Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 9th Jun 2005 at 6:11 AM
ok, this is just weird! mine started about a week ago, i've taken all the advice here- i did see some N00 files in my saved sims, and LOTS of scripts in my usually empty log folder. i have removed the problems from my saved sims, and i will be back shortly to tell what happens.

*crossing fingers* hope this does it, i c lots of ppl will be happy!
Advertisement
#52 Old 10th Jun 2005 at 1:23 PM
where is this 'clean install' thingy?
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 10th Jun 2005 at 2:02 PM
On the home page of this site there is a link. But here is the direct link.

http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/

Quote:
Life is not about the amount of breaths you take, it's about the moments that take your breath away.
#54 Old 11th Jun 2005 at 10:38 AM
:howdy: My game used to crash all the time and then in started playing in 800x600 pixels so in neighbourhood view i went to game settings or whatever it is that has the symbol of a monitor and changed all the graphic settings and detail settings to medium as they were all on high and now my game doesn't crash any more. maybe that could help you?

bye

flozi
Test Subject
#55 Old 12th Jun 2005 at 7:30 AM
kmercer1 I hav read most of the posts here and i have had simaler problems. I have done what most of you have done but I have found out that if you don't what to have to restart your legacy family over then just move not evect your family out of the house. But first put a sim in to your legacy house hold and move evry one out but the new sim. then you can delit the house hold with new sim in it. This should remove the bugs your legacy faimly is haveing. If this dosent work or you have all ready have tried this then i do not know what to say.
Test Subject
#56 Old 20th Jun 2005 at 2:28 AM
This same thing has been happening to me for weeks. I have reinstalled 3 times but it still crashes, sometimes after a long time, sometimes after a short time. I have had my game with and without downloads and hacks and with and without background applications. I've tried playing in both maxis-made and custom lots to no avail. I tried most of the suggestions here, and others have popped up before with different effects (overheating- crashed whole computer).
My compy has really great specs so there shouldnt be any problems. I'll be watching this thread for more theories. Thanks everyone!
Test Subject
#57 Old 20th Jun 2005 at 9:02 PM
I started having this problem last week also. I started wit h not being able to load my legacy family, luckily for me I was on the 10th generation, so I didn't matter that I lost it. It wouldn't load with the family, whenever I tried to start the family it would just cycle. One day I just let it run overnight to see if it would stop. It didn't; so I uninstalled the game, downloads and all. Then what I did was reinstall the game; fresh. Started a new legacy family and it would start with that [COLOR=Red]application crashed and your program will terminate[/COLOR] as soon as Goopy Gilsbaro (my new legacy husband) used the bathroom. Each and everytime he used the toilet, the game crashed. So I moved them to a new lot. Same thing happened, then I went into the buy section and deleted all the hacked toilets the game worked for awhile but then it started crashing again.

So I moved on to the Oldie and Burb household respectively, and once again it was the custom content toilets. Removed those worked fine until I called for the gardener. Who was a male and sure enough, as soon as the gardener arrived; 10:07 a.m. the game started crashing yet again. Now the son cannot change clothes, the only option is for him to change into swimwear.

I think it is either one of two things -- a hacked item or a mesh. Because as soon as I put in the download with the platform/wedged shoes the game started tripping. I am going home to check and see if I removed them what will happen.
Test Subject
#58 Old 23rd Jun 2005 at 5:39 PM
Default Sims2 Crashes
My game won't open at all I get a box that has Sims2 and a big red X and a close button. Have no idea what's up with it. Anyone know what to do.
Test Subject
#59 Old 24th Jun 2005 at 5:34 AM
Default My game is giving me the Crash message ARG!!!!
Wendesday my game started giving me the "this game has crashed. THis game will now terminate" message. So I contacted maxis their response it was my video card. No matter that the card has been running the game just fine for a month. So I replaced the game same problem. I then deleted and reloaded Sims2 & University. Went into body shop to recreate my sims now its giving me the crash message also, when I try to create a family from the sims in the game. Any ideas???
Instructor
#60 Old 24th Jun 2005 at 5:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SueT
My game won't open at all I get a box that has Sims2 and a big red X and a close button. Have no idea what's up with it. Anyone know what to do.

