Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#151 Old 11th Jul 2011 at 3:31 AM
Looks like it's the other way round - plugin is 32-bit and program is 64-bit. Do you have a GIMP directory in Program Files (x86) which you could install to?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#152 Old 11th Jul 2011 at 5:27 AM
I had a GIMP directory in my program files, although I'm not sure what you mean by the (x86). At the moment I'm very tired and incredibly frustrated. I've been reading everything I can find on the issue and trying to locate and download a clean 32 bit version of GIMP. I've tried walking away from this project several times today and can't get it off my mind. This started off as a nice tool to make custom tattoos for my sims, but now I'm more interested in learning how to use this program to make tattoos more then actually having them for use. I'm treating the problem as a plug-in conflict atm, hopefully I can resolve it sometime tonight. Any and all help is appreciated and hopefully this will save someone else the hassle.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#153 Old 11th Jul 2011 at 1:02 PM Last edited by CmarNYC : 11th Jul 2011 at 1:21 PM.
If your computer is 64-bit you'll have a "Program Files (x86)" folder for your 32-bit programs, along with the "Program Files" folder for your 64-bit programs. If you're 32-bit you'll only have the Program Files folder. Sounds like you're 32-bit, and all the versions I've seen of GIMP seem to be 32-bit although there must be a 64-bit version.

You may have downloaded a 64-bit GIMP plugin that's linked in a comment to the plugin page you linked. If so, try the 32-bit instead: http://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/downloads/list Download the zip file and install.
Test Subject
#154 Old 11th Jul 2011 at 5:10 PM Last edited by sandman16 : 11th Jul 2011 at 11:11 PM.
Thank you Cmar. I'm on a 32 bit system hence the no (x86). I uninstalled GIMP, Defrag'd and CleanDisk'd then re-installed GIMP from-

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gim...-1.exe/download

-which I linked too from main gimp.org/downloads page. For some reason my plugin folder now has a dds.exe EXT C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins. I tried to save as .dds from .png but get no .dds option in the drop down menu SHIFT+CTRL+S or from File extension. I tried to convert .png to .xcf but still don not get the .dds prompt from SaveAs Menu. At this point I'm too tired to think effectively and I'm just playing around with the program trying to increase my proficiency with it. I hope at some point to resolve it and thank you for you patience and amazing dedication to the community.

Edit: I've uninstalled/ reinstalled several times today, everytime I defrag and disk clean after uninstall and redownload, restart after every reinstall. I've uninstalled from control panel and from product utility and in both cases I have the .dds.exe I downloaded from your link this morning. I might clean my registry next go around. Either way I always delete and reinstall the .dds.exe anyway.
Lab Assistant
#155 Old 12th Jul 2011 at 12:22 AM
I can not get gimp to work on my pc..I am using windows 7 64 bit. I don't know what version i need or where to find it..so i was trying to use photoshop but everything i made had a black box around it..is thre any way i can just use photoshop? if so any good tutorial on it? and if not can someone help me fgure out how to get giimp to work on my pc?
Lab Assistant
#156 Old 12th Jul 2011 at 1:40 AM
ok i got it, but i am wishing this was an updated tutorial on the new gimp
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#157 Old 12th Jul 2011 at 1:47 AM
What version of GIMP are you using? I updated recently to 2.6 and it's the same as in the tutorial.

Here's a Photoshop tutorial: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=416064
Lab Assistant
#158 Old 12th Jul 2011 at 1:52 AM
the problem i am having is using an actual photo
Lab Assistant
#159 Old 12th Jul 2011 at 1:54 AM
well i have gimp working now so im not going to use ps. but i am trying to take an actual photo. and make it so that i can use it for a tattoo for my game.
Lab Assistant
#160 Old 12th Jul 2011 at 1:59 AM
like lets say i am using this in gimp, it is already transparent.

http://i52.tinypic.com/20740pk.jpg
Test Subject
#161 Old 12th Jul 2011 at 9:25 AM
2.6.11. Did another uninstall, defrag, disk clean, then cleaned its temp.files from my C:\Users\toshiba\AppData\Local\Temp folder. .dds wasn't preload and my tools reset to default, but still unable to convert and save in .dds, the option still doesn't even appear from SaveAs directive. I'm stumped.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#162 Old 12th Jul 2011 at 2:11 PM
@ninjette: With that photo you should convert the purple to red and color the transparent background black, and save to .dds. BTW, it's frowned on in this community to do double or triple posts in a row like you have been. If there's been no later posts you should just edit your post.

@sandman16: I'm stumped too. Let me see if anything occurs to me.
Lab Assistant
#163 Old 12th Jul 2011 at 5:29 PM Last edited by ninjette : 13th Jul 2011 at 12:34 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
@ninjette: With that photo you should convert the purple to red and color the transparent background black, and save to .dds. BTW, it's frowned on in this community to do double or triple posts in a row like you have been. If there's been no later posts you should just edit your post.

