Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Feb 2005 at 1:42 PM Last edited by redstripedsock : 19th Feb 2005 at 9:10 PM.
Default Good: Video Cards, Computers, Game Play Questions
Hello, I already posted this but then Delphy made a new forum for Tech Support, so I am going to post again because I didn't get any answers. Please PM me if this is inappropriate.

Right now I have a Compaq Presario 2580 laptop. It works great for things like internet, and doing homework. It also has worked really well for games like The Sims (1) and Zoo Tycoon (1). However, now that I have the Sims 2 and am interested in buying Zoo Tycoon 2, I realize that my laptop is not all that I thought it was.

I am thinking of buying a desktop computer only for video games. I would easily be able to do my internet/homework type of things on my laptop, so I don't really need a computer that excels in that area. I am looking for a below $700 computer (that will most likely be refurbished) that excels in gaming and has a lot of ram and space on it's hard drive. The computer should also have the ability to have it's video card changed.
So, please answer the survey/questionnaire:

1. What kind of computer do you have?
1a. What kind of video card?
1b. How much memory?
1c. How much did you pay for it?
2. Do you think that it is good for gaming?
2a. Would you recommend it?
3. What video card(s) would you recommend?
4. What kind of computer would your recommend?

Thanks!
-Charlotte

P.S. I have heard that nVidia GeForce cards are the best. Is this true?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 4:41 AM
absolutely. they work perfect. but if you get one, try to get a newer one, and sometimes there is still problems because there is no DirectX9.0, and you must make sure that the new computer has that too.
Test Subject
#3 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 8:22 PM
seek a computer with an amd processor, low latency ram, and a good vid card. ..like an pci-e vid card. you could get the 6600 for $190. pci is outdated by agp. agp is now outdated by pci-e. so a pci-e mobo is the best to seek for future changing out.

currently... the X850 by ATI is the best. it's a single pci-e card. for a lot of money.

sli, which is two top of the line cards working together, (currently only works with the nvidia 6 series) would out preform any. but wou would spend 1,000 dollars on 2 cards identical cards.

i'd go for the 6600 by nvidia. it's only 190 and would work good for the current games now.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 3:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by redstripedsock
I have heard that nVidia GeForce cards are the best. Is this true?

this is what i said absolutely about
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Feb 2005 at 2:49 PM
blut3ang3l- So basically, I get the 6600 or a newer one of the nVidia GeForce series?

similicious- That's good! I was hoping that those were good ones. Thanks!