Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
#26 Old 20th Aug 2008 at 9:37 PM
Something deep in my bones tells me she's doing a mistake. I hope I'm wrong. I can't imagine how hard it must be - both being a friend and being sick. Nice update!
Advertisement
#27 Old 20th Aug 2008 at 11:02 PM
Aww This story is so bittersweet, I love it.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 21st Aug 2008 at 6:01 AM
I'm glad Kat found someone! I hope he doesn't turn out to be another jerk like her last boyfriend. Maybe they will have a quickie wedding and he will make all her dreams come true in the short time they have together.

The best stories come from real life. Check out my Sim story at S2C:
Back To Love
Test Subject
Original Poster
#29 Old 22nd Aug 2008 at 2:36 AM
Default Chapter 9 *Lyran*
Lyran became a regular at our house. He was quite charming and a big help with Kat. She apparently adored him. As Kat grew weaker, Lyran would help me do everything Kat needed done. I even taught him how to give her the pain shots she was coming to need so badly.

It was the start of another busy week. Jareth was working, Kat was napping, Lyran was out picking up Kat’s prescription while I puttered around the kitchen making Kat’s lunch. I heard the door open and close. Lyran was back. I heard him approaching me.

“Did you get the medicine?”
“Yeah. Hey, do you know if…no never mind.”
He said.
“What is it?”
“Well, I was just wondering if Kat has insurance.”
“Um, no. Her health insurance stopped when she had to quit her job. Disability insurance hasn’t picked up yet.”
“That’s not what I mean but that is good to know.”

I walked over to the counter and sat Kat’s plate down, then turned to face Lyran.
“What do you mean then? Does she have life insurance?” I asked tightly.
“Yeah. I mean, I can’t afford to bury her…I mean…I…uhh…”
“Her funeral is paid for. We’ve already made the arrangements. What makes you think we would ask you to pay for anything?
There was no way I was telling him about Kat’s insurance or her money for that matter. His attitude about it all pissed me off. As if I would ask him for anything!

“Look, I see I should not have discussed this with you. I was only asking because I am in no financial shape to pop for a funeral. I am still looking for a job.” He said in a soothing tone that only infuriated me more.
“How are you going to look for a job if you spend all of your time over here?” I know it was a snide thing to say but I was beyond caring.
“What’s wrong with me spending time with my lady?” He said through a sneer. “You have Jareth over here at your beck and call when he’s not at work.”
“You can keep your nose out of my business. Whatever your intentions are with Kat, I’m here to tell you now, it is not going to work.” I took my time in enunciating each word so my point had time to settle in.

“Oh honey, you underestimate me.” He said with a grin.
“No, you underestimate the bond between Kat and me. And get this straight right now. My name is Jaysia, not honey or any other smart-ass word you want to call me. I demand respect in my own house. Don’t forget where you stand!”

From down the hall, I heard Kat stirring around in her room. I took off to check on her, Lyran temporarily forgotten. She was on her feet, looking shaky and scared.
“Jays, what were you yelling about? Why are you mad at Lyran.”
“Oh it’s nothing sweetheart. I’ve got your lunch ready. Do you want me to help you to the kitchen or would you rather prop up in bed?”
“Stop babying me Jays and tell me what the hell all the yelling was about.”

Lyran chose that moment to walk in. He folded his arms around Kat and held her close while he spoke.
“It was nothing baby. Jaysia and I just had a disagreement. Don’t you worry about it. It won’t happen again.”
I was torn. Should I tell her what he asked me and how I felt, or should I agree with him to soothe her for the moment. I took the easy way out.
“He’s right Kat. It was stupid really. I’m sorry if we woke you.”
She seemed to accept our explanation, or maybe she was too weak to argue further. She let Lyran help her to the couch where he sat and pulled her onto his lap. She looked genuinely happy. Did I have a right to destroy that? Did I overact to his question?

I avoided them for the rest of the afternoon. If Kat needed me, she had a voice. She could call out to me. When Jareth came home, I drug him into my old room and told him what was said between Lyran and I.
“Why didn’t you tell Kat? You know she trusts you.”
“I know, but she looked so worn out. You know how bad she is lately.”
“We should tell her tonight when Lyran goes home. Do you think we can keep her awake long enough?”

