Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Hacked BOOKCASE to learn more skills << UPDATED 03/02/2007 <<

by monique Posted 29th May 2005 at 2:14 PM - Updated 2nd Mar 2007 at 1:27 PM by monique

101 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 95 Feedback Posts, 5 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 5
#26 Old 31st May 2005 at 6:09 AM
Wow, this is great. I always wondered why you couldn't earn the Logic skill from the bookcase...that seems the most obvious!
Instructor
#27 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 12:56 AM
Monique. I have sims 2 without Exansion Packs. Is this different from the environs from which you obtained test results?
Only previous custom bookcase I had was my own failed attempt to do what you have done - I deleted that junk weeks ago.

Another note - I found a collection of oddities - such as buying just a single book. I bought five and get your new menus on every one of them.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 12:56 AM
Hello all.

Firstly, I'd just like to say a big thank you, Monique, because this is a great idea for a hack, and particularly useful in SMALL houses where you don't have room for things like all the different items that give you the seven skills. One bookcase, and you can learn the lot.

Fantastic.

However, I must confess I have not been able to get it to work, same as TortureTheNannies.

I have downloaded BOTH files, and they are both in my Downloads folder - not in sub-folders of it either.

Sadly, however, all my bookcases still only grant access to Cooking, Cleaning and Mechanical.

I wondered if it might only apply to bookcases bought AFTER installing the hack, so I removed a bookcase from the room, and then bought a shiny, brand new replacement... DEFINETELY a maxis default bookcase, I made sure of THAT... but it still gave me no more options than the usual 3.

I then wondered if maybe it would only work if I bought the buyable book, and studied THAT. It was at this point I discovered something unfortunate. The buyable book does not show up anywhere in my Catalogue.

Thanks for the great idea... ...but it sadly doesn't work for me.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 1:02 AM
Yes, you're right, TortureThe Nannies.

It's the book in Weirdo collection isn't it? And yes, it DOES give all seven, while the bookcases do not.

I reckon that perhaps THAT book in the weirdo collection, which I THINK was a maxis "hidden" item that Wintermutaei unlocked, MAY well be at conflict with this hack.

I am given to wonder IF the bookcases hack will work if THAT book is deleted from the Weirdo collection. :confused:

Next time my copy of the Sims 2 isn't running - it's running right now, but I'm typing this on my other PC - I'll backup my Weirdo, and try this out with that book gone.

I'll report back with my findings.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#30 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 3:30 AM Last edited by monique : 1st Jun 2005 at 4:43 AM.
Thraxwhirl, Do you have an EP installed?

Torture, About testing environment, Yes I have EP installed.

Edited:

After I heard that someone tested in Sims 2 w/o EP and I'm curious about what it looks like Sims 2 w/o EP environment as TortureTheNannies reported. So here are what I did:
1. I uninstalled my University Expansion.
2. Launched the game Sims 2.
3. Played about for 2 minutes in Lothario family then save and quit the game.
4. Created "Downloads" folder in my documents...\EA Games\The Sims 2. So it means to say that no other hack there.
5. Copy my MQ_Bookcase_Global hack in downloads folder.
6. Launched the game Sims 2. And I saw all skills in Bookcase.

So, It means to say that this hack should be compatible to both original (w/o EP) and EP.

Maybe other hack is conflicting to it. Try to back up your downloads folder and create a new downloads and load this hack without any other hacks in it and should see all skills in bookcase. Hope these steps gives you an idea.
Test Subject
#31 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 5:49 AM
absolutely wonderful, Monique!!! Thank you!!!
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 7:37 PM
Gaaaahhhhh!!! Monique!!! You went to all that trouble of uninstalling your EP, just so we could all learn extra skills from bookcases? :-O

Oh dear Lord! You shouldn't have. I feel guilty now.

As it happens, yes, I do have EP installed.

I honestly think it may be that book in the Weirdo collection, but I can't find the right file in my collections folder.

I'm going to find the thread containing it, and DL it again, so I have a backup of it. Then I'm going to delete that book or possibly even the entire collection from within the game, and try running the game without it, and I'll see if the bookcases work ok THEN.

