Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 12th Jul 2022 at 3:08 AM
My condolences Andrew Gloria.

I had a social worker pass on Olive Specters lot last year. I say pass because I don't actually know how she died. What happened was a very unlucky child fell victim to olive specter nonetheless, and the social worker got stuck in a loop trying to take the kid out of the household. I reloaded the lot and a grave was spawned at the edge of the world with the social workers name on it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 31st Oct 2022 at 5:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by StrangeTownChick
Several years ago I had a couple sims dying from colds. They hadn't been sick long enough for it to be pneumonia, just dying of colds. Still haven't figured that one out.

I know this is an old thread now, but I can answer this one! It came up a lot for me in my apocalypse hood challenges. The cold code is broken; it causes the sim to die when it maxes out instead of changing properly to pneumonia. That ironically makes it much more deadly than the flu! Anyway there is a fix, here: https://modthesims.info/d/649717/pneumonia-fix.html

I also didn't mind resurrecting this thread to say @AndrewGloria , I missed this at the time of posting but I'm very sorry to hear of your loss and wanted to offer condolences. Since MTS lacks a flower emoticon I can only send a virtual toast to your mum.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#53 Old 31st Oct 2022 at 11:48 PM
Thanks simsfreq! And thanks to everyone else who expressed condolences to me in this thread. Sorry I didn't thank you all earlier. I honestly thought I had done. I suppose I was preoccupied. Although she was in her 90's, her death, when it came, came as a shock to me. I was expecting to get her home from the hospital until a couple of days before she died. And in recent years, my principle role in Real Life was as her carer. So not only have I lost someone whom I very much loved, but in some ways I have lost my main purpose in life. In some ways too -- without my mother to care for -- my Sims have become more important to me.

So @simsfreq, what you said a few days ago in another thread is true of me: I really don't want to watch my Sims grow old and die. Certainly not just now! I have literally watched my mother grow old and die. (And I agree I'm well off-topic -- a nonagenarian dying of cancer is definitely not an unusual death.) It seems not long to me since I was a young child, and she was an active young woman in her twenties. I can hardly grasp that it's nearly seventy years ago. Even in childhood I felt my life was passing too fast, and I was dragging my feet to try to slow it down. So, if Real Life is far too fast for me -- it's not so much my head; it's my heart -- I just can't get my heart round the idea of a life that goes from the womb to the cemetery in 80-90 days. Before I started to play properly I did the tutorial, and when I looked at Tutorial Joe and it said "Becomes an Elder in 29 days," I said to myself, "But he looks so young -- that's only a month!" I decided there and then I was going to be an "Aging off" player. So I choose not to play generationally, but to concentrate on the current generation, and get to know them really well. And each day is just that -- a day. So if things don't work out for my Sims, and they don't manage to achieve what they hoped to achieve, they can say with Scarlet O'Hara, "I won't think about that today. I'll think about that tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day!"

Also simsfreq, thanks for the link to kestrellyn's common cold mod. I definitely don't want my Sims to die from a cold!! Actually, although I've seen Sims with 'flu and Sims with food poisoning, I don't think I've ever seen a Sim with a cold. I guess the common cold isn't so common in the Sims universe.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Link Ninja
#54 Old 1st Nov 2022 at 3:00 AM
Fire via hot tub. I had two sims die of this, probably back when I had an unpatched game.
Poor Evan Elberts was a teen and having a fun time with his friends in the family's hot tub when he burst into flames and his mother failed to extinguish him. He haunted around the hot tub deck until they sold the thing and moved his urn. His mother was never the same after that, but went onto have two more sons.

Diablo Sanchez also was taking a moment to relax by himself in the family hot tub when he caught on fire from overheating. His mother, Camilla, was around and bravely tried to extinguish him but she also succumbed to the flames born of water. So there was a double death that day, his kids lost a father and a grandmother.

Then I wised up and patched my game so the flames of hot tub hell could never take another life.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#55 Old 1st Nov 2022 at 8:38 AM
They can pick up colds and flu on returning from work, random chance, but it's quite low. But they can also get flu from roaches, which are much more common. But without mods, no illness is very dangerous. They will normally recover just with a night's sleep.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#56 Old 1st Nov 2022 at 9:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
So not only have I lost someone whom I very much loved, but in some ways I have lost my main purpose in life. In some ways too -- without my mother to care for -- my Sims have become more important to me.

The Sims in its various iterations has got me through several low points too. There's something very therapeutic about this game!

@Charmful Wow, I have never seen that happen! Hilarious, but tragic!

