Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 26th Jan 2023 at 2:23 AM
As we have strayed a lot........... I have a friend and it irritated me for years that she did not look at me when I was talking to her. I read much later that some of us are more visual perceptive and others more oral. I am visual. She actually is paying attention to me more when not looking at me as not being distracted by what she sees, and is carefully listening to me. Once I understood that it made a world of difference. Once we know more of what is going on it makes things far easier.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#28 Old 26th Jan 2023 at 3:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Yes, if you ever have coffee with me, you'll realize my eyes are always wandering around, observing my surroundings. But yes, I am listening and quite intently. I do know people think I am not listening, so every now and then I would look at them in the eyes to let them know I am listening.

I would go ahead and tell them that that is how you pay attention to them best. Once they understand, it will make a difference. People make assumptions, and sometimes we just need to tell them things, rather than having them guessing, and often be wrong.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 26th Jan 2023 at 6:44 AM
She asked me if the dress made her look fat
Women love begging for compliments and this is one of the weird ways they do it. Still haven't figured out why they do that. At least in the sims it's a simple positive interaction with no hidden motifs.

If I lived on Mars, I would be pleased because the Earth is not my cup of tea
Mad Poster
#30 Old 26th Jan 2023 at 6:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
Women love begging for compliments and this is one of the weird ways they do it. Still haven't figured out why they do that. At least in the sims it's a simple positive interaction with no hidden motifs.

They are looking for reassurance that it does not, even though it may, which is why they ask, and then all you can do is lie, lie, lie, white lies. LOL!
Field Researcher
#32 Old 26th Jan 2023 at 2:06 PM
The 'does this dress make me look fat' question reminds me of this lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_TQsSklm_A

If I lived on Mars, I would be pleased because the Earth is not my cup of tea
Mad Poster
#33 Old 27th Jan 2023 at 4:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
I understand the gist of OP's point, but I also agree that if a person is going to use a video game as a form of understanding people and how people interact with each other in the world, what is being shown in a video game ( and many other forms of media) needs to be taken with a truckload of salt.

Many truckloads. Totally agree. This game was originally created as a design tool when Will's house burned as I recall. Then the Sims were made to fill the dollhouse as it first was potentially to be called. It was never designed to be an accurate representation of real life.

LOL funny video but some truth there. Generally it is a no win to not just say you look great! ... right away!
Scholar
#34 Old 27th Jan 2023 at 12:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
Ahh... But isn't "weird" behavior exactly the kind of thing that DOES happen in real life? So many human mental "defects" and illnesses, and psychoses? Attention: No hate... just making a point!!! That said, some Autistic traits are not considered generally "normal".

And many people hold back from overt reaction, and have an "internal dialogue" or thought bubble, as response to things. Just that you get to see it with your Sims. )))

The sims is not nuanced enough to display mental differences. Their reactions are over the top in a cartoonish way. Which could be useful to learn basic actions and consequenses from, but because the game is so complex, they fail too often.

Like for example, when a sim cheats on their partner and you suddenly see their partner cheering when they are in the same room where it happens. This is obviously not because the partner is happy for them cheating, but because the game failed to show the expected reaction and instead shows some reaction for something else.
Or when a sim hands over their dirty laundry to a different sim as a gift and they are happy with it. This is not some sarcastic happy reaction from the sim, but an unintended reaction because the game is just coded so you can give most inventory items away as gift.

Anyway, these are just examples that show that the sims is not really useful to learn about actions and consequenses like the OP mentioned. On that front, too much goes wrong, unintended or not.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#35 Old 27th Jan 2023 at 2:26 PM
This thread has taken a hilarious turn
Forum Resident
#36 Old 28th Jan 2023 at 1:29 AM
TS3 As Medically-Necessary Software?
hi:

I'm curious as to the community's thoughts on my medical team's designation of The Sims 3 (including EP/SP, CC, and Mods, etc.) as "medically-necessary software"... that's right, my medical team has determined TS3 as medically necessary. Their reason was as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Team
The Sims 3 (TS3) is an open-world life simulation game made by Mixis and published by Electronic Arts (EA). TS3 is an open-world life simulation that allows the end user to control the lives of virtual characters (called "Sims") down to the action level. The open nature of the game allows the end-user to simulate real-world situations thus acting as a "non-destructive interaction modeling engine" as to say that the end user can model real-world actions, interactions, and preview consequences without effecting the real world. This capability to model the real world is especially useful for certain individuals to allow for better decision making

What do you think: has my medical team put too much expectations on the software or would you call that an accurate assessment of the situation?

=======

So it seems in TS3 a player can simulate a lot of real world scenarios within a virtual setting without the consequence(s) of real world decisions. Key words: So it seems. For humans everything begins in the mind and when consistently brought forth in the mind, it may cause some humans to actually commit whatever fantasy they play out in a virtual sense and bring it to reality. Though this isn't just in TS3 case, it can be any video game where someone could want to enact their fantasy from a video game and bring it to fruition in the real world. (Of course video games don't even have to be a part of the equation either. The mind is very powerful and when humans don't manage it, problems will always arise.) Now that's not necessary a bad thing depending what it is, such as: Having a Sim be a successful, hard working self-employed artist and getting inspired to make that happen for oneself. However, as there are two sides to a coin so is there a negative side. I won't go too deep into that and I'll just allow people to have their own imagination of whatever they think that is to them.

