Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 2:47 PM
Default The Sims 4's Star Wars pack is...
Wasted potential.

As a fan of both Star Wars and Sims, I can say EA's idea of merging both franchises into one sounded like an excellent idea, if they didn't execute it poorly like they did.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 4:22 PM Last edited by parrot999 : 23rd Jul 2021 at 4:49 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by MakinUnleashed
Wasted potential.

As a fan of both Star Wars and Sims, I can say EA's idea of merging both franchises into one sounded like an excellent idea, if they didn't execute it poorly like they did.

What potential though? If there are two things I can think of that are like peanutbutter and mayonaise, it'd be The Sims and Star Wars...

Star Trek? Sure! Most Star Trek focuses on morality conflicts. Could give those personality traits and chance card system some use. Not to mention all the future convenience items. Some of which we've already seen translated to Sims games like replicators... Doctor Who? Maybe! Not as straight a fit, but Timelords would be an awesome occult state! I actually hadd a mod that added them to 2 a long time ago, and it was so cool! As well as also having a lot of technologies that could potentially suit a life sim. I'm sure the interior decorating crowd would enjoy extra large lots that exist in a sort of null space thanks to dimentional transcendental areas and vehicles.... Also there is a history of some passions since both series had been referenced in 3, 2, and a bunch of spinoff media in one way or another...

But Star Wars? Star Wars is all combat and political intrigue! It's not really about social relations and life stuff. It's a gritty worn universe with technologies and a magic system that are more about combat than anything applicable to a life sim, so I literally see no way it could ever work! What ideas in Star Wars translate to life sim in your eyes? What new content could it add?
Scholar
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 5:02 PM
Unpolished and Unfinished, and no where to go but the Catatina Bar or outdoors, had they spend more time on it, and possibily made it into a giant EP it might of been ok, but after Home Decorator, I think I recommend this one more.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 5:36 PM
I would have actually loved a real Star Wars themed pack that actually tried to be Star Wars and not just an advertisement for a Disney World attraction. I liked TS3's future Expansion, so redoing that with a Star Wars twist could have been really fun. But, as they tend to do, EA took what sounded like a cool concept and turned it into one of the worst, most pointless packs this game has ever produced.

For fucks sake, who thought it was a good idea to make a Star Wars pack where your sims can't even be Jedi? There's not even a force skill.

The Receptacle still lives!
Forum Resident
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 5:53 PM Last edited by parrot999 : 23rd Jul 2021 at 6:09 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
I would have actually loved a real Star Wars themed pack that actually tried to be Star Wars and not just an advertisement for a Disney World attraction. I liked TS3's future Expansion, so redoing that with a Star Wars twist could have been really fun. But, as they tend to do, EA took what sounded like a cool concept and turned it into one of the worst, most pointless packs this game has ever produced.

For fucks sake, who thought it was a good idea to make a Star Wars pack where your sims can't even be Jedi? There's not even a force skill.

If it actually tried to be Star Wars it wouldn't be a Sims game... I still don't get it. I'll reiterate my question... What could it add to a Sims game that isn't already there? What would Jedi do? What would Sith do? Paint me a picture of the gameplay, cuz I really don't get the drive for this bizarre combination beyond being fans of both. I'm being genuine here! What do you even think a pack like that could be?? You say the Into the Future pack, but nothing in that pack was anything like Star Wars... It was basically The Sims meets Star Trek meets Back to the Future meets The Jetsons... The closest you get is Star Wars and Into the Future have robots... That's about it really...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
If it actually tried to be Star Wars it wouldn't be a Sims game... I still don't get it. I'll reiterate my question... What could it add to a Sims game that isn't already there? What would Jedi do? What would Sith do? Paint me a picture of the gameplay, cuz I really don't get the drive for this bizarre combination beyond being fans of both. I'm being genuine here! What do you even think a pack like that could be?? You say the Into the Future pack, but nothing in that pack was anything like Star Wars... It was basically The Sims meets Star Trek meets Back to the Future meets The Jetsons... The closest you get is Star Wars and Into the Future have robots... That's about it really...

