Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#9751 Old 5th Sep 2022 at 8:06 AM
I appreciate the help from both of you, but at this time, I really don't have time to try that. But maybe some day I will.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#9752 Old 5th Sep 2022 at 6:13 PM
im trying to make a university hood with lecture halls and I found out that Biology major is most compatible with 5 careers
and for some reason...criminal career is most compatible with literature??? what???
Mad Poster
#9753 Old 5th Sep 2022 at 6:50 PM
I think somebody in management was insisting on all the careers being associated with University degrees, that the available degrees were already set in stone, and that the person in charge of this bit saw a deadline looming, said "screw it," and started shoving careers in where ever there was too big a disparity in how many careers a degree was good for.

It's possible there's a very subtle personal joke there, if the person doing this bit of the work was a literature major themselves or was a big enough literature and/or social history buff to be acutely aware of the periodic moral panics societies go through, blaming particular kinds of books, or even books in general, for "undermining the moral fabric of the nation," "corrupting youth," and "encouraging the crime wave." Which are always, btw, complete BS, but this is hardly the place for that rant.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#9754 Old 5th Sep 2022 at 7:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
It's possible there's a very subtle personal joke there, if the person doing this bit of the work was a literature major themselves or was a big enough literature and/or social history buff to be acutely aware of the periodic moral panics societies go through, blaming particular kinds of books, or even books in general, for "undermining the moral fabric of the nation," "corrupting youth," and "encouraging the crime wave." Which are always, btw, complete BS, but this is hardly the place for that rant.

that actually makes sense xD thank you! that gave me a bit of closure
it may sound BS but... our own country, currently ruled by criminals, are going after our history, literature & cinema ah life.
Scholar
#9755 Old 9th Sep 2022 at 2:08 PM
I don't know if this kind of thing has been previously discussed on the forums, but I thought I would share my discoveries concerning baby adoption and genetics in case it's of interest to someone.

I have a megahood that consists of clean versions of Plesantview, Strangetown and Veronaville (as subhoods), and Downtown with no Downtownies. I created all the Downtownies myself from premade university students. As far as I can tell, the three neighborhoods came with these townies only: Bella Goth, Jihoon Kearney (formerly Abhijeet Cho but renamed when Strangetown was made a subhood), Sharon Butler (formerly Crystal Vu), and Meredith Lillard (Circe's bartender friend who I have never seen and don't know her changed name). There are also Gordon King and Kaylynn Langerak, but I don't know if the game sees them as townies or NPCs. The game generated one male garden club member, who I also don't know whether the game considers as a townie or an NPC.

I know from Marticore's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VHYUmHV0wo) that when the game creates a baby to adopt, it is a mix of the genetics of two randomly chosen townies. So in order for there to be babies to adopt (if no babies were placed for adoption or taken by the social worker, which in my hood, they haven't), there has to be at least two townies, one male and one female. Early on, Pascal and Nervous adopted a baby with no problems. Their son has red hair.

Since that time, Jihoon and Bella were both moved in and then died. Kaylynn also died without being moved in. At this point, Bobby and Phineaus Broke try to adopt a baby, but no baby can be generated. Checking the mod I use to make townies, I see I have 2 townies total, and I have 36 downtownies.

From this, I'm drawing the following conclusions:
- Gordon King does not count as a townie because his genetics couldn't be used to make Bobby's baby. Neither does the male garden club member. Therefore, the "father" of Nervous and Pascal's baby must have been Jihoon.
- Because Pascal and Nervous's baby had red hair, the mother most likely was Meredith Lillard, who also has red hair. Therefore, despite having a role as bartender, she does count as a townie even though Gordon, a burglar, does not.
- The two townies I have remaining must therefore be Sharon Butler and Meredith Lillard, so new babies cannot be made, since they are both female.
- Downtownies are not part of the pool of "townies" who can randomly be chosen to create an adoptable baby.

I used the mod to create six townies, three male and three female. Bobby and Phineaus were then able to adopt with no problems. So in order to generate a baby to adopt, a clean neighborhood must have at least one male and one female who are straight townies and don't fill any other role. I presume (but did not want to test) that if you only have one of each, then they would be susceptible to first born syndrome as well.
Top Secret Researcher
#9756 Old 10th Sep 2022 at 1:50 PM
Lately, whenever someone comes into the bathroom while another sim showers, the showering sim yells, exits the shower and yells at the intruding sim. Never seen that before! It's more realistic but why haven't I seen it until recently?

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Scholar
#9757 Old 10th Sep 2022 at 2:01 PM Last edited by sturlington : 10th Sep 2022 at 5:07 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Pideli
Lately, whenever someone comes into the bathroom while another sim showers, the showering sim yells, exits the shower and yells at the intruding sim. Never seen that before! It's more realistic but why haven't I seen it until recently?

Is the person coming into the bathroom flushing the toilet? I've seen this when they flush the toilet. Presumably, the one in the shower gets a dousing of cold water, which is why they yell.
Forum Resident
#9758 Old 10th Sep 2022 at 3:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
Is the person coming into the bathroom flushing the toilet? I've seen this when they flush the toilet. Presumably, the one in the shower gets a dousing of cold water, which is why they yell.

Apparently it hasn't happened to you IRL. The person in the shower gets a dousing of HOT water as flushing the toilet uses cold water and thus temporarily reduces the cold water in the shower.