“Yeah, I will hold her shot for a few minutes. Maybe that will give us time to talk sense into her.” I said as I gestured wildly.

I was on edge until Lyran said goodbye. I stood at the window and watched him drive away. Jareth brought Kat into the family room so that we could have a talk with her. She seemed confused and let me know it.
“What’s going on Jays? Isn’t it time for my shot? I’m starting to hurt again and I feel sick to my stomach. Are you and Jareth ok? Don’t leave me hanging.”
I sat down on the couch beside her and told her about Lyran.
“I want you to listen to me Kat and not interrupt. I might have overreacted today when Lyran and I had our little argument but, I promise you, it was the way he said it and how he looked that put me on the defensive.”

“I think Lyran is a gold digger.” I added bluntly.
“WHAT?”
She yelled.
“He asked me today about your finances. Well more directly, if you had insurance because he said he couldn’t pop for a funeral. Has he made any mention of money to you?”
She seemed to be hesitating. Seconds ticked by in the now silent room. Just when I was about to ask her again, her weak voice met my ears.
“As a matter of fact, he asked me today if I had any savings and if we could get a place of our own. He told me I should make him the beneficiary of my life insurance. I don’t know how he even found out about my policy. Jeez, he sure had me fooled.”

“He had all of us fooled Kat.” Jareth said, his voice thick. “At least we found out before he could do any real harm or get a hold of your money.”
“Yeah.” I chimed in.
“I wish you had said something when I asked you but I guess you had your reasons. I’m glad it is all out in the open. Will you guys excuse me so I can call the dirt bag and tell him it’s over?”
“Sure honey, but don’t get worked up.” I gave her hand a gentle squeeze as I followed Jareth from the room.

When Kat finished with Lyran, she called out to me and asked me for her shot. I gave it to her and helped her settle into bed. After she was settled, I sought Jareth for comfort. He held me in his strong arms and I finally relaxed.

Thanks for your comments. Keep em coming! Chapter 10 will be up this week. I'm getting attached to my characters and it makes it more fun to do the story.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#30 Old 25th Aug 2008 at 3:46 AM
Default Chapter 10 *Nearing The End*
As the weeks turned into months, I watched a once active, vital woman turn into a withered, frail, pain racked and suffering person. Some days the pain was so great she would moan hoarsely that she wished she would just die so it wouldn’t hurt anymore. It was heart wrenching to hear. Her eyes would plead with me to help her. It broke my heart. I would sit beside her and rub her brow with a cool rag while I talked to her about different things. She would continue to moan even though I had given her the maximum allowed shot of morphine. Tears would stream from her eyes as she tried to make me hear her. She would beg me to give her an overdose so she could die and be at peace. I couldn’t stop the tears that fell as she begged me to kill her. I tried to soothe her as best I could. At the end of the day as darkness fell around us Kat would finally sleep. I would then clean the house, get things ready for the night, shower and fall in bed both emotionally and physically exhausted.

Jareth would come by in the evenings after work to help. The nurse I hired was a lifesaver but the worse Kat became, the harder it was to balance everything. I had to hire a housekeeper to keep up with the housework. Jareth worried that I wouldn’t be able to handle Kat as the end drew near. He suggested moving in so he could be there with me. I agreed only after we talked it over several times. We discussed it with Kat as well on one of her lucid days. She actually smiled. In her weak voice she told Jareth that she knew I loved him, how I had loved him all along and that she was happy I’d have someone to love me and look out for me. She accepted the kiss Jareth planted on her cheek. Later, as we fixed soup for Kat, which just happened to be all she would eat, Jareth pulled me into his arms.

“You are a wonderful woman Jays. I love you and I want you to know I am here for you. I am worried about you. All you do is work then come home to take care of Kat and worry. You are losing weight, you look exhausted and you cry all the time. I think you need to give up the job. Since I’m moving in, I’ll handle all the bills and pay your father back for the loan on the house.”

