Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Apr 2019 at 5:57 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default What exactly is boolProp UseShaders ?
I tried to google this but i don't know what it is! I am suppose to place boolProp UseShaders false into my startup files but i don't understand exactly what it does. When I put it in my game my game pauses a little but nothing changes....im afraid that its a bug?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Apr 2019 at 7:13 AM
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...aps_and_Shaders

Putting it in false will turn shaders off. You will find fish disappear from your ponds and other things, such as the water mod won't work. I would not use that cheat unless you have to.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Apr 2019 at 7:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...aps_and_Shaders

Putting it in false will turn shaders off. You will find fish disappear from your ponds and other things, such as the water mod won't work. I would not use that cheat unless you have to.

Thank you so much....i turned it to "false" and it really slowed down my game...sims were lagging all over the place. Definitely not going to use it! Thanks for the link as well! I googled boolProp UseShaders and nothing came up on google. Kinda weird how all the sims stuff just disappears
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Apr 2019 at 7:27 AM
It may have been mentioned as another weapon against the dreaded pink flashing. I think I used it for a bit (had no pink flashing at all) then realized all my pond water was black and had to troubleshoot it. Lol turned out to be that cheat. Odd it gave you lag since it turns things off it should improve performance.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 22nd Apr 2019 at 9:50 AM
I think that it's really meant for older hardware that would have trouble handling the shaders. I don't think that modern machines would need to have it turned off. There apparently is (or was) an issue with some Nvidia cards that couldn't handle Sims 2 shaders and users with those cards had to disable shaders to get the game to run at all.

http://sims-player.blogspot.com/
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 24th Apr 2019 at 8:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
I don't think that modern machines would need to have it turned off.

I so wish that I wouldn't need that awful cheat. Tried everything what I could find, here, and on the LeeFish forum. But my games keeps flashing pink. Not only a bit, or sometimes, it was all pink even without any CC. So I took a break from Sims 2 and played some other games. But after a year I was missing my Sims so much, that I finally gave up and did the last thing I refused to do - turning shaders off. It's not fair, but it's the only way I can play the game now. :-(

I have a NVIDIA GTX 1070, 16 GB RAM, and had played the Sims 2 on this same computer with the highest possible settings. With CC skies, water, light, NH deco and all. For one year it was amazing... but then a certain Windows 10 update brought me the pink plaque.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 24th Apr 2019 at 9:45 AM
^ I have the same card, and did manage to at least temporarily get rid of the pink-flashing that happened without CC (I haven't gotten as far as to try with CC yet). The problems did stop when I increased the virtual memory (though may not be a good idea with a SSD), but I haven't tried editing the GraphicRules file yet, so hopefully that does the trick. It's a texture memory issue for sure - or rather, win10's handling of it.

My XP laptop would switch over to virtual memory, and even if it lagged (with a lot of CC and EPs) it did work surprisingly well on 512 MB RAM, and I never saw any pink. On my old Vista machine, all I had to do was the 4 GB fix, and pink-flashing wouldn't plague me unless I'd played for a couple of days with 30+ GB of CC on a large CC-heavy lot or on a lot with heavy snow. On my Win7 machine I didn't even have to do the 4GB fix (though my game occasionally didn't want to recognize the graphic card - but I sorted that out eventually, and I didn't use my full collection of CC on it). Now with Win10 I've had to jump through all sorts of hoops just to get the game running without pink-flashing or crashing in a CC-free game. And I refuse to play without shaders, because I got a new gaming laptop to be able to play all 3 games (and more). So I'm not giving up until they run smoothly.

Does anyone know which Win10 update caused these issues? Maybe there's a fix for it somewhere, or a way to uninstall it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 24th Apr 2019 at 9:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
I think that it's really meant for older hardware that would have trouble handling the shaders. I don't think that modern machines would need to have it turned off. There apparently is (or was) an issue with some Nvidia cards that couldn't handle Sims 2 shaders and users with those cards had to disable shaders to get the game to run at all.

http://sims-player.blogspot.com/

If you get pink flashing and put in that cheat it will likely stop it and allow you to play on, and this is new computers. My older computers never had pink flashing.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 24th Apr 2019 at 10:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Does anyone know which Win10 update caused these issues? Maybe there's a fix for it somewhere, or a way to uninstall it.

It was the Windows 10 Creators Update (version 1709), 17th October, 2017.
Instructor
#10 Old 25th Apr 2019 at 4:52 AM
I had to have that cheat in my userstartup cause otherwise my game would crash. I luckily didn’t have pink flashing but then again I was on win 7
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 10th Aug 2021 at 7:47 PM
Hi guys! Sorry for necroposting but "useshaders" surprisely don't works for me. I use Graphics Rules, 4gb patch, but even if i use "boolprop useshaders false" game still flashing pink. In some cases, if I use "boolprop useshaders false" again and again may helps. Maybe here is someone with new generation integraded AMD videocard? Please give me your settings of Graphics Rules help me stop pink tears.
Theorist
#12 Old 10th Aug 2021 at 8:03 PM
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 10th Aug 2021 at 8:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
Did you find any use of this thread?

Stop Sims 2 Purple Soup or Pink Flashing Crashes on Windows 10 and Modern Hardware with DXVK

Yes.
Method with copying file Vulkan API helped me restrain pink soup most of the time. Before that, nothing helped at all. But from time to time, blinking is breaking back. I sit under the "boolprop useshaders false" most of the time. Maybe so I have a gray transparent ocean, not always visible food in animal bowls, etc.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 10th Aug 2021 at 8:31 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th Aug 2021 at 10:16 PM.
If you've previously used the GraphicRulesMaker 1.0 or an old downloaded fixed GraphicRules file that used this version, you could have the pink soup problem I had, with the missing line that was fixed in the GRM 2.0 version. You can check or fix manually using this link: https://episims.tumblr.com/post/190...-helped-me-with

--> 2) Disabling texture memory estimate adjustment
(but the others could also help).

The DXVK didn't really help me much, but at the time I also had the problem above. Once I fixed it, the pink-flashing stopped (at least the horrible pink-soup that made the game unplayable, I haven't checked much with a ton of CC yet), and I can play with shaders on. However, the DXVK seemed to cause crandom crashes ingame, so I removed it, which looks to have helped.

---

The Useshaders cheat is needed if you want to use CAS CC with higher polycounts than roughly 25k - otherwise the meshes don't show (you get bald heads and invisible bodies). It also gives you nice pool reflections, car reflections, bump maps, and other effects - but if you have hardware that seems to struggle with this, turning shaders off can be a good thing. Some more modern hardware almost seem to struggle more when you turn off shaders, though.