Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

The SCRIPTORIUM: v. 2.2f (BugFix + Radiance 2.4)

by Numenor Posted 26th Sep 2006 at 1:40 AM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:19 PM by Nysha

644 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 613 Feedback Posts, 30 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 26
Test Subject
#51 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 8:20 AM
Thank you so much Numenor, this is fantastic!
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 2:37 PM
This is soooooo cool! Thank you so much!!! I have two questions.

1. Actually, this is just to clarify, if I don't want any changes to the original game lighting I leave the option already selected and it won't change anything.

2. I know it's early yet, but when Pets comes out, will I need to uninstall this before installing a new expansion pack?

Oh, and it's very likely that I'm dense and this question already got answered, but, the modular stairs I have already installed, I can leave them as is, right?

Please have patience with computer idiots like me. LOL! This is too good to pass up and I just want to make sure I don't mess anything up.

Thanks!

Black Holes are where God divided by zero. -Steven Wright
Instructor
#53 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 2:54 PM
I have a Mac and I did the manual installation. It was easy and it works!
I was all shaky at first!

All te previous cc I had (with the manually modified scripts) are there just like before.

Thank you!

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#54 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 5:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LyssaKi
1. Actually, this is just to clarify, if I don't want any changes to the original game lighting I leave the option already selected and it won't change anything.

Yes, exactly. Just leave the default option as they are (all the four script types plus the "Original Maxis lighting system")

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. I know it's early yet, but when Pets comes out, will I need to uninstall this before installing a new expansion pack?

The new EPs should just ignore the scripts located in the base-game folders, but we are talking about Maxis installers
In order to be 100% sure, I'd uninstall the Scriptorium (you *don't* need to remove the custom scripts added into the Scriptorium folders: just uninstall using the Add/Remove panel).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and it's very likely that I'm dense and this question already got answered, but, the modular stairs I have already installed, I can leave them as is, right?

Quote: Originally posted by alexpilgrim
I have a Mac and I did the manual installation. It was easy and it works!
All the previous cc I had (with the manually modified scripts) are there just like before.

FAQ: AFTER INSTALLING THE SCRIPTORIUM, WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH ALL THE STAIRS ETC... PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED "BY HAND"?
You have two options
  1. You can just leave them alone: the "old" custom content will stay in the main script files (modularstairs.txt, fireplaces.txt or walls.txt); if you are tired of a custom object, you must uninstall it "by hand", deleting the related section from the main script.
  2. If you are anal like me, and don't like such "hybrid" installations, you can "convert" all the older custom scripts to the new format:
    • First, uninstall the Scriptorium, to restore the original situation.
    • Open the script file (modularstairs.txt, fireplaces.txt or walls.txt)
    • One by one, CUT the custom sections from the main script and PASTE it into a text file of its own; SAVE the new text file as "NN_CustomName.txt" ("NN" is the unique number written at the beginning of the custom text: e.g. "fireplace 99" or "modularStair 77").
    • Repeat for every custom section, until the main script contains only Maxis definitions.
    • When done, install the Scriptorium, and put each new text file into the proper Scriptorium folder.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#55 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 5:50 PM
Thanks for this tool. Numenor, the benefits you "give" us, from your extensive work, is so appreciated and are wonderful enhancements to the game.

I do have a couple question. I run multiple games on my machine. One is where I do beta testing for a small site. That game needs to remain 100% Maxis. As long as I do not add the "Scriptorium folders" to that game, it will remain unaltered?
Also, if I place these folders in the other games including the creators txt and downloads, I can have the stairs, fireplaces and walls wherever my little heart desires?
I doubt I would be playing this game without the improvements the gang here has given us.
wulfie
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#56 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 7:57 PM
I'm not sure to understand; I, too, run mulyiple games on my machine, but this means only having different "The Sims 2" folders in the Documents (the "clean" environment contains no downloads and anything else, while the other has hacks, mods and so on).

But the game folders is always the same, on my machine, because I always logon to Windows with the same account.
Even if you have multiple accounts, the location of the game executables and libraries (and packages etc...) is only one, because the registry keys are created by the game into the "HKEY_Local_Machine" section of the registry (shared by all the accounts).

That said, everything you change in the game program installation folders will reflect to *all* the multiple games. If you need a really 100% Maxis-only game, you can't install the Scriptorium, the CEP, the Radiance (just to mention the most known mod that modify the game folders and files).