I don't think TS3 or any video game should be medically necessary software to understand decision-making and consequences because it is common sense. Though some lack it and that is their choice. I won't go any further into what I really think as my authentic self is not allowed to be expressed. Not my loss though. So I'll just leave it at that.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
Mad Poster
#37 Old 28th Jan 2023 at 4:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
I don't think TS3 or any video game should be medically necessary software to understand decision-making and consequences because it is common sense.

That is what I said earlier, that most in life involves just plain common sense.

I wish this had been done as a poll somehow, as it seems that most of us lean on the side of Sims can help only a very small degree in the situation posed by the original poster. It can be of help for other things though, which is good, and a fun way to help some where it is of use.
Mad Poster
#39 Old 28th Jan 2023 at 5:38 AM
This thread... these people... and some of these responses.

...What?

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#41 Old 28th Jan 2023 at 6:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aspersim
Sorry to be of a bother but what do you mean by "medically necessary" ...

This poster asked a very specific question, if Sims would be a medical/therapy/whatever must for his/her decision making issue? And most of us are saying not really for this specific situation.

As said in other posts Sims could help at times, but probably not much here.
Forum Resident
#42 Old 11th Feb 2023 at 1:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
As we have strayed a lot........... I have a friend and it irritated me for years that she did not look at me when I was talking to her. I read much later that some of us are more visual perceptive and others more oral. I am visual. She actually is paying attention to me more when not looking at me as not being distracted by what she sees, and is carefully listening to me. Once I understood that it made a world of difference. Once we know more of what is going on it makes things far easier.

When I weren't under medication (I only under a simple antidepressant), I could not see people straight into the eyes . I felt as if an invisible metallic bar was put on my eyes. I couldn't speak about that discomfort , I was afraid nobody believes me.
I paid attention by the way too. This is not because we cannot see somebody in the eyes we don't care of you.

----

Now let's talk about the Sims. I also read that some therapists used the game as experience for trying to help Teenagers to see how they see themselves and Therapists tried to decrypt any dysphorias, self esteem troubles etc, only using CAS. (with or without CC that is the question... how to make a simself without CC ? not possible to me except on ts4) I don't know if they got into the gameplay.
But I don't think it was a great success, none of the Psychologists I met does this...and with me, that's not necessary, I got a simself in every sims game I play. And if I met somebody who does this I'll show the pictures of my gameplay and I'll speak of my story behind the scene for an hour ahahah. I have a ton of stuffs to say about Miss V Detective ahaha. :giggler
BTW therapists are patient with me...

I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.
Forum Resident
#43 Old 19th Feb 2023 at 5:48 PM
I guess that as a "necessity", I cannot see it. As possibly useful in some way... ??? I'm sure if execs at EA could find a way to make $$$$, they would say YES! (Medical version, $35K, and if your insurance does not cover it, EA will find an obscure government program that does.) Then, of course the mad rush by pharma to come up with some drug to help (dope you up into a zombie).

My Sims pychosis (aka Simscosis) is that I sometimes enjoy killing everyone! Can't do that in reality, or can you? Hmmmm????? I have gone on shooting sprees, used the heck out of Dexter the Bear, several other mods that allow "termination" by various means, as well as my demon girls (basically use vamipre mods) wiping out several worlds, and of course my Harley Quinn! I call it, "stress relief"!

Wonder what the shrinks would say about that???
Forum Resident
#44 Old 20th Feb 2023 at 5:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
I guess that as a "necessity", I cannot see it. As possibly useful in some way... ??? I'm sure if execs at EA could find a way to make $$$$, they would say YES! (Medical version, $35K, and if your insurance does not cover it, EA will find an obscure government program that does.) Then, of course the mad rush by pharma to come up with some drug to help (dope you up into a zombie).

My Sims pychosis (aka Simscosis) is that I sometimes enjoy killing everyone! Can't do that in reality, or can you? Hmmmm????? I have gone on shooting sprees, used the heck out of Dexter the Bear, several other mods that allow "termination" by various means, as well as my demon girls (basically use vamipre mods) wiping out several worlds, and of course my Harley Quinn! I call it, "stress relief"!

Wonder what the shrinks would say about that???

Especially in the US , that everything medical is excessively expensive , EA will become quite rich . , a compensatory money for the compagny , that a lot of simmers from the underground never paid them.

