3 people viewing
Replies: 30381 (Who?), Viewed: 858911 times.
Page 1216 of 1216
Alchemist
#30376 Old Yesterday at 7:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
Do you have your game installed in ProgramFiles or somewhere else? If in ProgramFiles, you could've run into Windows' issue with admin privilegies, where it says the file has been updated but it really hasn't. If so, try running the 4GB on (a copy of) the EXE file on the desktop, then move/replace with the original. That should do the trick.

You shouldn't have to reinstall GRM. It says it has support for SC4, so I think it should work for it (I don't have SC4 so can't help with any details). You may have to do a manual browse for the game folder, and it's possible it matters which folder you ask it to look for - I'm guessing the main folder is the one it's looking for, not the one with the GR files in it - but could be wrong.


Just to pass on what I've learned so far: I did need to reinstall GRM because I had not told it to load the plugin for SC4 the first time I installed, since, at the time, I didn't know that was a thing. GRM does use the main SC4 folder where the graphicrules.sgr file is, not the App folder where the exe is. SC4 log still insists it is using my Intel integrated card though, even though every setting elsewhere says Nvidia. Sigh.

I did the 4gb patch over again on the desktop just in case, but nothing changed with that either. The little success popup says it did it, it appears to change the exe and adds the backup, but the log for SC4 does not change from 1GB. Maybe I just don't understand something about the log. :P

I may have to use a wrapper for SC4 but I don't want to and, honestly, it looks better than it did on my old laptop before I knew I could change the resolution, so....
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#30377 Old Yesterday at 9:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrader
Just to pass on what I've learned so far: I did need to reinstall GRM because I had not told it to load the plugin for SC4 the first time I installed, since, at the time, I didn't know that was a thing. GRM does use the main SC4 folder where the graphicrules.sgr file is, not the App folder where the exe is. SC4 log still insists it is using my Intel integrated card though, even though every setting elsewhere says Nvidia. Sigh.

I did the 4gb patch over again on the desktop just in case, but nothing changed with that either. The little success popup says it did it, it appears to change the exe and adds the backup, but the log for SC4 does not change from 1GB. Maybe I just don't understand something about the log. :P

I may have to use a wrapper for SC4 but I don't want to and, honestly, it looks better than it did on my old laptop before I knew I could change the resolution, so....


I play SC4 and have started making terrains. Apart from the GRM, I also use the Win10 function as described here: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=667347
(Hope it helps).
Mad Poster
#30378 Old Yesterday at 9:53 PM
^ If you have a separate graphic card (I know this works for Nvidia, not sure for others), you can go into its settings and manually choose for the program to auto-run with the card every time you open the program.

Alchemist
#30379 Old Yesterday at 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpetro
I play SC4 and have started making terrains. Apart from the GRM, I also use the Win10 function as described here: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=667347
(Hope it helps).



Hmmm, I had actually done that with SC4 but it never occurred to me to do it with BS, even though I had changed the graphicsrules and applied the 4gb to BS, so cool beans on that.

For the launch options, are you talking about adding parameters to the target in the shortcut because I did that for the resolution, CPU, and intro off. But like the other poster on the thread you linked, my card just doesn't show in the log.

As for setting the Nvidia options, I had already set those to be used with SC4, Sims 2, and BS. Incidentally, I added 4gb patch to SimPE, too. Seems like it loads faster but haven't tested too scientifically.

@Justpetro would you mind sharing your SC4 graphicrules so I can maybe see if I just made a mistake with it somewhere?
Field Researcher
#30380 Old Yesterday at 11:53 PM
Sunrader, don't know if this is helpful at all, but on this computer (Win 10) I couldn't get the OS to stop overriding my graphics card settings. I resorted to right clicking on the Sims 2 icon and choose "Run with -> High functioning Nvidia graphics processor" every time I start the game. This at least makes Windows run the game with the dedicated graphics card and it has solved some issues I had before.
Alchemist
#30381 Old Today at 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnMal
Sunrader, don't know if this is helpful at all, but on this computer (Win 10) I couldn't get the OS to stop overriding my graphics card settings. I resorted to right clicking on the Sims 2 icon and choose "Run with -> High functioning Nvidia graphics processor" every time I start the game. This at least makes Windows run the game with the dedicated graphics card and it has solved some issues I had before.


I used to do this in Win 7, too (never had Win 8 - 10), but I can't find any similar command on Win 11. I did change it in the Win 11 Settings/Graphics and in the Nvidia Control Panel, though.
Mad Poster
#30382 Old Today at 7:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrader
@Justpetro would you mind sharing your SC4 graphicrules so I can maybe see if I just made a mistake with it somewhere?


I uploaded the graphic rules and the video cards for you : https://simfileshare.net/filedetails/3487298/ and https://simfileshare.net/download/3487297/ -
Page 1216 of 1216
Back to top