Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jun 2020 at 2:55 PM Last edited by Holoqueen : 19th Jun 2020 at 4:49 PM.
Default (solved) Making a "floating" appliance (from ATS3) counter-friendly
Hi!

So the item I would like to fiddle with in the red hob'n'microwave combo in the middle here
It was made to be place on top the fridge from the same set (fridge with no footprint, so no clashes), but it can't be used on a normal counter. My sims complain that the counter is in the way.
I've been trying to edit the flags in the OBJD to make them match this microwave's, but it's not working.

Anyone has any clue?
I would have tried asking ATS3's creator (I seem to remember someone calling her Sandy, but I don't really know!), but I didn't find a way to do that!

Have a great day,

Maïlys
Advertisement
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#2 Old 16th Jun 2020 at 6:42 PM
Hi there,
This thread might be of interest, though it's not very conclusive. I'm not sure what enable_llamas did to get the stove to work through the counter, but I tried changing the CounterAppliance flag to true in SlotPlacement which didn't work even when moving it forward.
It might be worth looking into the dishwasher object as Lyralei suggested, or see if it works in between two counters like it did for jje1000.
I can have a look at it too

Hope this is of some use, but if not perhaps you could message enable_llamas to see what they did to get their stove working?
Senior Moderator
#3 Old 16th Jun 2020 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
Hi there,
This thread might be of interest, though it's not very conclusive. I'm not sure what enable_llamas did to get the stove to work through the counter, but I tried changing the CounterAppliance flag to true in SlotPlacement which didn't work even when moving it forward.
It might be worth looking into the dishwasher object as Lyralei suggested, or see if it works in between two counters like it did for jje1000.
I can have a look at it too

Hope this is of some use, but if not perhaps you could message enable_llamas to see what they did to get their stove working?

edit: it does actually work when you put it in between two counters so that's probably the easiest way round it without getting into scripting or messing with the rig (which i'm not at all sure about )

edit edit: i meant to edit and not reply but oh well
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Jun 2020 at 3:33 PM
edit: it does actually work when you put it in between two counters so that's probably the easiest way round it without getting into scripting or messing with the rig (which i'm not at all sure about )

edit edit: i meant to edit and not reply but oh well

Thank you so much!
I'll go and try the different options in that thread, but I love the fact that it can be used when put in the middle, it's so fun! (and also, in a tiny house concept, having a lot of stuff in not so much space is kinda normal ^^')

Thank youuuuuu
Instructor
#5 Old 17th Jun 2020 at 5:16 PM
Hey idk if mentions work or not but I didn't get any and just saw the thread on the front page... anyway:

First, what flags in the objd have you been changing and I'm confused why do you use a microwave as a reference?

The problem with such appliances with disabled footprint is not with themselves, but with the footprint of the object (counter) you're putting them over that's in the way. I haven't tested the ats3 combo but took a quick glance with S3PE and it already seems enabled to be placed over stuff. It can be placed and be routable over that specific fridge because it also has no footprint. What I did with my stove top was just to add instructions to place it while holding alt and dragging it very slightly forward so its footprint comes in front of the counter's. You can see it illustrated with pics here (14th pic). I changed a few more flags to make it placeable without moo and make double sure it won't be in the way. You can find them in the FTPT (first one when sorting by tag) : Grid > Chunk Entries > RCOLBlock > Footprint Areas > Area Type Flags - ForPlacement, ForPathing and IsEnabled are set to true; Allow Intersection Flags - Objects, Sims and Objects Of Same Type are True.

This way mine works and the slot on the counter underneath is still usable. Good luck!
Senior Moderator
#6 Old 17th Jun 2020 at 8:32 PM Last edited by zoe22 : 17th Jun 2020 at 8:42 PM.
Ah yeah I didn't actually @ you @enable_llamas but probably should have done lol

I actually tested it moving it forward slightly with alt, and even halfway in front of the counter but that didn't work either, it only worked when it was completely away from the counter. I'm not sure if it is something to do with the footprint of the this specific oven as oppose to a standard sized one, as the "oven" part is further back than the stove top (though I believe it's only decorative because that part doesn't actually function as the oven, so I dunno :P).
The other problem is the fact that the "oven" part is supposed to be mounted to a wall and so even if it works brought forward from the wall, it would look a bit strange

But for me, the only thing that made it work was having it halfway between two counters. Perhaps it would work using the alt method if those flags you mentioned are changed? But the best way is probably to put it in between 2 counters, that way it works fine and the oven part is properly against the wall

edit: Actually I had another look at it now and it does seem to be the case that it only works when the actual "oven" part is forward from the counter, so you would actually have to have the stove top half off the counter, and the oven part way forward from the wall. So having it between the two counters seems like the best bet
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Jun 2020 at 12:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by enable_llamas
Hey idk if mentions work or not but I didn't get any and just saw the thread on the front page... anyway:

First, what flags in the objd have you been changing and I'm confused why do you use a microwave as a reference?

