Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 2:38 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Apartment Life
Default Can't run game, directx error
I recently got a new laptop, and sadly it seems I cannot run the sims 2 on it, instead I get an error saying directx 9 is not compatible with my graphics. I have updated my graphics card, directly from the manufacturer. I also used dx diag, and there are no known errors with directx and my graphics.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 5:05 AM
The directX error is kinda common.

Have you set up GraphicRules? If not, try the GRM program - you are going to need ito set up GraphicRules almost no matter what kind of system you have, since TS2 is a very old game by now, and is by default "incompatible" with most graphic cards/chips, and needs some setup to work. It's no longer being fixed automatically for you, like ten or so years back.
https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker

If that doesn't help, Have you tried running the game in windowed mode? That helped for me (I pretty much gave up on fullscreen).
Forum Resident
#3 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 4:15 PM
I think I had this error once. I fixed it by going into GraphicsRules Maker and setting the Force Texture memory for what my PC could allow. Leaving it on 'Do Not Force,' can cause this error in my experience.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Aug 2021 at 3:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalFlame360
I think I had this error once. I fixed it by going into GraphicsRules Maker and setting the Force Texture memory for what my PC could allow. Leaving it on 'Do Not Force,' can cause this error in my experience.

Tried this, still getting the same error.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#5 Old 11th Aug 2021 at 4:16 AM
If you've already used the Graphics Rule Maker (or made the changes in another way), you may need to run the game in windowed mode. Right click the shortcut on your desktop and click properties. Where you see "target" add -w after .exe, making sure there is a space before the -w.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe" -w is what mine looks like. My game won't run if it's not in windowed mode no matter which changes are made to the graphics rules.
Alchemist
#6 Old 11th Aug 2021 at 5:10 PM
If none of the graphics solutions work, it is possible to get that error in other ways. I sometimes see it when another process is running that, I guess, needs the same resources. You might test by shutting down any other programs that are running to see if that helps.
Scholar
#7 Old 11th Aug 2021 at 11:07 PM
Windows 10 I presume?

It would be helpful to see the actual error message. And if something is in the game loading logs (in "log" folder), though if it is the screen instance failure, the game probably even didn't have a chance to write anything.

DirectX 9c (the game native 32bit library) is still downloadable [ https://www.microsoft.com/pl-pl/dow...ails.aspx?id=35 ] - it does not overwrite nor precedes newer versions if installed. Just invoked only for old games requiring the old API which DX10/11/12 imitates badly.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Sep 2021 at 4:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
Windows 10 I presume?

It would be helpful to see the actual error message. And if something is in the game loading logs (in "log" folder), though if it is the screen instance failure, the game probably even didn't have a chance to write anything.

DirectX 9c (the game native 32bit library) is still downloadable [ https://www.microsoft.com/pl-pl/dow...ails.aspx?id=35 ] - it does not overwrite nor precedes newer versions if installed. Just invoked only for old games requiring the old API which DX10/11/12 imitates badly.

This is the error I'm getting https://imgur.com/a/9FwV2L0, downloading that just gives me an error message saying a newer version of directx has been found, no need to install.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#9 Old 1st Sep 2021 at 8:36 AM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 1st Sep 2021 at 8:29 PM.
So did you try running the game in windowed mode or not? Because I kept getting that same damned error every time I tried to load the game - until I changed it to run in windowed mode.

Edit: If it worked or didn't work to put it in windowed mode, it would be nice to know if your tried it or not. NOT answering questions, NOT trying suggestions isn't going to get you any closer to a working game. And frankly, when someone (anyone, not just you and not just in these forums) doesn't answer people's questions? It makes people not want to help them. Because - why bother helping someone who isn't willing to answer questions or try things that are suggested.