Just need to find the right thread.

I'll let you know sometime soon.

I'm sorry you went to all that trouble, Monique - you shouldn't have on MY account - but thank you.

I'll let you know what my findings are. It's the LEAST I could do.
#33 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 10:41 PM
I cant afford the expansion yet..so this is very good to know that it is compatable with just the regular sims2...awsome job and thanks
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 11:32 PM
Well, sadly, Monique, I don't have good news on this.

I removed the Weirdo collection from my game, thus ensruing that book isn't there, and then I quit and reloaded. Unfortunately, the hack still doesn't work, and my bookcases don't grant the option to learn more than the original 3 skills.

I still can't find YOUR buyable book in my catalogue either.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#35 Old 1st Jun 2005 at 11:46 PM Last edited by monique : 2nd Jun 2005 at 12:14 AM.
Thraxwhirl, May I know what version of Sims 2 do you have?

That's weird you have EP and I have EP too, even I uninstalled it, I saw it.

For just testing purposes, can you rename your "my documents/.../EA Games/The Sims 2" to something mabe "The Sims 2 test" then launch the game, your game will automatically will create that folder "The Sims 2", play, quit and save, now you will see in "my documents/.../EA Games" two folders "The Sims 2 test" and "The Sims 2" in "The Sims 2" create downloads folder and place bookcase hack there with no other hacks just this hack. then play it again. Let me know what happen.
To return your back up, just delete "The Sims 2" folder then rename "The Sims 2 test" to "The Sims 2".

I really want to help...I think we should consider your Sims 2 version too. I'm using english (US) version. For I have PM asking my permission to translate it in Spanish.
#36 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 5:56 AM
i think it's a great idea i am curious and maybe they are allready posted somewhere and havent found a pc that connects to the net and can research and get skill points this way also adds to fun at same time Thanks for taking time out to create something useful just downloaded it waiting to test it later
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#37 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 6:01 AM Last edited by monique : 2nd Jun 2005 at 6:23 AM.
Hi, niquel , How about my hacked computer? it has a STUDY feature:
http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=64137
Field Researcher
#38 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 8:46 AM
Hi again Monique. I tried this last night and it worked just fine with the standard bookcases, and my game has the EP. In fact it worked on campus (a Greek House).
Great work.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#39 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 10:35 AM
I'm glad to know that there is someone reported that this hack is working and even on campus, I never tested it there, Thanks dragongly2004.

Maybe the problem with Thraxwhirl, s/he is using english (UK) version, so I uploaded UK translation in version 3. Check it out.
#40 Old 2nd Jun 2005 at 7:24 PM
Cool object.I love it! Thanks! I don't know what can I say more about it! :X
#41 Old 5th Jun 2005 at 7:36 PM
Thanks,Thanks,Thanks, just what I needed, your great.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 7th Jun 2005 at 2:18 PM Last edited by Thraxwhirl : 7th Jun 2005 at 2:59 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by monique
Thraxwhirl, May I know what version of Sims 2 do you have?

That's weird you have EP and I have EP too, even I uninstalled it, I saw it.

For just testing purposes, can you rename your "my documents/.../EA Games/The Sims 2" to something mabe "The Sims 2 test" then launch the game, your game will automatically will create that folder "The Sims 2", play, quit and save, now you will see in "my documents/.../EA Games" two folders "The Sims 2 test" and "The Sims 2" in "The Sims 2" create downloads folder and place bookcase hack there with no other hacks just this hack. then play it again. Let me know what happen.
To return your back up, just delete "The Sims 2" folder then rename "The Sims 2 test" to "The Sims 2".

I really want to help...I think we should consider your Sims 2 version too. I'm using english (US) version. For I have PM asking my permission to translate it in Spanish.

Hello. Yes, Monique, I'll certainly try that out for you today. I'll backup my Ea Games folder first I think, just in case.

FYI, you'd be correct in concluding hat I live in England, UK, so I GUESS that would mean that I'm using an English version too... BUT are you quite sure if there's a seperate English (UK) version of this game from the US one, or do we in Britain get the same one you do?

