Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 8:41 PM
Default Problems installing patch (split from: Installing University)
that was the problem... (a bit late but thanks anyways lol) ok but i have a new problem... i have downloaded the patch because when i put in the sims 2 disc it would say error updating and installation will now terminate (or something like that) why won't the patch install?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 12:32 AM
errg i can't find out why the patch isn't working and i can't install university... i've never ever had a problem installing a game before this one... it seems like i fix one problem installing it and another one decides to appear
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 12:52 PM
Could you read this please: http://www.sims2techguide.net/article.php?p=20
Does this help, or do you still have the problem?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Nov 2005 at 11:39 PM
i've never been able to install uni... thats my problem... i heard that if i uninstalled the game and then installed the patch that when i installed uni it would skip updating sims 2... only problem is that the patch won't install. any reasons that the patch won't install... do i have to redownload the patch?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 9:35 PM
cause it took like 2 hours to download the first time
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 15th Nov 2005 at 10:34 PM
Could you uninstall the game and then re-install it? If you're prepared to do that, then follow this guide to do a clean uninstall, and then try installing the base game followed by Uni- don't install any patches yet.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 11:27 PM
yep i did that like 5 times... uninstall... reinstall... i then tryed the patch when that didn't work and i can't install the patch... and i tryed the complete uninstall but i can't find anything that it said... it wasn't specific enough... i would go to where it says but it wouldn't look like the picture... maybe my computer is different.. i really need help... it always says that there is a error... oh and when i tryed the complete uninstall i couldn't delete all of the sims 2 folder because "the UK english folder won't delete" errg this is so frustrating...
i deleted everything except i couldn't delete the UK english folder and nothing was in it... so i took it out and deleted everything then reinstalled sims 2... by the way the run programs regedit... or whatever it was said that it was a illegal installation or something so that didn't work... i'm so confused... );
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 11:29 PM
if i can't run that program i can't do the rest... ahh i feel like i'm pulling hair out... at least now sims 2 original works... but i really really want uni *crys*
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 11:32 PM
and before when i said the thing about illegal installation the regedit... i don't have anything illegal on my game... i didn't download anything... i bought my games... nothing illegal!!! i don't get it
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#10 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 11:34 PM
Whats the error message it gives you when you try to run regedit?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 11:35 PM
if anything that i just typed doesn't make sense... just qoute the part you don't get and i'll try to explain it some more.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 11:37 PM
i'll go look hold on
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#13 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 11:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mandapandatigger
by the way the run programs regedit... or whatever it was said that it was a illegal installation or something so that didn't work... i'm so confused... );

Could you please quote word for word what it tells you when you run regedit?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 11:39 PM
it says C:\WINDOWS\System32\degedit.com
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0dcf IP:ffd3 OP:63 fa 65 13 64 choose 'Close' to terminate the application

then it gives me the choice of close or ignore... and ignore doesn't work... it just keeps coming up
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 11:41 PM
that is what it says word for word
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#16 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 11:44 PM
Try running this instead:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\regedt32.exe
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 11:46 PM
ok i'll try it then get back to you... thanks by the way for reading my raves and trying to help me
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 11:49 PM
omg that worked!!! i have a question though before i do the complete uninstall... what would the complete uninstall do that might fix the message that there is a error when i update my sims 2 cd?... do you think it will work?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 11:53 PM
i'm wondering if it's worth the time if it won't work... i hope that doesn't sound mean.. i just want to know if it worked for other people?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 11:57 PM
By clearing the registry entries you're removing any trace of the games or patches that you put in. So if your installation is hanging because of a conflicting registry entry, this will solve it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 16th Nov 2005 at 11:59 PM
thank you... i will try it and let you know if it worked if it didn't... if you have anyother ideas i'll take them... or i'll just give it up... but i really hope this works thanks..
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 12:00 AM
thank you... i will try it and let you know if it worked if it didn't... if you have anyother ideas i'll take them... or i'll just give it up... but i really hope this works thanks..if i have a problem finding something in the complete uninstall directions can i ask you?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 12:35 AM
i have a problem... i don't have a address box on my documents
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 12:37 AM
never mind i found it
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 17th Nov 2005 at 12:39 AM
help... it says "Cannot remove folder UK English:the directory is not empty. "