Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#30351 Old 4th Oct 2022 at 3:01 AM
Both groups have character data and are safe to summon--you can use any summoning method of choice. I think Inge and Christianlov have summoners, and there's one in the sim blender, insimenator, and sim manipulator, plus there's boolprop and the good old "make my sim know them and call them over" so, you know, you've options.
General Guide for Unsafe NPCs

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#30352 Old 4th Oct 2022 at 8:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
Thank you! I will do this and see how it goes. :D

Those rooms can be so small,. What I did was take out the tv, put in a counter, place dishwasher in counter, and then put a tv on the counter. It has worked for me for years.
Test Subject
#30353 Old 4th Oct 2022 at 8:39 PM
How do I get back into playing Sims 2 again?
Mad Poster
#30354 Old 4th Oct 2022 at 9:09 PM
^ Double-click on the icon, and wait for it to load?
(That's the first step, anyway... assuming you've already installed the game)

Jokes aside - try playing with the premades, or make a family in CAS, start a short challenge, download some CC you want to test out - anything to get the ball rolling and some ideas going in your head as to how you'd like to play going forward.

I wish there were more story-based contests. There used to be a lot of those back in the early days. A few of those sparked quite a lot of ideas in my head, that's for sure. I love storywriting, so maybe that's why...
Test Subject
#30355 Old 4th Oct 2022 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
^ Double-click on the icon, and wait for it to load?
(That's the first step, anyway... assuming you've installed the game)

I meant how do I start playing again after not playing for a month.
Mad Poster
#30356 Old 4th Oct 2022 at 9:17 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 4th Oct 2022 at 9:34 PM.
See the rest of the post above

I haven't played in at least a couple months, I think... Honestly can't remember. My game data indicates almost 3 months (not Bodyshop, that's more recent). I seriously need to get things going with some stuff I've planned...

Anyway, the point is, either fall into old habits and do what you always do with the game (if that's what you like to do), or if you're bored or don't quite know what to do, try something new - like a challenge, or play a premade neighborhood you rarely play, build a house, or download sims someone else made and make them an interesting storyline. The thing you do doesn't have to be anything elaborate, but just enough to get you excited for the game again. Learning something new can also be fun, like creating CC (recoloring, converting objects, meshing, etc. - can be enough to just dip your toes into it, doesn't have to be anything elaborate). If I hadn't learned how to make CC, I think I would've already been bored with the game a very long time ago - it's one of the things that keeps the creative juices going for me, even when I'm not playing.
Mad Poster
#30357 Old 4th Oct 2022 at 9:19 PM
@dnov -You're not the only one to have taken a month long break from the game.I just loaded my Pleasantview game up after taking an unintended break for over a month myself and tested a Mod to dsiable that no assosiated suubhoods popup when my town loads and it didn't show up.I also changed the rooftop design for both my service center and homestead to straw CC style which looks like the right thing.
Test Subject
#30358 Old 4th Oct 2022 at 11:10 PM
I've noticed people don't react to my comments anymore, figures.
Instructor
#30359 Old 4th Oct 2022 at 11:15 PM
I think it's important to get a hood up and running first of all - at least that's how it is for me. I enjoy hunting down cc but I don't enjoy making the decisions of what cc to actually use, or if I'm going to use cc at all, so if I don't start actually playing before I start making decisions, I just get bored and uninspired. Instead, I decide what neighbourhood, terrain map, sim, etc, I'm going to start with and then I build as little as possible beforehand, the most important thing is to see those little characters walk around - that gives me more ideas and makes it easier to make decisions I have to make.

But about cc hunting for an early 2000s feel: I have loads of fun digging through really early downloads on MTS. Very often I find things I used ages ago and forgot the existence of, and now think I might want to use again. There's also simscave and the graveyard, where it's fun to just do some cc archaeology now and then. If you want to make old school machinima scenes you can find loads of useful poseboxes in the threads about old asian sites on simscave, for example.
Mad Poster
#30360 Old 5th Oct 2022 at 12:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dnov

Could be a few reasons for that.
1. Not everyone gets online at the same time (we do live all around the world)
2. No one understood what you wanted You need to elaborate more instead of being vague (like... do you need help in starting your game or do you need help starting a neighborhood? or do you need help in creating a sims, etc?)
3. We all play different styles and it's not up to us to tell you how to play your game.