The problem with such appliances with disabled footprint is not with themselves, but with the footprint of the object (counter) you're putting them over that's in the way. I haven't tested the ats3 combo but took a quick glance with S3PE and it already seems enabled to be placed over stuff. It can be placed and be routable over that specific fridge because it also has no footprint. What I did with my stove top was just to add instructions to place it while holding alt and dragging it very slightly forward so its footprint comes in front of the counter's. You can see it illustrated with pics here (14th pic). I changed a few more flags to make it placeable without moo and make double sure it won't be in the way. You can find them in the FTPT (first one when sorting by tag) : Grid > Chunk Entries > RCOLBlock > Footprint Areas > Area Type Flags - ForPlacement, ForPathing and IsEnabled are set to true; Allow Intersection Flags - Objects, Sims and Objects Of Same Type are True.

This way mine works and the slot on the counter underneath is still usable. Good luck!

Thanks for the explanations!
I had tried to move it forward with ALT, and it hadn't worked, but I'll input your FTPT edits!

As for why a microwave, well, I had one in my CC (which meant I didn't have to learn how to extract an object from the game), and nooby little me thought that since it goes on countertops it would work (I can work fabric or yarn like nobody's business, but coding definitely ain't my thing, as they say )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Jun 2020 at 12:09 PM
Ah yeah I didn't actually @ you @enable_llamas but probably should have done lol

I actually tested it moving it forward slightly with alt, and even halfway in front of the counter but that didn't work either, it only worked when it was completely away from the counter. I'm not sure if it is something to do with the footprint of the this specific oven as oppose to a standard sized one, as the "oven" part is further back than the stove top (though I believe it's only decorative because that part doesn't actually function as the oven, so I dunno :P).
The other problem is the fact that the "oven" part is supposed to be mounted to a wall and so even if it works brought forward from the wall, it would look a bit strange

But for me, the only thing that made it work was having it halfway between two counters. Perhaps it would work using the alt method if those flags you mentioned are changed? But the best way is probably to put it in between 2 counters, that way it works fine and the oven part is properly against the wall

edit: Actually I had another look at it now and it does seem to be the case that it only works when the actual "oven" part is forward from the counter, so you would actually have to have the stove top half off the counter, and the oven part way forward from the wall. So having it between the two counters seems like the best bet

Yeah, the fact that it's a combo probably makes it that much more complex! Like I said in my reply to enable_llamas, I'm an absolute noob when it comes to modding, and to me the fact that someone manage to make the combo object in the first place is a crazy sciency-miracle-thingy

Thanks so much for trying it all out like that, I really appreciate it
Instructor
#9 Old 18th Jun 2020 at 12:57 PM
Ok I tried it in game and it seems zoe22's solution to put it b/w two counters is the best. Idk why it doesn't work slightly pulled out, I guess the mesh it uses has all the joints/slots/rig further back and is still blocked by the counter. Now I remember I did reposition mine further back a bit to compensate for the move and still look like it's on the counter without sticking out, but definitely not by that much... And you're right, the wall mounted part would look weird if away from the wall. Sorry we couldn't find a better solution, hope you still find it useful somehow
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 19th Jun 2020 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by enable_llamas
Ok I tried it in game and it seems zoe22's solution to put it b/w two counters is the best. Idk why it doesn't work slightly pulled out, I guess the mesh it uses has all the joints/slots/rig further back and is still blocked by the counter. Now I remember I did reposition mine further back a bit to compensate for the move and still look like it's on the counter without sticking out, but definitely not by that much... And you're right, the wall mounted part would look weird if away from the wall. Sorry we couldn't find a better solution, hope you still find it useful somehow

No worries, you guys actually did find a solution, albeit slightly unconventionnal (but oh so simple for non modders!)!
And even if you hadn't, I really appreciate you taking the time