@sandman16: I'm stumped too. Let me see if anything occurs to me.

do i change it with gimp or tattoinator?
and is it necessary? like green and purple is the actual color of my tattoo.

I also have 14 other tattoos id like to add

colors consist of, light blue, orange, red, gold, black, pinks, greens. should all those be changed to red or what?
thanks for the reply and sorry for double posting.

I tried and in tattoointor when i say "preview image" it says

this image has no alpha channel and will make a completely black tattoo. just saying
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#164 Old 14th Jul 2011 at 12:58 AM
1. To get a decent looking tattoo you need to change the colors. The colors in your image are the recolor areas, not the actual colors that will be displayed in the game. Use red, green, and blue; then use the presets to set the red to display purple, etc. Read the tutorial again - it covers this.

2. Your image needs to have an alpha channel. If you don't know how to create one, try the Convert function.
Lab Assistant
#165 Old 16th Jul 2011 at 4:02 AM
ok everything works except im on a PC with windows vista 64 bit and i cant freakin install the dds. plug-in...i have the tattoo saved as a xcf. gimp file right now and if i cant get the plug-in to install i need to convert the xcf. to a dds.

HELP ME PLEAZ!!!!

i love MTS :)

Moogloo88

The Sims 1 <3 this brings back memories: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNiz...feature=related
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#166 Old 16th Jul 2011 at 1:40 PM
Could you be more specific than "I can't install the dds"? Did you download the 32-bit dds or the 64-bit? Is your GIMP 32-bit or 64-bit? Did you put the dds.exe in the correct folder? Does dds export show up and not work or does it not show up at all?
Test Subject
#167 Old 22nd Jul 2011 at 3:11 AM
Absolutely awesome program and tutorial. Thanks for all the help CMar I got a handle on it
Test Subject
#168 Old 26th Jul 2011 at 10:36 PM Last edited by readingisnovel18 : 27th Jul 2011 at 8:28 PM.
HI there. I found the program very easy to work with and made two tattoos and put their package files in the right place and everything.

Problem is, nothing showed up in game when my sim went to get a tattoo. Am I doing something wrong?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#169 Old 28th Jul 2011 at 4:48 PM
Thanks!

Where did you put the package files? Do you have other custom content working?

If your setup is okay and other CC shows up, could you upload one of your tattoos so I can take a look?
Test Subject
#170 Old 1st Aug 2011 at 9:26 PM
Am i the only idiot that doesnt know where to save the package files...?
Please help me OH Guru of Tattoo Wisdom
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#171 Old 2nd Aug 2011 at 12:33 PM
LOL! Here's a link to the site instructions on installing package files for your game: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...g_Package_Files
Test Subject
#172 Old 8th Nov 2011 at 5:34 PM
I'm a bit late to the party but I can't seem to make the dds plug in for GIMP work.
I've uninstalled, reinstalled, moved the location where the app was, where the dds.exe was
I even tried older versions of GIMP and my sister's vista laptop (mines windows 7).
Apparently paint.net has a built in dds thingymajig, but when I tried to save the image as .dds it just didn't have the option

Are there any online file converters that work? Or any other suggestions

I just really want an N7 tattoo for my sims an upside down one (for on the wrist) and a right way up one!

Thanks for any help in advance
Screenshots
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#173 Old 8th Nov 2011 at 11:35 PM
Let's take one more stab at getting the dds plug-in for GIMP working. You're on Windows 7 - is it 32-bit or 64-bit? Either way, if you're using 32-bit GIMP you need the 32-bit dds plugin. There's supposed to be a 64-bit GIMP but I've been unable to find it. And the download for the plugin is confusing - easy for people to mistakenly download a 64-bit version from a comment in the thread. You can tell that's what happened to me, right? :D

Anywhoo, try this plugin: http://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/d...win32-2.0.9.zip

dds.exe goes in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins" folder if you're running 64-bit. If you're 32-bit it's "C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins" and there will be no Program Files (x86) folder on your C: drive.

OTOH, if you're running 64-bit GIMP on a 64-bit computer (both a "Program Files" and a "Program Files (x86)" folder, and GIMP is installed in "Program Files"), you need the 64-bit plugin: http://www.aljacom.com/~gimp/gimp-dds-2.0.9-64bits.zip

If the plugin is working correctly, you should be able to save an image as DDS by giving it a name ending in ".dds".
Test Subject
#174 Old 9th Nov 2011 at 12:36 PM
Oh yay! Thank you! Your instructions actually made sense and worked!
Thank you again
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#175 Old 9th Nov 2011 at 1:42 PM
I'm very glad it worked, happy to help!
Page 7 of 10