Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2022 at 5:04 PM Last edited by billygot : 5th Sep 2023 at 9:41 AM.
Default SOLVED. IKEA stuff and H&M stuff missing.
Hello, I just installed Windows 11, I reinstalled and played The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection again, but the neighborhood I built prior had some issues: Some wallpapers, furniture, clothes, etc. simply disappeared or completely missing when I loaded the neighborhood from my backup save file, which is the same neighborhood for years. I was just playing this same neighborhood a few days ago on Windows 10, everything was perfect, but now I'm playing it on Win11 today, some stuff from some of the expansion packs of the Ultimate Collection simply disappeared or in some form not being shown, as if I never had installed them, such as: the stuff from Free Time expansion are all missing, as if I've never installed it even tho I did, this only occurred on Win11. The game, the save file, was exactly the same for years, never had this issue before. If anybody is having the same problem or has a solution to this already, please help, I want to keep playing in the future, thanks a million!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Jul 2022 at 5:12 PM
If you're using the Origin version, try to fix the game via Origin (not reinstall, just fix). could be something went wrong in the install process. This can occasionally happen with the Origin version.

You may have to replace the save folder again after that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Jul 2022 at 12:30 AM Last edited by billygot : 18th Aug 2022 at 12:21 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If you're using the Origin version, try to fix the game via Origin (not reinstall, just fix). could be something went wrong in the install process. This can occasionally happen with the Origin version.

You may have to replace the save folder again after that.

No, ma'am, I've been using the disc version, I've had this game before Origin even came out I think, I only use Origin if I HAVE TO, like playing the Dragon Age stories you HAVE TO open Origin's slow a** (but I'd open the ocean if that game requires, or any other BioWare game). I know in order to have the graphics fit today's standards, you can always modify the .ini file or use the GraphicRules tool, so I was thinking maybe I could fix it in that direction? The thing is, I feel like some of the expansion packs are just not being recognized on Win11, so they're not being shown after the game's being loaded. Which could be a huge blow, that means I can't play the game on any future Windows anymore, it's outdated and I think EA doesn't care to tend to this game anymore either... anyway, this could be entirely my PC's problem, which is better because there will actually be a solution... but I just installed Win11 yesterday!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Jul 2022 at 12:49 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 6th Jul 2022 at 1:01 AM.
There's no disc version of the Ultimate Collection, so do you have all the discs separately, or some variant of that?

Could be you accidentally skipped FT, or it wasn't installed properly. Check if the files are in the install folder.

If you have any of the various other collection discs, I think these let you select which games to install, so make sure you've installed all of them (but skip the Store Edition if you can, that one is not recommended to install, it only causes issues). FT isn't part of the collection discs, but just in case you're having issues with any of the others.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Jul 2022 at 2:48 AM Last edited by billygot : 21st Sep 2022 at 6:11 PM.
There's no disc version of the Ultimate Collection, so do you have all the discs separately, or some variant of that?

Could be you accidentally skipped FT, or it wasn't installed properly. Check if the files are in the install folder.

If you have any of the various other collection discs, I think these let you select which games to install, so make sure you've installed all of them (but skip the Store Edition if you can, that one is not recommended to install, it only causes issues). FT isn't part of the collection discs, but just in case you're having issues with any of the others.

I installed them disc by disc by release order, that's also why I never deleted this game once installed. It is not the UC officially, but together they are, as I've said I've had this game for years, I've always installed it this way with no problems. I only back up the save folder in My Documents every now and then, in case of a system crash or motherboard issue. May I ask this: Which Windows version are you using? I'm wondering if this occurs to all Windows 11 users.

This also occurred once before, I once changed my graphic card from AMD to NVIDIA, and the same Save had some issues, after searching online I found out I had to modify some .ini file in order for the game to work correctly, change all the graphic card names and stuff. So I'm also wondering do I have to tackle the problem in that direction, even tho I've changed from NVIDIA to a new AMD graphic card now and it has no problem with running this game without modifying stuff like the last time. I'm not asking this on EA because they don't really answer the question on a more understanding level, anyway, I'll be waiting, thanks again.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 6th Jul 2022 at 3:41 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 6th Jul 2022 at 3:53 AM.
There are differences between the UC and the various disc versions, so you'll want to be spesific about which version you have when asking for help, especially when it comes to potential install issues. If you say you have the UC but you have the disc versions, there is usually going to be some extra forth and back to clear that one up. It's easier to say you've got all the EPs/SPs on discs, or some such (and if you have any of the disc collections, it can be an idea to say that too, because those have another set of potential issues).

