Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Dec 2011 at 10:29 PM Last edited by justJones : 14th Feb 2014 at 12:59 AM.
Default The Hotel Challenge [WIP, Testers Wanted]
This idea came to me when I went on a weekend getaway. Being the simaholic I am, I cannot go one hour without thinking about Sims. So while I stayed there, I started thinking, since we don't have hotels like in Bon Voyage, why don't I make a challenge?

The point of this challenge, quite obviously, is to have your sim run a hotel for many generations to come, gaining fame and fortune on the way.

RULES
~No cheats except in the beginning, and except for payday (explained later)
~You may have as many guests as you want, BUT there cannot be more than 4 to a room (4 twin beds or 2 double beds). Keep in mind couples and family can sleep together.
~No hiring services (pizza, maid, adoption etc) the only services you may have are Newspaper Delivery.
~I would recommend the Long or Epic lifespan options for this challenge, but would definitely not recommend Short. If you have Generations/the patch that you can adjust your sim's lifespans, I'd do somethig along the Long lifespan lines.
~You MUST create the guests so you can pick their traits, unless you want to modify a townie's traits.
~As far as for feeding your guests, you must keep them well fed at all times, but you cannot make them the same meal twice in a row, or the same meal/s every day. (For example, you cannot have spaghetti for lunch and dinner, or you can't have waffles for breakfast two days in a row). Also, employees may eat leftovers, but you are not allowed to feed leftovers to guests.

CREATING YOUR MANAGER

Your main sim. Go to CAS and start creating a sim. You are free to customize them but you must keep to these rules:
~The sim must be of ages YA-Elder ages, I'd recommend YA since it gives the sim plenty of time to keep up with his/her duties.
~Your sim MUST have the following traits: Neat, Handy, Friendly, Natural Cook, Brave. This is because your sim will be cleaning up after them, as well as cooking, fixing appliances, putting out any fires and of course it doesn't hurt to get along with the guests.
~Your sim can only have the following LTWs: Heartbreaker, Gold Digger (H and GD will both require some off-work time, and note that even though you can have relationships with the guests and employees, you probably shouldn't ), The Culinary Librarian, Bottomless Nectar Cellar (WA, and again will require a lot of off-work time), Chess Legend, Descendant of da Vinci (once again, lots of personal time), Golden Tongue Golden Fingers, Great Explorer (will require WA and a lot of money, but great if you do get sick of your hotel and want to kick things up a notch), Illustrious Author, Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous (you'll need to get out some, though), Martial Arts Master, Master of the Arts, Master Romancer, Monster Maker (you can keep the SimBots/Mummies as employees, or kick them out and keep them as guests, though they may need some different attention suited to their unique needs), One Sim Band, Perfect Mind, Perfect Body, Physical Perfection, Presenting the Perfect Private Aquarium, Private Museum (again, will need WA and a chunk of your profit), Renaissance Sim, Seasoned Traveller (for the last time, WA, cash and patience are all needed), Super Popular (you can make friends with the guests, too!), The Perfect Garden, The Tinkerer, Visionary, World Class Gallery. Swimming in Cash is not allowed, since using the motherlode cheat in the beginning would obviously complete this LTW even after lowering with familyfunds, unintentionally or not.
~The rest is up to you!