@simsfreq Mine usually get flu from the roaches, I've only had the flu from work a couple of times in all my years of playing.
Mad Poster
#57 Old 3rd Nov 2022 at 9:32 AM
I've just remembered another unusual death back from when I first started playing. I had a family with a couple of children and I made the wife get pregnant again to see what it was like having a baby. It might have been my very first pregnancy in game. I didn't play any of the pre-made hoods first, so I didn't get any of the mini-tutorials about things like pregnancy. Well, I didn't really pay attention to her hunger bar, and her husband wanted to woohoo so I made them woohoo. Woohoo, it turns out, tanks hunger, and since she was already hungry when they started, she got out of bed, curled up and died! She then haunted the house, pregnant, until I stopped playing them.

I have since been very careful with pregnant sims and starvation!

Mad Poster
#58 Old 3rd Nov 2022 at 10:22 AM
I also remember that while in my medieval hoods, I always hold my breath with expectant pixels because I have a mod that increases the risk of maternal death in childbirth.
There were 2 such deaths in Arundel, and I can't stop them once they start because it seems that the pixel is alone and nobody is ever around to save her life by pleading with Grim.
Those aren't 'normal deaths' in modern times-and in the game they're not normal, either. A bit of realism is pretty fraught with anxiety when playing the medieval era.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Field Researcher
#59 Old 16th Nov 2022 at 11:06 PM
I had my first (and second) fly death recently. I was playing a household with a single mother who had more kids than she could look after and the house and yard soon became infested with trash and roaches. Then one day I noticed I was a kid down and there was an urn there. I didn't know what had happened. Yes, they had been sick but were supposedly healthy again. Then it happened a second time. I saw an ash pile nearby so I made the connection that the kids died by flies. I'm all for unpredictable/weird deaths but I did feel bad about the kids. Since mom couldn't manage, I had the other parent revive the fly death kids with a genie lamp and they were raised by their fathers instead. I did eventually get her lot cleaned up, the exterminator spent about 8 hours trying to clear the roaches on her lot and it wasn't even a big yard, it was just that filthy.
Scholar
#60 Old 17th Nov 2022 at 8:09 PM
Death by Chocolate !
Must have that ........

" Inama Nushif "
Field Researcher
#61 Old 18th Nov 2022 at 11:13 AM
Oh I had another one that I found hilariously funny. I sent a bunch of kids off to Uni and put them in a dorm. Some of them were townies I didn't want around and wouldn't have minded if an "unfortunate accident" befell them. So I put an exercise bike in the dorm, knowing that sims will exercise themselves to death if you don't keep an eye on them (or use a mod to fix it). It didn't take too long for them to take the bait. But it wasn't so much that. I left their urns on the lot and once multiple sims started dying, their ghosts would come out and scare the other students, causing them to die of fright. I had so many ghosts haunting this lot that it got to the point that nobody could survive more than 2 days max without either dying by exercise bike or fright. I thought it was the funniest thing ever. The dorm was littered with urns, upstairs and downstairs.

Another item that seems to do that is that merry go round playground thing that kids swing on? Teens will swing on it until they drop dead too. I like to play busy/large households so that wasn't something I would have seen coming as it had never happened before. I had this one teen who just would not stay off it and I kept finding her urn next to it the next morning. I always revive the kids/teens because those really are accidents. There's accidents and then there's "unfortunate accidents".
Scholar
#62 Old 11th Dec 2022 at 2:42 PM
Just had some very strange deaths in Pleasantview. Bobbi Broke decided to throw a party for her college friends, some still young adult, some newly graduated. Evander Cox walked in and burst into flames. There was no fire around, and nothing was even cooking. The fire alarm went off, but the fire spread quickly through the living room, and four Sims died: Bobbi, the only one who actually lived on the lot; Evander (son of Kennedy and Andrea); Randall Lillard (son of Brandon and Marylena); and Marco Goth (son of Don and Cassandra). The only survivors were two other party guests and David Burb, Bobbi's roommate, who happened to be in the bedroom woohooing with his girlfriend at his time. I have no idea what caused this fire--I'll just put it down to one of those random glitches that happens sometimes and takes the neighborhood in an unexpected direction.
Mad Poster
#63 Old 11th Dec 2022 at 3:47 PM
@sturlington : Do you have a fully patched game? I recall reading that spontaneous combustion was a thing in The Sims 2, but I thought it had been fixed in a patch.

Spontaneous combustion of humans has been alleged in real life, but I understand the evidence for it is disputed, I recall a fictional example of it in Charles Dickens's Bleak House. The author seems to have regarded it as a very rare real life phenomenon.

Whatever the truth of spontaneous combustion, I hope it never happens to any of my Sims. (Squinge's No More Fires mod should protect them! ) Even more, I hope it never happens to me!!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
#64 Old 11th Dec 2022 at 10:44 PM
@AndrewGloria : Thanks, but I don't think that's the cause. I play on the Mac, and as far as I know it's all up to date on fixes. Just as in life, I guess it's one of those weird, unexplained things that sometimes (but rarely) happens.
Page 3 of 3