I was so overwhelmed at his kindness. It took me by surprise. I didn’t comment right away, because Kat was calling me but I would talk to him later. I thanked him before rushing off to check on Kat. It was a bad day for her. She was obviously in tremendous pain. She kept telling me her mom was there with her. Her mom had been gone for 2 years at the time. I had been told by the staff at the patient care center that disorientation was part of the process. Kat had already gone through the withdrawal phase. She didn’t want to see or talk to anyone she use to hang out with. Eventually she would refuse food. This would be the hard part for me because it would signify that the end was drawing near. When she started refusing food, it would mean her body was preparing to die. I didn’t look forward to that happening but I knew it would. It always brought me to tears to think about.

I tried to keep life as normal as possible for Kat. I talked to her about what was going on in the news and around us. She never asked about anyone or anything in particular and for that, I was glad. When Kat felt up to it, I would help her to into her wheelchair and take her outside to sit among the flowers so she could smell their beautiful fragrance and see the butterflies and birds.

We had good days and bad days and days when Kat was almost like her old self. On those days, she would talk to me. She would thank me for everything I was doing for her and apologize for waiting so long to go to the doctor. She had many regrets that I tried to get her to let go. She would hold my hand and tell me how much she loved me and how good it made her feel that I was the one caring for her instead of putting her in a nursing home or hospital then apologize for putting me through all of it. I told her many times, there was no choice to make when it came to caring for her. I never regretted my decision and I never would.

I should have another chapter out to you this week. I'm trying to finish this up as life is about to get real busy. I've got to go through cancer again with my step father who was just diagnosed this week.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#31 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 12:14 AM
Default Chapter 11 *Saying Goodbye*
As I said in my last post, I have to wrap this up pretty quick. My step father was just diagnosed with throat cancer so I won't have the time to keep adding to this story. It's been fun posting again and I've enjoyed your comments. The final chapter should be added tonight if I can get in game and take pictures.

********************************************************************************************************************

Jareth worked and took care of all of us and he never complained. He never tried to tell me what I should do where Kat was concerned. He simply loved me and supported me in my decisions. He started reading to Kat in the evenings while I cooked supper. He would even hold Kat’s small body in his arms so I could change her sheets. He bought wedge pillows so we could prop Kat in different positions so she wouldn’t get pressure sores. I think it hurt him about as much as it hurt me to watch her die knowing there was nothing we could do to stop it. I was a basket case. Jareth held me as he always did and let me cry.

Two weeks into the third month, Kat became more and more confused. When I would go in to check on her she might think I was her mom or someone she knew from the past. She also grew restless and would often claw at the sheets and writhe around on the bed while she moaned and panted. We would up the dosage on her pain medication, which always settled her for a while. She also began sleeping most of the time. I knew that the end was drawing near. The nurse knew it too. She told me what to watch for and who to call when it happened. I knew this day was coming but it didn’t make it any easier to take. It seemed like all I did those days was cry.

One week before the 4-month mark, I walked into Kat’s room to find her awake. She saw me and tried to speak. I stood by the bed waiting to hear what she had to say.
“Jaysia, I love you. You are the sister I never had. I need you to know that I really appreciate all you have done for me.” She paused, took a deep breath and seemed to sink into the bed. I could tell she was struggling so I tried to soothe her.
“I have to get this out Jays. I can’t leave without telling you this.” Once again, she paused while trying to catch her breath.
“Jareth loves you very much. He wants to ask you to marry him but he didn’t want to pressure you. He felt the timing was wrong.” In a breathless whisper, she went on. “He told me Jays. I want you to promise me you will not let my death stop your life. I know you love him. Marry him Jays. Be happy and when you experience all of life’s joys, remember me.” Once again, she struggled to breathe. It took a little longer for her to speak again.

“I’m ready to go Jays. This body can’t take anymore. I want you to know, I’ll always be with you. I know you will cry for me, but don’t spend all your time doing that. I’m going to be with you whenever you need me, I promise. I love you so much.”
Through my tears I told her that I loved her too and I promised her I would do all she asked. Her breathing slowed, I knew it was happening but I wasn’t ready.
“No Kat, don’t go yet. Oh please…I can’t lose you right now.”
I was holding her hand, trying to breathe for her, willing her to rally against death, not embrace it. Kat took one last big breath and went still. It seemed I was paralyzed. As the last breath escaped her body, I could hear her saying…
“It’s over Jays. No more pain, no more tears. I’m finally free.”
I looked at her. It was obvious she was gone. Tears streamed from my eyes and I collapsed to the floor.

