Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

No Curfew Police

by jonha Posted 22nd Jun 2009 at 2:08 AM - Updated 24th Jan 2011 at 10:45 PM by jonha

104 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 93 Feedback Posts, 10 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 5
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 14th Aug 2009 at 5:16 PM
[QUOTE=Redentore]You mean the curfew is real? There are modern countries where people can't go around at night? Wow.. [QUOTE/)
Yeah, I thought the same....
So my teen is out in the graveyard for a nice chat with grandpa's ghost and all of a sudden a bupple pops up in my sim's mind: Oh NO you're out after curfew we're coming for you!!!
How could they know.
Test Subject
#52 Old 30th Aug 2009 at 9:00 PM
I was wondering if this mod helped my situation...

My teenager got taken by the police for staying out past curfew (it was kinda funny at first, especially since a little kid was walking by the police car as she was getting arrested), but then her head icon thing disappeared from the left side of my screen. I can't control her now. I tried moving out, and the game says that she moved with her parents and she lives in the same house. But she's not there and I can't control her. Irks me to no end.
Scholar
Original Poster
#53 Old 1st Sep 2009 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joinmeforacupotea
I was wondering if this mod helped my situation...

My teenager got taken by the police for staying out past curfew (it was kinda funny at first, especially since a little kid was walking by the police car as she was getting arrested), but then her head icon thing disappeared from the left side of my screen. I can't control her now. I tried moving out, and the game says that she moved with her parents and she lives in the same house. But she's not there and I can't control her. Irks me to no end.

My mod probably doesn't help, but I think the resetsim cheat should work.
Scholar
#54 Old 2nd Sep 2009 at 7:14 AM
Would it be too much of a bother to ask for a 40 or 50 percent version? Even though there is no curfew where I live (and I was unaware it existed at all in the States), I do like the element of risk it adds to the game. However, 84% is almost a sure thing, and 27% doesn't feel quite high enough.

It's not a huge deal, though, so don't feel pressured. I just thought I'd ask.
Scholar
Original Poster
#55 Old 3rd Sep 2009 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Purplepaws
Would it be too much of a bother to ask for a 40 or 50 percent version? Even though there is no curfew where I live (and I was unaware it existed at all in the States), I do like the element of risk it adds to the game. However, 84% is almost a sure thing, and 27% doesn't feel quite high enough.

You know, it's per hour.

27% per hour means the chances to be captured are are 47% if you are two hours over time, 61% if you are 3 hours over time etc. As sim hours are rather fast, I don't think that this is too much. But maybe I make a few updated versions, hmm...
Scholar
#56 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 3:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jonha
You know, it's per hour.

27% per hour means the chances to be captured are are 47% if you are two hours over time, 61% if you are 3 hours over time etc. As sim hours are rather fast, I don't think that this is too much. But maybe I make a few updated versions, hmm...

I don't know the mathematical reasoning behind that, but it doesn't seem to me like the overall chance would be raised just because it's repeated every hour. If you went by that theory, then at some point, there would be a hundred percent chance of getting caught, which wouldn't always prove true if tested several times. ...Though on the other hand, it does seem logical to assume that there's a greater risk of getting caught the longer you stay out. I guess I'm somewhat baffled by this. Would you care to share how you arrived at those figures?
Scholar
Original Poster
#57 Old 10th Sep 2009 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Purplepaws
I don't know the mathematical reasoning behind that, but it doesn't seem to me like the overall chance would be raised just because it's repeated every hour. If you went by that theory, then at some point, there would be a hundred percent chance of getting caught, which wouldn't always prove true if tested several times. ...Though on the other hand, it does seem logical to assume that there's a greater risk of getting caught the longer you stay out. I guess I'm somewhat baffled by this. Would you care to share how you arrived at those figures?

It's rather complicated.

The game checks every half sim hour, if there should arrive a policeman.
My mod changed this percentage to 15%.

The chance to be captured per hour then would be
15% for the first half hour and 15 percent for the second half hour (but as you will will be captured already with a 15% change in the first half hour, you have to multiplicate this with 85%).

So for one hour, this is 15%+15%*85% ≈ 27%. Actually it is easier to calculate it by just multiplying the chances to be not captured, so for one hour this would be 100%-(85%*85%), which is of course 27%, too.

Now, if you want to calculate the chances to be captured, if you are two hours away, you do the same:
The chance to be not captured per hour is 73%, so the formula is:
100%-(73%*73%) ≈ 47%
for three hours it would be:
100%-(73%*73%*73%) ≈ 61%
and for "n" hours:
100%-(73%^n)

Now, you can't reach a chance of 100% to be captured. Let's assume, the curfew time is 8 hours (I'm not sure about this), then the chance to be captured for this night would be (if your teen is 'alone' the whole night)
100%-(73%^8) ≈ 92%.

Note, that the numbers are rounded and if you calculate that precisely, you may get slightly different results.

