Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by k6ka
If you're good with SimPE, feel free to open up his hacks and see just how many resources he modified that you never knew he did.

Not to mention the things he broke that he never cared to fix because he personally did not use it. Alfixes breaks the love letter reward from dates, which he knows but never cared to fix because he does not like them himself.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 7:42 PM Last edited by Darby : 16th Nov 2013 at 7:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Seems like you are saying contradictory things: I don't need to patch. But "M&G groke some parts of that patch". AL had been installed and patched, THEN I installed M&G. Seems like your saying M&G broke the AL patch - so don't I need to RE-install the AL patch? Or are you saying that won't help because M&G will just bork it again?

The only way to "unbreak" the parts of the AL patch that M&G breaks is to uninstall M&G. So no, re-patching wouldn't fix anything. My bet would be that the patch wouldn't re-run anyway, because it's already there/applied. It's just that now parts of it are being trumped by M&G.

If I understand correctly, Pescado revised alfixes to include some M&G fixes, so even though it's called alfixes, it helps with some of the brokenness brought in by M&G.

I agree that both the AL patch AND alfixes are needed for best functionality of both AL and M&G.

ETA:
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Alfixes breaks the love letter reward from dates, which he knows but never cared to fix because he does not like them himself.

I was trying to remember, without success, what some of the issues I have with alfixes are, and that's one of them. I always choose to keep alfixes, but it would be nice if a modder would tweak it to restore the love letters for those of us who want them back.
Top Secret Researcher
#53 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 8:52 PM
I believe that Cyjon's Date Gift Fixes re-enables dates leaving gifts on the doorstep of the Sim they had a good date with, if that's what you're talking about. Just make sure that mod loads after alfixes.

Same goes with the phonehack. I want the bug fixes, not the unnecessary additions to it. It really pisses me off that I'm forced to have stuff I don't want in my game along with the bug fixes.

EDIT: Uh, not really sure if it does. This is what HCDU gave me...

*** POSSIBLE CONFLICT DETECTED ***
File Type: BHAV
Procedure Name: Interaction - Anti Burgle
Group ID: 0x7F75BE33
Instance ID: 0x00001003
Packages Containing This Procedure:
\downloads\alfixes.package
\downloads\CJ-DateGiftFixes.package

...what's "Anti Burgle"?
Mad Poster
#54 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 9:16 PM
I don't think Cyjons mod would fix it, since the love letter is not delivered by the person but by the mailman. It does get delivered, and the Sim will take it out and kiss it, but it never actually appears in inventory.

I really like the letters, and it bugs me quite a bit that the mod screws them up, but alfixes is too important to be without I guess. Sometimes I take it out when I know a love letter is coming, but it is a bit too much hassle to do frequently. I'd try to fix it myself, but alfixes is too complicated a mod for me to fiddle with.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 9:27 PM Last edited by Darby : 17th Nov 2013 at 3:29 AM.
I believe that Cyjon's Date Gift Fixes re-enables dates leaving gifts on the doorstep of the Sim they had a good date with, if that's what you're talking about. Just make sure that mod loads after alfixes.

From what I'm reading, Date Gift Fixes makes sims leave date gifts near the mailbox rather than on the doorstep, and doesn't restore anything that alfixes removes.

As gummilutt says, it's the love letters from low-level (but good) dates that sims send through the postal service that alfixes got rid of. As a player who tends to shoot for dream dates, love letters are something I've seen in my game probably no more than a handful of times, but I still don't like the idea of having things removed from the game wholesale.

But again, alfixes is too important to get rid of, imo, so I put up with its idiosyncrasies.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#56 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 9:35 PM
Nifty, but unprofessional. I like having a mini-storyline, and I like it when my Sims fall off the treadmill . Besides, if I wanted six-pack abs Sims in a jiffy, that's what the InSIM is for.

But for more practical reasons, alfixes does fixes issues that were not covered in any of the patches, and also fixes bugs that you never knew existed. I know this because of 1. Pescado's nasty habit of not telling everyone exactly what his hacks do, and 2. Hack Conflicts that appear on the HCDU out of nowhere. For example, Tunaisafish's 'Get Parents Fix' collides with alfixes, even though the bug fix wasn't listed in the alfixes description. Since I assume Pescado fixed it already, I chose alfixes over Tuna's fix. If you're good with SimPE, feel free to open up his hacks and see just how many resources he modified that you never knew he did.

But you don't have to make them study it. I thought it was a really good reward for studying psychology or whatever it is.

I have the 'Get parents' fix and never noticed any kind of clash, what exactly is the clash going to do?

