Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 6:02 AM
Default WCIF: Sims File Cop but for Sims 2
Hello,
I don't think this is actually a thing for Sims 2 but i need some help if someone knows a little bit about custom content. There is a program for Sims 1 which detects and removes bad cc and i absolutely love that and am wanting the same for Sims 2 but i dont think it's actually a program if it is pls let me know as i have some broken cc or cc that is questionable ? because they don't show up in my game just as a Sims 2 top and i want to remove it but it's bugging me and i dont really want to go through my hundreds of clothes files just to find the mesh :/ is there a easier way? I mean im having a headache just thinking about it!!!
Thankyou
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2022 at 12:06 AM
No because there are many reasons why CC is not working the way it should. It may not be broken at all. Perhaps it is missing its mesh, missing its recolour or its texture referenced.
I would put on testing cheat and do shift N in body shop and make sure tool tips are showing -change to another area and back if needed. Hover over the item, does this say anything?

You could also take a picture and put it up here.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2022 at 12:34 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 8th Nov 2023 at 3:13 AM.
If the item doesn't have a tooltip, the tooltip tool can be a very useful help in locating stray CAS items with missing meshes. It adds tooltips to CAS recolors (either the filename, or something of your choosing, or filename and description). https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=321239

It's also very useful when you're cleaning up in your CC, or when you want to know where an item is from.

---

For CAS CC, if the CC item is missing a mesh and only has one group, it usually shows as a maxis basegame item. If it's a repo'd/slaved item with a missing master texture (but the mesh is available), the item will usually show up with a "naked" texture on the proper mesh. Repo'd items will also show up like this if the file path for the master files is past 256 characters, because the game can't read the master files (solution is to try to cut down on folders and/or shorten filenames)

If it's an item with multiple groups, it will sometimes show with an invisible texture/mesh (but I think an invisible outfit can happen on other occasions, too). A few things can also cause crashes if you click on borked items or try to go to that section in one of the menus (could be a variety of things, like having the wrong mesh base, or a skeleton issue, or something like that).

If the recolor is missing but the mesh is there, the outfit won't show at all. Meshes without a belonging texture/recolor file don't show at all in CAS/Bodyshop.

Package files from the Project folder also won't show in CAS/Bodyshop (they're templates, not meant to be used outside of a project).

I don't know if a program could be set to figure out all of this automatically. Too many variables with the setup of each type of item and how many things could be wrong, is my guess.

If you can click on it in Bodyshop without causing crashing, and you don't really care which outfit it is, you can delete it directly in Bodyshop. This does not delete the mesh, only the recolor (most likely the mesh is missing anyways).
Forum Resident
#4 Old 8th Nov 2023 at 2:22 AM Last edited by Sims2Maven : 8th Nov 2023 at 2:35 AM.
Some tools to help with these problems:

Delphy's Download Organizer https://modthesims.info/d/227925/de...-june-2017.html Works for everything, including CC clothes
Wardrobe Wrangler (old, but still useful) https://archive.org/details/ts2wardrobewranger Specializes in CC clothes, hair, and accessories

Download Organizer makes a list of everything you have installed, but it tends to assume that recolors based on Maxis meshes are "orphans" when they aren't - it will tell you they are recolors, though.

Wardrobe Wrangler has an option to find and list orphan files, and to quarantine them if necessary - but as with Download Organizer, they aren't always really orphans, so use with caution. What's more immediately useful is keeping a sharp eye on the images as you step through the files - if you get the same picture twice in a row for a file that has a different name, there's something wrong with the second one. (I generally delete them on finding.)