With all this knowledge, you can do your own curfew mod yourself. Just open my mod in s3pe, extract the resource and edit in the line
<kChanceOfPoliceSpawnAfterCurfew value="0.15">
the 0.15 to something else you like more. And then reimport your changed file and save.
Scholar
#58 Old 11th Sep 2009 at 2:39 AM
Ok, so the overall chance of getting caught is x+(x*y) in the first hour, +x*y for every additional half hour, where "x" is the chance each half hour, and "y" is the inverse of the cumulative chances. I think I can wrap my mind around that. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

I think I may just stick with your 27% version for now, but if I feel differently later, I'll just edit the package in S3PE like you suggested. Sorry for the trouble!
Test Subject
#59 Old 24th Oct 2009 at 10:44 PM
Thanks fot this, after my teen got arrested 3 times in one night (with the less curfiew mod) I decided enough was enough and went for no curfiew.

Is it posible to make a mod where the curfiew police are an extreamly rare occurence and the teen has the option to run away?
Field Researcher
#60 Old 30th Oct 2009 at 8:42 PM
Thanks for this mod. My Sim Teen has a wish to go fishing before 6am - was also a wish as a childgoing from a child - everytime I send her to the pond behind her home
the police turn up before she can fulfill the wish.

Now at last she can have her wish come true.
Scholar
Original Poster
#61 Old 8th Nov 2009 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by link dude80
Is it posible to make a mod where the curfiew police are an extreamly rare occurence and the teen has the option to run away?

Making it really rare is easy, as I explained before, you only have to change a number. Allowing the teen to run away most likely requires a core mod (and I won't make one).
Inventor
#62 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 3:02 PM
Just wanted to report that this mod does work with the 1.6.6 patch. All that EA added to the code for this xml file is a line about having the same NPC police be used with a sim that the NPC knows or has had dealings with before. Otherwise the rest of the code is exactly the same as this mod.
Scholar
Original Poster
#63 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 10:53 PM Last edited by jonha : 19th Nov 2009 at 11:24 PM.
Thanks for your report, i will update it soon.

Edit: OK, new version is up.
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 8:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Redentore
You mean the curfew is real? There are modern countries where people can't go around at night? Wow.. You people in usa should really stop watching tv or play videogames and put some sense back in your politicians. Thanks jonha for a really needed hack.

Yeah, I'm shocked too..
Most of the european countries don't have these kinda rules. Thanks God!
I heard lot of other things that makes me really surprised and I don't know why they call USA the country of freedom.
Test Subject
#65 Old 21st Nov 2009 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lorea
Yeah, I'm shocked too..
Most of the european countries don't have these kinda rules. Thanks God!
I heard lot of other things that makes me really surprised and I don't know why they call USA the country of freedom.

i thought that too when i found out stuff about the USA (im european).
Test Subject
#66 Old 10th Dec 2009 at 2:17 AM
OMG thank you!! I hated it when the parents scolded my teens for being late. Right when it turned 11, my teens were always caught. Now I don't have to worry anymore ^_^
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 10:45 PM
Can you please update the no curfew to the latest patch, 1.8.25.003001?

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
Scholar
Original Poster
#68 Old 17th Dec 2009 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by elaineavalon
Can you please update the no curfew to the latest patch, 1.8.25.003001?

Are you sure, it doesn't work? According to the release notes, they didn't changed police stuff, so it is likely, that the current (1.7/2.2) version still works. To be honest, I actually use this mod with the newest patch and have no problems.
Test Subject
#69 Old 9th Jan 2010 at 5:37 PM
Good because it is stupid having curfew anyway... a good few years ago i used to go out alot at late times during the holidays scotland btw probalyl is a curfew that nobody cares about anyway
Test Subject
#70 Old 14th Jan 2010 at 11:23 PM
Thank you so much for this !!

I have a teen Sim who is a Pop Icon;; her job runs AFTER curfew, so the police always pull her out of work, and her work performance pays the price !!

Now, maybe someday she'll become a Rock Star !!

Thanks !!!
Test Subject
#71 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 9:31 PM
Thanks for this! Curfew's a silly idea, if someone's not lost or in danger, and they're not causing trouble, the police should leave them alone. What happened to letting the parents decide?

The thing that really annoys me about curfew is there's no reason for it in The Sims. It's no more dangerous for a child or teen to be out alone at night than it is to be out in the day. What's the worst that can happen, they might get scared by a ghost?
Field Researcher
#72 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 8:20 PM
Can you please update to the latest patch ( 2.5 ) ?

Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 20th Apr 2010 at 10:04 PM
Yes, please! It doesn't work.
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 26th Apr 2010 at 5:16 PM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 30th Oct 2010 at 2:57 PM. Reason: smiley abuse
THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I love how it doesn't disable the moodlet, too! :lovestruc

Lab Assistant
#75 Old 26th Apr 2010 at 5:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonha
Are you sure, it doesn't work? According to the release notes, they didn't changed police stuff, so it is likely, that the current (1.7/2.2) version still works. To be honest, I actually use this mod with the newest patch and have no problems.

Yup, it works. I wasn't sure, that's all.

Page 3 of 5