It would be interesting to know exactly what allfixes is trying to fix because other modders may have covered them. I'd rather have 5 smaller mods that I can pick and choose from.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#57 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 9:35 PM Last edited by k6ka : 16th Nov 2013 at 9:45 PM.
I'm probably asking for a slap in the face here, but I have alfixes open in SimPE right now. I have no experience with computer programming or BHAVs in general, but I think the code that omits the love/hate letters are in "CT - Mail - Get From Mailbox". There are two of them, one for each letter. I have this crazy idea of removing those two BHAVs from alfixes. Will that bork anything else?

Another EDIT: Squinge reported here that AL patch 1 supposedly fixed the date gift rewards. I'm not sure if patch 2 or M&G broke it again. If it wasn't re-broken, then there's a possibility that the two BHAVs can be safely removed.

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I have the 'Get parents' fix and never noticed any kind of clash, what exactly is the clash going to do?

This is what HCDU gave me:

*** POSSIBLE CONFLICT DETECTED ***
File Type: BHAV
Procedure Name: Family - Get Parents - Obj IDs
Group ID: 0x7FD46CD0
Instance ID: 0x000001E0
Packages Containing This Procedure:
\downloads\alfixes.package
\downloads\tunaisafish_fix_getparents.package

Looking at "getparents" via SimPE, it only modifies one BHAV, which is why I'm assuming it's no big deal. For now, I've left both mods in, with getparents overriding alfixes. I hope it doesn't break anything.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 9:37 PM
I have zero modding knowledge of modding, so have no idea. Seems like testing in a vanilla game would be safe, though!
Mad Poster
#59 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 9:46 PM
After all, you can always take out the modified alfixes and restore an unmodified one, afterward.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#60 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 9:47 PM
But you don't have to make them study it. I thought it was a really good reward for studying psychology or whatever it is.

It would be interesting to know exactly what allfixes is trying to fix because other modders may have covered them. I'd rather have 5 smaller mods that I can pick and choose from.

alfixes fixes the glitch in M and G that lets Sims gain body points insanely fast after studying Physiology. I don't use it because it created problems with my Sim's residential mailboxes when a love letter was delivered from a date. I would rather have a mod that just stopped Sims from getting to get to level 10 in body skill in little over a Sim hour after studying physiology.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#61 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
alfixes fixes the glitch in M and G that lets Sims gain body points insanely fast after studying Physiology. I don't use it because it created problems with my Sim's residential mailboxes when a love letter was delivered from a date. I would rather have a mod that just stopped Sims from getting to get to level 10 in body skill in little over a Sim hour after studying physiology.

Yes I know, I was saying I didn't want the body skill gained 'fixed'.

What glitch happened with the love letter? Did it disappear? I have noticed they seem to vanish into thin air.

What else did allfixes fix?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#62 Old 16th Nov 2013 at 11:29 PM
Will that bork anything else?

I could be remembering things wrong, but as I recall there was an issue with apartments and love letters, and that alfixes fixed that and in the process borked them for the rest. If you removed it, it might work, but then apartments would be re-broken, and I don't recall how serious that was.

And Jo, the love letter will be delivered, your Sim can retrieve it, but it won't be added to their inventory so it essentially vanishes.
Top Secret Researcher
#63 Old 17th Nov 2013 at 12:33 AM
I could be remembering things wrong, but as I recall there was an issue with apartments and love letters, and that alfixes fixed that and in the process borked them for the rest. If you removed it, it might work, but then apartments would be re-broken, and I don't recall how serious that was.

According to Squinge's thread and the now defunct Sims 2 Official Website (archived via Wayback machine), the AL patch 1 fixed the issue with letters in apartments. Don't know whether patch 2 (unlikely) or M&G (likely) broke it. If I had time, I'd definitely test it out on a throwaway hood.

And Jo, the love letter will be delivered, your Sim can retrieve it, but it won't be added to their inventory so it essentially vanishes.

Hey, I just had a thought - what if, as soon as the Sim pulled the letter out of the mailbox, I quickly paused the game and used the moveobjects cheat to maybe move the letter into the inventory? Will that work?
Mad Poster
#64 Old 17th Nov 2013 at 2:08 AM
Interesting idea. I have no idea if that would work, but it is worth a shot. If anyone tries be sure to share the results. I can't at the moment because I not at home and thus have no access to Sims.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#65 Old 17th Nov 2013 at 2:19 AM
Hey it wouldn't be all fixes that removed the AL morning cuddle in bed would it? I was saying on a thread here the other day that I must have put on something, as it disappeared some time ago. I know I didn't purposely mod it out and I was given the name of a mod by Squinge which was made to mod it out and I know I don't have that. One of these days I will do another 50/50 as my maternity separates are broken as well, but I need a bigger problem then no cuddles and broken 2 piece maternity to make me do a 50/50. I have 18 gigs of content and a 50/50 takes me some days to do. Even removing my download folder takes my computer 20 minutes to copy it to my desk top.