Afterall, the difference between the two languages is mostly superficial - things like diferent spellings of "colo(u)r" and program(me), and a few infrequent words like "sidewalk"(US) versus "pavement"(UK), "diaper"(US) versus "nappy"(UK) - and since we get so much American TV here in Britain, about 99% of UK adults have NO trouble at all understanding what, for example, Americans mean when you refer to "The Fall", which we would call "Autumn".

Bearing this in mind, I'm inclined to think that the version of the Sims 2 which we get over here is identical to the US version for 2 reasons:

1) Sims can snack on "chips" at the fridge, but we in England would call them "crisps".

2) Sims can buy "cell phones", but in England they would be called "mobile phones".

You see, given that my game very plainly uses American English at every opportunity, I'm given to wonder if Maxis actually created a UK one?

As I say, it's never an issue 'cos nearly all Brits understand US English pretty well(though only a very select few of us have paid sufficient attention to John Madden long enough to know what "Turducken" might be! lol!)... SO, I suspect Maxis may well have given us over here the same version you have over there - cell phones and all - BUT I couldn't swear to it.

:D

Aaaaaaaanyway, I'll try the V3 that you've uploaded, and if THAT doesn't work, then I'll gladly try that little trick you suggested later on today... after I've backed up me folder.

I'll return later and report my findings.

Adam.

Update: By Jove! It does! It works!! Thank you sooooooooooo much!! :D

Well, it would seem that yes indeed, Maxis DID create a separate version for the UK. But I don't understand WHY? :confused: I mean, it uses US English anyway, and not UK English, so why code them independently? Just means more work and it throws up compatability issues as far I can see.

That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Oh well.

Anyway, yes, it now works on my English computer, and I shall of course notify Her Majesty The Queen at once. She'll be terribly thrilled.

I'm just kidding of course.

No, but seriously, thank you ever so much, Monique. It really is a ppreciated, because I know you went to an awful lot of effort to get a universal edition of this hack working - far MORE trouble than I'd have asked.

I really am grateful for what you've done, and I'm especially inclined to afford you a fair old bit of admiration for not having quit at the very begining when - in MY humble opinion - a few of the first responses to this hack were nothing short of RUDE. If I'd been the one who'd come up with osmething like this, and all I'd got were replies saying things like "add" such-and-such skill "and I'll and download it," instead of a far more appropriate and civil "thank you", then I'd have been inclined to give up and do nothing more.

The fact that you didn't do that, in the face of such INgratitude, and moreover that you put in a lot more tireless effort to debug it, really is to your credit.

I for one admire that. And believe me when I tell you that a LOT of Sims on this side of the Atlantic will now be very happy indeed to know that they can study another four skills from the pages of their books.

Many MANY thanks.

Adam.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 9th Jun 2005 at 7:52 AM
Just wanted to say this works FABULOUSLY with the default bookcases......it's wonderful! Thanks so much for eliminating the boring 'stand in front of a mirror' action that I hated so much - lol.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 11th Jun 2005 at 3:09 AM
This reminds me of the bookcases from sims1...I wonder why maxis left some of the skills out.
Test Subject
#45 Old 11th Jun 2005 at 3:25 AM
Thank you, will give it a try tonight.
Test Subject
#46 Old 11th Jun 2005 at 3:59 AM
Can't wait to try this out! Thank you
#47 Old 29th Jun 2005 at 7:48 PM
the hack works great but now it seems that my sims cant use the normal workout machines - i'm not sure if that is connected to this hack but i'm just wondering if its happened to anyone else before!
Field Researcher
#48 Old 29th Jun 2005 at 8:35 PM
I have had no problems, Megmeg31790. I have several lots with work out machines (different kinds) and have not found any problems there.
All I have noticed is that most non-standard bookcases do not show the extra options.
Test Subject
#49 Old 30th Jun 2005 at 2:15 AM
judging from the pic, you need a new graphics card
Test Subject
#50 Old 2nd Jul 2005 at 8:47 AM
why don't u just use this cheat to so you can drag up the skill, relashionship and needs
Page 2 of 5