Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Meshing Toolkit - version 1.4.9 uploaded 12/20/2018

by CmarNYC Posted 26th Jul 2012 at 2:58 PM - Updated 20th Dec 2018 at 3:05 PM by CmarNYC

296 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 209 Feedback Posts, 86 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 7 of 12
Instructor
#151 Old 7th Apr 2013 at 4:23 PM
With the newest version (1.3.0.0) I thought "Bugfix for bad logic in Auto Bone for GEOM and WSO that assigned extra weight to last bones in assignments" would end the problem of sometimes assigning about 1% of every vertex to the auskel joint. (I'm using the tool for TS2 meshes.) If it was supposed to end it, well, it did not. If that line referred to something else, I'm sorry and this is still an ace tool.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#152 Old 8th Apr 2013 at 3:17 AM
I assume you're using it on Sims 2 WSO meshes?

I build this tool for Sims 3 and have tested it only on Sims 3 meshes. I can double-check the math but until I get to making a version for Sims 2 (which I plan to do) I really can't test any fixes. Sorry!

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Instructor
#153 Old 9th Apr 2013 at 3:32 AM
Yes, I'm using it for meshes thrown together from TS2, TS3 and sometimes .OBJ meshes. It works great other than the issue with that auskel joint (described in Bloom's tutorial here).
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#154 Old 9th Apr 2013 at 9:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gwenke33
Yes, I'm using it for meshes thrown together from TS2, TS3 and sometimes .OBJ meshes. It works great other than the issue with that auskel joint (described in Bloom's tutorial here).

Could you upload the meshes you're having this problem with? Meshes before and after Autobone, plus your reference mesh, would be very helpful.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Instructor
#155 Old 17th Apr 2013 at 2:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Could you upload the meshes you're having this problem with? Meshes before and after Autobone, plus your reference mesh, would be very helpful.

Sorry for taking so long, I wanted a fresh project that I still remember the details of.
I suppose you want the WSO files? In the ZIP there are two before+after files and the reference mesh (I was only interested in the feet of the body mesh, hence the use of the differently shaped reference mesh).
Thank you for looking into this.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#156 Old 18th Apr 2013 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gwenke33
Sorry for taking so long, I wanted a fresh project that I still remember the details of.
I suppose you want the WSO files? In the ZIP there are two before+after files and the reference mesh (I was only interested in the feet of the body mesh, hence the use of the differently shaped reference mesh).
Thank you for looking into this.

Sorry to take a while to get back to this. Where are you seeing assignments to the auskel joint? I used Toolkit to examine the meshes and don't see any auskel assignments in the original or 'newbones' meshes.

Instructor
#157 Old 19th Apr 2013 at 8:12 AM
I see the assignments when I import the 'newbones' mesh into Milkshape: when in the joints tab I select the auskel joint and then click 'SelAssigned', almost all vertices get selected (although some of them have 0% assigned to the auskel joint); but some have 1 to 4%, which I see when if I examine the vertices with Demon's Extended Manual Edit plug-in, which shows all coordinates, UV and bone assignment data for TS2 meshes.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#158 Old 19th Apr 2013 at 8:46 PM
Okay, I see them now. What seems to be happening is that the MS wso importer is truncating the assignment weights and dumping a percent or so into the last joint to make the weights total 100%. Kind of a sloppy way to do it, IMO, but they didn't foresee other tools being used to do bone assignments.

I'll have to round the assignments to a whole number for wso meshes to get around it. The lost precision shouldn't be enough to worry about.

Instructor
#159 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 1:54 PM
Thank you very much for adapting your tool to MS's quirk! Not having to mess with the work-around re-exporting thingy will be very useful.
Also, there's one more thing. I don't know about TS3, but for TS2 we often use meshes that consist of several parts (e.g. body and shoes are separate groups within the mesh). Would it be very difficult to enable the bone assignment and morph tools to handle such meshes? (Still using a reference mesh with a single group.) Might even speed things up for TS3 users.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#160 Old 20th Apr 2013 at 11:41 PM
In TS3 wso meshes additional groups in the same mesh are only used for morphs, which don't have separate bone assignments. Is it different for TS2? Could you upload a sample?

I still have TS2 but need to install it and look at the structures. A couple of sample meshes might save time by giving me a better idea how this works.

Instructor
#161 Old 21st Apr 2013 at 7:35 PM
Most commonly, TS2 meshes also have just one group plus morph(s) without bone assignments.
But quite often they need to have more than one group, because (1) all the texture used by the groups cannot fit on a single texture, (2) the different groups need to use different opacity settings (alpha layers), (3) Milkshape messes us the mesh when trying to merge morph parts resulting from Frankensteining meshes, or (4) you just want to provide several options, e.g. the same dress with different shoes, in which case the recolour file will determine which groups will be used.
Here are examples for type 1 and 2.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#162 Old 22nd Apr 2013 at 2:14 PM
I take it the .simpe files contain Sims 2 meshes? I installed SimPE and opened them but can't make heads nor tails of the contents. I just don't have time or energy at this point to learn Sims 2 resource structures so I can't work with anything other than WSO or GEOM meshes. Sorry!

