Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Postcards Galore! *UPD 05 Nov 2008*

by MaryLou & Numenor Posted 20th Nov 2007 at 12:55 AM - Updated 4th May 2014 at 2:37 PM by leefish : fix broken images

198 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 189 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 5 of 8
Mad Poster
#101 Old 25th Nov 2007 at 11:38 AM
Don't worry MaryLou, they are your textures that I altered BUT never had any intention of uploading them. They are just for my personal use.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Lab Assistant
#102 Old 25th Nov 2007 at 3:18 PM
Whoops, sorry, I just EXPLODE when I see an English sentence in the Sims 2, unless:

A: It's a real-life brand
B: Maxis did it.
Test Subject
#103 Old 25th Nov 2007 at 11:07 PM
Hi, I must say you two did a wonderful job! I must say though that my sim wasn't able to buy any postcards because everyone wouldn't stop crowding it like they were addicted and would die if they didn't see it at all times. Pretty much the same problem everyone else is having.
Although I see it is compatible with all expansion packs I will still tell you which I have. I have the base game, university, open for business and pets. I have no stuff packs.
Field Researcher
#104 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 3:32 AM
This is fantastic! Thank you both so much!
Alchemist
#105 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 12:17 PM
Just wanted to note that I haven't found the postcards to be excessively attractive in my game. I have them in a small tourist shop, owned by my sim, along with a couple of clothes racks. The customers use both types of merchandise. I have up to Seasons, missing Pets.

Thanks so much.
Test Subject
#106 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 8:31 PM
you two are simply amazing.......
Field Researcher
#107 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 10:00 PM
This truly is unbelievable.
Why couldn’t Maxis have made something like this for us!
Wait-a-minute! I know!
Getting this for the both of you - I know it will work
moreover, if there is a problem I know you two will fix’s it!!
Thank you so very much MaryLou and Numenor for sharing your
remarkably made 'Postcards Galore.

*´)
..·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´Platinum*¨)¸;*
Field Researcher
#108 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 10:29 PM
I'm having the same problem as everyone else in that the sims are excessively attracted to the racks. They won't do anything else but browse the racks. I'm going to remove them from my lots until they're fixed. They're ruining my Sim's vacations.
Field Researcher
#109 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 12:14 PM
I wonder if having Pets installed is what makes the racks too attractive, since some of us are having the problem and others aren't having it at all.

Oh, isn't there some way to convince the game that an OFB home business lot can have these postcards? OH well, but I really want to be able to put these in a home business....
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MaryLou
The racks can be bought only in non-residential lots;

oh pooh...the way the SUN hoods are set up, the (for example) visitors center that I was going to put the rack in is a residential home business. Or am I reading it wrong, so that you cant put them on a regular home lot, but can if you are a home based business?
Field Researcher
#111 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 8:43 PM
I've been looking and looking for some way to put them in a home based business, Aurelia, and no luck so far.

I've built a lot called Joe's Postcards and put it on Twikkii Island. It's quite simple. The ground floor has a Coke machine, a men's room and a ladies' room including showers, chess, a hula area, and beach access. The upper floor is supported by columns and not enclosed by walls, and is all post cards, cash registers, souveniers and T-shirt racks. It's a very effective lot indeed.

If it were easy to fix the attractiveness I think it would have been done by now. I can live with it as it is--in fact I'm still quite pleased with them and wouldn't necessarily download another set if they'd overwrite these. I just won't set them up so they compete with other high-interest things on the lot, although they might be of use to decoy a surplus of townies away from whatever you want your playable Sims to be doing. I don't know.

Just keep it in mind when you use them that browsing these can be overpowering to the Sims, so put plenty of space around them, and easy access to stairs and doorways that doesn't depend on other people moving out of the way.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#112 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 10:22 PM
Default * Update! *
27 NOV 2007 - UPDATE

What's new:
  • Postcard Showcase - Description: Now the Italian description is shown only for the Italian players; all the others will get the regular English description.
  • Postcard Showcase - Catalog placement: For consistency with the other pieces of the set, now the Showcase can be found in the same catalog section as the racks themselves, i.e. Misc/Misc (normal catalog) or Shopping/Misc (Community catalog).
  • Postcard Racks - Spontaneous purchases: Though no one so far realized this, the racks actually had a bug that prevented the townies to spontaneously buy postcards while in community lots or exotic destinations (they purchased correctly only in OFB shops); now this bug has been fixed, and the townies will correctly pick a postcard from the rack and go to the cash register.
  • Postcard Racks - Attractiveness: The sims are no more obsessed by the racks, and won't go on browsing endlessly; also, when they buy a postcard, they are not forced any more to immediately go back to the rack.
    This has been by far the most difficult bug to fix: the problem (that affects all the objects, including the Maxis ones) is that it's hard to find a "balance" between the attractiveness of different objects: if you put a clothing rack in the same lot with a musical instrument, the sims will just ignore the clothing rack. So, we had to think of an "alternate solution", and we eventually managed to tweak the Postcard Racks so that their attractiveness is the same regardless the Fun advertised by the surrounding objects. It's virtually impossible to perfectly "balance" the attractiveness of an object with a clothing rack and with a musical instrument, but more or less, we managed to do that .
  • Postcard Racks - Residential Lots: Though we designed these racks to mainly be used in exotic destinations and community/commercial lots, we decided to comply with some users' requests, and enabled them for the residential lots, too. Now they can be placed in your homes, so that you can start a home business (we can't think to any different "residential" usage for them )

