Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 7:15 PM
Default Petchy's Art studies
For my Art GCSE we were given the topic "A personal Study", this meant we could do anything related to us, or anything which is something we admire in our lives, from our childhood or what we aspire to do in later life.
Fun!
So.. I decided to do the Games of Maxis! (Hurrah!)
This project is unlike any one else's in our year as not only am I *making* the sims, I'm *Picture-Taking* them and also *Drawing/Painting/etc.* them. Its great fun, because I can use all my simming pictures for my Sketchbook, and its a subject I actually *know* about!

So yea, Here is my Art Thread..

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Advertisement
Theorist
Original Poster
#2 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 7:36 PM
This is a painting which was (Firstly, I apologize for the Lack of Photography-skillz, It was taken with my phone and next lesson I am *definitely* either scanning it or getting a better shot!) done from a Sim picture of "Jess Dethaka" which is a self-sim I did for a [very artsy] friend
I did edit the picture I used for the painting, but I also used the original for some detail.

This picture makes it look so pale and rubbish, sorry! I'll replace it soon!
:smash:

Original:

My Painting:

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Alchemist
#3 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 7:39 PM
Thats awesome Petchy! Such a brilliant project idea too :D
Field Researcher
#4 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 7:42 PM
*drools*

YOU ARE SO GOOD AT PAINTING.

Whee.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 7:42 PM
oh that looks awsome i love how you did the her top and her eyes are beautiful, better then the sim i think =]

you got some talent there Petchy keep up the good work! :3

Visit my Dreamwidth for my latested uploads!
~Babbelsim~
Forum Resident
#6 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 8:18 PM
Wow, Petchy, this is such a cool idea for your Art project - good luck with it! Out of curiousity, what did your teacher/peers make of your choice? :P
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 8:23 PM
Awesome painting Petch!

Previously known as 'simcharley1990'
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 8:32 PM
Awesome!

I got D in my IGCSEs because they don't like cartoon style and i was told that after I already sent my stuff
Theorist
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 9:05 PM
Kusti: thanks! I love your Human Body ones, they are so chilling and.. *thinks* Grunge-Biology-esque!

Abbey: LOL thanks, this took me forever though, and I was pressurized and pressurized to make it more detailed at every step

Babbelsim: THANKYOU! I love Art so much (and as I'm a "techhiewiz") I managed to finish my ECDL (Electronic Computer Driving license) in around a Term so I have an extra art lesson a week, VERY fun as I can just keep working!

Charley: THANKIES M'DARLIN!

Kyle: Yea, I'm doing a "Fine Art" course as well, So it includes all this painting and Artist study stuff, and I was advised also to not use cartoony styles in my drawings and Paint. Obviously, Detail takes a LOT of time to do, and unless your doing something like "street Graphic Art" (which someone in my class is doing) to a high level, you get a low mark. Its not really that fair I guess.

Gemmareno: My teacher doesn't really understand what It is yet! She briefly knows the game from parent-knowledge, but not like I do Its Great fun as I have loads of Media to work from, and knowledge of poses and such. Others in the class vaguely know the game, but just from a Playing perspective. Some asked weigher it was a PS2 character... (LMFAO) and others are just baffled by the images. (if you think about it, Most peoples' games and pictures are fuzzy and such, so Its understandable)
ETA: Oh yea, I also showed her the "Druck - SimSpam" post on my LJ and she was all like; "ooo, I like him, But.. wait.. isn't that a *think/pauses* er.. *Hovers finger over the skin marks*.. from..." "a Trill from Star Trek?" "Yea, Thats the one... how?" "I use lots of "Custom content" and I liked the look of the skin on others' pictures"

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Forum Resident
#10 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 9:22 PM
Lol yeah I can imagine how people won't realise it's the sims. With your graphics especially, and how CC completely changes the look... haha XD I bet now she'll go home and read your LJ and come back addicted to sims or something. Paint another one of yours and show it to her. She might go "OH it's so-and-so, amiright?!" XD

But yes, the perfect project for you! I'll check back and see what else you paint, definately.
Theorist
#11 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 9:23 PM
Petchy, that painting is beautiful! I can't wait to see more!

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Mad Poster
#12 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 9:25 PM
it is unfair

Also sucks that I was told that AFTER I sent all my portofilios and shiz

what the hell?!couldn't you have told me earlier?
Theorist
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 9:36 PM
Gemmareno: Oh I doubt it I don't think She saw much of the URL or anything, and It would take a smidge of time to guess my Under name! I am thinking about getting an archive of my Sim Pics on a USBMemoryStick and giving it to her to have a nosy through, as I am never quite sure what will be hard or easy for me to paint (obviously though, A lizard skinned Ceccil is going to be much harder than my smooth Indianesque Puli :D)
*shurggles*
I don't even "get" why half of the class are doing "Friendship" anyway, I mean, *come on*, your gonna complain all the way through that it doesn't look like you/her/him etc. and also you bitch about them behind your back! LOL
..and don't even get me STARTED on Pop-arting.. *shudders*

