Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jun 2022 at 12:00 AM
Default Sims University: The Ruby C. Pascal Science Lab
I'm currently working on an expanded Sims University, wherein I take what EAxis made and add to it. I'll probably post that here at some point down the road.

Before that, however, I had one lot in particular that I wanted some feedback on, and that is the Ruby C. Pascal Science Lab, a new Library type lot. Yes, following a generous grant from one Ruby C. Pascal, Sims University now provides dedicated laboratory space to all of its Science and Engineering majors (well, the Science & Medicine and Technology majors, at any rate). The design is based (very) loosely on what I remember the labs at my own university looking like.

Exterior:

First Floor:
The first floor contains a decent-sized study area/student lounge as well as several Mechanical Engineering labs, meaning several Inventing workbenches.

Second Floor:
The second floor has several science research stations and several brain-enhancing machines, for the sake of those Science & Medicine majors. And also some couches in the alcoves, since I didn't know what else to put there.

Third Floor:
The third floor is home to the chemistry labs, containing both the Chemistry Set introduced in Generations as well as Alchemy workstations, providing a safe place for Sims to experiment with dangerous chemicals. And also places to cut some gems, should the need for that arise.

Basement:
Where the Computer Science and Computer Engineering students hang out -- there's a computer lab for the Comp Sci students and a workspace for the Computer Engineering/Electrical Engineering students (if those existed in this game, that is). Note the use of morphead's Computers from Public Adio in the Comp Sci lab. There's also a very small student meeting space just behind the stairs.

I'm debating filling in the other side of the basement and adding some "AI Labs" (read: bot-building stations from Into the Future. Thoughts?

Known Issues/Feedback Requested
- I should probably do a bit more with the landscaping. My plan is to have a row of those small trees ("Evergreens," I think the game calls them) on either side of the building, similar to what the Busche Science Building has.
- Thoughts on the flooring/wall covering? I can't say I'm crazy about it, but I'm not sure what else to do with it.
- I know I want to replace the carpet in the "Electrical Engineering" lab with tile, since IRL you wouldn't want to risk static electricity frying anything.
- One of the Inventing Station labs has wall paint that doesn't match the other three. I've corrected that on my end, but haven't taken a new screenshot yet.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 23rd Jun 2022 at 3:56 PM
Hi StPatrick,

I love what you have done so far with the Science Lab.

I suggest adding the AI Labs you mentioned you would like to add to it. This is because AI is growing IRL, and I feel that having them would reflect that fact really well.

That's the only suggestion I have so far.

Great job working on the Science Lab! :-)

magdalenepoet
Field Researcher
#3 Old 26th Jun 2022 at 3:17 PM
Not sure if I didn't notice them, but have you got any showers for burnt students? Remember though the chemistry station just gives a burnt moodlet, they can burn to death from the inventing stations. I like the 'It's Not Gross Public Shower Station' that came with the skylight performing arts studio, or 'Keep Me Clean Outdoor Shower' that come with Serenity Retreat, as you can put them near the danger points without sims coming in to use them and shooing your hard working student away! It looks great!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Jun 2022 at 2:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LucyBorgia
Not sure if I didn't notice them, but have you got any showers for burnt students?

I didn't, no. But come to think of it, chem labs usually have those safety showers, don't they? Those would be a good thing to add. (While I agree that the two showers you mentioned would work best, I'm trying to use as little Store content as possible, and I don't own either shower in any event).

Based on the feedback, I've made some updates:

Exterior:
I added some landscaping around the sides of the building; there is also now a Wonderpetal plant and (I think) a Lettuce plant growing among the Evergreens/

First Floor:
No real changes here, apart from adding some smoke detectors to the Inventing Labs.

Second Floor:
No real changes aside from the wall coverings, although I added some lockers to some of the labs (gotta store that safety equipment somewhere).

Third Floor:
This is where the real changes were made. The chem and alchemy labs now have shower rooms attached (not quite how safety showers work in actual chem labs, but I have to work within the game) in case things go wrong, as well as smoke detectors in case things go really wrong.

Basement:
I added some "AI Labs" (Labs with Bot Building Stations) in the new wing.