Read this.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=33005

Quote: Originally posted by PaulaL1956
Wendesday my game started giving me the "this game has crashed. THis game will now terminate" message. So I contacted maxis their response it was my video card. No matter that the card has been running the game just fine for a month. So I replaced the game same problem. I then deleted and reloaded Sims2 & University. Went into body shop to recreate my sims now its giving me the crash message also, when I try to create a family from the sims in the game. Any ideas???

Try getting rid of all your custom content. That could help.
Test Subject
#61 Old 26th Jun 2005 at 9:32 PM
After a lot of re-installing and frustration I do believe I might have found a problem. My game onlhy crashes when the gardener comes. I did have the daily gardener hack in my game and I just removed it. I am going to see if it happens again.
#62 Old 26th Jun 2005 at 11:35 PM
i dont think that maxis knows what they are talking about ..i have no downloads or hacks (anymore, i deleted them and reinstalled my game) and my game is crashing :banghead: :mean: :flame: :madashel:
Test Subject
#63 Old 27th Jun 2005 at 3:17 AM
I don't know if this is relevant, but I recently noticed that my game recently has started crashing whenever I click on the career & skills tab whenever I want to see what time my sims need to go to school/work. I used to have a hacked career, but I got rid of it and it still does the same thing ... the game runs fine, but when I click the tab, it crashes. I really don't know what to do.
Test Subject
#64 Old 27th Jun 2005 at 3:20 AM
And I have a perfect video card, so it can't be that!!
ARGH
Also, I never use gardeners.
I just let my plants wither away and die because I am waay too lazy to do anything about it.
I thought I solved the problem when I went into the config folder and there was a download in there so I took it out but the game still crashed. It might be whats other peoples' problem, so I thought I should tell you all about it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#65 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 9:03 AM
I think the moral of this story (thread) is that Maxis blows, and the game is buggy, also that if you install -any- custom content at all, you could -potentially- have problems. I don't think all these crashed share a common thread. My problem was the mariage post-mortum hack, thusly the game was crashing when it came time for my elders to die.

Remember... He who laughs last, didn't get the joke..
Banned
#66 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 9:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kmercer1
I think the moral of this story (thread) is that Maxis blows,

Steady on, Maxis was (is?) a reputable company. It's EA's interference that's put money first, quality second.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#67 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 8:54 PM Last edited by daysies : 8th Jul 2005 at 8:59 PM.
I think the moral of this story (thread) is that Maxis blows, and the game is buggy, also that if you install -any- custom content at all, you could -potentially- have problems. I don't think all these crashed share a common thread. My problem was the mariage post-mortum hack, thusly the game was crashing when it came time for my elders to die.

Don't be so quick to say that. There has never been a perfect release of any game. You'll always get bugs and things because everyone plays the game in different ways. It's impossible to catch everything before the game gets released. Also, Maxis does not have to comply to these hacks. These are user-made. We've taken their code and reshaped it. Also, you have to be careful as to what custom content you're putting in your game because 1) some custom content is badly made, and 2) some hacks will just not work with each other.

When University came out, I wrote up an extensive "what works, what doesn't work" list. Even though it's quite outdated, some issues may still apply. I suggest that everyone re-read that. We may be overlooking the obvious.

http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=47692

Regarding the gardener hack, I touched upon that on my list:

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:
HACKS + OBJECTS:
gardeningfun.package (hack) + money trees (object) = crash to desktop. If you have the gardeningfun hack and NO money trees, you're fine. But if you enter a lot with money trees, and you have the gardeningfun hack running in the background, you might suffer a crash to the desktop. PLEASE BE WARY of this combination.

DDO
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#68 Old 8th Jul 2005 at 10:24 PM
Indeed I agree that all games are bound to be a little buggy, but the Sims 2 is by far the worst I've come across, and as for the custom contents and hacks being part of the problem (which is obviously ours own faults for not watching what we download and install better) I thought I already mentioned that in the same post.
... also that if you install -any- custom content at all, you could -potentially- have problems...

Remember... He who laughs last, didn't get the joke..
Page 3 of 3