Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jul 2022 at 9:32 PM
Default Where can I find a tutorial on how to make an living apartment on top of a bakery
I want one of my sim's grandparents own a bakery, and also live on top of it.

Also the mother of my sim (daughter of the grandparents), I want her to work there part-time at the bakery while living in her own home with kids. That,s all part of a story I'm making. We seem to never sims at work it seems.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Jul 2022 at 6:54 AM
It might be possible to have that on a regular residential lot with the risedenatial area abive the shop.I used a MOd to unlock community lots items for businesses at home.The ability to hire employees from family needs a Mod.I've also got tons of content to aloow sims to work at home from farming to trades,crafts and being artisans.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 17th Jul 2022 at 7:34 AM
I'm not sure it even makes sense for the family to own the bakery, but not to own their own living space that's on top of the bakery.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Jul 2022 at 10:03 AM
Home businesses are already a thing, but having a business at all on an apartment lot is going to cause weirdness. I'd stick with a residential lot.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 19th Jul 2022 at 8:44 PM
Inge's meeting controller would let you teleport in the daughter and have her work at the bakery. You can find it at Simlogical.com in the Sims 2 download section. She'd be fully controllable too. If you want her past 6 p.m., end the meeting briefly, then resume after 6 p.m. rolls by, so she doesn't double-age. If employee payment matters for your story, gift her an item as "wages" or send money to her. There are various money-transfer hacks out there to make that possible.
Alchemist
#6 Old 19th Jul 2022 at 11:01 PM
There's two ways to handle this. First way, is yes, make the lot a residential lot and have the family open a home business. Living quarters could be upstairs, in the back, etc., etc. Whatever you decide. You can hire employees for a home business so since the daughter lives on another lot, you should have no trouble hiring her to work for the bakery with the regular game mechanics.

The real question is if you want other sims to visit the bakery, which brings me to option 2. Sims can't visit home businesses. Like, if you play Sim C's house; you can't take that family to visit the grandparents' bakery if it's a home business because you can't visit other sims' houses in a vanilla game.

...Hmm, I wonder if you can do this with Chris Hatch's Visit Sims mod. Honestly, if you could, that solves this whole problem.

Otherwise, the only way for you to take other sims to visit the business is to make the bakery on a community lot. And you can't have two types on zoning on one lot--no owned business with an apartment section on top, or a residential section, etc. So the only way to accomplish that is visually. Option 2 = You create the appearance of one lot, but you actually have two separate, stacked lots. There's a tutorial on how to do that here:
Threadandsandpaper's How to Make and Stack Lots Tutorial. You might need a browser extension that fixes Photo bucket links; otherwise I think I have a version with the pictures saved somewhere. Let me know if you need that.

But again, Stacked Lots are purely a visual thing; I would look into Chris Hatch's mod to see if visiting home businesses is possible. It's been a while since I read the instructions, so I'm not sure.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#8 Old 21st Jul 2022 at 9:15 PM
I can actually build sich a lot so the design can be copied which is better than a tutorial as I've done things like that before on my older laptop more than ten years ago.I'd buils with the business downstairs and the living space upstairs like it's an apartment unit to make it properly seperated.
Test Subject
#9 Old 30th Jul 2022 at 12:02 AM
Sorry if someone has already said this but I think you might to be able to work with MogHughson's mod here:https://modthesims.info/d/352602/ap...e-same-lot.html but unfortunately it does say that " Home Business are also disabled by Maxis on Apartment Lots. This mod does not change that fact." Hope this helps even a little bit
If anyone does find a way to have home businesses with apartments on the same lot can they reply? Thank you
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 30th Jul 2022 at 1:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NRJ
I want one of my sim's grandparents own a bakery, and also live on top of it.

Also the mother of my sim (daughter of the grandparents), I want her to work there part-time at the bakery while living in her own home with kids. That,s all part of a story I'm making. We seem to never sims at work it seems.

You can run an unowned business on an apartment lot with the mod Apartments and Shopping, on the same Lot! Already linked above ^ You cannot run that as a playable business however. Only one staffed by NPC's.
To work at it the lot needs to be residential.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~