Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Apr 2022 at 5:39 AM Last edited by ebflover777 : 8th Apr 2022 at 8:09 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Tokyosou causing extreme lag (and rare crashing)
I know that on Windows, Sims 3 is extremely limited compared to Mac, and I find it unfair that worlds that run smoothly on Mac are horrifically laggy, if not impossible to load on Windows, no matter how old or modern your system.
To which I present to you, Tokyosou.
Tokyosou is a Japanese-themed world with extensive detail, several lots, almost all vacant, everything crafted extensively and tirelessly. This presents a problem for Windows users because as far as I know, we have no way to play a world that uses more than 2GB of ram, especially since Sims 3 is 32bit on Windows systems.
Is there a 64-bit patch somewhere for people who legally own the game, as the patches for Sims 1 on Windows10? Is there a rundown on how to make it stop crashing, even if it doesn't solve the lag? Do I have to remove nraas Story Progression or find a mod to prevent vacant houses from populating? I'll do just about anything but pay money to get this world to work, I don't have $1k for a new computer at the moment, and my Windows laptop is extremely in-depth and runs everything else smoothly.
I use AMD's Ryzen 5 and Radeon Vega graphics cards and have 16GB of ram.
For things that I have tried, I may as well list them:
-Windowed mode
-Turning every graphics setting to the lowest possible setting
-Disabling all unnecessary stuff packs
-Lowering the game memory limit to 3.5GB. Crashes are far less common, but the lag still makes it borderline unplayable at times.
-Making the memory limit larger
-Loading from 3Booter
-Loading from TS3W
-Loading from the launcher
-Loading from LD's Sims3Launcher, Which does not work with DIGITAL Origin installs of TS3, as I discovered even the Origin-Based package doesn't help

かんぱい!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Apr 2022 at 8:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
You should probably post at the Tokyosou creator's page since this is related to that custom world.

Um... I have no idea where you are getting your information from, but that is actually backwards. It runs smooth on PC, runs like crap on Mac. (Actually, this was before the 64-bit Mac upgrade, so maybe it does run smoother now on mac)

You trolling?

The world does look magnificent. That being said, from this detail and also the screenshot I've seen, this world is not meant to be played. The creator, like many, has an ambition that is grander than what this 32 bit engine could handle, even at 4GB, yes FOUR GB limit. But even so, I doubt on a 64-bit Mac, it would run any smoother. The issue at this point is beyond simply RAM requirement, but this world is just way too big to run a successful simulation.

There were a couple of other worlds I've seen like that, one was the Paris world and another was a full New York world, both of which is impressive in the amount of time and detail put into it and you can even run those worlds from the beginning, but it is not meant to be played in b/c once your sims starts to evolve, the game will just crash and error 12. Not only is the world huge, many lots, but huge lots, with a lot of details, and a lot of skyscrapers. This is just not meant to be played. The worst one I saw as the London world.

That is why a great appreciation for Boroughsburg, the author of that world understands the game limitations and thus chose a "medium" size world. Though 73 lots, the lots are all very small. Even so, I had to modify several of them to remove redundant decos to make it run smoother for a legacy player like me. Looking at this Tokyo world, those skyscrapers... I redid Riverview downtown into a high-rise downtown, only a handful of skyscrapers and it destroyed the game.

The only thing I can suggest to you is playing it at limited 1 high-res lot. But like I've said, once the population starts to bloat and sims evolve, you're going to run into a lot of problems. In the New York world, I had to delete over 1/2 the world deco that creator put in, then modify all the lots to delete as much unnecessary deco as possible. Even so, I played it only as a vacation world but after only 1-2 generations it is crash city or just error 12.

No, not trolling, just stupid apparently lol
I didn't sleep much, but this actually explains a lot! I painstakingly saved every lot beforehand, just in case it was moreso display only, so I can put my favorites into a smaller world, like Mayumachi. I guess I saw the 64-byte update, and used my knowledge on other 32-byte games to base it on. Thank you so much!

かんぱい!
Instructor
#5 Old 9th Apr 2022 at 12:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ebflover777
-Loading from LD's Sims3Launcher, Which does not work with DIGITAL Origin installs of TS3, as I discovered even the Origin-Based package doesn't help

I find this odd as I am on Origin 1.69 and have no problem loading the Smooth Patch, I did have to make my antivirus accept it as not a virus and stop quarantining it though. It has helped alot and I am running on a laptop atm also (MSI gaming laptop, mid range). I don't really get any error 12's on it but the game does on occasion crash (I really should probably not have quite as much CC as I do, although I had a lot more on my last desktop) but it is sadly still 32 bit and while I know there was one ambitious person a while back who started on a 64 bit mod they didn't get far and kind of disappeared. I don't think we will be seeing one for the PC side. And I am not holding out a huge amount of hope that EA will get SIms5 right as they clearly don't listen to the long term fan base of the game.

The sakura trees are beautiful in that world but that is alot.....but I really love sakura trees. May have to download and see if I can clean it up enough to play because I do want some nice asian worlds, even if I do just use them as vacation worlds.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Apr 2022 at 7:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mandelyn
I find this odd as I am on Origin 1.69 and have no problem loading the Smooth Patch, I did have to make my antivirus accept it as not a virus and stop quarantining it though. It has helped alot and I am running on a laptop atm also (MSI gaming laptop, mid range). I don't really get any error 12's on it but the game does on occasion crash (I really should probably not have quite as much CC as I do, although I had a lot more on my last desktop) but it is sadly still 32 bit and while I know there was one ambitious person a while back who started on a 64 bit mod they didn't get far and kind of disappeared. I don't think we will be seeing one for the PC side. And I am not holding out a huge amount of hope that EA will get SIms5 right as they clearly don't listen to the long term fan base of the game.

The sakura trees are beautiful in that world but that is alot.....but I really love sakura trees. May have to download and see if I can clean it up enough to play because I do want some nice asian worlds, even if I do just use them as vacation worlds.

Really? LD tells me I need to install Origin, like so. Note that I've got it opened in this screenshot.

But yes, I'd love to have an edited version since it actually makes my computer borderline die. I, sadly, don't know how to edit it much at all

かんぱい!
Instructor
#7 Old 9th Apr 2022 at 7:13 PM
If you have it downloaded from Origin then you should already have origin installed as it doesn't open without it Origin installed sadly. You may need to uninstall and reinstall origin? Or repair the game maybe?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Apr 2022 at 5:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mandelyn
If you have it downloaded from Origin then you should already have origin installed as it doesn't open without it Origin installed sadly. You may need to uninstall and reinstall origin? Or repair the game maybe?

I tried it, but it didn't work sadly. My internet was out all day so I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner!

かんぱい!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 2nd May 2022 at 2:00 AM Last edited by SakuraPhoenix : 2nd May 2022 at 2:11 AM.
Heya, sorry just now seeing this, I am the creator of that world ^_^; There were three major issues causing lag that I found and fixed with a new update. One of which was that the festival lot had like, hundreds of hidden spawners that had bleed through from a previous version of the lot (fixed that), flushed npc inventories, and deleted a few things off each lot. So if you'd like to see if the newer update runs better please check and let me know.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...orld-updated/p1

Edit:Nvm ebflover I think you're the same person on the other forums lol

As for long term play, tbh I have only play tested one family for a full term so it probably is true you can't play long. I suppose I could always do a lite version someday or put an empty world for others to do as they will in the future when I get more time to delete/edit it down. Maybe even a population free one at the very least. I tend to play more story oriented or for pics so my playstyle isn't quite the norm.