I have never seen this community ignore anyone's question.
Mad Poster
#30361 Old 5th Oct 2022 at 12:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AnMal
But about cc hunting for an early 2000s feel: I have loads of fun digging through really early downloads on MTS. Very often I find things I used ages ago and forgot the existence of, and now think I might want to use again.

Quite a lot of my downloads are from the early 2005-2010 era (the stuff in my Downloads folder, that is). A lot of it is good, though I have found some questionable pieces when I've looked through it while trying to organize it all (it was a mess, it's been a mess, now it's starting to look like a place where I can find stuff somewhat easily instead of guessing my way through 1000+ folders). I've found some treasures (stuff I'd forgotten I had and absolutely will find a use for), but also a lot of junk (good riddance, if you ask me).

Not all of it is in a particular 2000-era style, though. I prefer clothes that have a somewhat modern feel to them - pretty much anything kinda generic from roughly 90s to 2020s goes.

We've been reacting to your comments several times today, so no idea what you mean
Alchemist
#30362 Old 5th Oct 2022 at 2:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AnMal
but I don't enjoy making the decisions of what cc to actually use

Oh my gosh, this so much!
I was kinda in the same boat last month, dnov. I hadn't played the game for a while because I was busy job hunting and then I moved so my simming computer was basically packed up. And before that, I hadn't played for a better part of last year because my old computer died and I couldn't get TS2 running on my laptop. So when I was finally able to play a bit more regularly this Fall, I was at a bit of a loss for what to do. A part of me wants to pick up where I left off--but that was building and renovating, so the other part of me wants to jump in and play something.

Like simmer22 said, premades are great to play if you just want to pick up and play and try things out/mess around. That's what I did. But for more long term play, especially as my simming time becomes more limited, I'm trying to plan out my game more, like AnMal suggested. I'm deciding what hoods I want to use and play and what type of gameplay style I want to go for, or aspects of the games I'd like to focus on, and yes, what cc do I need. The cc part has me flip-flopping every few days--I can't decide if I want a retro hood, something contemporary or a hood set in the middle of nowhere making use of all those Sun and Moon sets!

So I'd say do what you're doing now, ask other simmers, read about others' games, and look on tumblr. Find something that you'd like to do or try and then just go for it.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Mad Poster
#30363 Old 5th Oct 2022 at 2:24 AM
Personally, I have my base stuff (defaults, mods/hacks, and a few other things) that I always have in my game, and then I have all the old items I need because of my old lots and sims won't work without them, and then I've added on some CC I've more recently downloaded and/or made, which I know I'll need for my next projects.

I'll download stuff I like all the time, but only a small handful actually gets into my game, because I know I have way too much in there already (and probably should remove some...). The rest hangs out either on my computer or on an external harddrive. That way I know I have it (in case it goes missing from the original page, which happens quite frequent of late), and my hoarding tendencies get satisfied without my game getting too cluttered. It's a LOT easier for me to have a "quarantining bin" for CC than to decide there and then whether to put something in my game (like I used to do back in the days, which is why my game got cluttered in the first place).

I'd not function if I had to just wipe out everything and start from scratch, because a whole lot of my stuff is so old and forgotten it practically doesn't exist anywhere else than in my Downloads folder (which is why I have a lot of backups).
Forum Resident
#30364 Old 5th Oct 2022 at 3:06 AM
Question~ why do some of my downloaded custom maps have ponds all over instead of trees? It's creeping me out.
Test Subject
#30365 Old 5th Oct 2022 at 3:26 AM
Swear everyone on the internet and this freaking website hates me. Back to square one, screw the internet.
Mad Poster
#30366 Old 5th Oct 2022 at 4:36 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 5th Oct 2022 at 3:01 PM.
Swear everyone on the internet and this freaking website hates me. Back to square one, screw the internet.

Okay, now I'm pretty sure this one is just trolling (had a strong feeling earlier, though) - back to our regularly scheduled programming, guys

Quote: Originally posted by kanzen
Question~ why do some of my downloaded custom maps have ponds all over instead of trees? It's creeping me out.