CREATING YOUR GUESTS

After creating your manager, go back to CAS. You can make your guests as you want but if you get stuck here's a few examples. All guests must have the Slob trait!!!!! Rather than adjust by guests, I've fitted the examples to rooms and THEN guests, and there are 8 examples since you can only create 8 sims per family. Feel free to have more or less guests.
~Room 1:
Both young adults on their honeymoon (make them married in Family Tree option).
Guest One: YA age, traits are Slob, Hopeless Romantic, Great Kisser, Friendly, & Excitable
Guest Two: YA age, traits are Slob, Hopeless Romantic, Friendly, Loves the Outdoors, & Good Sense of Humor.
~Room 2:
A young, rebellious party-rocker.
Guest Three: YA age, traits are Slob, Party Animal, Inappropriate, Heavy Sleeper, & Rebellious/Childish (depends whether you have Gen or not).
~Room 3:
A grumpy elder hoping to escape from his/her neighborhood filled with children.
Guest Four: Elder, traits are Slob, Grumpy, Loner, Technophobe, and Hates the Outdoors.
~Room 4:
A starving artist/writer/whatever hoping to make a living with their skills.
Guest Five: Adult age, traits are Slob, Artisitic, Bookworm, Genius, and Computer Whiz.
~Room 5:
A quite insane sim bored of being stuck at home.
Guest Six: Adult, traits are Slob, Insane, Neurotic, Evil & Mooch.
~Room 6:
A wannabe seeking fame and fortune.
Guest Seven: YA, traits are Slob, Snob, Flirty, Star Quality/Schmoozer (LN required for SQ), Dramatic/Over Emotional (Ambitions required for Dramatic)
~Room 7
A runaway teen needing a place to stay atm.
Guest 8: Teen, traits are Slob, Perfectionist, Hot-Headed, Unlucky, and Clumsy.

HOTEL BUILDING
You can either build the hotel yourself or download one and modify it. You can use as many money cheats as you need in order to build as good a hotel as possible. Be sure all hotels have:
~Number of rooms x (per guest: there can be 4 guests to a room)
~Employee rooms (start off with one since there's only you in the beginning)
Room Requirements:
X beds per guest (only 2 doubles or 4 twins max in a room)
1 tv and couch
1 table with x sim amount chairs
At least 1 light source somewhere in the room (lamps, etc)
1 decoration somewhere in the room (this can include paintings, statues, clutter, etc)
1 laundry hamper if you have Ambitions.
1 ensuite bathroom with a toilet, shower/bathtub, sink, mirror, and light source.
If one of your guests has a baby or toddler, you may put in x cribs amount of babies/toddlers.
~At least 1 activity room (see some ideas below)
~1 kitchen with at least a stove, fridge, counter and dishwasher/sink (be sure to lock it for everybody but me/household so that the guests cannot access the kitchen)
~1 laundry room if you have Ambitions
~(Optional) A lobby with a desk with a computer and telephone on it, and maybe some waiting chairs.
~BE SURE TO KEEP ALL DOORS LOCKED!!!! All doors leading out of the lot should be locked, allowing only your household or your sim though, this is so that your guests cannot leave the hotel. If you buy a new door be sure to lock it as soon as you go into Live Mode. Your guests do not need to be locked in their rooms all day, just make sure that guests can't get out of the lot. Needless to say, all outdoor areas should be fenced off or have locked gates as well.
~I would suggest a bookshelf somewhere in the hotel so you can get the Cooking Level 1 book and the Handiness Level 1 book, and others.

Once you're done with the initial setup, use familyfunds to drop or raise your funds to 2,700 simoleans, and save (it'd be a shame if you lost all that work). If you haven't yet moved your owner into the lot, use the freerealestate cheat to move into the lot and then drop your funds to 2,700.

Some activity room ideas:
~Gym with at least 5 workout machines and equipment. A pool is optional of course
~Indoor or outdoor (or both) pool with hot tubs and showers.
~Game room with fooseball table, arcade machines (LN), Darts game (LN)
~Bar, Late Night required
~Dance/party room with a bar if you have LN
~Recreation room with art easels, sketch pads if you have Ambitions, some TVs, invention tables (Am), computers, and other skill-building items
~Small coffee cafe
~Library with bookshelves and computers

GETTING YOUR GUESTS

So now you have this great big lot, but you need guests don't you? After saving, go into Town Mode, and move your guests into ANY HOUSE BUT YOUR HOTEL!!!! (If you don't have any overstuffed house mods, you shouldn't be able to.) Either using testingcheats and Shift+Click on your mailbox and making your sim know every person in town and inviting your guests over, or going over there personally to invite everyone over, your guests should be at your hotel. Bring them inside and hurry and lock the doors! (if you've already locked the doors and don't want to bother unlocking them and calling everyone inside, use moveobjects on to put everyone in their assigned rooms). If you have trouble remembering your guest's assigned rooms, you can color code them (i.e. your guest's room is brown and your guest is wearing brown clothes) or take a picture of them with your cell phone and hang it on the wall next to the room door or in the room.

