Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#76 Old 6th Dec 2011 at 1:03 PM
Hi
Do you know how to delete the premade sims I imported with a world while importing a whole world (sunset valley)? I think they are giving me some problems. I tought about modifying the global layer .layer file, but hey: no idea what to touch there...! I think they cause me a load error after entering the EIG, because they were located in a lot before I deleted it, then they just remained on the ground, waiting... They all are "Objects" in the Global Layer and I can't delete them manually.
Any suggest will be so highly appreciated! Thank you ))
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#77 Old 9th Dec 2011 at 4:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bakafox
UGH. Is this also meaning porting/populating worlds anew is also borked? I do have an unpopulated version, but if I can't even repopulate and save it in EIG once, no sense bothering to reopen. (Also now worried about plans for current projects in progress..)

No, probably not- I've just noticed that a lot of people are having trouble editing premade worlds made with previous patch versions when they are user populated. There must be something about the process which CAW does not like. With the EA populations, it seems that the actual sim resources are present in the world file but the sim personality and family data is loaded from XML when you start the world, so perhaps this is the problem.

kchaos, your best bet is to use a mod like Awesome to destroy the sims. Don't manually delete global layer objects as some are not related to the sim population. Please post any more issues regarding opening packed worlds here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=447707
Instructor
#78 Old 10th Dec 2011 at 10:24 PM
I have a problem. I have a clean but patched game, no cc, up to Generations (not all the stuff packs). When I open CAW "Edit in game" I can put down some lots alright, but I cant save. When I exit my world is gone. What is that? (sorry if this is not the thread to ask in

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. "
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#79 Old 11th Dec 2011 at 2:00 PM
This tends to be associated with having one or more expansions out of date, or else perhaps your computer isn't powerful enough or maybe Windows is creating a file lock. Things you can try are:

1) Patch all EPs and Sps, then check your game compatibility versions (as linked in Post #1 under 'Version Mismatch Error'). Also redownload and reinstall the latest version of CAW to make sure you have the correct one.

2) Try closing CAW by clicking the 'x' button, after you have launched EIG mode. That will release the file lock. Otherwise, try this batch file to launch EIG:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=453161
Test Subject
#80 Old 21st Dec 2011 at 10:07 AM
Thank you!
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
forstbergs13, first thing to do is to backup your files, and then you won't lose anything. Copy Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 and Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3 Create A World Tool to a safe place.

Next thing I would check is your install location. I would advise to install in a folder you have created yourself rather than in the Program Files folder. This is because UAC is active on the system folders, so installing to a location such as C:\ Games makes sure that UAC will not interfere.

Then, check that you have made your version of CAW Large Adress Aware, so that it can use your 4Gb RAM. There are instructions and links for this in the first post.

Check that your Sims 3 game is fully updated- we have found in some cases that the patch levels of the expansion packs matter for CAW, so patch them all and then we can rule that out as being a problem. Be aware that the Launcher will only patch the basegame and your last EP. There are links to our patch tutorials and the EA patch downloads in the first post.

Once you are fully patched check your versions in the default.ini files, to make sure that CAW is fully reading all of the game files. To do this, follow the link in the first post to kiritra's game compatibility versions guide, which is under the title 'Version Mismatch Error'.

The problems you are having (EIG not working, sudden CAW crashes) are usually all solved by following those steps.

I realized I didn't come back to thank you, because finally everything worked. The problem was with LAA. Last time I did it, but I didn't make that last step, where you need to modify computer settings as well. I did everything and now it even loads EIG without any additional steps, since I also have all extent ion packs. My world was saved, thank you

Oh, and what is even cooler, I don't have to take out my CC every time I load CAW or delete any catch files.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#81 Old 24th Dec 2011 at 1:48 AM
forstbergs13, well done for fixing it! I'm glad you got it working, thank you for letting us know!
Forum Resident
#83 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 9:08 PM
Ok I'm Not the smartest person when it comes to technical stuff, So...ok I have: base game, world adventures, ambitions, fast lane, late night, generations and pets.

First off Pets was a waste of money. So I uninstalled it. And the computer reads fast lane as High-end loft stuff? And when i re-install everything. once I put Fast lane nothing else works.

So now I just have World adventures and base game and it's gonna stay that way. and I have patch update 2.17... So I go to install CAW works fine. go to run it, "The sims 3 game data was not found. The sims 3 Create a world Beta-tool may not function properly."

and

"The sims 3 Create a world Beta-tool has Crashed! Exception information: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

Note: all started when a virus destroyed nearly the whole computer and I had to uninstall everything.

And I have deleted all the Cache files, and World tooluser data.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am about ready to use my game as a Frisbee.

Another problem I've been having is the game does what CAW was doing; starting, going black then disappearing. The only way I manage to play is uninstall then re-install every time I wanna play!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#84 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 12:42 PM
Wow, I'm not even sure you'll be able to get it working with that combination; for basegame and World Adventures we know that CAW version 1.6.72 (very old!) will work for WA 2.6.11/ basegame 1.11.7. However, for 2.17 I think you're going to need a newer EP too. If you put Fast Lane back in then you could try version 1.10.9.