The Scriptorium, infact, beside creating the new folders (that are just ignored by a Maxis-only game), appends a custom line to the original script files: modularstairs.txt, fireplaces.txt, walls.txt and lighting.txt.
And these script files are shared by all the alternate games you run on your machine, as well the four "Scriptorium_..." folders.

So, if you are concerned of keeping intact the original Maxis files, including the scripts, then don't install any of the mentioned mod (well, the CEP is safe: it only adds, doesn't modify).

Keep in mind that - with or without the Scriptorium installed, if you install a custom modular stair into your "full" game, and then replace the entire "The Sims 2" folder in the Documents with a "clean" one, you will still have the custom script for the modular stair in the game (with the Scriptorium installed: a txt file in the Scriptorium folder; without the scriptorium, a custom section into the modularstairs.txt).

My suggestion to have an alternate "clean" game: install the Scriptorium and always use the new method, when installing custom content (i.e. putting a separate txt file into the proper Scriptorium folder). When you need to run the "clean" game, uninstall the scriptorium, swap the "Sims 2" folder in the Documents, play the clean game; then restore the "full" Sims2 folder in the Documents and install again the Scriptorium.

This way, when you uninstall the scriptorium, the custom definitions for the stairs are not physically removed, but nevertheless they will NOT be read any more by the game.
When you install again the Scriptorium, your custom scripts will be available again in your game.

What I said above, probably answers to your second question: you CAN'T move the Scriptorium folder in any other location (i mean the actual folders, not the shortcuts located in your Downloads); if you do, they won't be read any more by the game when loading.
And you can't copy those folders to another machine, because without a proper installation, they will be ignored by the game.
NOTE: Moving those folders to another game on the same machine is a nonsense, after what I've explained above.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#57 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 1:33 AM
I didn't see an answer to my question on this thread or on Radiance's -- Do I need to uninstall the Radiance mod before I can install the Scriptorium with Radiance? The reason I wanted to use the Radiance with Scriptorium is that you said it might support custom lights. Or do you think I should just leave well enough alone and install Scriptorium without Radiance?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#58 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 2:24 AM
Sorry, I didn't read your question.

You can just install the Scriptorium over the Radiance (install the same Radiance version, of course). Only, before installing the Scriptorium, restore the original lighting.txt; otherwise, in case of uninstallation, the old Radiance lighting.txt would be restored, but all the rest of the mod would be gone.

Lab Assistant
#59 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 5:41 AM
hey numenor, firstly i'd like to say i think your a star.. this is brilliant.. but i have one little problem, i use a bigger drive (D) for the game and my documents, when i installed this it put the folders into the games scripts directory, but nothing in my downloads folder.. i'm i right in believing that i can just copy these folders over my self.
cheers annie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons
for you are crunchy and taste good with katchup.
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 6:36 AM
Thanks for answering my questions Numenor! I do have one more. When I installed the Scriptorium I left the "Original Maxis Lighting System" selected. Was it supposed to generate a folder titled "Custom Lights" on the C drive with a short cut in the Downloads folder ??? There's one there. If it's supposed to be there, what's it for???

Thanks!

Black Holes are where God divided by zero. -Steven Wright
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#61 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 10:11 AM
LissaKiIn the C root, you mean? No, the folder should be named "Scriptorium_CustomLights", and should be located in you GAME installation folder, into "EA Games\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Lights" (i.e. the same path where is located the "lighting.txt" file).

The Scriptorium_CustomLight folser is supposed to be created even if you select "Maxis Lights": it is only the support for the custom lights (needed for lamps too), but does not change the appearance of the game.

If the Scriptorium_CustomLights folder is misplaced, please tell me exactly:
  • the path to your GAME folder (C:\Program Files\EA Games? Or different path?)
  • If possible, the following values read from the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\The Sims 2:
    • DisplayName
    • InstallDir
    • Language

Lab Assistant
#62 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 10:27 AM
Numenor, your genius of a brain couldnt stop impressing me Got a question though, has anyone seen a tutorial on how to make new meshes for modular stairs and fences? (Apologies if I sound lost, but ive searched everywhere and couldn't find any, its worth an ask )
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#63 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 12:28 PM
As for the modular stairs, there's not a specific tutorial: it's just like any other object, save the fact that it has 10 different meshes, that need to be modified at once.
The difference is that the modular stairs need that special text file to work: just copy the text from one of the existing stairs, and change the GUIDs with your own.

