Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 9:51 PM
Default Talk about your builds in The Sims 4 here!
Hello everyone,

I like building in TS4, it's so fluent and easy, and I feel like I could build almost anything, and I try to. I also like to talk about the builds, to say just anything about them.
This thread is made for anyone who would like to do the same, to post whatever you want to say about the builds you make in the game - if you like them, what they are for, if you want some input, if you just want to brag and post some pictures, that is all good.

To start off:
I have now only two lots left unmodified in the new world Henford-on-Bagley, the rest are made. I have a long list where I write which lots I have plans for, and which are done. The one I am doing next is a farm land, a residential for a vegetable farmer sim that I want to have a retail selling all the edible harvestables in game, evolved to perfect quality. The farm is to be in neighbourhood Old New Henford, on lot: 2 Olde Mill Lane (50X40). The retail I think I will place in neighbourhood Finchwick, on lot: 5 Cobblebottom Street (30X20). I have a couple of ideas for the farm, looking at pictures of farm lands and intending to use debug etc, but am a little unsure on how to do the retail. Such places are always slightly ugly, and I for some reason find it more challenging and fun to make the lots look realistic, but I don't really see it fitting in, in the world. So that's where I am at! How's it going for you?

(It's of course up to the moderators of this place, but I don't mind for this thread to be resurfaced).
Advertisement
Smeg Head
#2 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 12:26 AM
I don't know how to build small. I have no idea. I don't know when to stop. Even if they gave us a 5x5 lot, I would still manage to fill it, over-stuff it, with damn near everything. How the heck do you build small? How the heck do you stop at tiny? Even with the Tiny Living pack, I thought, that might help, recondition me, restrain me. Nope. On a 1x1 lot I could still pull off the impossibly big. I know, I've tried. I failed. Big, big, frikken big. I'll use every Moo cheat available and fill it up. Then make mods to stuff even more in. Don't know when to quit.

How do you build small? Moreover, why would you build small?!!!

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 1:06 AM
I think I'm having the opposite problem, I just made a large mountain range and a wide lake on a lot, to fill it up with anything that I haven't used many times before, and the hills are to steep for sims to traverse so half the lot is useless. I loved Tiny Living, and like the 20X15 lots best for residentials, as sims don't need that much on their home lot. I'd love a 5x5 lot, all my sims would inhabit them, and then travel to the community venues for entertainment and social gatherings, voting for communism and sharing is caring!
Field Researcher
#4 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 2:14 PM
I think people who build are probably some very frustrated people (of course, how would I know - I just know that I am.) I'm not much of a builder, but at times I do try to remodel that of others to fit my needs. I'm mostly frustrated with the bouncing camera - that is the stupidest thing I've ever encountered, ever since they introduced it. Maybe it was a charming novelty in the beginning, but now it's just an annoying piece of crap. It's what turned me off from trying to learn to build complicated lots. (Of course, my opinion - those who build may really enjoy the thing. May be their favorite item of build mode.)

And then there's the lockup. Sometimes in the middle of a large remodeling which takes me some time to do, I forget to save what I've done. Then the game punishes me for not saving my work by locking up. Yesterday I was working on a lot and this happened. I couldn't save, and the only way I could get out was to shut down, hence losing all my work.

God, is this a frustrating game.

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 3:21 PM
Something was fixed in patch 1.77.131/1.44, but when switching floor I always need a couple of seconds to balance the camera from drifting, and zooming in on second floor and up is a bit of a chore. I rarely build several floors though, can't bother to wait for the sims to go up and down stairs all the time, and don't know what to fill the space with, since I don't want all the same objects on every lot.

I figured out what to do with the retail, making it look like a indoor market place I can give it a glass roof and high decorated windows. I could have done that otherwise too of course, I seem mostly to be limited by my own imagination when building.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 7:06 PM
I have built maybe a thousand Sim lots or more as love to build. I have no issues with the camera. Mine is set to the Sims 3 style. My complaint as always is the lack of CASt and the totally, ridiculously small worlds, where there are not enough lots for my building wants.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 8:04 PM
I got curious and had to count the builds I've made: 140 in my back.up folder, but guessing there are several in the save not placed there I think around 200 builds. I've only played for two years though, I'll be back.
I don't really compare the two games except to look for positive things with them, and while I appreciated CASt I don't miss it, it's much too fun to build anyway. I think if I would concentrate on the negatives I'd just be put off playing the game, and what else is there to do then! I'd have to find a new hobby.
Instructor
#8 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 12:07 AM
I like to build but am slowing down as I've got enough houses to go on with and want to play more, especially since Cottage Living came out.

