Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Nov 2021 at 3:23 PM Last edited by Softlism : 27th Nov 2021 at 3:52 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default [2021] Looking for a new laptop that's compatible with TS2, but need some help with selecting specs
I've browsed some threads here, and I've picked some laptops myself during a search. However, I understood from @Sims2Maven that I should look for dedicated GPUs if I want to make the laptop last longer when playing TS2 with tons of CCs and maximum aesthetic settings.

What are your thoughts about the specs of these laptops? (links are in Dutch, but I hope that they will be properly translated via Google)
1) https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/170.../specificaties/ -- GeForce MX450
2) https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/154...81y40044mh.html -- GeForce GTX 1650 Ti, but I don't know what the differences are between the various GeForce card types and which one I should get at least
3) ETA: here an overview of Lenovo gaming laptops: https://www.coolblue.nl/laptops/gam...,1256000000001-
4) ETA 2: https://www.mediamarkt.nl/nl/catego...rt=&view=&page=

I don't play other games aside from TS2 atm, so for me, it's important to have plenty of internal disk space (at least 1 TB) and be able to play TS2 with a lower risk of crashes. Regarding price, max ~€1500

Currently, I play TS2 on 4 GB RAM, but it's just incompatible with the 4 GB patch, so I struggle with crashing/pink-flashing now and then.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 1st Dec 2021 at 9:33 PM
Those are all fine. The 1650 ti is better and if you can, you should get that one. The major issue you'll face with these are compatibility issues because of the age of the game. Sometimes people just can't solve those problems for whatever reason, but there are a lot of people, including @andrewgloria who are using a NVIDIA 1650 ti to play Sims.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Dec 2021 at 9:43 PM
@omglo thanks for your thoughts. What compatibility issues could be happening? Currently, I play TS2 on Lenovo Yoga 530, which is not made for gaming, but the only problem I encountered so far is lack of RAM (occasional crashing/pink-flashing, in particular after loading CAS CCs)
Alchemist
#4 Old 1st Dec 2021 at 10:21 PM
The usual things that can be fixed with the graphics rules or Dxvk or running the game in windowed mode. Problems with the resolution, pink flashing, crashes etc. Most of the times people can find a solution, but a few people just can't get it to work even after trying the usual solutions. One thing I forgot to look at on your links is the monitor refresh rate. Some players have been having trouble with screens that have a 144hz refresh rate, and I don't think we have a reliable fix for that issue yet.
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 10:38 AM
@omglo Should the screen refresh rate be lower or higher than 144 Hz?
Alchemist
#6 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 12:24 PM
You're looking for a 60 hz refresh rate.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 26th Jan 2022 at 7:38 AM
[QUOTE=Softlism]@omglo thanks for your thoughts. What compatibility issues could be happening? Currently, I play TS2 on Lenovo Yoga 530, which is not made for gaming, but the only problem I encountered so far is lack of RAM (occasional crashing/pink-flashing, in particular after loading CAS CCs)[/QUOTE

Depending on the age of your laptop - I think if RAM is the only issue, you could perhaps try to just increase the RAM to 8 or 16 GB?
Of course, you may need to buy a new laptop for a variety of reasons, but just a suggestion from me.
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Jan 2022 at 4:49 PM
@Justpetro thanks for the suggestion, but I want to buy a new laptop anyhow due to the need for more internal disk space and a bigger screen size (I'm aware of external drives, but still)
Scholar
#9 Old 29th Jan 2022 at 7:01 PM
Which Yoga it is? I am aware that this series (Y) was built as an attempt to follow the guide of 'The Apple's atrocities against consumers and hardware' but earlier versions (4GB would suggest that) were still able to get simple upgrades (drive and RAM). It might be more complicated - Yoga series were mode delicate and fancy - than normal Lenovo stuff from the era, though, but still doable for any person with at last 3 bars in the "screwdriver" skill.

Each of the listed machines are a serious overkill for the game, but I suppose that the game alone is not the entire motivation (you are using the machine for other stuff, too; right?) 4GB with W10 is a very low amount of RAM nowadays. The browser alone (I am looking at you Chrome) will eat this with no time.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Inventor
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Feb 2022 at 5:40 PM
@ElaineNualla currently I play TS2 on Yoga 530, but it's from my parent because my own laptop is almost full in disk space (pictures stored in Clouds, but I prefer having offline access to my media as well; temporarily stored TV shows that aren't on Netflix). Since I don't want to be concerned about disk space (even though I know it's extendable with a external drive) and want a bigger screen for Simming and Photoshopping at home, I want to have a bigger laptop with 1 TB disk space anyhow. (I bought my laptop during a time I was traveling a lot by public)
Currently, I use Firefox but I rather close it when I want to play.

So now I'm torn between IdeaPad 5 Pro 16" and Legion 5 Pro 16" (see attached picture). The Legion 5 has a higher refresh rate of 165 Hz while the IdeaPad has 60 Hz. @omglo , if I understood your latest reply correctly, is the higher the refresh rate, the bigger the change of having screen issues during gameplay? I only read about 144 Hz in your reply.

I hope the specs are readable, despite the Dutch titles.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#11 Old 1st Feb 2022 at 7:11 PM
I've only read about people having issues with the 144 refresh rate. I would imagine it would be the same problem with an even higher refresh rate. I wouldn't buy a sims 2 laptop with a refresh rate that's not 60. Do some research though, because someone may have come up with a solution to the refresh rate issue.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 1st Feb 2022 at 7:55 PM
If this helps you at all, my current computer is an older-generation version of Lenovo IdeaPad with 8GB of RAM and (after performing 4gb patch and making sure that the game was recognizing the correct graphics card) I experience minor lag on large lots but never seen any pink-flashing.

ETA: My downloads folder is about 4gb of cc but in the past it's been higher on this same machine with no issues.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 1st Feb 2022 at 8:00 PM
The issue I believe many have had is not being able to access higher resolutions on >60Hz displays. However, programs such as Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) are able to fix that.
Inventor
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Feb 2022 at 9:08 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I will go for an Ideapad with 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SDD, and 4 GB graphics card.

However, on two different webshops, the laptop is sold with different NVIDIA graphic cards, of which one is of the integrated type (NVIDIA GeForce MX450), which is not recommended even for TS2. But does anyone know if the GeForce GTX 1650 version is integrated or dedicated? I couldn't find clear answers immediately through a quick google search.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 1st Feb 2022 at 11:06 PM
Both MX450 and GTX 1650 are dedicated graphics cards, but I believe MX450 is exclusive to laptops. If you have the option, go for GTX 1650, it is more powerful.
Inventor
Original Poster
#16 Old 1st Feb 2022 at 11:23 PM
@mate54 good to know! Nevertheless, it's confusing that this webshop mentioned the MX450 is a "Shared" a.k.a. Integrated type of graphics card.
Inventor
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Feb 2022 at 7:19 PM
@omglo & @ElaineNualla any additional thoughts about MX450 vs GTX 1650 regarding graphic cards?
Alchemist
#18 Old 6th Feb 2022 at 7:46 PM
I agree with mate that the 1650 is the better card, and that's the one I would choose if I were you. Both will be okay for Sims 2. You have to look at other considerations - your price range (I assume the MX450 is cheaper) and your goal for this computer. If you currently are or think you could become interested in a more demanding game or doing anything like photo or video editing/3d modeling etc. you'll appreciate having a more robust card.

The hierarchy would be integrated graphics at the bottom, then a step above would be the MX series, then the GTX series of cards.