Regarding the fences, I need to clear up one thing.
The scriptorium creates a folder "Walls-Fences-Arches", but the "fences" it refers to are NOT the custom fences created so far by the users.
The "Scriptorium fences" are the tools used by the game to draw a fence (like with walls: e.g. my "unleveled wall" is not a wallpaper, but a wall that acts differently than the Maxis one). So far, no one has ever created a custom "fence tool".

You are probably talking of the many custom fences created by the users: all of them have been created using THIS TUTORIAL, and they don't need the Scriptorium to work.

Instructor
#64 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 1:07 PM
I just made my own .txt files for all the previous modular stairs and fireplaces I had, placed them in the shortcut folders, and it works!

I feel so clever!

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#65 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 1:42 PM
You are!

Test Subject
#66 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 4:58 PM
Hey Numenor
I need help with another download you posted a long time ago last year in april called Lost and Found waterfall or something similar. anyway, i need help downloading it! i mean, i downloaded it, but it doesn't work please help :question mark:
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#67 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 5:39 PM
JRS, you have posted this very question on the Radiance thread 5 hours ago, and I've replied to you (LINK).
Then, 40 minutes ago, instead of reading my reply, you have posted the same question on the Waterfall thread.
Now, you have posted the same here.

Be warned: this is considered a bad behaviour, and you may get an official warning for that. Asking for help in the proper threads is more than legitimate (actually, it's welcome), but spamming other threads is quite annoying.

Lab Assistant
#68 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 6:23 PM
Can you active the Q-Xpress ?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#69 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 6:50 PM
Nope. The Q-Xpress automatically installs the files in the Downloads, and this installer DOESN'T go in the downloads.
But it's a ZIP: you should be able to open it without problems.

Instructor
#70 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 7:37 PM
Thank you Numenor, I just followed your instructions!

I love this, I had to remove a fireplace because it was conflicting with one of maxi's and it was so easy!

Test Subject
#71 Old 1st Oct 2006 at 11:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
JRS, you have posted this very question on the Radiance thread 5 hours ago, and I've replied to you (LINK).
Then, 40 minutes ago, instead of reading my reply, you have posted the same question on the Waterfall thread.
Now, you have posted the same here.

Be warned: this is considered a bad behaviour, and you may get an official warning for that. Asking for help in the proper threads is more than legitimate (actually, it's welcome), but spamming other threads is quite annoying.

Sorry, i just wanted an answer apoligies didn't mean to spam

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Test Subject
#72 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 4:10 AM
A great BIG thank you for ALL the effort you must have put into this and all your other projects that benefit the Sims community. I have said this before and I say it again: Maxis owes you guys so much, if it wasn't for the custom content, my original game of the Sims2 would certainly be collecting dust, all by itself, without any expansions (coz I would heve never bought them). It would be interesting to do a research project to find out, how many players would continue to play the game in the state Maxis released it. I for one installed the game, played one afternoon, said thanks to whoever gave it to me and that was the end of it, uninstalled it and played my other games. BUT THEN: I stumbled upon ModtheSims2.com saw what can be done and the rest is gistory. Now I own every expansion pack and I purchased Holiday and Glamour off the Maxis website (in Australia it takes ages b4 we get them).
Has Maxis ever acknowledged the fact that you guys and girls (Creators) generate big bucks for them by doing the work you do for free? I sure hope so!
Thank you again from the bottom of my heart!

That's all for today folks ... thanx for your attention!
Marianne Alpert
Test Subject
#73 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 6:38 AM
Default Can't find the folders
I just downloaded this using the automatic installer. I didn't change any settings. I'm using windows XP. I can't find the folders you said were supposed to be here. I've looked all over my downloads folder and the game files. There are no icons and nothing labeled scriptorium.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#74 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 9:11 AM
Run again the installer, with the same settings.
Be sure to run it using the same Windows account that you use to play.

If still doesn't work, please tell me these things:
1) the exact path to your Downloads folder
2) the exact path to the game program folder (usually C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2)
3) The language of your Windows and of your game.

Thanks

Test Subject
#75 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 1:36 AM
Ok, I got it to work. Not sure if I was just missing the files in my downloads folder or it it was that I used IE instead of Firefox this time. It worked. Thanks for the response.
Page 3 of 26