It's a known bug that makes the pond get distributed around as if it's a tree, possibly only happens with one of the terrains, but I'm not sure about that. I know there's a fix somewhere that fixes the category so this doesn't happen, but can't seem to find it (I have downloaded it at some point, so I know it exists).
Mad Poster
#30367 Old 5th Oct 2022 at 6:59 AM
[QUOTE=simmer22]Okay, now I'm pretty sure this one is just trolling - back to our regularly scheduled programming, guys

Met, too. Because you answered their first question and it was either the wrong answer or they didn't like your answer (which I'm pretty sure it was the last one). And I responded to their next post and I guess they didn't like my answer.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#30368 Old 5th Oct 2022 at 10:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kanzen

Hold down the escape key to delete them quickly!
Alchemist
#30369 Old 5th Oct 2022 at 3:59 PM
It's a known bug that makes the pond get distributed around as if it's a tree, possibly only happens with one of the terrains, but I'm not sure about that. I know there's a fix somewhere that fixes the category so this doesn't happen, but can't seem to find it (I have downloaded it at some point, so I know it exists).

@kanzen the fix is by Lowedeus

Mad Poster
#30370 Old 5th Oct 2022 at 4:38 PM
^ Knew I'd seen it somewhere! (downloading it for future reference!)
Mad Poster
#30371 Old 5th Oct 2022 at 6:05 PM
Trees (and the ponds) can also be removed with the Hood Replace program. It does delete all the trees, though.
Alchemist
#30372 Old 6th Oct 2022 at 4:37 PM
Can't decide if I need a thread so you guys tell me if so...
Simcity4 delux for making terrains. I did the 4gb patch and tried to use our sims 2 GRM (which is why I ask here), but it does not recognize the game. Supposedly it is meant to, according to the instruction page and to someone on the SC4 Discord, but I can't get it to. I tried just changing the sgr files myself and Windows thinks the game is using my dedicated GPU and the file said its using 4gb but the config log does not change to reflect that. Meanwhile the game loads fine and I added parameters to the shortcut target to increase the resolution and that works fine. So, should the config log change? Why wouldn't it? How can I tell if it is really using 4gb and graphics card? Oh, and should I start another thread somewhere? Where?
Mad Poster
#30373 Old 6th Oct 2022 at 5:08 PM
The config log should say 4096 GB for memory for these if you've set up the 4GB patch properly:
Memory: 4096MB
Free memory: 4096MB (as long as your computer, possibly also graphic card? has access to more than 4 GB).

The "Texture memory" can be a bit different, depending on what you've set it up as in the GRM (or manually, or not set up at all).

Graphic card info should be listing the card you have.

(Mine is listing Bodyshop atm, so I can't pull the proper info for my game without starting it up).

Make sure you check directly after having run the game. If you run Bodyshop or Homecrafter, both of those have individual GraphicRules files, but they'll pull their information into the same log file - you'll see which program was last loaded at the top.

I think you can search for the game manually in GRM using the "Browse..." button. Make sure you have the newest version from the GRM site - https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker
Alchemist
#30374 Old 6th Oct 2022 at 5:24 PM
The config log should say 4096 GB for memory for these if you've set up the 4GB patch properly:
Memory: 4096MB
Free memory: 4096MB (as long as your computer, possibly also graphic card? has access to more than 4 GB).

I think you can search for the game manually in GRM using the "Browse..." button. Make sure you have the newest version from the GRM site - https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker

Thanks for your help! I did check log after running, same as I would for sims 2, but no it does not show the changes. The 4gb patch made a backup and says it is successful, but the log shows 1gb for both. I tried the browse on grm but it just says nothing recognized when I get to the folder. Do you mean I should check to see if GRM can recognize sc4 after running sc4 or do you mean check the log after running? The log, I did.

ADDED: do you think I need to reinstall grm because I installed sc4 after it? Grm is the newest, btw.
Mad Poster
#30375 Old 6th Oct 2022 at 6:14 PM
Do you have your game installed in ProgramFiles or somewhere else? If in ProgramFiles, you could've run into Windows' issue with admin privilegies, where it says the file has been updated but it really hasn't. If so, try running the 4GB on (a copy of) the EXE file on the desktop, then move/replace with the original. That should do the trick.

You shouldn't have to reinstall GRM. It says it has support for SC4, so I think it should work for it (I don't have SC4 so can't help with any details). You may have to do a manual browse for the game folder, and it's possible it matters which folder you ask it to look for - I'm guessing the main folder is the one it's looking for, not the one with the GR files in it - but could be wrong.
Page 1215 of 1339