Yes in the Sims, flushing the toilet in the same bathroom as a Sim taking a shower will sometimes cause that Sim to shriek, jump out of the shower and lecture the Sim guilty of flushing the toilet.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Forum Resident
#9759 Old 10th Sep 2022 at 3:31 PM
never in my life have i encountered that in sims or IRL but thats a good detail
if it wasnt toilet flushing, perhaps it's a privacy thing? i mean, who wouldnt shriek if someone walks in on you in the shower
i always use the (forgot the exact name of build mode fence from pets ep) low floor divider for shared bathrooms cos any enclosed/fenced in space is considered a room and sims dont mind sharing bathrooms cos of it. they can easily walk all over it but privacy wont be an issue.
Forum Resident
#9760 Old 10th Sep 2022 at 3:49 PM
I encountered the toilet flushing shower effect IRL. I was on the receiving end. Startling to say the least.
Top Secret Researcher
#9761 Old 10th Sep 2022 at 4:52 PM
In my house it just lowers the water pressure rather than changing the temperature. Wonder what it would be like if sims could only use so many water sources at once.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Scholar
#9762 Old 10th Sep 2022 at 5:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
Apparently it hasn't happened to you IRL. The person in the shower gets a dousing of HOT water as flushing the toilet uses cold water and thus temporarily reduces the cold water in the shower.

Yes in the Sims, flushing the toilet in the same bathroom as a Sim taking a shower will sometimes cause that Sim to shriek, jump out of the shower and lecture the Sim guilty of flushing the toilet.

Yes, you're right--I mistyped. It has happened to me IRL but not in a very long time.
Mad Poster
#9763 Old 10th Sep 2022 at 5:24 PM
I believe that only happens in Sims with the cheap shower and toilet. Expensive ones have their own water supply or something.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#9764 Old 10th Sep 2022 at 8:07 PM
No my sims used the expensive toilets and showers. I think I know why I haven't seen it before, it wasn't that long ago I downloaded "no privacy" mod, so before that there were no sharing bathrooms. And my sims tend to bathe instead of shower since that raises the comfort motive too but lately I realized they don't always need to raise their comfort motive so I've started to use showers more. So it's not until recently I've had the factors in place to see that effect.

Top Secret Researcher
#9765 Old 11th Sep 2022 at 8:37 PM
Trying to place a driveway (extension) permanently changes the terrain under it even if you don't actually place it. Only way to get it back exactly the way it was is to reload the lot without saving.

Mad Poster
#9766 Old 11th Sep 2022 at 11:08 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 12th Sep 2022 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Missing Question Mark!!
Quote: Originally posted by Pideli
Trying to place a driveway (extension) permanently changes the terrain under it even if you don't actually place it.
I presume it flattens it a bit? Might it be a way to at least partially flatten a lot?
--------------------------------------------------
As regards Sims getting scalded when someone flushes the toilet, my recollection is that you're right -- they get scalded even in the expensive shower. For some reason I've had the No Bathroom Privacy mods in my game almost from the start. (Don't ask!!) I'm trying to get some of my Sims to confirm this, but so far they haven't been very co-operative. I'll let you if and when they're a bit more helpful.
--------------------------------------------------
I've discovered that large groups of Sims will hang out together. Well,up to at least five Sims anyway.

I used to think only two Sims could hang out at a time. In fact I have a feeling that my Sims didn't used to be able to hang out at all. Did the interaction come with University?
Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#9767 Old 11th Sep 2022 at 11:34 PM
Sims can hang out in groups up to 8.
Mad Poster
#9768 Old 12th Sep 2022 at 12:47 AM
Yes, it's a university action, and very useful it is, too!

Mad Poster
#9769 Old 12th Sep 2022 at 9:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kanzen
im trying to make a university hood with lecture halls and I found out that Biology major is most compatible with 5 careers
and for some reason...criminal career is most compatible with literature??? what???

Criminals needs to read novels and watch films about former criminals in order to become masterminds. Completely logical to me
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9770 Old 12th Sep 2022 at 11:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I've discovered that large groups of Sims will hang out together. Well,up to at least five Sims anyway.

I like to watch them trying to hang out together in a room that has a lot of furniture- the sims will walk around for a while, trying to find a space to sit, and then plonk themselves down either side of a sofa, or table, or some other improbable obstacle! That there is a huge piece of furniture between them seems to make no difference!
Instructor
#9771 Old 12th Sep 2022 at 9:34 PM
Yeah, they just go on talking undeterred no matter what's between them - furniture, a door, a group of other sims... . Mr AnMal and I just watched the old Gormenghast series and saw two characters fencing from each side of a third character, and I said "They are sims!"
Mad Poster
#9772 Old 12th Sep 2022 at 10:35 PM
Last month Gilbert Jacquet and Albany Capp were talking to each other under the table, while other Sims were eating and chatting round it:
If you look carefully, you can see Albany's head, complete with his trade-mark "bonnet", at the far right-hand corner of the table.

One advantage of hanging out is that, unlike "chat", they go on talking even after one Sim says something that the other Sim disagrees with, rather than sticking their fingers in their ears and going off in a huff!

Of all the things that came with University, hanging out is my second favourite. My absolute favourite is pillow fights. My Sims love them, and I love watching them!! They very often follow up the fight with a kiss -- or more!! Pillow fights are much more fun than lectures, term papers, exams, or even degrees!
Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#9773 Old 13th Sep 2022 at 2:47 AM
Writers are notorious for using google to look up details about how to commit crimes so they can write about them, and I think in one case there was actually a murder mystery writer who turned out to have committed a murder that they actually wrote about in a book. Writing gives you practice at figuring out how to commit crimes, and also a cover story for when someone finds "how to rob bank" in your search history.
Lab Assistant
#9774 Old 13th Sep 2022 at 7:43 AM
That you can't give a Bigfoot a backrub. I guess it's too romantic...?
Forum Resident
#9775 Old 13th Sep 2022 at 9:42 AM
theres a graphic effect of rain cascading down the roof
i saw this for the first time yesterday while testing a build. it was nighttime ingame, and the roof was a dark color so i saw the rainwater clearly. it was a pretty little detail <3
Page 391 of 442