~Call me Jo~
Site Helper
#66 Old 17th Nov 2013 at 2:41 AM
I'm probably asking for a slap in the face here, but I have alfixes open in SimPE right now. I have no experience with computer programming or BHAVs in general, but I think the code that omits the love/hate letters are in "CT - Mail - Get From Mailbox". There are two of them, one for each letter. I have this crazy idea of removing those two BHAVs from alfixes. Will that bork anything else?
There's absolutely no way to know the results of your experiments without fully understanding the mod. It might work. It might cause major problems. It might cause subtle problems which will not show up until later.

Programming through guesswork can work sometimes, but it's definitely not the best way to program.

At the very least, backup your save game and keep that backup for a long time.

Alternatively, compare the mod with the game code and see whether you can fully understand the changes, then check the other changes in the mod to ensure that there is no conflict.
Top Secret Researcher
#67 Old 17th Nov 2013 at 3:48 AM
Hey it wouldn't be all fixes that removed the AL morning cuddle in bed would it?

No, I've seen morning cuddles in my game even with alfixes. There's also no code in alfixes that hints towards "Morning Cuddles" as far as I know.
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 27th Nov 2013 at 6:22 PM
I REALLY wish I had seen this topic before I bought M&G today. I do Not have AL. I Only have everything up to and including Seasons. I do use quite a few Hacks from MATY, like notwnieregen and antiredundancy (seasons versions). I have never played M&G before and thought it was just a stuff pack, So will I need to update my hacks to the AL versions, even though I don't have AL?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#69 Old 27th Nov 2013 at 7:16 PM
Yes. M&G is a stuff pack in name alone, it comes with its own game engine like an EP (but the engine is almost identical to that of AL).

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 28th Nov 2013 at 11:25 AM
After reading this, and hearing that none of the Hacks are supported for M&G without AL, And people mentioning a couple of slight Issues, is it really inadvisable to play with G&M without AL? Has anyone got this combination without issues, or am I pretty much guaranteed problems? Also with it being a new game engine, will I notice more lag/slower game play?
My set up is:
Double Deluxe (Base/NL/Celebration), Uni, OFB, Pets, Seasons,
Festive Holiday, Glamour Life, H&M, Teen Style, IKEA.
(Seasons Disk to run game)
Scholar
#71 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 2:55 PM
I know that I'm performing necromancy here, and promise that I will not make a habit of it, but I'd just like to add the following:

A long time ago, I found that Pescado's alfixes conflicted with too many of the other mods that I use, solved too many 'issues' that I didn't think required solving, and broke too many things that I didn't want broken. So I decided to put up with any bugs that may result of playing without this mod. Oddly enough, I have yet to run into any game-breaking issues. I must admit, though, that I don't generally play any apartment lots, and witches are quite rare in my game nowadays. So maybe I'm already avoiding most of the issues that this mod would fix.

More recently, I've decided to remove his macrotastics, because with that *and* autosoc installed, OFB business owners and employees exhibit unacceptable behaviors. They would run outside to terrorize any and all walkbys into visiting the store! And as soon as they know the Hard Sell option, they exclusively use that to try and sell anything to anyone, without regard for their relationship with said customer or the customer's mood. Both these behaviors cannot be stopped in any way, and they mostly drive customers away rather than attracting them. The offending routines are coded in autosoc, but accessed ONLY from within macrotastics, and there is no mention of any of that in the documentation!!! When faced with the choice to dump either one of them, I decided that autosoc offers me better features than macrotastics. Thus, macrotastics went the way of the dodo.

J.M.Pescado may be a great modder - at least I will admit that he's been quite prolific and appears to have a lot of knowledge of the subject - and I greatly respect that in him. But his attitude towards modding (he seems to only care about the way he himself likes the game to work), and his lax attitude towards documenting whatever his mods do, are big turn-offs for me. I don't generally put a lot of trust in mods whose functions and features aren't perfectly clear to me. And alas, I must say that Pescado is the one responsible for me feeling this way. This has caused me to generally prefer any alternative over any of his mods. And what few of his mods I *do* use, are all loaded FIRST, so case of any conflicts the OTHER mod will override his behaviors.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#72 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 3:12 PM
To be fair to Pescado, that's pretty much what he says about his modding himself. Mind you, it's not that I don't agree with you but I've always regarded Pescado's mods as caveat emptor.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#73 Old 16th Mar 2016 at 4:11 PM
You're absolutely right, Maxon, I'm sure he does. And I can respect that, too. I just have a hard time accepting mods on those terms, I think. To each their own. :D
Page 3 of 3