BewitchedPrue: Thankyou I may take a picture of my "Title Page" in my Sketch book; I am *very* proud of its randomness *grinz*

Kyle: Yes, That is unfair. I really feel sorry for you, because I know what you mean as I handed a page in on an artist who did mostly cartoony stuff and had it given back to me saying "This is really not what you should be doing, you can do it by all means, but you will get no marks for it". Deved. But at least I was told unlike you.. *hugs*

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Forum Resident
#14 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 9:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Petchy
Gemmareno: Oh I doubt it I don't think She saw much of the URL or anything, and It would take a smidge of time to guess my Under name! I am thinking about getting an archive of my Sim Pics on a USBMemoryStick and giving it to her to have a nosy through, as I am never quite sure what will be hard or easy for me to paint (obviously though, A lizard skinned Ceccil is going to be much harder than my smooth Indianesque Puli :D)
*shurggles*
I don't even "get" why half of the class are doing "Friendship" anyway, I mean, *come on*, your gonna complain all the way through that it doesn't look like you/her/him etc. and also you bitch about them behind your back! LOL
..and don't even get me STARTED on Pop-arting.. *shudders*

I was wondering if you'd be doing some of your more exotically skinned charries - I really hope you do! They will be a challenge but I think they'd come out fab.
Ugh. Please don't talk to me about Popart. I still haven't gotten over my textiles GCSE.

"What the hell is pop art, anyway?"
"Well, this is a good example..."
"No. That's a retro can of beans. -_- It is in no way similar to Marilyn or Coca Cola bottles."

*twitch*

Hehe, yeah much better to paint your own pretties, seeing as they can't offend you or say, "Jeez, you made my nose look too big!"
Theorist
Original Poster
#15 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 9:57 PM
Oh no, I really mean that some people are too worried about painting that they.. *wait for it*
EDIT THEIR PICTURES TO POP ART STYLE
*shockhorror*
What they do it take the picture (which they think is too hard for them to do) and then in PaintShopPro(8 IIRC) use a feature which simplifies the picture. Now, I normally have no problem with this, as it can make some nice results, but these are full A1 sized pieces of card, and they are quite litterally painting by Numbers.. without the numbers.. *girr*
It irks me to no end as they complain all the time! "Look! *add name of person here* is a totally different colour to me!" "Why yes, yes they are, its because the picture had shading in it and as it was a darker colour the median was lowered, making the colour a deeper red."

I'm *definitely* doing some aliens! Its not Petchy without the use of Alternative colored skins! If you think about it, Its just the same as normal "human" skins, just with a different set of Colors. For a Plantsim or Alien this could include; Green, Yellow, Red (smidge of Brown and Blue) and White instead of Red, Yellow, Blue, brown, Red and white.

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Field Researcher
#16 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 10:19 PM
Wonderful painting, Petchy!
Using alternative colored skintones is definitely a great idea, by the way It would make the paintings so much more unique.

Just Call Me Allie :)
Mad Poster
#17 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Petchy

Kyle: Yes, That is unfair. I really feel sorry for you, because I know what you mean as I handed a page in on an artist who did mostly cartoony stuff and had it given back to me saying "This is really not what you should be doing, you can do it by all means, but you will get no marks for it". Deved. But at least I was told unlike you.. *hugs*

Thanks. I don't know about other universitys but Cambridge(the one I sent everything too) Was so damn picky not just with arts. I ended up with Ds and one C. And I did everything they asked for...what the hell...
#18 Old 4th Apr 2009 at 7:51 AM
Amazing painting Petch, although I think it is actually better than the screenshot. Which isn't bad at all. Great job, post more.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 25th May 2009 at 4:55 PM
Petchy, did you paint that with acrylics? If so I'm so envious, I cannot work with acrylic paint at all, it's either too wet or too gritty (I'm not sure how to describe it other than gritty) for me to enjoy. But when I see other people producing such beautiful work with acrylics it makes me with I liked that kind of paint.
Typical
#20 Old 27th May 2009 at 4:57 PM
Hey, petchy, I thaught I would drop in and say how talented at painting you are!!! I can do a blobbly looking person, with no detail...
Theorist
Original Poster
#21 Old 31st May 2009 at 8:48 PM
Dozo: Thankyou! Yea, The screenshot sucks, I think I may have a better one to post up there actually.... *thinks*

chibspan: Yes! I did use Acrylics! I am hating them (well, not *hate* exactly...) with this large card piece I'm doing at the moment. Luckily, I'm having fun with the fact that I can make it look Energetic with Acrylics - which I have trouble to do with Gouache. I find it easier to use Acrylic on Canvas, *shruggles*

lewjen: Oh Thanks! *Hugs*

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Theorist
Original Poster
#22 Old 31st May 2009 at 8:50 PM
I did this for my Sketchbook
(( I think I might add an alien to his Right.. *shrugs* ))

~+~

Oh, and Here is a Teaser for what I'm doing for my Next piece:

LINK
(Beware, VERY Large pic - I did it "Real" size, to my piece of Card)

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/