Instructor
#163 Old 22nd Apr 2013 at 5:23 PM
Sorry, I think I did not think it through, there's really no need to burden you with TS2 files.
I think what I would like to see is a kind of batch processing for TS3 users: you save a WSO file with multiple base meshes (e.g. group_base_1, group_base_2) and get back from the MeshTool a WSO file containing the same multiple meshes but with bones based on a one-group reference mesh. Or with morphs (group_fat_1, group_fat_2).
Maybe in the distant future you want to implement this, but if not, it's still a very useful tool for TS2 as well
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#164 Old 22nd Apr 2013 at 6:02 PM
Maybe in the future, yes - although I've never seen a Sims 3 wso mesh with more than one base group. Multi-part clothing takes more than one wso mesh, each of which has a base and morphs. Again, if you have a sample I'd be curious to see it.

Instructor
#165 Old 23rd Apr 2013 at 12:26 PM
I don't play Sims3 so all I could do is save a mesh with multiple parts as a WSO mesh in Milkshape. I'm not sure if that's what you mean, but here it is anyway.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#166 Old 23rd Apr 2013 at 1:59 PM
Got it now! It imports into TSRW as if it's two .wso meshes. Pretty handy actually. Shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Instructor
#167 Old 24th Apr 2013 at 12:55 AM
Hooray! Glad to hear it.
Lab Assistant
#168 Old 30th Apr 2013 at 10:38 AM
The 'select file' buttons for Auto-Create Morph BGEO under Auto Tools for GEOM are not working on my system. I tried re-downloading the toolkit but the dialog still didn't appear. I'm too lazy to actually create my own BGEO >.< I tried disabling visual themes and different compatibility modes to no avail. I can press the buttons, but the dialog just doesn't show up...
I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1.

A Psycho'sTrip ✦ Stay in Wonderland and I'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#169 Old 30th Apr 2013 at 12:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cyclo_tripz
The 'select file' buttons for Auto-Create Morph BGEO under Auto Tools for GEOM are not working on my system. I tried re-downloading the toolkit but the dialog still didn't appear. I'm too lazy to actually create my own BGEO >.< I tried disabling visual themes and different compatibility modes to no avail. I can press the buttons, but the dialog just doesn't show up...
I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1.

That's my mistake - I created the screen but didn't do any of the coding for it and forgot to hide it. Since then I decided it has limited use since you can't check and refine the morph if it's already a BGEO, but if you convince me it's needed I'll finish it for the next version.

Lab Assistant
#170 Old 1st May 2013 at 6:49 AM
After running in circles with an outfit, I believe this is needed. While it isn't accurate to only copy the morph instead of fine-tuning for the first level of detail, I do this very often. I often don't even notice clipping. When doing the lower level of details, copying the BGEO instead of having to copy each morph one by one would be less complicated as well. I'm always going back and forth in the Auto-create Morph Mesh tab, Auto BGEO has the potential to stop my tedious cycling. If the worst happens, then not much will be lost. With managing so many GEOM files, I end up naming files 'bleh' and 'egh' while trying to figure out why the fat morph works but the thin morph has an incorrect number of face ids @.@
Even if you choose not to include this, I wanted to let you know that I absolutely love this toolkit <3 I noticed that your Auto-assign Bones is near the league of 3DS Max's Skin Wrap.

A Psycho'sTrip ✦ Stay in Wonderland and I'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes
Lab Assistant
#171 Old 3rd May 2013 at 8:34 PM
please forgive me if this is posted somewhere, but after a while of googling, I just couldn't find how to use this tool to convert adult to teen female clothing.

Thank you in advance.
~Cloud

ETA, and while I'm at it, is there a tutorial on using this to get all the morphs for store clothing to show up with tsrw?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#172 Old 6th May 2013 at 10:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by reinmag
please forgive me if this is posted somewhere, but after a while of googling, I just couldn't find how to use this tool to convert adult to teen female clothing.

Thank you in advance.
~Cloud

ETA, and while I'm at it, is there a tutorial on using this to get all the morphs for store clothing to show up with tsrw?

Toolkit doesn't do age conversions - yet. You have to manually modify the base and morph meshes to match up with the teen neck, waist, and ankles, plus making the shape more teen-like, then add the modified morphs to your conversion package.

Lab Assistant
#173 Old 7th May 2013 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Toolkit doesn't do age conversions - yet. You have to manually modify the base and morph meshes to match up with the teen neck, waist, and ankles, plus making the shape more teen-like, then add the modified morphs to your conversion package.

Thanks CMAR.
Do you think you'll keep working on the toolkit now 4 is announced? (pretty please)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#174 Old 8th May 2013 at 4:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by reinmag
Thanks CMAR.
Do you think you'll keep working on the toolkit now 4 is announced? (pretty please)

Definitely I'll keep working on it until it's got all the useful functionality I think it should have.

Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#175 Old 9th May 2013 at 6:46 PM
Wonderful to hear. Thank you for all your amazing creations.
Page 7 of 12