game?
and also the textures?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 29th Jun 2022 at 4:04 PM
^ You figure out which hairstyle they're using (find, then recolor in Bodyshop to get the name), find the base mesh and recolor names from the PropertySet, and use the Finder to look up all the hair colors and mesh.

It's basically how you'd start out extracting the mesh and texture when making a new hair or editing an EAxis one, so you can look up the unimesh hair and clothing tutorials if you need more details. There's pictures too if you need them.

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=158048
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=142305
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Jun 2022 at 3:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
^ You figure out which hairstyle they're using (find, then recolor in Bodyshop to get the name), find the base mesh and recolor names from the PropertySet, and use the Finder to look up all the hair colors and mesh.

It's basically how you'd start out extracting the mesh and texture when making a new hair or editing an EAxis one, so you can look up the unimesh hair and clothing tutorials if you need more details. There's pictures too if you need them.

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=158048
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=142305

ah i see. i figured that was the way it was done, i was just wondering if there was a simpiler way of doing that. i remember for the sims 4 they have a program called "sim extractor" or something like that, where you just click the name of your sim to export their 3d model. im surprised no one made a program like that for the sims 2 really.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 30th Jun 2022 at 3:27 AM
Not that I know, and it's really not needed. The only thing that's unique about a TS2 sim is the face sculpt. Everything else can be extracted from ingame or the CC.

For TS4 sims they have unique body/face sculpts, and it wouldn't be easy to copy that over to some other program.