Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 6:29 PM
Default What language do you play The Sims in?
This is something I have often wondered: do people generally use the localized translations, or do they play their games in original English? Is spending money on localizations to small languages like Swedish really worth it?

I play all my games in English, but for my children (5 and 9) I chose to install in Swedish. All the content is there, but some of the humor is lost.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 31st Mar 2010 at 1:55 PM
Swedish for me too.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Mar 2010 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DisneyPrinses
i'm American, but i'm learning Swedish & i sometimes play the game in Swedish. :D

That's so great! I always get a bit excited when I hear of people from other countries learning Swedish - since why would they? It's a tiny language! Why not learn something useful?

(Except I once asked a girl from the Czech Republic why she had spent years and years at the University of Prague, then at Mälardalens Högskola, first learning, then perfecting her Swedish. She gave me such a chewing out: our incredible literary heritage! Our cutting edge science community! The sheer beauty of our language! And of course, the absolute lack of authorized Czech-Swedish translators and the paygrade of such rare fish...)

What made you choose Swedish?
Inventor
#4 Old 27th May 2010 at 6:26 PM
I play it in Norwegian, but I mostly prefer to watch movies or play games with English subtitles (as long as they are not original Norwegian).
.. and if I'm really in the mood for it I work on my Italian by choosing that.
Test Subject
#5 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 6:15 PM
i love to play it in English only as i do not know any other language

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 17th Jun 2010 at 11:06 PM
I am studying Swedish and once I changed the language into Swedish but the letters å, ä, ö didn't display correctly, which was annoying, so I changed the language back to English.
Test Subject
#7 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 3:52 PM
findish
Test Subject
#8 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 6:07 AM
I play sims in norwegian, because I'm to used to it to switch now.
But I read manga in english, books in english, watch asian dramas with english subtitles (since I don't understand what they say in japanese,chinese or korean xD) and tv shows like "castle" in english online without any sub in any language.

I end up seeing every movie which has a speaking-language-option at least once in both norwegian and english since my friends higly dislike watching animated movies in the orginal language, and I dislike watching a dubbed movie xD
The only dubs I can watch without hitting my head into the wall is all the disney clasics I grew up with and "tre nøtter og askepott"

Sorry, my english isn't the best!

Proud Cassiopeian, Triple S and V.I.P.
Why? Because only asian boys can make me blush, fan-squeal, nosebleed, laugh, and melt at the same time!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 6:21 AM
I think I've always played the Sims games in English, something feels not quite right in the Norwegian installations.
Quote: Originally posted by IrisNnug
The only dubs I can watch without hitting my head into the wall is all the disney clasics I grew up with and "tre nøtter og askepott"
Are we talking about the same movie? Because the Norwegian dub of this seriously freaks me out - all I hear is a man with severe Multiple Personality Disorder xD

Well I can't look under the hood but nothing will erase the joy of gunning townies down in front of City Hall - suzetter
Test Subject
#10 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 9:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SchiZohybrid
Are we talking about the same movie? Because the Norwegian dub of this seriously freaks me out - all I hear is a man with severe Multiple Personality Disorder xD

Skriver dette i norsk siden ingen som ikke forstår norsk ikke har noe forhold til dubbinga uansett
Ja, det hørerst ganske sykt ut når det er EN person som dubber alle stemmene. Og der er ikke noe pluss at de "glemte" og fjerne de orginale stemmene. MEN: Hadde det blitt det samme om de nå skulle dubbe den på ny? Nope, juleaften er ikke det samme uten å irritere seg grønn over en latterlig dårlig dubbing Derfor liker jeg den!

Proud Cassiopeian, Triple S and V.I.P.
Why? Because only asian boys can make me blush, fan-squeal, nosebleed, laugh, and melt at the same time!
Inventor
#11 Old 8th Jul 2010 at 12:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by IrisNnug

I totally agree with you here! "Tre nøtter til Askepott" has to be watched in Norwegian with that male voice dubbing every single character. Hahaha.. and as well Disney Movies. But when it comes to most cartoons it really doesn't matter, cos the lip sync doesn't match any language. Cartoons are to be dubbed for whatever language you speak. I mean, when we are five we most likely don't speak English in Scandinavia.
Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#12 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 2:58 PM
I play it in Swedish. Some of the translations are horrible and that really bugs me, but I'm too used to it now to switch to English; I wouldn't know how to navigate. Otherwise, I always choose English when that's the original language of something, be it book, film, comic...

I'm not too keen on dubs, but thankfully, we only dub animated films (and films for really small children) here, and I can live with that.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 9:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by malfoya
I play it in Norwegian, but I mostly prefer to watch movies or play games with English subtitles (as long as they are not original Norwegian).
.. and if I'm really in the mood for it I work on my Italian by choosing that.

Just had to say that I love your profile pic and name lol :DDDDD
I'm from Sweden, used to play with Swedish subtitles but since I downloaded a career that claimed English subtitles, I've been playing that instead.
Inventor
#14 Old 12th Aug 2010 at 11:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lollopisemis
Just had to say that I love your profile pic and name lol :DDDDD

Thank you ^^ It has become my alias on forums over the years. I think I've called myself that for 5 years or so now :O
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 19th Aug 2010 at 9:40 PM
Since I started playing The Sims when was about 8 years old (and I didn't know a lot of English back then), I always play it in Swedish out of pure habit.

Speaking of The Sims(1), I just installed it on my little sister's computer and then played it a bit with her. Ah, nostalgia. Even my mom said she remembered the music playing in the background when she heard us playing it.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 24th Oct 2010 at 12:43 PM
I play my game in Swedish because I'm from Sweden
Test Subject
#17 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 1:38 PM
:))
I play dutch :P
Test Subject
#18 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 10:25 AM
Default Norwegian
I play the game in norwegian and english alltho I'm swedish. I have lived in Norway for some yrs now. I agree with that some of the humoristic aspects of the game gets lost in translation ..

sim on peeps!
Test Subject
#19 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 2:38 PM
I play in Finnish.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 2nd May 2011 at 1:07 AM
I'm a finn but play my game in english. I have lots of reasons for that. The most important one is the learning part. I think sims has improved my english so much. What an great excuse for playing Actually, english makes things more interesting. For example I don't like watching movies which are dubbed into finnish or even with finnish subtitles. Everything must be in english. I just go so mad if I realize that I have bought a DVD without english subtitles..

Yeah, I agree. I think the game just isn't just that funny if it is not in english. Although, I think that finnish translation can be quite good. I played sims 2 for a while in finnish and I found it pretty good.
Test Subject
#21 Old 15th May 2011 at 10:57 AM
I play my game in finnish It would be too difficult for me to play in english :'D
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 15th May 2011 at 11:03 AM
Well I am from Sweden but the Swedish translation is one of the worst game translations I have ever seen. Liksom, särskrivningarna på kaffemaskinen, och alla andra översättningsfel... So I play the game in English.
Test Subject
#23 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 3:11 PM
Danish :P
Test Subject
#24 Old 20th Sep 2011 at 2:00 PM
Swedish
Test Subject
#25 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 12:02 PM
Swedish. I don't know why I installed it in Swedish, I usually prefer to have everything in English, and now I'm just too lazy to re-install everything. Or is there any other way to change the language?

Page 1 of 2