Honestely I talked to my temporary new psychologist at hospital and she told me if you have still got a critical mind , you won't be in a closed psychiatric hospital .
I say closed because some are only open on day and they are quite different . (I know I am currently hospitalized in a day mental institution)

I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.
Mad Poster
#45 Old 21st Feb 2023 at 5:53 AM
We do not even have mental institutions now in most places in the US, and is one reason for many of the homeless on the streets. But will not get into that as too far off topic for Sims.
Forum Resident
#46 Old 21st Feb 2023 at 2:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
We do not even have mental institutions now in most places in the US, and is one reason for many of the homeless on the streets. But will not get into that as too far off topic for Sims.

I am not originally from US, but my husband is. He often says we need to look to movies for inspiration... "Escape From New York (and later LA)", when the cities were walled off and made prisons/ asylums being a good start.
Forum Resident
#47 Old 26th Feb 2023 at 3:53 PM
I work in mental health, and I would say no. We don't have evidence that TS3 actually improves mental health (making someone happier isn't the same as symptom or functional improvement).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#48 Old 1st Mar 2023 at 1:39 PM
hahaha kleptomaniacs from klepto means "steal." It is a condition in which a person has an urge to steal.

Inability to make eye contact is one of the most common symptoms of asperger/autism. Again, it can be written off simply as shyness, but honestly? I'm afraid to look at people's eyes b/c I feel like I am staring into their souls and... most times I do not like what I see. (edit: I should clarify this. People will assume it means I see evil. No, not at all. I see fear. A lot of fear in people.) However, this alone is not sufficient for a diagnosis. Other attributes such as OCD, fascination with hands, and of course one of the most prominent symptom is basically we are compelled to speak our mind, even if it comes off rude. In essence, we do not have tact and there's barely a barrier between the brain and the mouth. This is also tied in with OCD in compulsive desire to relay information often interesting to the subject, but not interesting to the people around them. Uh... like an asperger/autistic may go on and on about some topic without realizing the people around them are disinterested (sorta like what I'm doing now). This is why without properly understanding someone has this condition, they are often mocked and judged as simply rude and even arrogant.

When I was a young, like 8-9 yrs old, I was at a camp. While doing group dancing, I noticed our camp leader, a woman, was ... uh... well she was ugly. And I blurted it out to my sister next to me. I absolutely did not mean it to hurt anyone's feeling. Truth is, it never processed in my mind about that, I simply blurted what was on my mind. I didn't even realize that woman heard it. Later I saw her crying with other camp counselors comforting her, they later informed my parents who yelled at me for being such a rude mean spirited little kid. I have repeated issues like this through out, one time a lady at an event was standing on a chair to get something from a top shelf. She slipped and fell. I burst out laughing. Again, I wasn't being mean or rude. There is no process between what I saw, it was instant reaction. Again I got reprimanded by my parents.

This goes into college, I had a date with a girl to a formal dinner. She asked me if the dress made her look fat, I told her, "No, the dress does not make you look fat. It is the fat that makes you look fat." She slapped me, playfully, thinking I was deliberately being rude to rile her up. Whenever I tell this story, people always assume I am telling a joke. I am not. What I told her after was that if she was concerned about her weight and whether she looks fat, she should consider changing her diet or maybe hit the gym. Because by doing so will increase her metabolism and help her burn more fat and stay in shape. Then she would not be concerned about what clothes may or may not make her appear more fat.

I highly recommend the movie "The Night Clerk," the actor Tye Sheridan did a really good job portraying an asperger. When I was watching it, I was like, "Dude... that's ... me!" But I'm actually not that uh... serious, my condition is milder, which is worse b/c I come off more like a normal person so people automatically assume I'm rude and arrogant, or shy when I can't make eye contact.

As I've mentioned before, during college I studied a lot of sociology and psychology and studied humans through observation. From here, I actually "created" subroutines in my mind to emulate normal people in social context. So I would learn to smile, talk to people, learn to control my impulses, pretend to be interested in topics I am not interested in for the sake for socialization etc... I became normal, had friends, dates, and what not....

Then one day, I realized... all I am doing is becoming just like everyone else, pretentious. That's literally what I was doing. I was pretending to be someone else, for the sake of peer acceptance. I came to realize the women that were attracted to me were not the types I was attracted to. Why? Because they were not really attracted to me, they were attracted to the shallow shell I have created for myself and wore in front of people. The women that I was interested in, who were deep in thought and character? They would not date me. Why? They picked up right away I was pretentious and they thought of me as a player.

It was then I decided not to do this anymore or at least find a good balance. At times there need to be tact, and though difficult, suppress that OCD need to blurt out whatever is on my mind. Other times, there need to be blunt truth, even if it may offend or hurt people's feelings. But most times in social situations, I just remain quiet and observe. Speak when opportunity arises, other times learn to simply dismiss and walk away.

All:

Thanks for the replies. Reading some have brought me to tears, some laughs, others still new perspective. Some of my medical conditions include memory issues, severe-end autism, and few others that I won’t get into here. Just thought I’d respond saying I’ve not forgotten about this thread (welli did b/c memory condition but randomly remembered this forum even exists)

Stay safe everyone
Page 2 of 2