---

Anyway - can you remember if you patched the games with the old install? If you did, it's possible not doing so with the new one could be the issue.

One thing you can try is to generate a new save folder in Documents (rename the "The Sims 2" folder to "The Sims 2 Backup" or some such **), just to see if your game is working. Sometimes the save folder has issues (could be a missing patch or something like that). This is a good way to just check whether it's the install or the savegame, or a file somewhere else in the savegame folder, before you have to do anything drastic.
(**When you're done testing, you can delete the test folder and rename the old folder back to "The Sims 2", and it should work fine again).

Sometimes an install does go wrong, so you may want to check if the files have been installed properly for the EPs/SPs you're noticing aren't showing up properly.

Not sure about the .ini file edit.

---

I'm still on Windows 10 (and missing Win7). Not planning on installing 11 until well past the time it's being forced down my throat (even though Windows Update is trying its best... )
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 6th Jul 2022 at 3:55 AM
Did you manage to apply all of the game patches when you installed?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Jul 2022 at 5:31 AM Last edited by billygot : 10th Jan 2024 at 5:17 PM.
The game runs perfectly smooth, it's the latest version ALL PATCHED, that part most TS2 players already know, I also ALWAYS copy my save folder from My Documents to ANOTHER DRIVE, usually a portable drive as well, to BACK UP the SAVE FOLDER. I've said above, I know what I'm doing when dealing with The Sims 2, I've been playing it for years as I've said, thank you all for kindly reminding that so somebody else can take notice of those things as well.
Let me put them in pictures to further explain the problems:

From bird's eye view, it all looks normal, just like my old save.

But then, once start playing, wallpapers and stuff missing, can't find the same items from Buy Mode anymore either:

Don't know htf this happened:

The clothing also changed and didn't show up correctly nor buy again in the game, but the loading screen still shows the original clothing I put on him:

This all happened after I installed Windows 11, and this all happened on Windows 11. Also, I've reinstalled the game on Windows 11 three times already, and each time is exactly the same, which also takes a chunk of time for all the switching and patching. As I've mentioned before, looking like I can't play this game anymore before I found a solution, which is devastating because there are still things in it that I wanna modify or change. I built this neighborhood on Windows 10, and now I'm playing it again on Windows 11, this problem occurs, I wholeheartedly wish there will be a Windows 11 fix in the future, if not now.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 6th Jul 2022 at 1:19 PM
None of the pictures show for me, either.

Quote: Originally posted by billygot
The game runs perfectly smooth, it's the latest version ALL PATCHED, that part most TS2 players already know,

You didn't specifically mention anything about patches, and installing from the discs with the DRM makes patching difficult, which was why I asked.

Just to check, if you look in your installation location, are all of the folders there?

Also, you installed under an administrator account? To the default location? Try clearning your virtualstore (go to %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore and delete anything under EAGames/ The Sims 2).
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#11 Old 6th Jul 2022 at 2:38 PM
The Origin Ultimate Collection (and possibly the Mac Super Collection?) is the only version that's fully patched from EA's side.

Pictures aren't working for me, either. You'll probably need to share a spesific link, not the main URL of each picture.

---

If all your games are there, try generating a new save folder (the way I specified above, or below **) just to test if everything is working.

The reason I'm asking is because this is one of the diagnostic tools to check if your game is working. Your old save folder isn't going to be helpful in the same way.

This checks if something is wrong with the install folder - if FT, AL or Seasons (or any of the other games that came with hoods or subhoods) didn't install properly, those subhoods most likely won't generate properly. If you run the game and something shows up that wasn't there before, it could be a problem with some of the settings in your old save.

If there aren't any differences between the save folders, you know the problem is elsewhere.

(** I'm not talking about doing a backup - just leave your regular folder where it is and add something to the back of the folder, could be "The Sims 2 original". Then run the game so it generates a new folder - there should be two folders after you run the game. Check every nook and cranny of the game, and when you're done testing, you can delete the test folder and rename your regular folder again to "The Sims 2" and it should be fine).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Jul 2022 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
None of your pictures show.

I've re-uploaded them, please feel free to check again, once again thanks to all of you guys' efforts, I'm just really disappointed but I will read every post thoroughly.
RIGHT CLICK ON THE IMAGE AND OPEN IN NEW TAB TO ENLARGE THEM.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Jul 2022 at 11:58 PM Last edited by billygot : 17th Jul 2022 at 12:20 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
None of the pictures show for me, either.

