Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Nov 2022 at 12:54 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Pets, Seasons
Default Help, Sims 3 is crashing!
Hello. I am trying to mod Sims 3 but I've been really struggling with loading issues. I'm playing on the Steam Deck with Pets and no other expansion. It will not load into the town at all, getting stuck by a few inches. I don't know what to try.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 11th Nov 2022 at 3:00 AM
I'm not familiar with SteamDeck (since I don't have one), but does it allow mods?

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Mad Poster
#3 Old 11th Nov 2022 at 8:42 AM
Steam's own store site reports that TS3 is officially "Unsupported" on Steam Deck (as opposed to "Playable" which means it should run but with issues or extra steps that the player needs to take, or "Verified" which should mean all set, no known issues). I think that means it is known to them that it won't run on a Deck, or at least not yet.

This isn't surprising (to me) since a Deck doesn't run Windows as an OS and the version of TS3 that Steam sells is really the same as the retail disc version for Windows, just patched up to 1.67. I'm not sure Steam/Valve can even tinker with the program as needed to make it compatible, but then I don't really know how involved it would be for them to even try or if EA has to be involved somehow. I mean, Steam was never even allowed to sell the Mac versions of the game so they never provided those either even though they offer a Steam client for Macs generally.

Is there any information to be had that says TS3 can even run on a Deck?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Nov 2022 at 12:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by legacyoffailures
I'm not familiar with SteamDeck (since I don't have one), but does it allow mods?

It does, yes. I use mods on the sims 4 and got some mods working on sims 3 but it keeps crashing with certain mods or just doesn't load.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Nov 2022 at 12:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Steam's own store site reports that TS3 is officially "Unsupported" on Steam Deck (as opposed to "Playable" which means it should run but with issues or extra steps that the player needs to take, or "Verified" which should mean all set, no known issues). I think that means it is known to them that it won't run on a Deck, or at least not yet.

This isn't surprising (to me) since a Deck doesn't run Windows as an OS and the version of TS3 that Steam sells is really the same as the retail disc version for Windows, just patched up to 1.67. I'm not sure Steam/Valve can even tinker with the program as needed to make it compatible, but then I don't really know how involved it would be for them to even try or if EA has to be involved somehow. I mean, Steam was never even allowed to sell the Mac versions of the game so they never provided those either even though they offer a Steam client for Macs generally.

Is there any information to be had that says TS3 can even run on a Deck?

Yes. I use ProtonDB as well as Reddit. Both confirm that it can run using Proton Exprimental. I tested without mods and runs no problem.
Instructor
#6 Old 11th Nov 2022 at 12:22 PM
Then the problem lies within the mods and the setup you created to run the Sims 3. I'm sorry to tell you ModtheSims doesn't seem to offer solutions for console version. You could ask the Reddit forum you mentioned instead.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Nov 2022 at 12:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by legacyoffailures
Then the problem lies within the mods and the setup you created to run the Sims 3. I'm sorry to tell you ModtheSims doesn't seem to offer solutions for console version. You could ask the Reddit forum you mentioned instead.

It isn't really console. It is a computer and whatever works on computer in terms of solutions should work on Steam Deck. The only exception being .exe files.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 11th Nov 2022 at 3:38 PM
Yeah, it becomes more of a Linux implementation of the Windows version of the game.

Quote: Originally posted by Mystery1995
Yes. I use ProtonDB as well as Reddit. Both confirm that it can run using Proton Exprimental. I tested without mods and runs no problem.

In that case, can we get a sense of the mods you are trying to use? Can you load with ANY mods, like just one or two seemingly lightweight ones to start? Are you certain that none of your mods require EPs other than the one you have?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Nov 2022 at 6:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Yeah, it becomes more of a Linux implementation of the Windows version of the game.

In that case, can we get a sense of the mods you are trying to use? Can you load with ANY mods, like just one or two seemingly lightweight ones to start? Are you certain that none of your mods require EPs other than the one you have?

I got over 600 mods easily. As for what mods I am using, I'm using several skins, including some nsfw realistic skins which I can't seem to get working. Nraas mods, mods for seasons and pets, such as no peeing inside, no digging and improved weather machine, tons of fixes such as item fixes.

After a lot of trial and error I can load in now no problem but I don't know how to tell if a mod is working or not. If they don't show up on the detected scripts pop up at the beginning does that mean they aren't working?

Note: I bought seasons today which is why I including those mods.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 11th Nov 2022 at 9:07 PM
Good, this sounds like progress.

Quote: Originally posted by Mystery1995
After a lot of trial and error I can load in now no problem but I don't know how to tell if a mod is working or not. If they don't show up on the detected scripts pop up at the beginning does that mean they aren't working?

No, the list will only include Script and maybe Core Mods. Tuning Mods never show up on the list, nor do classes of CC like custom skins and objects. And the list is often incomplete for many of us, meaning that a mod not showing up there doesn't mean something is wrong and it may well be loading properly anyway. Other than Script Mods that provide scripted command menus, the only way to tell if a mod is loading is if you can detect the changes made to gameplay or the objects it is supposed to add, if any.