Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 2nd Nov 2013 at 11:35 AM
I was able to install Sims 2 fine on my Windows 8. I don't see what the problem is with you guys. In fact, Windows 8 runs any file type on my computer. Obviously you guys are doing something wrong.
Even the 1998 game Star Wars : Jedi Academy worked on Windows 8 even when it didn't work on Windows 7.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 11th Nov 2013 at 11:51 PM
Hi, I know this is super late but. I've tried every step to the letter and the only problem is the patch part. The expansions install but when it checks for updates it has an error then uninstalls everything! Please can someone help?
Test Subject
#78 Old 12th Nov 2013 at 2:13 AM
Did you try using GrumpyLoader? Directions can be found here.
Test Subject
#79 Old 12th Nov 2013 at 3:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by schwimmbad17
Did you try using GrumpyLoader? Directions can be found here.

I did. But I will try again. The installation cashes when it checks to see is my sims 2 is up to date. Its says TSUPD.exe application has stopped working therefore the installation has failed and then it proceeds to uninstall the expansion pack. :c
Test Subject
#80 Old 13th Nov 2013 at 10:40 PM
Did you patch the base game using GrumpyLoader before trying to install any expansion packs? If the base game is not patched, the next EP will not install. Assuming the base game installed correctly for you, you need to open the patch for the base game in GrumpyLoader and install it before attempting to install the next EP. If you have more EPs, you will need to install the patch for each one in GrumpyLoader before continuing on to the next.
Test Subject
#81 Old 19th Nov 2013 at 1:47 PM
Hi, I have a new laptop with Windows 8.1 and I am following the instruction exactly. I have all the EP and SP but when I install the last one, apartment Life, the game crash on CAS. Only the last one. Before AL the game run perfectly. I don't have any downloads. Please help me!
My nvidia geforce is ok.
Sorry for my english!
Mad Poster
#82 Old 20th Nov 2013 at 8:44 PM
I see this thread has been moved to the Help forum. I don't have Windows 8 myself, but I have referred one or two people to this thread. I'm sure this is a problem that can only become more frequent as virtually all PCs now sold come with Windows 8.

Perhaps this thread should therefore be stickied so that it stays visible and doesn't get archived.
Test Subject
#83 Old 21st Nov 2013 at 5:41 AM
Ok, I just want to share MY story... I have windows 8, and I was VERY ANGRY because I have a Intel HD graphics card, and I tried to install the sims 2 double deluxe, and the installation went well, but when I play the game, it usually crashes in CAS or when I visit downtown. Then I did some research, and I realized that stuff pack 4 (the one included with double deluxe) was not compatible with windows 8, so I uninstalled it, and installed ONKY the Sims 2, and it did not crash in CAS, or when I visited the lots (I was playing in Strangetown). But the game seemed to start crashing if I downloaded packs after Open for Business and Fashion Stuff Pack.

ADVICE: When playing the Sims 2, play with the lowest graphics options in the game, so the game will run faster and crash less often
• Compatability mode on Windows XP (Server 2 or 3)

•If you have windows 8, don't install packs after Open for Business and Fashion Stuff (EP3 and SP2)
Site Helper
#84 Old 21st Nov 2013 at 6:03 AM
eduardoiscool , your problem is very likely your underpowered computer which doesn't have a graphics card, rather than Windows 8.

Those Intel chips are not graphics cards.
Test Subject
#85 Old 21st Nov 2013 at 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eduardoiscool

•If you have windows 8, don't install packs after Open for Business and Fashion Stuff (EP3 and SP2)

I can play with all the stuff pack and 7 EPs. The last EP, however, crash in CAS. Before the 8th one, all run ok.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#86 Old 4th Dec 2013 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
eduardoiscool , your problem is very likely your underpowered computer which doesn't have a graphics card, rather than Windows 8.

Those Intel chips are not graphics cards.

Very true! I have a graphic card AND a intel chips. Intel chips work with most newer games but not with the ones like The sims 2
Test Subject
#87 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 4:47 AM
I know this thread hasn't been updated in a while, but I really need help, when I go to troubleshoot compability, I don't have Windows XP service pack 2, I have Windows Vista service pack 2 instead. I chose that one for my game and grumpy loader, and The Sims 2 Deluxe installs perfectly fine, but when I open the patch on grumpy loader I get, "Sims 2 is already up to date." So, I go to install University and it install fines up until it gets to check for updates and I get, "the update process did not complete successfully. installation will now terminate." I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling but the same thing keeps happening,
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#88 Old 18th Dec 2013 at 1:28 PM
Which patch(es) are you trying to run in GrumpyLoader?