Well now you have your NPC guests!

THE SCHEDULE

I've carefully planned out a schedule for each day. Feel free to adjust it to your tastes but be sure to stick with the basics.
7:00 A.M.: Owner wakes up, all guests should still be sleeping. Owner goes to the kitchen and prepares breakfast. Once breakfast is done, the owner should (using their inventory) place the food on the guests' tables in their room so when they wake up they're ready to eat. All guest rooms should still be locked. Remember to prepare food for all employees, too!
8:30 A.M.: With any luck all guests should be done eating. Unlock their doors and allow them to wander. Clean up their dishes and take care of any laundry that may need washing. Make their beds, clean their rooms, etc. Once the hotel has been tidied up, your owner may do whatever they please until lunch.
12:30 P.M.: Owner stops what they're doing & starts to prepare lunch. Owner places food in the guests' rooms. Guests should be locked in their rooms again and let out when they're done eating. All employees should eat too. Owner cleans up anything that may need cleaning.
6:00 P.M.: Owner stops what they're doing once again and begins to make dinner. You should know the schedule for food by now. Once they're done eating let them out and clean up whatever needs to be cleaned.
9:30 P.M.: Everyone, including guests and employees, stop what they're doing and return to their rooms (which are then locked), and go to bed. Owner and employees if any should clean up before calling it a day.

NOTES

~Payday is every Sunday and Thursday. On these days, use the kaching cheat to add 1,000 simoleans to your funds.
~Once you have 20,000 funds you may go to CAS and create an employee. The employee should have traits depending on their job (for example, Natural Cook if a chef and Neat if a maid). For every 10,000 funds earned you may add a new employee (exception is if your sim has made a mummy, ghost or a simbot and you decide to keep them as employees) until your 8 spots are full.
~Paranormal creatures as the owner are allowed, but be aware that if you're a mummy, it will take you a while to clean up everything. Also, if you're a simbot, remember that they eat scrap and you'll have to collect it or blow up some hotel items for scrap. If you're a vampire, remember that it will be slightly more expensive as you'll either have to grow plasma fruit or buy plasma juice (of course, you can drink from the guests and other sims)
~Replacing guests. As far as this goes, if a guest dies or you let them out either accidentally or purposely, and don't want them back, you'll have the option to replace him/her. You must stick to the guest CAS rules (Slob as a trait). It would be best to use moveobjects to move them into the hotel once on your lot so you don't have to take the chance of unlocking your door and letting the other guests loose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Well that's it, my fingers hurt from a few hours of typing but it was well worth it. If you need any clarification or have feedback at all, let me know as I have not yet tested this challenge and am curious to see how it works out.

How come Mario can smash through bricks, but he dies when he touches a freaking turtle..?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 22nd Dec 2011 at 4:37 AM
This seems pretty neat, I do have a question though. Don't NPCs teleport out or disappear from the hotel once they want to leave? Either I remember that happening in TS2 or it happens in the TS3 too.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Dec 2011 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dedreav0531
This seems pretty neat, I do have a question though. Don't NPCs teleport out or disappear from the hotel once they want to leave? Either I remember that happening in TS2 or it happens in the TS3 too.

From my experience of locking NPCs in my sim's basement until they starve to death (lol), they cannot exit the lot unless there's a way out. I'm pretty sure it happened in TS2 which is why you remember it.

How come Mario can smash through bricks, but he dies when he touches a freaking turtle..?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 2:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ChappyTamTam
From my experience of locking NPCs in my sim's basement until they starve to death (lol), they cannot exit the lot unless there's a way out. I'm pretty sure it happened in TS2 which is why you remember it.

mkay, I haven't locked any NPCs in my basement in TS3...yet(lol, just need a good reason for it)
Test Subject
#5 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 7:00 AM
Sounds AWESOME, i'm happy to test it!