You didn't specifically mention anything about patches, and installing from the discs with the DRM makes patching difficult, which was why I asked.

Just to check, if you look in your installation location, are all of the folders there?

Also, you installed under an administrator account? To the default location? Try clearning your virtualstore (go to %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore and delete anything under EAGames/ The Sims 2).

I'll try to clear the virtualstore stuff now.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 12:56 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th Jul 2022 at 1:10 AM.
Are you sure the missing items aren't just missing CC?

If a CC item goes missing, it defaults to whatever it was cloned from. Occasionally it will disappear, but it depends on the circumstances. If CC wallpaper goes missing, it's removed from the wall.

When you reinstalled your game, did you make sure to properly enable CC before you loaded up any of your lots? Did you put in all your CC? If you loaded your lots, saw something was missing, saved your game, then enabled CC, that could be the reason why stuff now appears to be missing - if the game is saved without CC, it doesn't help to load it back in, you'll also have to fix anything that's been broken.

Did you also install the CEP so recolors of EAxis items work properly (if you used to have it on the old install)? Can you remember if you had any downloaded files in the install files? On occasion you are meant to put certain files (like CEP-extras, or recategorizers) in the install files. If you've not done so this time, this can cause some missing items.

(This is exactly why you'll want to check out if the game is actually missing items, or if it's just something acting up in your downloads or savegame).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 3:58 AM Last edited by billygot : 13th Aug 2022 at 1:01 AM.
Are you sure the missing items aren't just missing CC?

If a CC item goes missing, it defaults to whatever it was cloned from. Occasionally it will disappear, but it depends on the circumstances. If CC wallpaper goes missing, it's removed from the wall.

When you reinstalled your game, did you make sure to properly enable CC before you loaded up any of your lots? Did you put in all your CC? If you loaded your lots, saw something was missing, saved your game, then enabled CC, that could be the reason why stuff now appears to be missing - if the game is saved without CC, it doesn't help to load it back in, you'll also have to fix anything that's been broken.

Did you also install the CEP so recolors of EAxis items work properly (if you used to have it on the old install)? Can you remember if you had any downloaded files in the install files? On occasion you are meant to put certain files (like CEP-extras, or recategorizers) in the install files. If you've not done so this time, this can cause some missing items.

(This is exactly why you'll want to check out if the game is actually missing items, or if it's just something acting up in your downloads or savegame).

I always enable them at the start-up, I've never downloaded CEP before, never used them either. Like I've said above, the wallpaper and clothing are completely from within the game, they're not downloaded packages. The wallpaper and missing stuff were from the game, and now I can't even see it in Buy/Build Mode anymore, I've said it's like some expansion packs or stuff are simply not being recognized, even tho I can clearly see I have them installed.

Also, I HAVE CREATED A NEW WHOLE SAVE FOLDER, and the stuff missing in my old save is also missing in the new save! The same wallpapers and items can't be found in the new save Buy/Build Mode either. I'm 100% sure I have everything installed correctly.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 4:10 AM
^ Alright, then we know it's something to do with the install files, or the way they're read by the game.

Just to get this one out of the way - are you using the launcher? If so, that could be the issue. Try making a shortcut to your Sims2EP9.EXE file instead.
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...assing_Launcher (description of the problem, and pictures/explanation, if you need that)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 4:25 AM
^ Alright, then we know it's something to do with the install files, or the way they're read by the game.

Just to get this one out of the way - are you using the launcher? If so, that could be the issue. Try making a shortcut to your Sims2EP9.EXE file instead.
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...assing_Launcher (description of the problem, and pictures/explanation, if you need that)

Nope, exactly the same, and when I opened properties it's already like this:

Also, this keeps popping up when I started playing, which is strange too, I haven't seen this since years ago when I first played:

I'm honestly thinking go back to Windows 10 now...
Mad Poster
#18 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 5:20 AM
Game tips is a thing you can turn off in the settings. It's nothing to worry about.

Do you have all the games as single CDs? Because that's a weird one you've got there. Did you name your game "Ultimate collection" or did it somehow install like that? I don't know of any disc versions that's called Ultimate Collection (the actual disc versions, anyway - not entirely sure about the collections like Fun With Pets, but those don't show like that anyway).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 8:58 AM Last edited by billygot : 26th Jan 2024 at 5:43 AM.
Game tips is a thing you can turn off in the settings. It's nothing to worry about.

Do you have all the games as single CDs? Because that's a weird one you've got there. Did you name your game "Ultimate collection" or did it somehow install like that? I don't know of any disc versions that's called Ultimate Collection (the actual disc versions, anyway - not entirely sure about the collections like Fun With Pets, but those don't show like that anyway).

