Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 4:16 AM
Default sims 3 meshtoolkit for objects?
Is there such a thing as meshtoolkit for objects? In that I mean meshtoolkit for clothes can add bones/rig/joint back in, but when I need to use milkshape3d on an object to reduce poly count it loses the bones/rig/joint, so is there something like meshtoolkit to add them back from a reference mesh or do I need to do it manually? If so, how can I do it cleanly. I've done it a bit before but it seems like where in the original mesh is a straight line for weight mine is more.... wavy so to speak.
Advertisement
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#2 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 2:03 PM
You can actually use meshtoolkit for objects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja0UMrUPgCY here's a video tutorial for converting functional mattresses to ts3, and meshtoolkit is used because beds (specifically the mattress part has really complex bones).
However, most objects don't have that many bones, with a lot of them only having 1 (decor objects, tables, chairs...) so it's often easier to do it manually, by selecting the parts of the mesh to assign, and assigning the bone to it. I've never used weight paints, or basically anything with different weights assigned for bones, but I think with objects it's just a matter of assigning it 100% to the bone required
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Nov 2021 at 3:48 PM Last edited by t888 : 26th Nov 2021 at 4:13 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
You can actually use meshtoolkit for objects: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja0UMrUPgCY here's a video tutorial for converting functional mattresses to ts3, and meshtoolkit is used because beds (specifically the mattress part has really complex bones).
However, most objects don't have that many bones, with a lot of them only having 1 (decor objects, tables, chairs...) so it's often easier to do it manually, by selecting the parts of the mesh to assign, and assigning the bone to it. I've never used weight paints, or basically anything with different weights assigned for bones, but I think with objects it's just a matter of assigning it 100% to the bone required

lol, funnily enough, a bed is what I was hoping I could use it for, precisely because of all those bones. Out of curiosity, can it be used on a car (a future project I've thought about doing)? Thanks for the link. I'll get to watching it.