Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Dec 2021 at 6:58 PM Last edited by whirledonfire : 15th Dec 2021 at 7:44 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Moving files to new 64 bit folder
I can't seem to find much info about this online. I updated to OS Monterey, and Sims 3 was no longer compatible. I found some resources that mentioned the new 64 bit version that came out maybe last year? So I'm in the process of downloading the 64 bit versions of the game and all my expansion packs. Base game is installed, and I successfully opened the launcher! So it seems like I should be able to play my game! Looks like it created a brand new "The Sims 3" folder in my "Electronic Arts" folder though. Is it safe to move over all my old files from the old "The Sims 3" folder? saves, downloads, installed worlds, CC etc. Are they compatible with this new version?

Edit: Also wondering if there's a launcher.exe file in the 64 bit version? I found this awesome alternative launcher with a search feature that I'd love to try out. I know where to go to replace the files in the old 32 bit version, but the new version doesn't seem to even be in my applications folder. Can only find it in the launchpad.

Full disclosure, I have no idea what the difference between the 32 bit and 64 bit are other than one will work with my OS and one won't.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Dec 2021 at 12:29 AM
Copying files over: If you mean the TS3 user folder that contains added content, mods, game saves, etc. then yes. I lost nothing when I installed the 64-bit Mac version for testing and copied an older game folder into place, although I did need to take the time to re-download and re-install all of my TS3 Store Content.

Customized Launcher: I don't think that's going to work. The older 32-bit Mac version of the game was really the Win XP version with a Cider overwrap to make it run like a native Mac application would (slight simplification there). Thus somewhere inside all of those wrappings were many of the game assets like the Launcher.exe and they were pretty easily revealed and changed. The 64-bit version, which is the only one that will run on your macOS as you have noted, does not use Cider. I'm pretty sure they made this version macOS native instead. But to confirm, you may want to post on the TS3 for Mac tech board on EA's AHQ forum. That's where players and helpers are getting the latest and greatest info, such as it is, on this version of the game.

What's the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit? 64-bit apps do not have a built-in 2 GB nor a 4 GB RAM usage restriction. The older 32-bit Mac version could never use more than 2 GB of RAM without crashing or hitting an Error 12. The new version, despite its other flaws and there are quite a few, has no such restriction. The newer versions of the macOS, beginning with Catalina and going forward, will no longer run 32-bit apps like Windows still can.