Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jul 2021 at 9:12 PM Last edited by LexDoesSims : 30th Jul 2021 at 11:26 AM.
Default The Simdew Valley Challenge for Cottage Living!

INTRODUCTION
Do you love Stardew Valley and the Sims? You probably noticed the potential for Stardew-type gameplay in the new Cottage Living pack, then!
Well, so did I. So here we both are. Let’s get into it, shall we?

REQUIRED PACKS
Cottage Living (obviously), Outdoor Retreat, Seasons, Jungle Adventure, Island Living, Cats & Dogs, Eco Lifestyle, Get Together, Get to Work, City Living
UI Cheats Extension and MC Command Center highly recommended!

FULL RULES, BUNDLES AND EXPANSION ON THIS GOOGLE DOC: HERE

These rules will very likely be updated and added upon. Thank you for reading!

Edit: Added a Changelog section to the document, to keep track of what I add/change
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 29th Jul 2021 at 8:15 PM
I really needed something like this, thank you for the effort bc it's so well done!!! I was looking for an updated challenge to play with the Cottage Living and yours is amazing!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 12:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cvrsedgold
I really needed something like this, thank you for the effort bc it's so well done!!! I was looking for an updated challenge to play with the Cottage Living and yours is amazing!!

I'm glad you like it! I got some ppl play testing it for balance, but if you notice anything suboptimal, please let me know! ❤️
Test Subject
#4 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 10:51 PM Last edited by cvrsedgold : 31st Jul 2021 at 1:12 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by LexDoesSims
I'm glad you like it! I got some ppl play testing it for balance, but if you notice anything suboptimal, please let me know! ❤️

Okey dokey! When I set things up, I'll try to post some screenshots here!!

I'm legit thinking about making a save file with the premade restrictions, would anyone find it useful?

Also, in the case that I have children, how should I start aging them? It's written that I'll age them one per season, but like, if I age a child in the Winter, should I age them again next winter? How often should I age my sim?
Test Subject
#5 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 6:09 PM
So, I've started and woo boy are there some hurdles to get things to plant at the beginning; particularly things in season... did I snag errand mushrooms to plant? Yes, yes I did. Should have snagged one of the three roses from errands too but alas, that slipped my mind. I am finding that foraging in the Bramblewood to be nearly impossible (i've spent 3 12+ hour days there and the chocoberries are still not harvestable. they are fully grown but not harvestable), I've also run into the community garden area in New Old Henford to not be harvestable?

On Friday & Sundays, what can you buy from the grocery an garden stalls - obviously no seeds or produce items... Mostly wondering about the animal products as that would help with some of the bundles.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cvrsedgold
Okey dokey! When I set things up, I'll try to post some screenshots here!!

I'm legit thinking about making a save file with the premade restrictions, would anyone find it useful?

Also, in the case that I have children, how should I start aging them? It's written that I'll age them one per season, but like, if I age a child in the Winter, should I age them again next winter? How often should I age my sim?

The challenge isn't really meant to have your sim age at all, but you can age them as you prefer. The once per season means you can age them once in spring, then in summer and so on. Keep on mind that your seasons are supposed to be long!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 4:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sherodactyl
So, I've started and woo boy are there some hurdles to get things to plant at the beginning; particularly things in season... did I snag errand mushrooms to plant? Yes, yes I did. Should have snagged one of the three roses from errands too but alas, that slipped my mind. I am finding that foraging in the Bramblewood to be nearly impossible (i've spent 3 12+ hour days there and the chocoberries are still not harvestable. they are fully grown but not harvestable), I've also run into the community garden area in New Old Henford to not be harvestable?

On Friday & Sundays, what can you buy from the grocery an garden stalls - obviously no seeds or produce items... Mostly wondering about the animal products as that would help with some of the bundles.

Oh, you can buy whatever You want on Fridays on Sundays. The stock rotates, so if you have the money and they got something you need, get it!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 2nd Aug 2021 at 10:07 PM
This looks fun. I do enjoy Stardew Valley and Portia. I'll give this one a try.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 10:10 PM

Stuff doesn't grow if your sim isn't in that neighborhood at 5:30? or whatever time in the morning stuff actually grows so we'll need to get lucky on what the stalls have for sale on Fridays and Sundays.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 12:40 AM
Ok I reread the rules and I guess we can't buy the plants from the stalls even on Fridays and Sundays? So the next idea is that we have to be at home asleep by 2 AM but there is no rule that we can't wake our sim up at 3 AM and go to Bramblewood or whatever it is called to harvest stuff. Sounds cheaty, but I don't know how else to get any harvestables other than rocks and frogs.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aelirenn
Ok I reread the rules and I guess we can't buy the plants from the stalls even on Fridays and Sundays? So the next idea is that we have to be at home asleep by 2 AM but there is no rule that we can't wake our sim up at 3 AM and go to Bramblewood or whatever it is called to harvest stuff. Sounds cheaty, but I don't know how else to get any harvestables other than rocks and frogs.

You can buy thing from the stalls on Fridays and Sundays. Did I phrase it weirdly in the doc?
The idea is that these stalls are the equivalent of the traveling merchants from Stardew, who has rotating stock, on Fridays and Sundays.

Also, and this isn't a requirement ofc, but i actually play this myself too, and my sim just straight up lives in bramblewood. Might make it easier with spawn times!
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 8:47 PM
Oh, for some reason I thought we had to live in the middle one. lol I'm having fun with it anyway.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 12:43 AM
Oh, for some reason I thought we had to live in the middle one. lol I'm having fun with it anyway.

No you're right, i do specify the lot in the setup, but I'll change that to a suggestion instead.
Test Subject
#14 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 2:52 AM
Stuff doesn't grow if your sim isn't in that neighborhood at 5:30? or whatever time in the morning stuff actually grows so we'll need to get lucky on what the stalls have for sale on Fridays and Sundays.

I think I had to update my MCCC because once I did that, I started a new game / other challenge and it works fine in that one, so I plan on trying this again.
Test Subject
#15 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 2:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LexDoesSims
You can buy thing from the stalls on Fridays and Sundays. Did I phrase it weirdly in the doc?

Yeah, I thought that too originally. It's the part of the rules that says "You may not buy any seeds/produce, either from stalls, delivery or seed packs, you must forage or graft everything! Exceptions may apply!" That makes it seem like you can't buy from them any time other than the exception times.
"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 11:04 AM
Yeah, I thought that too originally. It's the part of the rules that says "You may not buy any seeds/produce, either from stalls, delivery or seed packs, you must forage or graft everything! Exceptions may apply!" That makes it seem like you can't buy from them any time other than the exception times.
"

Yeah, fridays and sundays are the exceptions

edit: checked my doc, it says in the rules a few bullet points before that: "You may not use the Finchwick stores outside of Fridays and Sundays, they are our stand-in for the Traveling Merchant! You may sell to them whenever, though."

I also changed the lot requirement in the setup bit. may rework a few more things, keep an eye on the changelog
Test Subject
#17 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 10:31 PM
I will definitely try this out.
Test Subject
#18 Old 1st Jul 2023 at 10:51 AM
This sounds like a really fun challenge! Will bookmark this and try sometime! Thanks for sharing this with us!