Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Postcards Galore! *UPD 05 Nov 2008*

by MaryLou & Numenor Posted 20th Nov 2007 at 12:55 AM - Updated 4th May 2014 at 2:37 PM by leefish : fix broken images

198 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 189 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 6 of 8
Field Researcher
#126 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MaryLou & Numenor
It's not possible to "add" new postcards to a rack by cloning the existing postcards; each rack has its own set of postcards, that can't be modified, or the rack may have problems. For the same reason, the single postcards are not recolourable at all.

You say it's "impossible " to add new postcards to a rack, but I've added three more to my Beach Rack and it still works fine. My sims are able to buy and display the new cards with no problems. What kind of problems should I be having? Of course I've no intentions of offering them to the public, they're for my personal use only.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#127 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 11:29 PM Last edited by MaryLou & Numenor : 29th Nov 2007 at 12:50 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by crocobaura
I just redownloaded and noticed that the new packs don't contain the diagonal mesh for the postcards showcase. Do we still need it?

We have not update the diagonal mesh, you can use the earlier version as well.
Thank you very mucth to have report this issue, we have fixed the rar now and it includes both the files.

------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: Originally posted by raynuss
You say it's "impossible " to add new postcards to a rack, but I've added three more to my Beach Rack and it still works fine. My sims are able to buy and display the new cards with no problems. What kind of problems should I be having? Of course I've no intentions of offering them to the public, they're for my personal use only.

We said that it's not possible to expand the number of postcards by simply cloning the existing ones: you have to modify the rack in order to force it to accept new cards. Of course, modifying the rack, it is possible to include new postcards: otherwise, how could we create a Greetings rack with 10 cards and the touristic ones with 6? BTW, the code inside the rack is very detailed and somewhat self-explanatory, contains several labels and notes that usually Maxis strips out; therefore, an average-experienced users (like you, probably) could modify it to make it use a different number of cards.
Thanks for declaring that you are doing this for personal use: one one hand, we don't want anyone to post modified versions of our objects, but on the other hand we are pleased if anyone likes to peek into the code and possibly learn something new!

If you need to contact us, PM directly to "Numenor" or "MaryLou".

Please visit our sites: www.marylousims2.it and www.numenor-moddings.com
Field Researcher
#128 Old 29th Nov 2007 at 1:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MaryLou & Numenor
We said that it's not possible to expand the number of postcards by simply cloning the existing ones: you have to modify the rack in order to force it to accept new cards. Of course, modifying the rack, it is possible to include new postcards

That's exactly what I did. I modified the Beach Rack to accept 9 cards instead of the default 6 and then added three more cloned, recolored postcards to the rack. Your code inside the rack is very detailed as you said and I didn't find it difficult at all to understand how to increase the number of cards the rack would accept.

Thanks for a great creation and thanks also for the fix. The rack no longer dominates my shops as the only place to buy. You deserve one million kudos
Instructor
#129 Old 29th Nov 2007 at 6:14 PM
Thank you very much for this and the quick update, I love the idea and the care you put into its making. You've thought about everything, amazing as usual

Marvine and Beosboxboy at InSIMenator.net and Gay Sims Club 2
Test Subject
#130 Old 29th Nov 2007 at 8:14 PM
These postcards are genius!! I love all the limitations you guys put on them as far as having to visit the vacation lot first before you can buy or sell them, and the differences between buying them from a community lot as opposed to the business lot that your Sims own. I read through the entire description and i also found it easy to read and understand. (very professionally written) Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful talents with us and for creating such an awe inspiring product for our sims to use and enjoy.

[I]Carolyn Moore
[I]raven98590@hotmail.com
Instructor
#131 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 7:06 AM
why did you put english on them.? and also why spread the texted ones on different sets, this way i have to take out so much of them
it would have been better if u gathered the texted ones in one group i think

im not skilled at computorthings, and im definately no artist so the choice of altering them is not an option to me

other than that im very, very grateful, it didnt make sense going on vacation and not be able to get postcards.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#132 Old 30th Nov 2007 at 10:27 AM Last edited by MaryLou & Numenor : 30th Nov 2007 at 10:43 AM.
Quote:
why did you put english on them.?

We used an English text only on 4 postcards: three reading "Merry Christmas" (usually the Christmas objects use this English expression and not Simlish........) , and one reading "The Best".
"SimVille" is the name of a neighborhood - a custom neighborhood that you can find here at MTS2- like Pleasantview, Strangetown and Veronaville.
We think that these sentence (Merry Christmas and The Best) are not only English, but international: everyone in the world can understand them and use them as well.
This is a choice we have made, you may like it or not, but so it is......
In Italy we say that "You can't look into the mouth of a horse that you get as a gift"

Instructor
#133 Old 1st Dec 2007 at 7:21 AM
im not ungrateful, i like them lots!
im just not a fan of english in my game (even if i do use the english version and not the swedish one......some irony huh )...my neighbourhoods are not "english" so logic says (to me) dump anything english
Simlish is the logical choice for me, but im not everyone right!
Im just going to take out the sets with english and make do with the ones left.
You are great and u know it.
I admire artists everywhere and i always get impressed what can be done with creativity and talent
Field Researcher
#134 Old 1st Dec 2007 at 11:10 AM
I was worried that the revised version might mess up my postcard lots but nope, they work just fine.