I actually got the Ultimate Collection earlier, and installed the Origin version to see whether it could help, but it didn't. Anyway, it's a good thing, time to let go of the discs anyway, they're nightmares to install. I think my only option now is going back to Win 10, sigh. Strange thing is, after I uninstalled the game, there were 2 expansion packs folders left that I had to manually delete, I think one is Celebration Stuff and one is Free Time (?), if all these options couldn't help, I guess I'll reinstall Win 10 later. I was thinking maybe I need to modify some .ini file manually, because that's what happened after I changed the graphic card before, had to change all the names of my previous graphic card to the new graphic card model's name. Anyhoo, hope some players can find this threat useful before installing Win 11, but I don't know, maybe it's just mine messing up like this.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 11:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by billygot
I actually got the Ultimate Collection earlier, and installed the Origin version to see whether it could help, but it didn't.
Strange thing is, after I uninstalled the game, there were 2 expansion packs folders left that I had to manually delete, I think one is Celebration Stuff and one is Free Time (?), if all these options couldn't help,

This could be significant. It sounds like you uninstalled a previous installation and it didn't uninstall completely. If you had folders remaining, then you most likely had registry keys remaining too. The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection is incompatible with the disc install (unless you really know what you are doing). The fact that you mention Freetime is one of the broken EPs, and it was a Freetime folder that was remaining is a smoking gun.
I would recommend to uninstall completely, then check the registry for any remaining keys and manually delete any remaining folders.
Then reinstall the version of your choice (but not both).

This is an installation error, not a problem with Windows 11.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 12:17 PM Last edited by billygot : 14th Jul 2022 at 8:02 AM.
This could be significant. It sounds like you uninstalled a previous installation and it didn't uninstall completely. If you had folders remaining, then you most likely had registry keys remaining too. The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection is incompatible with the disc install (unless you really know what you are doing). The fact that you mention Freetime is one of the broken EPs, and it was a Freetime folder that was remaining is a smoking gun.
I would recommend to uninstall completely, then check the registry for any remaining keys and manually delete any remaining folders.

THANK YOU!!! I had this hunch as well!! Like I've said above, I never deleted the discs version of the game after I installed it, due to too much time spent, so when I installed Win 11 my Sims 2 was not deleted from Win 10 at all, and so were some other games!! I had a huge hunch that is the REGISTRY problem, I'll google right now how to completely delete The Sims 2 from registry, THIS MUST BE THE ANSWER!!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 7th Jul 2022 at 1:25 PM Last edited by billygot : 8th Jul 2022 at 2:57 PM.

I've deleted the registry and re-installed the game again, but it's still the same. But at least now I have a direction, and also, after I deleted the game last time, it was actually these two left:

And the stuff missing must be from these two EPs. I've tried to delete these two manually, but I couldn't, the uninstall.exe won't respond, deleting the entire folder was the only way.

They're also NOT in the registry, even tho I have the folders in UC directory:
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#23 Old 9th Jul 2022 at 12:26 PM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 10th Jul 2022 at 11:21 AM Last edited by billygot : 11th Jan 2024 at 8:00 AM.
After knowing the two EPs that were missing, I googled online and found this older thread:
https://modthesims.info/t/551566

I have followed what they said, and reinstalled the discs version again AFTER DELETING ALL OLD REGISTRY KEYS. I deleted every Sims key I can find in the entire registry. THANK JESUS, IT WORKED, back to normal:

I wanna thank all the posts above for your time, this problem has been solved. Delete registry keys (just the EPs you're missing if you don't want to delete all of them), and reinstall again! I've searched and deleted all registry keys regarding The Sims 2 from my PC before reinstalling the game again, and it has worked. I don't know about the Origin version since I just bought it, but I have a friend in mind who talked about how much she likes Sims 2 growing up, so there. Oh and one mistake I've made along the way: Don't get AnyGameStarter for this problem, it rewrites the entire registry, which won't recognize my old save at all AND the stuff was still missing! Had to manually "Find/Find Next" and delete all Sims 2 keys in my registry, you can skip this time-consuming mistake for this particular problem. God bless!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#25 Old 10th Jul 2022 at 2:19 PM
AnyGameStarter is a tool to allow you to boot the game with selective packs installs; it does indeed edit the registry (not the 'entire' registry though) and works very well.
It is not a tool to help solve installation problems which was why it didn't help you.
Glad you got your problem solved.