Simple. It would have been more of a spin-off, like Medieval.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 7:20 PM

That is fair. If you are using The Sims Medieval as a template, then yeah. It could concievably work. Not sure they could possibly avoid it being a missed opportunity, just due to incompentance, but having a 4 equivilent of how Castaway Stories was to 2, and Medieval was to 3, kinda makes sense. And Star Wars might potentially work in that context... Still not fully convinced, but that does give it some potential at least.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 7:41 PM

And that's how EA/Maxis continue to make their mistakes. They look at the money before they do the game. Indeed someone should have thought "this would be great if it was more like Medieval". But no. They thought "This is going to make a lot of money from all those Star Wars fans out there as well as regular Sims 4 lovers."

Such a shame.

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dikosay
And that's how EA/Maxis continue to make their mistakes. They look at the money before they do the game. Indeed someone should have thought "this would be great if it was more like Medieval". But no. They thought "This is going to make a lot of money from all those Star Wars fans out there as well as regular Sims 4 lovers."

Such a shame.

Sims 4 Star Wars is more for a spin-off series like Medieval over it strays away from the core games but still acts like a Sims-like game where one can have freedom, or missions/quest, and cause a scene to their heart's content over the possibilities are endless. Be a Jedi? Yes, you can! Be a Sith? Yes, you can! Be a politician? *cue me shoving Palpatine off of the roof* YES!

Sims 4 Star Wars is not worth being a pack. Especially when said Star Wars is the sequel trilogy and basically a theme park that TS4 is squeezing in that its not a theme park when it is a theme park. The R2 units don't work when you off of Batuu.
Smeg Head
#10 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 5:16 PM
I went to Batuu... I never came back! Help me Obi Wan! For the love of the Force, somebody please rescue me!!!

But seriously, a standalone Sims Star Wars game, a la Medieval, great stuff, great business move, Star Wars fans who don't give a flying fig about the Sims would still be deep into it, and conversely, Sims fans who think it a terrible idea for a TS4 pack- myself included - could also have had a better time enjoying it as a standalone. Better time spending money on it - isn't that the end goal?

But they did what they did, and, akkk, Silly. So, so silly. But then again, the contract with Disney may have had EA in a bind, having to do a direct TS4 connect, rather than a standalone. Then of course Covid would have been in the mix for how far anything can go into production. Factors being factors, but still a terrible business move compared to what might have been. All things being equal and Okham's razor blah-de-blah I don't own Batuu, probably never will, but if it were a standalone Sims thing, even at twice the price of a Gamepack, I probably would have bought it. Probably...

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
I went to Batuu... I never came back! Help me Obi Wan! For the love of the Force, somebody please rescue me!!!

But seriously, a standalone Sims Star Wars game, a la Medieval, great stuff, great business move, Star Wars fans who don't give a flying fig about the Sims would still be deep into it, and conversely, Sims fans who think it a terrible idea for a TS4 pack- myself included - could also have had a better time enjoying it as a standalone. Better time spending money on it - isn't that the end goal?

But they did what they did, and, akkk, Silly. So, so silly. But then again, the contract with Disney may have had EA in a bind, having to do a direct TS4 connect, rather than a standalone. Then of course Covid would have been in the mix for how far anything can go into production. Factors being factors, but still a terrible business move compared to what might have been. All things being equal and Okham's razor blah-de-blah I don't own Batuu, probably never will, but if it were a standalone Sims thing, even at twice the price of a Gamepack, I probably would have bought it. Probably...

In the end, EA wasted a great crossover idea where they could have gone for a standalone thing with packs that introduce more of the Star Wars continuity, but no sequel trilogy please, to the Sims SW universe and give us a lot of exciting things to do like becoming a Jedi or joining the Seperatists or Empire.
Instructor
#12 Old 24th Jul 2021 at 10:35 PM
I enjoyed going there but wanted more interaction between Batuu and other worlds. It really felt like going to an amusement park, separate from Sims' real lives.

Aliens are wasted anyway in Sims 4.