HoNk HoNk MiRiCaLs :o)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 4:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joot27
Sounds AWESOME, i'm happy to test it!

Thanks, let me know how it goes

I'll finally be able to test it when I get my simming computer back. Can't wait!

Test Subject
#7 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 6:25 PM
I Will Test It!!!
Looks Awesome! Will Keep Me Amused On Christmas Eve !Starting It Now!! On This!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Dec 2011 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simalings
Looks Awesome! Will Keep Me Amused On Christmas Eve !Starting It Now!! On This!

Thanks, let me know how it goes for you~!

Test Subject
#9 Old 24th Dec 2011 at 1:52 AM
After a few hours of playing, I found it quite easy. Though, I would like to say people would get bored of it after a bit. I enjoyed it though!

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Dec 2011 at 3:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joot27
After a few hours of playing, I found it quite easy. Though, I would like to say people would get bored of it after a bit. I enjoyed it though!

Thanks for testing! Were there any problems with the NPC guests, schedule, etc?

Test Subject
#11 Old 25th Dec 2011 at 12:37 PM
I'll test it as well. It looks fun!
Test Subject
#12 Old 26th Dec 2011 at 3:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ChappyTamTam
Thanks for testing! Were there any problems with the NPC guests, schedule, etc?

I wasn't realy happy with the set scedule, so I changed it to fit me. Nothing went wrong for me, I flew through quite quickly.

No problem for testing

Test Subject
#13 Old 27th Dec 2011 at 8:26 PM
I;m going to give this a try. it looks fun.
Test Subject
#14 Old 27th Dec 2011 at 9:50 PM
hmm.. im having difficulties because the guest want to go to work... its a bit irritating.
Test Subject
#15 Old 29th Dec 2011 at 4:06 AM
I wanted to have a toddler as a guest... But you can't have them come over into your house.
Test Subject
#16 Old 29th Dec 2011 at 4:30 AM
Also they won't sleep in beds as they want to leave!
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 30th Dec 2011 at 8:42 PM
Great Idea, I'm gonna try it as soon as I finish my other challenge!

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 31st Dec 2011 at 6:10 PM
I can't wait to see pictures.. This will be interesting! ((:
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Feb 2012 at 3:39 AM
Hey so I finally got my computer back! Starting up Sims right now so I can do it.

Test Subject
#20 Old 2nd Feb 2013 at 3:44 PM
B-but I only have the Sims 3 base game and I just got Supernatural on Thursday
#21 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 11:21 PM
I really like the set up for this challenge! This will be my first shot at one and it seems perfect for me - it sound fun and not TOO difficult. I might add onto the challenge by trying to reach LTWs for all of the guests or something along those lines, so it has a bit more of an end goal besides just keeping them alive, haha.

My only question is how you get your guests to go back to their rooms for food/locking them in if they're NPCs? Or rather than locking them in for meals, what if there was a restaurant/cafeteria sort of area where the manager could use "Call To Meal: Everyone"? Or would that make things too easy somehow? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I'm still kind of a noob.
Test Subject
#22 Old 15th Feb 2013 at 4:03 AM
Starting now :D
Test Subject
#23 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 4:03 AM
Even if the strict gameplay isn't entertaining for too long (dunno yet, I haven't started) the sheer fun of building a hotel is worth the challenge.
Test Subject
#24 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 3:57 AM
All try it
Test Subject
#25 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 6:14 AM
I use Overwatch and such, and even though I haven't started the challenge yet, I am pretty sure overwatch is going to catch my Pris-Guests 'cause they don't know what to do, they want to go home, ect. Any tips/helpfull comments that can help this?

Insanity:
Doing multiple things the same way and expecting different results.
Isn't that cleaning?

Hey I just met you
And this is crazy
But i'm hungry
And your a birdie