Otherwise I've got a couple of hundred basic houses built up since 2014, some empties, that I redecorate a lot. on the principle of leaving at least two squares between objects that would affect the routing. It's still based on the old Sims laws there. My Sims like 'em. Start them off with the basics and an assigned bed and let them go.

I've started a lot of my Sims off with just a tent, table, chair, barbecue and a shed for toilet, shower & sink and they seem to get on very well that way. That was the way recommended by one of the early programmers in "The Sims" as the best way to accumulate simoleons back in those days!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 12:16 AM
Oh, yes, I like the challenge of starting the sims off at the beginning with nothing! For Henford-on-Bagley I've made one house looking like an abandoned cottage in the woods - haunted, walls torn down, rubbish everywhere, mold on the wallpaper, the worst looking debug trees in the yard etc. i've made up a renovation challenge with strict rules for how many times a sim day I get to change things in build mode, and what, and so forth. I'm really looking forward to playing it.

Mostly though I plan all the world's themes and population at once, and set out to build the houses, using motherlode/freerealestate to move my intended sims in later. I have all the worlds but one, and am not nearly done yet with all the residentials and venues.
Instructor
#10 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 5:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by andes
Oh, yes, I like the challenge of starting the sims off at the beginning with nothing! For Henford-on-Bagley I've made one house looking like an abandoned cottage in the woods - haunted, walls torn down, rubbish everywhere, mold on the wallpaper, the worst looking debug trees in the yard etc. i've made up a renovation challenge with strict rules for how many times a sim day I get to change things in build mode, and what, and so forth. I'm really looking forward to playing it.

Mostly though I plan all the world's themes and population at once, and set out to build the houses, using motherlode/freerealestate to move my intended sims in later. I have all the worlds but one, and am not nearly done yet with all the residentials and venues.

There's another way. Move a family or Sim into the cheapest house in the neighbourhood, click on all the neighbourhood doors around it and "move family in" Those moving in get a good house and keep their 20000 simoleons.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 10:34 PM Last edited by andes : 12th Aug 2021 at 2:48 PM.
Yes, sure, that'd work too.

While testing the begun build I could not set the harvestables for sale, so will need to wait a while for that to, hopefully, get fixed. The plan was to sell some cooked food as well, and I'll have to import a sim skilled in cooking to the build save for testing to see how it will turn out, and maybe I can finish the build at least anyway. It did put a hamper on my wish to build it though, I'll test some more, maybe it's just that save.

EDIT:
So first draft (the pictures exchanged for new ones of the done build)

EDIT 2:
Tested some more and harvestables harvested in game can be set for sale in a retail, just not the ones from the seed packets in buy mode. Possibly because they are not harvestables /don't belong to the sim yet. When saved to a retail that then was sold and bought anew, they could be set for sale. So not an issue, just my misunderstanding, which I'm very relieved about.

EDIT 3:
Done, turned out nice, maybe not really fitting into the world, doesn't matter much though. Need to playtest again when all the items that will be for sale are made, I'm a bit unsure about the wall shelves, the routing seems a little picky for retails.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 4:55 PM Last edited by andes : 9th Oct 2021 at 10:56 AM.
I just finished a building I mean to have in the quarry district in Evergreen Harbour, and use as a retail for selling fabricated furniture. It took a while, the friezes and roof needed some fiddling, but it got the look of the quarry stones now, and fits very well in its environment. Here are some pictures, just to brag:

Edit:
When clicking to open the store this bug happened: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...e/td-p/10527217

