Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th May 2006 at 3:19 PM
Default TUTORIAL: Correct Footstep Noises On Skins!
I have observed for awhile now that people frequently rework meshes, often Maxian meshes, into Something Entirely Different. Often, a footwear is reskinned into an entirely different class of footwear, particularly prevalent in anything derived from the barefoot "underwear" and "swimsuit" meshes for tight clothing, as well as in custom meshes derived from the above.

The result is that the footstep sound is wrong.

Fixing this is actually quite simple, and it would be nice if creators of quality works paid attention to this little detail. Here's how it's done.

Open up the finished skinfile in your SimPE of choice. Open up the GZPS propertyset, like one would do to YA-enable clothes, and find the entry "Shoe". Alter it if necessary to one of the values below.

The following values have been identified:
0x00: None - This outfit is a top and has no shoe. Don't use.
0x01: Barefoot - This outfit is barefoot and has no shoe - very commonly an erroneous value for swimsuit remeshes to something else.
0x02: Heavy Boot - Heavy stompin' boot.
0x03: Heeled: Some kind of heeled shoe, produces the heel click on walk.
0x04: Normal shoe: Generic ordinary shoe lacking noteworthy characteristics.
0x05: Sandal: Some manner of floppy sandal, found on Maxian sandal-skins.
0x07: Armored: Found on the OFB Knight Armor.

Having made this change, you have now made a complete, properly awesome skin and can go brag about it. Otherwise, you suck.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Advertisement
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th May 2006 at 8:24 PM
Why, thank you, Pescado! That's not something most of us have thought we could even do when we changed the shoes on our outfits. I will now, though.

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Test Subject
#3 Old 12th May 2006 at 8:41 AM
This just grrreat, THANK YOU! this is the sweet topping to my new mesh. :>

Never, under any circumstance, not even once in a while, is it appropriate to wear socks with your sandals.
Test Subject
#4 Old 13th May 2006 at 8:43 PM
Very nice job,

Thank you so much !!
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2006 at 12:03 AM
Awesome! I'll be using SimPE more often now. Thanks oodles! <3

Look everyone. A signature. <3
Instructor
#6 Old 11th Jul 2006 at 8:10 PM
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Jul 2006 at 9:02 AM
Yeah, spread the word. Flaunt the correctness of your footstep noises and how you made it possible.

Also, if the "template" skin of a new mesh has the correct noises, recolors of that mesh should inherit the correct noises when someone clones them in Bodyshop.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 3rd Jul 2008 at 10:02 AM
I'd like to add;

0x06: Slipper/soft shoe.

Sorry, no more requests for the preg teens.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 10:35 AM
finally!

"When life gives you lemons, see the lemons, feels the lemons, BE THE LEMONS!"

Take a look-see, hmm...? Go on, click them:
The Super Mario Project, Nintendorks Island-Celebrating 2 Years Online!