Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2022 at 1:28 AM
Default Filling in large areas
I just recently started playing with CAW, at first because I wanted a place to use the 13489723590845 lots I have downloaded from store without them looking too out of place. But now I'm just having fun, so glad I found this tool.

However, I'm having trouble getting inspiration for space-filler ideas. I tried google and all the hits were advice about filling in the tiny spaces between lots, but I'm talking about the big open spaces between neighborhood sections.

There's only so many farm fields or little wooded glens I can add to the world before it gets dull, and I'd like some variety. I feel like I'm just scrolling through the list of environment items repeatedly and nothing's jumping out at me. I'd take even the vaguest ideas at this point, just for something to work from!

The current space I'm scowling at:

Some other space fillers in the same world:

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Aug 2022 at 7:29 AM
My worlds get tons of trees, lots of them, many of them! Never too many trees for me. Look at photos of real locations. See how things are in nature.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 19th Aug 2022 at 9:38 AM
Apart from randomly filling the world with objects, the "interestingness" usually comes from the terrain, so terrain sculpting and texturing it is. If you look around, you rarely have empty green even plains. So, break them up with soft hills, a dent, some rocks, Some terrain painting with different greens, dirt, flowers, maybe a river or another small lake. Plants are always a good idea too, but don't overdo it, as too many can have an impact on performance. You will have construction sites in a world, dumps, parking spaces.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 19th Aug 2022 at 9:57 AM
This is the kind of location where i would always put little things for people to find. Like, a digsite hidden between little hills, disguised by lots of pampas. Or, the moving eye effect hidden in an old tree stump with a rare beetle spawner by it. Or, the cardboard yeti cutout hidden in a thick grove of trees. It depends on what type of world it is; if it's a bit run down then you could put an abandoned car with spawners; if it's a pretty country world then you could put a small pond with a rare fish spawner. If it's an industrial world, maybe some abandoned railway tracks and a broken down carriage (you can stick scary effects in those too). If it's a city world then you could put a little lot with a parking space for the food van there, add some benches and have a snack area. Or a kids' playground area with swings?
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Aug 2022 at 12:50 AM
Per all of the great suggestions posted, as said, have an interesting reason to go somewhere there. I also like to do pathways for Sims to jog or just get to some special pond or something.