All details here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=3661479
Click the links to download archived versions of CAW; let me know if you have any problems!
Forum Resident
#85 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 2:01 PM
I'll try the first option, Because my game works better better with only the base and WA. Thanks for the reply, so far only helpful explanation.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#86 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 10:23 PM
Test Subject
#87 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 4:38 AM
Default Caw not working
I updated my sims 3 and caw, but it doesn't seem to be running. No matter how I run caw, wether as administrator or not. It justs shows this launch screen: http://lookpic.com/O/i2/622/YjnsTlhu.png and after a second it goes away and the program doesn't even start. I dont get any error messages.

If the problem is because its a beta then can anyone give me a good caw download. Some links are already not working.
Test Subject
#88 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 11:40 PM
Default What does this mean?
I've done all sorts of things but every time I try to create a new file, I get the error:
"Generic Error in GDI+"

What does this even mean? And what in the world am I supposed to do to fix it?
Test Subject
#89 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 12:28 PM
Default Waiting
still waiting for a solution. And searching for one...
In the Arena
retired moderator
#90 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 5:06 PM
I'm also still waiting, @Mcwarhappy - for the corrected picture link - it is broken. Didn't test it out? It gives a 403 error from the start...so we've no idea what the error is, and hard to troubleshoot blindly in the dark, you know?
Please provide your base game + CAW version numbers.

@aj_kitten, when did you get that error? At what specific point? At the choosing of Heightmaps when you clicked on Create New World or upon saving it?
Quote:
What does this even mean? And what in the world am I supposed to do to fix it?
I hear there's this new-fangled internet technology that is supposed to be your best friend...it didn't give any useful answers?

Well, one of the search results I clicked on mentioned about folders and file permissions.
So, apart from the questions above, also let us know
- where CAW is installed to: Default Program Files path or a custom one?
- can the Heightmaps in the Document path be opened in an Image Editor program like Photoshop/Fireworks/Gimp?
- if the error occurs during saving, what was the filename you used?
- what version is your base game and CAW, anyway?
Test Subject
#91 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 9:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
@aj_kitten, when did you get that error? At what specific point? At the choosing of Heightmaps when you clicked on Create New World or upon saving it? I hear there's this new-fangled internet technology that is supposed to be your best friend...it didn't give any useful answers?

Well, one of the search results I clicked on mentioned about folders and file permissions.
So, apart from the questions above, also let us know
- where CAW is installed to: Default Program Files path or a custom one?
- can the Heightmaps in the Document path be opened in an Image Editor program like Photoshop/Fireworks/Gimp?
- if the error occurs during saving, what was the filename you used?
- what version is your base game and CAW, anyway?

I've tried installing it in the default and custom but im always getting different error messages. The generic error message came right after I tried to open a height map in order to start a new world. So I really can't get anything done at all. Then sometimes it tells me its own files are PNG format *rolls eyes* but I can open then in other programs just fine. Sometimes I get the regular old corrupted data error...I wish it would just make up its mind about what it doesn't want to do. I've downloaded the newest version of CAW and my game is completely up to date. The only expansion I don't have is the master suite stuff.
Test Subject
#92 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 6:36 AM
Default Caw not working
The picture just shows the launch of CAW, nothing special and it's doesn't help anyway, the launch loading thing is visable for only a second nothing happens, like it turns on then off instantly without any error messages, here is my version of caw anyway: description=Version: 0.RL-2.0.98 Changelist: 763975
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#93 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 11:57 PM
Mcwarhappy- The CAW tool is a beta tool- EA have not released a non-beta version. Have you fully patched your game, downloaded the latest version of CAW, made it Large Address aware and tested with fresh user files and no mods, as in the first post?

aj_kitten- And you have your sims games installed to Program Files or Program Files(x86)? This sounds like UAC may be interfering, can you test it with UAC temporarily disabled, just to see if it works?

nephie8- Do you mean that the tools do not show on the user interface, or that you cannot see the tool footprint on your terrain in CAW? Can you please show a screenshot? EDIT: Ah, you deleted your post, does that mean you fixed it?
Test Subject
#94 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 2:19 AM
The UAC has been disabled already when I've been getting all these problems. Any other idea as to what might be the cause?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#95 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 2:31 AM
Are you running on a limited user account or an administrator account? What happens if you run the program as an administrator?

Also, test with a fresh set of CAW user files. If all this fails, uninstall CAW, redownload it from the EA site, check all of your Sims 3 games are fully patched and reinstall CAW. The png error often seems to be indicative of a corrupt install.
Test Subject
#96 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 1:53 PM
Even when I redownload it from the site, I still get the PNG error, though it seems to be confined to just the large map files. If I open a medium height map, it now closes with a "not enough storage" error. What component should i look at for that?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#97 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 6:57 PM
Could you specify whether you're on a limited user or administrator account, and also test with fresh user files? Make sure you have no Sims 3 Custom content either, as that is read also by CAW.

It definitely sounds like a permissions problem.
Test Subject
#98 Old 2nd Mar 2012 at 8:41 AM
I removed the mods, the game is up to date along with CAW (atleast through the Sims 3 menu). I don't think I made it large address aware, how do I do that?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#99 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 6:20 PM
Field Researcher
#100 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 8:48 PM
I have problems with sculpting. When I lay roads, put lots and objects, paint terrain, it runs fine, the worlds open quite quickly, but when I come to sculpting, CAW often crashes, I save after each few moves of the mouse, and it takes hours to sculpt at least a small part of terrain. I cleaned the cashes, can't understand WTF is happening.
Page 4 of 9