It also happened when clicking the button to open a restaurant I've built on Rockridge Springs. Me Too on the thread if you have the bug.
Screenshots
Instructor
#13 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 11:02 PM
I love building basements usually with entrances via the kitchen or next to the stairs or downstairs loo. Lots of the Maxis builds can be added to like that. I stick all the Laundry stuff in there, another toilet, storage for trunks & Christmas trees and maybe, a butler's private apartments. It saves all the changes to the roofing! They make good spy bunkers or vampire bedrooms too.
You can get some extra light in if you surround the ground floor by the pool tool one square wide where the basement ends, with a small fence surround and give them windows through from the basement.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Oct 2021 at 11:11 PM
Hehe, sticking the butler in the basement, what a service! I usually put them up in the attic, only getting that service for sims living in large mansions. Having a storeroom attached to the kitchen is charming. and that's a good tip for lighter basements, I'll try it. I've built a bar in a basement, with a small mountain on top, for the sims daring to go into the troll king's cave; and like the effect it makes to 'dig out' the ground, a basement with open roof; I've made an 'archeological dig' of a viking grave looking like that, and am rebuilding a very fine 'Star Wars' building I found on the gallery, for the desert in Strangerville, that also has that feature.
Instructor
#15 Old 9th Oct 2021 at 1:17 PM
Hehe, sticking the butler in the basement, what a service! I usually put them up in the attic, only getting that service for sims living in large mansions. Having a storeroom attached to the kitchen is charming. and that's a good tip for lighter basements, I'll try it. I've built a bar in a basement, with a small mountain on top, for the sims daring to go into the troll king's cave; and like the effect it makes to 'dig out' the ground, a basement with open roof; I've made an 'archeological dig' of a viking grave looking like that, and am rebuilding a very fine 'Star Wars' building I found on the gallery, for the desert in Strangerville, that also has that feature.

No, In the UK a lot of the kitchens were "below stairs" Warmer too than the attics, and the Butler and the Butlers pantry had good lodgings down there, especially if near to the wine cellar! Lots of port and sherry bottles had locks on them in those days as some butlers were partial to it and also watering the wine to hide it! Such apartments, in London especially, are now very valuable. Maids got put in the attics and got the leaks and cold.

I've also taken bunkers from the Gallery and some Batuu builds and used Oasis Springs for them to make a refuge for aliens and those fleeing from The Mother in Strangerville. Those places I found less interesting when visited several times so went back and rebuilt Oasis Springs as an alien/refugee fantasy world, getting rid of the Maxis Sims.

I'm continually surprised by Maxis builders, that having made basements as base game that they never have used them in most packs they've brought out. Why not a cellar in the pub in Country Living as all pubs in the UK have a cellar to put the beer kegs in?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 9th Oct 2021 at 3:33 PM
Then it's me who's unkind, putting them in the drafty attic - but then that sort of goes with the gameplay, as I like the setup of having a butler for those families used to paying their way in the world...!

Now that you say it, it is rather curious that there seldom are any basements in the premade builds shipped with the worlds. I did get this bug when I built the viking grave:
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...ts/td-p/4531842

The tread is messy and closed by an EA Forum Manager for being 'old'; but bug happens sometimes when having different heights (aka ground level/basement), where some things, the wall/ground, disappears into blue nothingness. So maybe basements are tricky, and they tell their builders to not do them in general? I'm just speculating of course, and jokingly.

I like your setup of refugee alien camps in Oasis Springs; I'm planning to give Mother space to do what she wants, I kind of like the crazy vibe, the etheric singing notes in Strangerville and all the weird NPC's running around. I'll maybe have aliens later on, descendants to my plantsim, the 'grand daughter' of Mother, but'll keep them in the Strange Desert. Batuu objects are very fitting for that world, but versatile; I've used them for buildings in Komorebi, well adapted for that aestetics as well.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 10th Oct 2021 at 2:51 AM
I have done a lot of walk out basements in 3. They are very fun to do. And have done basement garages. And.....
We could do so much more in 3 which is why I still love to build in 3 vs 4. Not to mention the obvious, CASt there.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 10th Oct 2021 at 5:24 AM
Yes, it's so appealing an aesthetic, I don't really know why; perhaps the multiple open levels plays tricks on the mind making the build look promising, complex and waiting to be discovered.

I liked CASt but this update though added a lot of new swatches, and to some objects I use a lot. I haven't patched yet, I'm waiting a while to see if there pops up any complaints about gamebreaking bugs, but I look forward to use the new colours in decorating.
Instructor
#19 Old 10th Oct 2021 at 3:26 PM
I'm just waiting for a cemetery with a mausoleum. What I could do with that! A Ghost bar and underworld for them, with tunnels and things ghost kind would like and the occasional live Sims to terrorise! Haunted house on top maybe?