Hasn't anyone gone traveling? You buy postcards with non-English words on them when you travel abroad. Ergo, Sims, when they travel, get postcards with words THEY can't read--English. I understand that the Japanese love English words because we have such a variety of fonts available to us, something their language doesn't allow for. So it's fun for them to use English to label products because of its capacity to be a design element as well as to communicate some meaning. If Sims could be impressed with MS Comic Sans, they would be impressed to be able to display a card saying "Merry Christmas" in English.

Is it just me? if a Sim comes walking past the camera and his sweatshirt says UNIVERSITY in Simlish, I can read it just fine. It really isn't another language so much as an alternative letter set. EA didn't bother to make a new language, just a new alphabet.
Field Researcher
#135 Old 2nd Dec 2007 at 5:09 AM
Thanks for updating the files, you guys rock!
Test Subject
#136 Old 4th Dec 2007 at 12:06 AM
Wonderful! Thank you!
Test Subject
#137 Old 7th Dec 2007 at 4:18 PM
thank you! i was waiting for something like this, is it possible to add text in the postcards? or to write letters and send to other sims? I think it could be fun for those who share the game with household, like me =D
Lab Assistant
#138 Old 21st Dec 2007 at 2:13 PM
This is great I love the idea. I'm surprised Maxis didn't think of these LOL

Nikki

Thank you for everything! You all are great those who create and those who download! Thank you!

If you're looking to read a Sims 4 drama visit Amanda Lived
Lab Assistant
#139 Old 25th Dec 2007 at 2:59 PM
Postcards Galore!
I'm just blown away by your creativity & talent! Amazing. I love your work. Thank you so much for all you give to the community! :lovestruc :lovestruc :lovestruc
Lab Assistant
#140 Old 10th Jan 2008 at 1:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cnj6768
Erm, how come all the images are blinking 'no hotlinking'? Otherwise, the thumbnail looks nice

Yes same... thumbnail does look nice though lol =)

"Splaglio, Jagoof?"
Field Researcher
#141 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 12:26 PM Last edited by BlackCat007 : 15th Jan 2008 at 12:39 PM.
I found one major bug. It's hard to notice, but after i finally did, I tested. I had only postcards, counter and cash register on the lot and my sim wanted to buy a souvenir. Postcards do not sutisfy this want.
I guess you cloned it from souvenir rack and this is a leftover. Cn it be fixed?
I really love them and have them on almost every community lot, but it's kinda annoing since this want pops right away.

I only had postcards in my downloads folder
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#142 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 2:07 PM
Not all the racks can satisfy the wants: only the three "exotic" racks can do that (Beach, Far East and Mountain); moreover, the want can be satisfied only if the purchase is user-directed (not autonomous) and if it happens in normal community lots (not in OFB shops).
Exactly, what racks are you buying the postcards from? And in which type of lot are you trying to buy the postcards?

However, we're going to test the racks again in game, just to be sure that everything's still as it should

Field Researcher
#143 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 5:44 PM Last edited by BlackCat007 : 16th Jan 2008 at 8:01 AM.
I don't know which one I used, I'll try again now. But i'm pritty sure it wasn't exotic.
I added them to my "home" community lots, and I made sure that there won't be no exotic ones, cause i wanted to add them lately to bon voyage lots. So I saw this only on normal community lots, not vacation.

EDIT: Tested in the same conditions again with the greetings cards, just to be sure, got the want, no satisfaction
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#144 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 10:30 PM
It's correct: the "greetings" rack is not supposed to satisfy the "buy a souvenir" want (greeting cards aren't souvenirs).

Field Researcher
#145 Old 16th Jan 2008 at 7:59 AM
Exactly! Then why do I get the want?
There were no other object on the lot, except counter and cash register.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#146 Old 16th Jan 2008 at 9:30 AM
Wouldn't you really think that the mere existence of an object in a lot can trigger a want, would you? Objects can surely satisfy a want, but the game triggers wants and fears depending on the sims' aspirations, location, possessions, family status, social relationships and several other conditions, but not regarding the objects present on the lot.

Field Researcher
#147 Old 16th Jan 2008 at 7:38 PM
Actually, I do think it's the case.
I do get a want to use that sphere thingy, when there is one on the lot, I do get quiet a lot a want to play poker, bowl or sing karaoke, when those objects are on the lot, and almost never if they are not present.
So i figured that game somehow checks what objects are there, and generates wants PARTLY on those criterias too.
Anyhow, why should i get a want to buy a souvenier if i'm not on vacation?
Just to be sure i tested, again.
I created one more lot with counter, cash register and cloth rack only.
I made my poor test sim to travel from first lot to the second, back and forth, until he almost died from starvation.
Results: 8 times on first lot(with postcards) = 8 times suvenier want
8 times on second lot = 8 times NO suvenoer want

Test for yourselves.
Mad Poster
#148 Old 16th Jan 2008 at 7:58 PM
I agree with BlackCat007. My Sims only ever roll the want to buy a souvenir when there is a souvenir object on the lot. Likewise they only ever roll the want to buy jewelery when there is a jewelery stand on the lot.
I've got no problem with it though, I'm mearly stating my experience.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Lab Assistant
#149 Old 6th Feb 2008 at 11:47 AM
Look wonderful! Any chance of a zip File? Pc hates rar files! Thanks
Test Subject
#150 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 5:10 PM
wow, realley good! My sims can't wait for postcards...

but I can't download the showcase. What should I do?
Page 6 of 8