Everything after that seemed to happen in slow motion. I made all the phone calls. Jareth came. I was given a shot of something and put to bed. The rest of the week just blurs in my mind. I knew I needed to keep the promises I made Kat but the pain was just too great. Every time I thought about her, I broke down. I nearly lost my mind when I stood beside her grave, the ground covered with snow.

Jareth and I were both wracked with grief. Sobs tore through our bodies as we ached for someone taken so young to a disease so brutal. I stood there for a long time crying and weeping. When the sun hid its face, I noticed Jareth had left me alone to deal with my own heartache. I wandered back home, not knowing what else to do. I felt lost. I had spent so much time taking care of Kat. I had nothing to occupy me now. I stood in the doorway of Kat’s now empty room and the tears started again. Jareth came up beside me slipped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me close.

“What do I do now Jareth? How do I get over losing her? Why do I feel like there is a huge hole in my heart? Why does it hurt so much?” I broke down again.
“It hurts because you loved her honey and because you suffered right along with her. It hurts because you are a loving, caring person. You know she’s not suffering anymore. You know she is still with you. She lives in your heart.”
I tried to take comfort in his words but the pain was too fresh. Jareth left me to my turmoil. I wandered out to the porch and continued to cry.

********************************************************************************************************************

Will add final chapter as soon as I can get the photos done.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#32 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 1:37 AM
Default Final Chapter
During the weeks that followed, I had to go through Kat’s things. I donated her clothes to the needy. Her keepsakes, I boxed and stored in closets. Her books I moved into the guest room. When Jareth and I moved the hospital-bed out I found a notebook tucked under the mattress. It appeared to be just blank paper and just as I was about to toss it on the top of the boxes, my eyes caught on a page that wasn’t blank. Across the top was written, ‘Don’t Cry My Friend’ and it appeared to be a poem. I took the book outside and continued to read.

When you wake up tomorrow and I am no where to be found
When you scream out my name to the emptiness around
When every beat inside your heart is skipping and unsure
Don’t cry my friend for I am here, inside your love so pure
When the waves that used to touch our feet have gone back out to sea
When everything you once held dear was lost when you lost me
When the sun that once lit up your face is setting far away
Don’t cry my Friend for time shall pass, but my love for you will stay
When age arrives and children play and pain creeps up on you
When loved ones show you happiness that your life never knew
When all of your expectations are met, no matter what the pain
Don’t cry my friend, for I am waiting to hold you once again
When beauty in your eyes turn gray and all of the rainbow, white
When strong undying hearts no longer feel an urge to fight
When winter snows become more pain than beauty in your heart
Don’t cry my friend, for I am here and we will never ever part
For my loving friend Jaysia love always, Kat.

I let the book fall to the ground. Kat wrote this for me when she knew she was dying. I stumbled out in the freezing cold night, tears blinding me. I found myself on the bench in the garden.

As time passed, the ache did ease. I could think of Kat and smile instead of crying. I knew she would be pleased. I also kept my promise. I married Jareth in the garden where I would take Kat in her wheelchair.

It wasn’t long after our wedding, when I found out I was pregnant. I just knew it would be a girl and it was. A beautiful little girl we named Katie. I still think about Kat daily. Katie’s nursery is in Kat’s old room. I know Kat is watching my daughter when she sleeps in that room. I know Kat is happy for me and she knows I kept my promises. My daughter will know all about Kat, the woman she was named after.

The End. Hope you enjoyed it. Sorry I had to rush the ending but real life must take over now.

Field Researcher
#33 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 2:17 AM
Aww .
That was such a great ending. You made me cry :'(.

Just Call Me Allie :)
Field Researcher
#34 Old 26th Aug 2008 at 6:59 AM
That poem brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing your story, it was lovely and touching!

The best stories come from real life. Check out my Sim story at S2C:
Back To Love
Page 2 of 2