Maxis have stunted imaginations these days.

I'm just annoyed that Grimmy has just killed off my Nanny Ogg, with no one to plead for her, leaving her cat Greebo all alone. She had just bought a cow and chickens too.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 10th Oct 2021 at 4:36 PM
Haha, makes me want to go back and finish my 'grave yard': a haunted house residential, with many graves from debug and plans of placing dead sims' urns and graves there as well, and have the resident, the grave keeper, have interesting ghosts for roommates. The guinea pig looks much friendlier than I imagined it would, I think a sim killed by Mother would be nice too, and of course a sad lady in long dresses..

Send Greebo to me, my Magrat'll take care of him (reluctantly).
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#21 Old 10th Oct 2021 at 7:08 PM
Hehe, sticking the butler in the basement, what a service! I usually put them up in the attic,.

The Butler is meant to be downstairs as he may at any moment have to suddenly dress and open the door to a visitor. So his room is supposed to be where he can look up out of his window at the front door.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 11th Oct 2021 at 11:00 AM
When I bought that pack and got a butler with the trait mean, and with an outfit I couldn't change, I decided to make my own 'servants'. I know one of the assignments for the butler is to answer the door, but I haven't played a household where I've put one in, long enough to see it happen. I usually see them do their idles of tasting the invisible dust and talking inappropriately to their employer, I guess that is the joke. I kind of liked that the maids often were kleptomaniacs in TS3 for the same reason. When I test the builds they don't seem to have any routing issues from having a bed three floors up, but then I often have No Visitors lot traits on mansions, to fit the gameplay. But maybe you weren't talking about the game..? :P
Instructor
#23 Old 11th Oct 2021 at 3:12 PM
Haha, makes me want to go back and finish my 'grave yard': a haunted house residential, with many graves from debug and plans of placing dead sims' urns and graves there as well, and have the resident, the grave keeper, have interesting ghosts for roommates. The guinea pig looks much friendlier than I imagined it would, I think a sim killed by Mother would be nice too, and of course a sad lady in long dresses..

Send Greebo to me, my Magrat'll take care of him (reluctantly).

I'm not being defeated by Grimmy. I put my Granny Ogg in my Library, so she and Greebo will be resurrected and she'll be going for extra long life this time round plus all the spells and herbs to help! Her relative and his wife came to replace her but Grimmy had killed off the cow, the barn and the chicken coup too but still left the chickens!

She's moving into Henford-on-Bagley and I'm building a new house for her there. Onwards and upwards!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 11th Oct 2021 at 4:17 PM
I'm building in Komorebi now, got a little rebuffed by the bug in Evergreen Harbour, although I'm not done with the lots in that world. My Izakaya and Okiya are done, and I'll test the Ochaya now, all placed in Senbamachi where I'll enact Free Love NAP.

It's a good character to play with, Nanny Ogg, of course she's not defeated by THE REAPER. I wanted a soppy wet hen, not a competent spellcaster, hence Magrat, she's the only witch in my world, none are allowed to go visit the magic realm on account of I don't want any brooms flying around; but I got her pregnant before I saved her to library, so she can be a nanny in good time.
Instructor
#25 Old 11th Oct 2021 at 9:38 PM
I'm building in Komorebi now, got a little rebuffed by the bug in Evergreen Harbour, although I'm not done with the lots in that world. My Izakaya and Okiya are done, and I'll test the Ochaya now, all placed in Senbamachi where I'll enact Free Love NAP.

It's a good character to play with, Nanny Ogg, of course she's not defeated by THE REAPER. I wanted a soppy wet hen, not a competent spellcaster, hence Magrat, she's the only witch in my world, none are allowed to go visit the magic realm on account of I don't want any brooms flying around; but I got her pregnant before I saved her to library, so she can be a nanny in good time.

Pity we can't build proper castles with round turrets for her and King Verence to live in per Pratchett style!
I would love a Sim type game of Terry Pratchett's world but not made by EA! So much species diversity.
Page 1 of 2