Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Aug 2022 at 7:12 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Question about custom food "corruption"
Hello everyone!

I never wanted to download custom foods, because of the "corruption" concerns they could cause by deleting them, specifically memories and favorite food.
But is that really an issue?

I have a mod which disables the "Learn To Cook" memory so I guess that that part isn't a problem
But if a Sim's favorite food is a custom food and then I delete it, isn't the game smart enough to remove it from his favorite food or replace it with another one, like it does with clothes/objects/recolors?
And if the deleted custom food is still a Sim's favorite food, what can go really wrong?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Aug 2022 at 9:40 PM
I've installed custom foods and have tons of them in my game and I don't actually uninstall any of them though you can simply remove them from use as in having sims just avoid cooking them and choosing other meals instead.I've also got that breakfast at midnight Mod installed and even that one on it's own is a game saving patch.I'm stuck playing UC and that Mod works for me though it's quite old and was released long before most expansions even came out.I control my sims mostly so I can stop them from fixing any foods I don't want in use.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 29th Aug 2022 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nostural
Hello everyone!

I never wanted to download custom foods, because of the "corruption" concerns they could cause by deleting them, specifically memories and favorite food.
But is that really an issue?

I have a mod which disables the "Learn To Cook" memory so I guess that that part isn't a problem
But if a Sim's favorite food is a custom food and then I delete it, isn't the game smart enough to remove it from his favorite food or replace it with another one, like it does with clothes/objects/recolors?
And if the deleted custom food is still a Sim's favorite food, what can go really wrong?

I haven't had any issues with custom food downloads - but when I had to set up the game on my newer computer, I did not download some of the one's with overly long names. No idea why screen names had to be included in the file name
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Aug 2022 at 8:43 AM
It's not just the memories or the favorite food settings, there's also a number of invisible food-related tokens that get generated, and the game will also generate food-related wants for that food and I don't know of any known safe process of removing something from SWAFs. So yes, you will have errors and problems if you remove a custom food. If you want to get rid of it, just disable it for all mealtimes in SimPE.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 30th Aug 2022 at 8:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
It's not just the memories or the favorite food settings, there's also a number of invisible food-related tokens that get generated, and the game will also generate food-related wants for that food and I don't know of any known safe process of removing something from SWAFs. So yes, you will have errors and problems if you remove a custom food. If you want to get rid of it, just disable it for all mealtimes in SimPE.

You can delete a sim's entire SWAF history in SimPE. It wipes out all of their stored lifetime memories and basically gives them amnesia even though their memory panel looks the same. So if you remove a custom food, you could also remove the food related memories, tokens and delete SWAF histories of every sim who has eaten or prepared that food. And wipe out all gossip too and I think that might be safe but wouldn't guarantee it.

Edit: My Pleasantview developed a serious blank want slot issue which I think came from deleting custom foods, so yeah it can corrupt your game if you just take them out.

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis is a severely disabling neurological, cardiac and metabolic disease.
The Hummingbirds' Foundation for M.E. is fighting for patients to be given recognition and appropriate medical care.
Please visit hfme.org for more information.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 30th Aug 2022 at 9:23 PM
Yeah I would imagine this becoming an issue especially with blank want slots. It would be a slog of going through SimPE trying to fix it. I'd say just be cautious with downloading custom food--is it something you definitely want to have? I am actually the same way; I want to have custom food but I am afraid of not liking it after awhile, deleting it and then having a headache trying to fix it later.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 30th Aug 2022 at 11:55 PM
It is much safer to simply set the food as never being avialble when you click on the fridge or stove, so that glitchy dish simply wont be an option for your sim to cook. Yes the file is still in your game but that is the less harmful choice.

How to disable custom food for all mealtimes https://modthesims.info/t/581640

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#8 Old 31st Aug 2022 at 2:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rielynn71
You can delete a sim's entire SWAF history in SimPE. It wipes out all of their stored lifetime memories and basically gives them amnesia even though their memory panel looks the same. So if you remove a custom food, you could also remove the food related memories, tokens and delete SWAF histories of every sim who has eaten or prepared that food. And wipe out all gossip too and I think that might be safe but wouldn't guarantee it.

Edit: My Pleasantview developed a serious blank want slot issue which I think came from deleting custom foods, so yeah it can corrupt your game if you just take them out.

Yeah, you can do that, but it basically erases the whole life history of the sim. That's not worth it just to remove a food.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Sep 2022 at 12:15 AM
Thanks for your answer everyone