If you need to contact us, PM directly to "Numenor" or "MaryLou".

Please visit our sites: www.marylousims2.it and www.numenor-moddings.com
Scholar
#113 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 11:10 PM
This is really a wonderful job !!! How a touristic location without postcards ? Again an amazing addition to the game!! Bravo no BRAVISSIMO you two !!!
And congrats for this highly deserved featuring. :D

All of nature is within us and we are part of all nature (Chief White Cloud)
Alchemist
#114 Old 27th Nov 2007 at 11:58 PM
Thanks for the update (although I hadn't noticed the issues). Do we just download a replacement showcase, or all of the files?
Field Researcher
#115 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 12:10 AM
Please, re-downloads all the files

@aelflaed: I think you have not noticed the issues because yours is a commercial lots ( you have said "I have them in a small tourist shop, owned by my sim" and not a community one.

If you like my creations, you may consider to make a little donation to support my site and my modding activity.
MaryLou's Sims 2 World - MaryLou Sims 2 Forum (Italiano)
Alchemist
#116 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 1:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MaryLou
Please, re-download all the files

@aelflaed: I think you have not noticed the issues because yours is a commercial lots ( you have said "I have them in a small tourist shop, owned by my sim" and not a community one.

Yes, it's an OFB lot. And thanks again!
Scholar
#117 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 4:20 AM
this is greak...love the fix! thanks

(and on a unrelated not...can u make a global mod so caffe bars in uni are no longer sim magnets?!)
Mad Poster
#118 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 8:17 AM
Thank you for the update! Now my post office can be fully functional.
Field Researcher
#119 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 11:19 AM Last edited by Silky-M : 28th Nov 2007 at 1:24 PM.
I'm dazzled by the fix and I will download it. I never did find the showcase! So I'm glad you fixed that before I seriously set out to use that part of the set.

Great job!
Field Researcher
#120 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 12:03 PM
Thanks so much for the fix. Can't wait to try them out in my home businesses.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#121 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 2:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Silky-M
I'm dazzled by the fix and I will download it. I never did find the showcase! So I'm glad you fixed that before I seriously set out to use that part of the set.

Don't worry, in any case you wouldn't had any problem, because the Showcase is absolutely optional (the postcards can be placed directly on the wall), and it can be added even after you have finished placing the postcards on the wall: the showcase will automatically place itself between the cards and the wall, without moving the cards.

Quote: Originally posted by sim~obsessor
can u make a global mod so caffe bars in uni are no longer sim magnets?!

The problem exist in the newer EPs, too, not only in UNI... However, we are sure that there is already such a global fix: if you can't find it here at MTS2, try at moreawsomethanyou.

Space Pony
#122 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 4:30 PM
That is very neat. Great job.
Field Researcher
#123 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 7:19 PM
After checking the files with SimPe, I found that the postcards themselves are not recolorable and each postcard has it's own mesh file and recolor. Only the racks and the postcards on the rack mesh are recolorable. Therefore, I assume, that to get more postcard choices, the postcard mesh would have to be cloned and a new texture applied to it. Is this agreeable with your redistribution policy? If not, how can I get more postcard choices?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#124 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 10:29 PM
It's not possible to "add" new postcards to a rack by cloning the existing postcards; each rack has its own set of postcards, that can't be modified, or the rack may have problems. For the same reason, the single postcards are not recolourable at all.

As for cloning the racks or the postcards, we have already explained - in the main post and in the catalog descriptions themselves - that it's forbidden.
Of course, as we said to Menaceman in post #100, it IS allowed to edit or alter the textures of the racks and the postcards, as long as you do that for personal use ONLY and never share with anyone the modified objects.

Mad Poster
#125 Old 28th Nov 2007 at 10:40 PM
I just redownloaded and noticed that the new packs don't contain the diagonal mesh for the postcards showcase. Do we still need it?
Page 5 of 8