Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jun 2016 at 6:52 PM
Default (mod) Need help with enabling gardening for kids
Hello, I am working on a mod to enable gardening for kids, however I can't seem to get it to work.
I was using the one by Arien Li for a long time but it broke after the recent patch, and their tumblr page hasn't had updates in months. So I've decided to make my own. I haven't had very much luck so far, kids can't even click the plants.
I was wondering if someone more skilled could take a look at my current mod and tell me if I'm missing a file or something?
Thank you.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9...iew?usp=sharing
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 1:21 AM
bumping this up for a hopefully helpful modder.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 2:06 AM
One thing I noticed right away... you are missing a lot of Sim info specified ages in many of your XML's
One example is

<I c="GardeningGraftPickerInteraction" i="interaction" m="crafting.gardening_interactions" n="Gardening_Graft_Picker" s="13412">
On line 59 you need to shoehorn in child as a specified age.

You have:
<V t="sim_info">
<U n="sim_info">
<V t="specified" n="ages">
<L n="specified">
<E>TEEN</E>
<E>YOUNGADULT</E>
<E>ADULT</E>
<E>ELDER</E>
</L>
</V>
<E n="who">Actor</E>
</U>
</V>

It should be
<V t="sim_info">
<U n="sim_info">
<V t="specified" n="ages">
<L n="specified">
<E>CHILD</E>
<E>TEEN</E>
<E>YOUNGADULT</E>
<E>ADULT</E>
<E>ELDER</E>
</L>
</V>
<E n="who">Actor</E>
</U>
</V>

I would go through some specific files and test to see if updating that would fix your problem.

When an engineer says that something can't be done, it's a code phrase that means it's not fun to do.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 9:07 AM
Thank you so much for your response, I had made a big mistake in assuming where those labels would be.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 10:56 AM
Hello, I did go through and look for the specified age thing and I only found them in two files, the one you listed and another one related to grafting. I changed both but children still lack the ability to graft (the only option that shows when clicking on plants is fertilize).

I was wondering if I have to manually add the specified age section in on some of them?

Thank you,
Forum Resident
#6 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LemonyLin
Hello, I did go through and look for the specified age thing and I only found them in two files, the one you listed and another one related to grafting. I changed both but children still lack the ability to graft (the only option that shows when clicking on plants is fertilize).

I was wondering if I have to manually add the specified age section in on some of them?

Thank you,

Yes.. as an example.. take a look at
<I c="SuperInteraction" i="interaction" m="interactions.base.super_interaction" n="Gardening_Harvest_Low" s="77761">

Around line 410, you will notice that the segment for sim info is there. But there are no entries.
Now compare it to Aren Li's file .. his has this segment

<V t="sim_info"><U n="sim_info"><V n="ages" t="specified"><L n="specified"><E>TEEN</E><E>YOUNGADULT</E><E>ADULT</E><E>ELDER</E><E>CHILD</E></L></V>

You will notice that his has all the whitespaces removed. It's no problem, you can do it either way. Simply break it down and it becomes...

<V t="sim_info">
<U n="sim_info">
<V n="ages" t="specified">
<L n="specified">
<E>TEEN</E>
<E>YOUNGADULT</E>
E>ADULT</E>
<E>ELDER</E>
<E>CHILD</E>
</L>
</V>

Note The first 3 lines coincide with lines 410, 411, and 412... you just need to match it up. Use Aren Li's model as a guide.
I don't know if this will fix the issue. But I can assume that it has a good shot based on the previous mod.

When an engineer says that something can't be done, it's a code phrase that means it's not fun to do.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 14th Jul 2016 at 4:30 PM
Sorry forgot to add
We are not going to copy the xml entirely obviously.. because his is broken. But I will assume that something else was changed in EA's code logic and that these segments just need to be paired up with the new format.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Jul 2016 at 11:17 AM
@lodakai Thanks so much! I'll give that a shot.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Jul 2016 at 5:09 PM
@Lodakai Hello there, unfortunately I haven't made much progress. If you'd be so kind as to take a look at my most up to date progress (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7...iew?usp=sharing) I'd appreciate it.
I still can't even get the options to appear for kids.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 16th Jul 2016 at 5:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LemonyLin
@Lodakai Hello there, unfortunately I haven't made much progress. If you'd be so kind as to take a look at my most up to date progress (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7...iew?usp=sharing) I'd appreciate it.
I still can't even get the options to appear for kids.

All that I can really recommend is comparing the scripts with what Aren Li had and trying to guess what he changed.. and what was changed by EA in the new xml.
I have other projects that I am working on. If I have time, I will try to take a look.. but I really don't have much time nowadays.

Plasticbox also had something out using python. You can look into that as well. It is located here although I do not know if it still works or not.
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=571263

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Jul 2016 at 7:04 AM
@Lodakai Thank you very much for all of your help thus far, I will keep trying.
And thank you for the link to that mod, I had requested on it recently asking that they consider enabling other options for kids.