Did you remember to run the installer in compatibility mode too?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#89 Old 21st Dec 2013 at 4:18 AM
I'm using the dvd patch for deluxe, and yes, I put everything in vista service pack 2.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#90 Old 21st Dec 2013 at 12:57 PM
Try XP SP1 or SP3 if you don't have SP2 in the list, although I can't think why it wouldn't be there.

Test Subject
#91 Old 25th Dec 2013 at 7:36 PM
do i need to download the patches if i bought the games new??
Test Subject
#92 Old 26th Dec 2013 at 12:59 PM
OK so I was wondering if you could help me because I have windows 8 and I can't get my sims 2 to work. It installs fine but then when it comes to loading the game it says it an error has occurred and wont let me play. I have tried the different compatibility modes and it still wont work. i have even tried to uninstall the game to try it all again but it wont even let me do that! does anyone know how to help?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#93 Old 26th Dec 2013 at 1:24 PM
nklein, yes. The only time you don't need the patches is if you have collection packs or Origin downloads.

louise, what's the full text of the error message? Did you install in compatibility mode?

Test Subject
#94 Old 26th Dec 2013 at 1:38 PM
it says:
The Sims 2 Launcher has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I didn't install it in compatibility mode. Now I can't uninstall. I'm stuck!
Test Subject
#95 Old 26th Dec 2013 at 2:19 PM
Default now working!
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
nklein, yes. The only time you don't need the patches is if you have collection packs or Origin downloads.

louise, what's the full text of the error message? Did you install in compatibility mode?

I installed university in compatibility mode and now its working fine. thank you for your help
Test Subject
#96 Old 4th Jan 2014 at 10:20 PM
This works great for me until I reach Pets. I could run the Pets installer successfully but then when I tried to boot up the game, I got the error message asking me to put the Pets disc in the drive and try again, although the disc was in the drive. I went ahead and tried Seasons and got the same problem. When I went back to Open for Business that gave me the message too, even though I had successfully booted it before I installed Pets.

I've uninstalled one-by-one and found that I can still get Nightlife to work, but nothing beyond that. The weird thing is, I only get the "please insert the disc" error when I run Autorun in compatibility mode. I could boot Pets without compatibility, but as soon as I open a neighbourhood it crashes. The only way I can get round the crashing is to run in compatibility, which only works up to Nightlife.

I'm not too fussed, I'm happy just to be able to play The Sims 2 again even without all the expansions, but has anyone got ideas I can try to get around the error? I did google and found that lots of people have this error which they are blaming on the CD protection, but I don't see how that can be the case if they run without compatibility.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#97 Old 4th Jan 2014 at 10:39 PM
Ohhh! Starting the game via autorun could be the problem. What happens if you start the game by double-clicking the Sims2EPx.exe file in your latest EP's Program Files directory? After setting it to run in compatibility mode and all that, of course.

Test Subject
#98 Old 4th Jan 2014 at 11:36 PM
Ohhh! Starting the game via autorun could be the problem. What happens if you start the game by double-clicking the Sims2EPx.exe file in your latest EP's Program Files directory? After setting it to run in compatibility mode and all that, of course.

I found my Program Files, went to The Sims 2 Open for Business, and found the Sims2EP3 file, but it's listed as an ICO file. I'm assuming I'm just looking in the wrong place but I don't know where else it would be.

Edit: Not sure if this matters, but I have a Program Files folder and a Program Files (x86) folder. My EA games folder is in the x86 folder.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#99 Old 4th Jan 2014 at 11:53 PM
Yeah, you're looking in the wrong place, but you're close. The exe should be at the bottom of the TSBin folder.

Test Subject
#100 Old 5th Jan 2014 at 12:07 AM
Yeah, you're looking in the wrong place, but you're close. The exe should be at the bottom of the TSBin folder.

Thanks! I tried your suggestion and still got the same error though.
Page 4 of 13